Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stupid customers <bangs head>

I was super excited to see the Bakery in the store, so I purchase it, installed and had my Sim buy it. I put my Sim’s needs on static so she can make a butt load of goodies to put in the cases. My Sim goes to make cupcakes and what happens? A freaking customer comes around the counter and starts making cupcakes! I said, “That’s it, I’m putting in a door and keeping these people out. I figured it would be simple right? Wrong. Added a gate…no option to lock, just, “real estate.” So I broke down the counters, added in a wall and a door. Still no option. I googled and googled, cannot seem to find an answer.

Anyone here can tell how to keep customers from coming behind the counter? Please no MODs, always have an issue with those. I do not care if I have to type in some code or smash the place down to do it, this is driving me crazy. And IF there is no way, then there really is no point in owning this much wanted venue.

Please for the love of cupcakes help restore my sanity before I shove these customers in a small room and have them fight to the death. :twisted:

Comments

• Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited April 2014
    In Build/Buy Mode, did you Ctrl+Shift+Click the gate to lock it.

Well in doing that, the only issue I find is that your sim yourself cannot get in there themselves, and the sim that runs the register can't leave.
  • Options
    DezmeriaDezmeria Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited April 2014
    Um, no I did not do that and not having them be able to leave would be an issue.

So is there NO way to keep customers out of the work area...none?
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,924 Member
    edited April 2014
    Dezmeria wrote:
    Um, no I did not do that and not having them be able to leave would be an issue.

So is there NO way to keep customers out of the work area...none?

I think a lot of people have decided to bake at home and stock the she's from the sims inventory.

Whether you use mats or not seems to be different depending on the lot type.
  • Options
    DezmeriaDezmeria Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I set the lot type to what it said too: "Hangout."

I really don't see a point then in even bother keeping this place under my Sim's management. I is it really that hard for E.A. to come out with an "Employees Only" door? Gesh.
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited April 2014
    Dezmeria wrote:

Anyone here can tell how to keep customers from coming behind the counter? Please no MODs,

Take out the door, or put a wall up. Hope that helps and disregard if it doesn't.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited April 2014
    I think, if you have the Barrier to Entry System from the store, you could use those doors. They can be locked from specific sims on community lots.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a sculptor's shop waiting for my future sculptor sim. I placed a Barrier to Entry -door there, and I'll lock it so that the townies can't get to the "back room", where my sim will do her sculpting and glass blowing.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited April 2014
    Wrap around counters.
    Connect them all the way to the wall, so there are no openings.
    Testingcheatsenabled true.
    Teleport your sim behind the counter.
    Wah-Lah.
    Your sim is moved.
    No customers behind the counter.
    If you want your sim out.
    Teleport out.
    May be silly, but there ya go.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kati77 wrote:
    I think, if you have the Barrier to Entry System from the store, you could use those doors. They can be locked from specific sims on community lots.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a sculptor's shop waiting for my future sculptor sim. I placed a Barrier to Entry -door there, and I'll lock it so that the townies can't get to the "back room", where my sim will do her sculpting and glass blowing.

I tried it and I needed to have an NPC in there too but that isn't possible so it didn't work for me. I could only specify my own sim. Not the one I hired. Still thinking about it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Wrap around counters.
    Wah-Lah.
    Your sim is moved.
    Teleport out.

Thought of that one too. Doesn't work for my hired help though. :cry:
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited April 2014
    Here's a solution:

1. Have your layout look like this with a door that enters the area: Bedroom, Bathroom, Kitchen, Living Room, Store.

proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-XxsAFBBOTts%2FU0OH5EE_ZWI%2FAAAAAAAANFk%2FrYU2MJy0OHk%2Fs1600%2FScreenshot-3.jpg&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*

2. Make sure you own the lot

3. Make your sim enter said area through the door to the living room.

4. Go into Build/Buy Mode.

5: Lock Door to living room.

And Voila your sims can run their own bakery, live there, and not let another sims get to it. :lol::lol:

Plus your sim can run the register too, not the NPC
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    AznSensei wrote:
    Here's a solution:

1. Have your layout look like this with a door that enters the area: Bedroom, Bathroom, Kitchen, Living Room, Store.

proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-XxsAFBBOTts%2FU0OH5EE_ZWI%2FAAAAAAAANFk%2FrYU2MJy0OHk%2Fs1600%2FScreenshot-3.jpg&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*

2. Make sure you own the lot

3. Make your sim enter said area through the door to the living room.

4. Go into Build/Buy Mode.

5: Lock Door to living room.

And Voila your sims can run their own bakery, live there, and not let another sims get to it. :lol::lol:

Plus your sim can run the register too, not the NPC

Is this meant to be a joke?

• Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited April 2014
    Karritz wrote:
    Wrap around counters.
    Wah-Lah.
    Your sim is moved.
    Teleport out.

Eh, I always thought the hired help was pointless... the npc's never buy from the register anyways. They just take their pies and run for the hills and we magically get their simoleons~ xD
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited April 2014
    Wrap around counters.
    Wah-Lah.
    Your sim is moved.
    Teleport out.

Good idea. If I ever get the bakery and no mod has been added to keep the townies out of the baking area, I'll probably employ this strategy. In the meantime, the word is voila, not wah-lah.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited April 2014
    Karritz wrote:
    kati77 wrote:

I tried it and I needed to have an NPC in there too but that isn't possible so it didn't work for me. I could only specify my own sim. Not the one I hired. Still thinking about it.

I was aware that I could probably only specify my own sim. But it's not a problem, since anyone can get behind the counter. There's just nothing interesting there, so I suppose most sims will stay away. So, I can hire someone to handle the register, but only my sim will be able to enter the back room.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Karritz wrote:
    Wrap around counters.
    Wah-Lah.
    Your sim is moved.
    Teleport out.

Eh, I always thought the hired help was pointless... the npc's never buy from the register anyways. They just take their pies and run for the hills and we magically get their simoleons~ xD

I know. But I was experimenting with WA Food register and the Bistro Oven and the UL Barista Bar. All use NPCs. I've seen the chef take orders and serve meals. The Bistro attendant refused to serve my sim with a cup if herb tea. I sent my sim home when it looked like he was going to fight him for it. :lol:
  • Options
    chasingAJchasingAJ Posts: 802 New Member
    edited April 2014
    I haven't bought this venue yet, I'm still trying to figure out how it will work in my game and I'm only stealing away a few minutes here and there since I'm supposed to be doing work. BUT.

I was thinking that you could put the register in a different area than the equipment to bake if the baking equipment is the problem. Put a teleporter pad in the baking area and just teleport out. Now I'm tempted to open the game to peek and see how that would work. :twisted:
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited April 2014
    I set my bakery up without an oven at all, half walls behind the displays and the townies now have no reason to go behind the counters so they don't:

Halfwalls.jpg

But if you want to bake on the premises, maybe you could do it in a little back-room and keep all the interesting stuff for the townies away from the oven so hopefully they won't go there. Maybe if they had some other activity to keep them in the front room?

I've also used a WA food till or the uni barista bar in place of the bakery till and those work well if you'd like townies to eat on the premises (though someone else actually had their townies buying baked goods and eating them there).
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm getting my 2 genies to prepare the food at home. They are amazingly good at it and fast too. I have to pause the game to queue up 8 dishes for each of them to summon. Then I have to make sure there are 16 bench spaces empty. I move the food to bakery storage shelves while the game is paused. When I've got enough filled I'll put all the food into someone's inventory and then go to the store and drag it from their inventory and place it into the storage racks and displays in the store.

If I get them to summon the food in the store, I have to use Buy Mode to put the items into the displays.

EDIT: This is what I saw at one point when I paused the game.
    Bakery0025.jpg"width=680"

Bakery0026.jpg"width=680"

Then I unpaused it to let them move apart and paused again and got this shot.
    Bakery0027.jpg"width=680"

I moved all their food to the empty display cases so it doesn't go bad while they are summoning more. I think I will eventually work it out and know what I actually really want in the displays. I am currently just clicking things and seeing what happens. The more I do the more ideas I get to make it easier. That doesn't mean I am happy with the way it is designed to work. But it is what we have so we have to make it work in a way that isn't totally painful to do.

They move so fast that I can't actually see what they are doing. It is much better than using the stove if you want a lot of food in a hurry. :lol:
  • Options
    Mazzy_elfMazzy_elf Posts: 55 Member
    edited April 2014
    I think an employee only door is the only good idea XD
    I tried CTRL+Shifting in build mode and set it to "NPCS Unable to use door" or something like that... but they still do.
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited April 2014
    Make an employees only baking room and give yourself lots of counter space. Then lock the door by doing the following:

Shift+Ctrl+click while in build mode, this will give you the option to Lock the door. However, if you do that, YOUR Sim will be unable to use the door! So the option you need to choose after this is:

"Add the ability to add triggers and activated behaviors"

THEN you must shift+Ctrl+click on the door AGAIN and then choose:

"Make unusable by NPCs"

NOW your Sim can use the door but no one else can.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    edited April 2014
    I don't think that we should have to use cheats and build walls around the sims it is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe that we are that stupid and we keep buying things like this from the store. There are a lot of things in the store that do not work right along with the EP things that don'w work right. I can't wait until SIms 4 comes out not buying it, but I love to read see what EA does with it. Glad I use my sponsor points not wasting any more money on this crap.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited April 2014
    Candy... I wonder why you don't use your points to gift someone who will appreciate it. It makes me sad you don't enjoy the things you have when there are hundreds of people who can't afford, or who can't purchase the content, who would very much like to have it. :?
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited April 2014
    I have been having so much fun with this venue and building my own bakeries! Having to lock doors to keep customers out isn't a new thing, this was something that we had to do in The Sims 2 as well. This venue and premium content does something I wanted the Savvy Sellers Collection to do. I wanted this to require us to restock the shelves and we have to! It adds a lot more interaction with the game.

With the SSC you could just put stuff for sale and that would be it, any sense of accomplishment was gone after that. With the BBC you need to keep on top of your stock, then there's the profit margin too. While you can just buy stuff from the grocery store, it makes more sense financially to grow the produce yourself. Add that to the chicken coop for the eggs and you have even more profit to make!

This set also ties in well with the farming sets too, not only the chicken coop, but the tractor and green house too. Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase, I think that the Store team did a fantastic job with this set :D
  • Options
    marinegirl36marinegirl36 Posts: 266 Member
    edited April 2014
    tamalinn wrote:

Good idea. If I ever get the bakery and no mod has been added to keep the townies out of the baking area, I'll probably employ this strategy. In the meantime, the word is voila, not wah-lah.

There is a mod out there that is supposed to let you lock doors on a community lot. I have downloaded and installed it but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I just now finished, well somewhat finished still have more decor items I could put up, my bakery/deli/restaurant. I will test it out tonight, if I have time, and let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited April 2014
    Weealbet wrote:
    I have been having so much fun with this venue and building my own bakeries! Having to lock doors to keep customers out isn't a new thing, this was something that we had to do in The Sims 2 as well. This venue and premium content does something I wanted the Savvy Sellers Collection to do. I wanted this to require us to restock the shelves and we have to! It adds a lot more interaction with the game.

With the SSC you could just put stuff for sale and that would be it, any sense of accomplishment was gone after that. With the BBC you need to keep on top of your stock, then there's the profit margin too. While you can just buy stuff from the grocery store, it makes more sense financially to grow the produce yourself. Add that to the chicken coop for the eggs and you have even more profit to make!

This set also ties in well with the farming sets too, not only the chicken coop, but the tractor and green house too. Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase, I think that the Store team did a fantastic job with this set :D

tumblr_m85bw9fGtf1rqfhi2o1_500.gif