Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you make your own houses? How many have you made?

naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
I found out my friend always builds their own. That seems like so much work.

I made three houses within my five years of playing the sims. The first two were within the first three years, and then I gave up for a while because it was too difficult for me. Building to get the right shape, decorating, making enough bathrooms...always forgot to have more than one bathroom!

Sometimes I cruise the town for a pretty house and then steal it from a premade. :twisted:
Other times, from The Sims Resource.

Where do you get yours, if you don't build one?
And if you do build your own, do you use a reference?
Oh, and feel free to post pictures!

Comments

• Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited March 2014
    Ooh, interesting question!

I build all my own. Sometimes I have one or two by others in my towns, but I don't use them for my active households. I don't look at building as work - it's actually the main appeal of the game for me.

I do love downloading community lots from other simmers though because I am not very good at them.

It's hard to say how many I've built, but definitely something in the triple digits. Maybe around 250? Am on my iPad right now so I'll share some pictures of my favourites later :-)
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    luvalphvleluvalphvle Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited March 2014
    I love building my own! I tend to build more than I actually play.
  • Options
    EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited March 2014
    I build my own in Sims3, however I didn't very much in the earlier versions of sims. I would just decorate in those.

I use floorplans online at times, or just start building and expanding according to my imagination, or look at pictures to get inspiration.

Here is my creation thread with indexes to builds, sims and pets on the second and third posts.

I also create for dna build team; which you can check out by clicking my siggy. There are numerous builds to chose from and you can also put in requests to have builds, sims, or pets created especially for you. :D
    oow785m
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2014
    So far I don't build from scratch. I did frequently build in TS2 but in TS3 I tend to find an EA house I'm mostly ok with and then customize it the way I want. I tend not to redecorate it much either. Building is one think for me, but redecorating drives me nuts.
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'd say it's 50/50 for me. Some pre-made houses are just right, but I redecorate. Other times I need to make their house. Takes a while but it's worth it.
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    emptyGforceemptyGforce Posts: 117 New Member
    edited March 2014
    I've only made one house in The Sims 3; I built even more houses for The Sims 2.
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    edited March 2014
    For me, it depends.

If I don't feel like building, I'll just move the Sims I'm controlling into a house within their price range.

Whenever I do feel like building them a new house, I just move them onto an empty lot and work with the funds they have.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    Andromache2013Andromache2013 Posts: 277 Member
    edited March 2014
    I tend to make a lot of houses but that's more for people.

Personally, the one thing that I must commend the Sims team for is the incredible and absolutely gorgeous architecture that they've produced, especially in towns like Monte Vista.

So, nowadays, I just use already built houses unless as I said ^^ I'm making ranches for people.

I've probably made about... 20 lots? Those are the ones I've uploaded to my studio. If you want to take a look here are a few: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Andromache2013/mystudio
  • Options
    FlashygrrlFlashygrrl Posts: 634 Member
    edited March 2014
    Usually I don't build my own, I just move them into a pre-made, however I recently decided to challenge myself (and my Sim) by starting her on a lot with a sleeping bag, firepit and funds set to zero. As she earned money her house got built...it was interesting to say the least since most of her earliest furniture was from dumpster diving. You could always give that a shot and see how it eventually ends up!
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited March 2014
    Not too often. I usually take a pre-made home and add on to it. I have built a couple of new houses from the ground up.

My first house was a three floor house with 3bed/2bath configuration WITH a two floor (pool)house with 1bed/1bath on the same lot.

Porchesmain-house_zps4c421717.jpg"width=640"

Main house

Poolhouseandpool_zpsb23d3f1a.jpg"width=640"

Pool house and pool

As for references, I usually go to housing websites like Jim Walter Homes and various mobile home pages. While a single-wide might not be the size you need (or your taste), a double-wide usually makes a nice house. Hope this helps.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'd say it's 50/50 for me. Some pre-made houses are just right, but I redecorate. Other times I need to make their house. Takes a while but it's worth it.

I do pretty much the same. I like some pre-made houses, but I always edit them, at least to redecorate in colors and styles I like better, but sometimes to move or remove walls, fireplaces, or other build items. As to how many I've made, I really don't know, lots and lots. I've deleted most of my earlier builds, because I've improved considerably since I first started. It took a long time before I finally made a multi-story house that I was happy with. I finally succeeded at that because by that time I had played in enough pre-made multi-level houses to have a good idea of what features I like and don't like. I've re-edited and improved many of my houses and deleted the originals. So, even if I counted how many I have in my library right now, it's probably only a fraction of the total number I've built in the not quite two years since I started playing.
  • Options
    MarLee67MarLee67 Posts: 217 Member
    edited March 2014
    I build, build, build! It's as much fun as playing my sims is for me. I take forever on most second homes but starter homes I kinda have a quick interior style and I just try to customize the exterior. Every time I'm working on a new build I'll say I think this is my favorite of all the houses I've ever built. :lol:
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited March 2014
    I start my Sims off on empty lots and throw up walls to keep the snow off them. I'm not so sure I'd claim that's "building a house". On occasion I have been known to recreate real-world buildings, especially the house I'm living in at the time for my SimSelf. Maybe some day I'll take the time and effort to do a proper construction for my Sim, but for now I'm happy with plain boxes, and they aren't complaining.
  • Options
    MartuniMartuni Posts: 702 Member
    edited March 2014
    I build all my own houses. I like them colorful and playable. Sometimes I use 'moveobjects on' and make bizarre houses, like with lakes or dinosaurs indoors. :mrgreen:

They're not architectural wonders, but I have lots of fun. :mrgreen:

This is one of my latest ones:

screenshot_original.jpg"width=480""height=320"
  • Options
    ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    edited March 2014
    I've tried to build my own houses, but I can't seem to do it. I don't like how they look, and I never make it past the 1st floor. I give up and tear the homes down. I usually find a premade home and redecorate it. It is much easier to do that.

I build my own businesses and nightclubs though. I'm not good at that either, but I rarely tear those down.

Plus, The Exchange has a lot of beautiful homes.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    edited March 2014
    I always make my own houses! Simply because I am very finicky about certain things and then I do not care about other things, and nobody can get it just right.

I've seen hundred of stunning houses, yet there's always something I'd change if I played it anyway, so why not build something myself.

I'm not too good making layouts of houses, but I love interior decorating. Though sometimes I get really sick of it. I also love using weird wallpapers, haha I love weird patterns of 70s wallpaper. Sickly looking mushrooms? No probs!

Also, I prefer my houses on just one level (I tend to stop playing houses with staircases for some reason.)

This is my most recent house, in a sort of desert-ish place. I'm still on a retro-feel for the houses. I don't think that will go away. The 60s/70s style of one-story houses with almost flat roofs just fits my style of building too much.

55--7_zps58566004.jpg

55--6_zps8b4aec13.jpg

This is what started my taste for these types of houses. I had just seen the movie Breezy and wanted to create something similar.

retro21_zps39d76ef7.jpg

retro1_zpsa9bf99ff.jpg

retro2_zps8aeb7b5a.jpg
  • Options
    hazeleyedgrl123hazeleyedgrl123 Posts: 24 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Back when I played the Sims 2, I used to always build my houses. I loved knowing everything about the house and not worrying about what useless stuff is in it, like CC houses. When I started playing the Sims 3, I focused more on learning how to play the game rather than building, so I downloaded a handful of houses and used the in-game ones. Recently I've missed building, so I have started building all of my own houses now. I usually reference house plan websites, find one that I like and then copy it down onto graph paper. I find it a lot more fun when I get to build and decorate an entire house that my simmies get use. :)
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited March 2014
    NEVER build my own. All exchange
  • Options
    SimFanAJSimFanAJ Posts: 2,755 Member
    edited March 2014
    I've only build maybe 4 houses from scratch since I started playing this game. And of the 4, I only like 2 of them. I'm not very gifted in the building department. :oops:

I use premade houses, but I end up changing them so much that they look like new. I hate how EA decorates.
    1stsiggy_zpsa76c2175.png
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2014
    Hi :D

I've enjoyed building houses and community lots since The Sims 2.
    I don't know how many I've made, I've lost many over the years because I thought I'd save the Save file but then *Poof* I delete the world or clean out my files where I seem to misplace them. :lol:
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited March 2014
    retro2_zps8aeb7b5a.jpg

I love the look of this house.
  • Options
    FryeGuy24FryeGuy24 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited March 2014
    I always build my sims' houses, as well as any new unique community lots that I want to add to town. If I'm starting a new household, I'll put them in an EA starter house in town, but that just gives me more incentive to get them working hard and earning money so they could move into something nice that I build for them.

Right now, I'm working on customizing Bridgeport, and my favorite "starter home" in the set so far is actually nothing more than an underground sewer system, complete with "vile surroundings" moodlet. After I built that lot, I decided that I'm probably going to play the sim who'll live there. It's just more fun for me when you can tie the lot into the sim's backstory and personality, and custom build it for that sim.

fryesims_sewer01_zps213fa9e9.jpg

shakeninsane - I really love your shots, especially that last picture in your set. I'd want to live there myself.
  • Options
    ddsims3worldddsims3world Posts: 4,519 Member
    edited March 2014
    I do make my own houses & have plenty of builds as it's hard to count when I do make revisions. I don't use any references or make blueprints for the house build.

13259344875_fedfa2d02d_z.jpg

^ Newest one ^

12232650636_ebfc42ea77_z.jpg

^ Revision ^

These 2 houses are going to be on the exchange next month!
  • Options
    cemole4235cemole4235 Posts: 344 New Member
    edited March 2014
    I can't build to save my life. :? And I don't download many houses because for some reason my game can't handle MOO, so I usually just redecorate the premades. The houses in Moonlight Falls, for example, are really pretty. And one of these days I'll own Dragon Valley so I can have those adorable Celtic/Tudor homes :mrgreen:
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited March 2014
    I build most of my houses for my Sims and have done it since TS2 and had to in TS3 because most of the premade homes weren't very well designed.I've got at least a few starter homes and bigger houses in my studio and I also often use lots from the library I saved after building if I'm using a premade.I'm playing a town legacy challenge where I started on an empty lot and buying it took almost all of the family's money,but it's the biggest lot size and they only have to build their house.I also have to populate the town and manage the town and the story progression manually with a little help from story progression and the other NRaas Mods I use.
    Here's the Jankowsky house and the barn they built for Racer.
    13343448684_8bec713e98_z.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg