The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simming Habits. What's yours?

Mine are

My Sims always have to have fence around their house
I never/rarely make fat Sims, Sims with glasses or hats
My Sims always have to have a pet in the household
My Sims can only have one 'negative' trait
I never use money cheats (thanks butterfly61 for reminding me of this. Unintentionally of course lol)

edit: more to add
I never make whole families in CAS-just Single Sims or couples
Until recently, I've never played on Free Will
I rarely go to the festivals
I rarely use Premade houses, unless it's the only houses my Sims can afford at the time. Most of the time, I try to build them a house with their leftover funds
Sims almost never go on vacation
I don't really play premade families but most of them I'm fascinated by though.

No wonder my games are boring. I have no variety. :(

I have more but these are just off the top of my head, when I think of more, I will post them.

Comments

• Options
    butterfly61butterfly61 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited March 2014
    I never use the money cheat.
    My adults always have jobs, sometimes several different jobs over the long life I have set.
    Because of the SP mod my couples quickly move in together.
    My sims also never wear glasses, even though I do IRL :oops:
  • Options
    DudeThatsErinDudeThatsErin Posts: 550
    edited March 2014
    Rarely do my sims wear glasses/hats.
    Most of the time my sims have at least 1 animal in their household.
    All of my households have alarm systems.
    I try and not use the money cheat but most of the time I can't help it.
    I usually play one game until I am bored and then stop and start another save.
    Takes me hours to make my sims and I just started my first ever save where one of the sims was mostly randomized. Never have done that before.
    I never create young (child/toddler) sims.
    I always make a man and a woman.
    They always fall in love and have children.
    My house always has a pool.

Wow...didn't realize my sim-lives were so boring.....I need some variety.
  • Options
    CloverreaCloverrea Posts: 134 Member
    edited March 2014
    - I always try to have at least two children. (I always end up having like 4 or five :o)
    - My Sims always get married before or after having a kid.
    - My adult Sims must have a job.
    - I never let my Sims cheat or stray from their significant other. (Even if they grow apart)
    - I have to have at least two pets.
    - My sims are almost never overweight.
    - I generally do not choose negative traits. (Unless I end up not choosing.
    - When my sims are children I tend to not pay attention to them as much until they grow up to a teen.
    - I noticed that I only really choose between a few lifetime wishes when creating Sims or when the kids grow up.

I have to say I am a pretty repetitive simmer... I feel like I need to be a little more risky. I don't think I have really ever played a Sim and not gotten in a relationship with another Sim lol... Like I rarely let my Sims cheat or explore dating with multiple Sims.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,924 Member
    edited March 2014
    My sims have to get at least one charisma point once they become teens.

Each house has a garden with at least one apple tree and lettuce plant. (Typically, it has all of the common plants.)

I used to micromanage them, but recently I pick one and let the others do their own thing until done. At parties sims I usually just watch them.

The school-aged sims always talk to friends at school.

Only attractive sims can earn the "attractive" reward.

In s2, I used to have 2 sims play chess when I wanted them to become friends, but that doesn't work in s3. Now I just have them meet friends so that they can become "local celebrities" so they can get the friendship boost.

• Options
    rjdreamer53rjdreamer53 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2014
    Well , I usually start off with a young adult female.
    I don't usually have pets, cause I keep my sim on the go too much for the commitment.
    I don't do hats or glasses unless it is winter wear.
    I like them to have alarms systems , even if I have to put up just one wall.
    I try to start my sim out on an empty lot and earn the money to get ahead enough to build or move. I try not to use the money cheat.
    My Sim is required to learn as much as possible , especially concerning the young again potion , either by chemistry or by Alchemy.
    My Sim goes where ever she is directed or sometimes her wish. I will concide sometimes... :shock:
    She usually has several boyfriends or suitors, but once they get truly involved , I usually start a new game. I just can't deal with the commitment or the constraint on the relationship.

My Sim would not be boring if I didn't micromanage all her time...I am such a freak.... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited March 2014
    I never make sim with hats, although I don't mind a hairband or clip.

Cancelling newspaper delivery is always the first thing I make them do.

I almost always clean up the dishes and put up the leftovers myself because it wastes so much of their valuable time to make them do it.

In order to get them to work on time, I'll make them get out of the shower a few minutes early and move on to the next task, because the hygeine bar continues to fill up for a few seconds of real time, saving up to an hour of sim-time.

I never let them get jobs that I consider boring, like the business career.

I never let them buy sprinklers.

I almost always change their hair and clothes when they age up.

I never let my teens get after school jobs.

I never let my kids/teens do any actual work at school until they've made a few friends.

There are a few dresses and hairstyles I won't use because I associate them so strongly with one particular sim.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited March 2014
    I generally make my sims make their beds as soon as they get up.
    I don't make sims with glasses or hats, even in swimwear and winter.
    I love making single parent/grandparent sims (mom or dad with a child or grandparent raising a child).
    I no longer use money cheats since learning the dog hunting/werewolf hunting trick.
    My witch sims always have at least one cat, sometimes 2 or 3.
    I level up Charisma and Social Networking as soon as possible with most sims.
    Careers bore me.
    I go to the festivals, at least, every holiday.
    When I go to university, my sim almost always becomes a rebel.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited March 2014
    I always used to have my Sims start out in a tiny starter home with just a couple using the YA sprites and in EA worlds which I had to evict the Sims from the town before I could play there,but I have a town legacy challenge in Winfield which is a custom world and I only had to edit it to set it up for my game and I moved them onto a large empty lot and placed Garden House right near their home so they'd have a work place and somewhere to take care of themselves until they get their house built.I'm also playing with other households and using NRaas Mods to make that work in my games.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2014
    I always (so far) start with a single gay male sim who is in shape.
    He usually makes his fortune with aging off before setting down and having large numbers of kids.
    I never use glasses or hats and hate that I have to wait for the glasses to load up in CAS before I can select earrings.
    I don't have Pets but usually have a fish in a bowl.
    I always use premade houses and generally expand them as my sim needs space, or I move them into a larger home and/or larger lot.
    I rarely have my sim and his husband take regular jobs. Mostly they do other activities for money be it gardening, writing, and more recently sculpting and inventing, or nectar making. I just recently got Ambitions and haven't explored those professions yet, can't say how that will affect how I usually play.
    I always get an exercise machine as soon as my sim can afford one.
    I always send him, his children, and any sims that move in, to charisma class as soon as possible or as soon as I remember.
    I never use maids or the butler. I upgrade everything to be self-cleaning and just repair stuff as it breaks. I never have my sims make the bed unless they throw a party and even then I think it's probably pointless.
    I almost never use baby sitters, only when there are toddlers/infants in the house and I decide to send a pregnant sim to the hospital for the birth (which is rare, I prefer home births). I always have one parent (usually both) stay home to raise the kids.
    I always get my sims a hot tub. But not always a pool.
    I almost always play with high free will and queue up actions their every waking moment. Occasionally (especially when raising toddlers or throwing a party) I lower that to low free will, but that doesn't last long.
    I always get Steel Bladder as the first LTR, and usually Dirt Defiant and Hardly Hungry next, but with kids I'm starting to get Multi-Tasker after Steel Bladder.
    Once my sim has kids I never take the family anywhere. As a single sim, or even just a couple, though I will frequent the festivals (which I like) and bars.
    I never use money cheats, it's too easy to earn it the "hard" way in game.
    I just got WA and am still exploring that EP, so too early to say how much I'll send my sims off on vacation.
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,207 Member
    edited March 2014
    I don't like playing female Sims (strange, since I'm female myself).
    I always play the same pre-made Sims.
    I always make Sims either have lots of kids, or only one kid.
    I alternate between building houses, actually playing, and setting Sims I hate on fire.
    I will often end up playing a gay couple.
    I don't use money cheats.
    I use mods extensively.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited March 2014
    I never use money cheats.

My sims always have a hobby of some sort that is separate from their job.

My sims always have children.

None of my sims ever wear hats, but they do wear glasses.

I don't have that many habits, as every game I try to play differently.
  • Options
    ForeverFranconiaForeverFranconia Posts: 2,154 Member
    edited March 2014
    I always have to name my sims after a city, town, state, station, or neighborhood.
    I love my females to have nice curves.
    I never really played with townies.
  • Options
    DijanaMenatasDijanaMenatas Posts: 624 Member
    edited March 2014
    I actually just started a new game yesterday where I'm trying to break my simming habits.

-I never make a sim with glasses, so this one has them (girl in my sig)
    -I never do the WA stuff, so this sim is making a living off tomb exploration
    -I never marry my sims off anymore, so this one will settle down and have a bunch of kids (eventually)
    -I never have sims that aren't artsy, musical types. So this one's a brave, handy, heartbreaker type.

There are a few things I can't break my habit of though.

-Always have a dog. Even when I plan to have just a cat or minor pets, there's always a dog.
    -I never do rabbithole careers. My sims always have to be in a profession or self employed (or unemployed and making a living through various means)
    -All my sims have been related in some way. Even though I don't marry them, they usually have an illegitimate child somewhere, and eventually I get bored of playing that sim. So I start a new game and make an adult version of that child. Aside from my very first sim (which I guess has been remade now for this game), they've all been the child of the previous sim I played.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited March 2014
    I always play a new game with one sim, marry em off and have start a family.
    I almost always play a YA female (I have 15 sims total- only 3 of which are guys)
    (Just recently I noticed) I starting putting the ladies in dresses! I don't know when I started doing THAT! :shock:
    Most of my sim names come from either old (late 80's-early 90's) pc games, or from cartoons from the 80's!

Also, lot size permitting-

Porchesmain-house_zps4c421717.jpg"width=640"

Poolhouseandpool_zpsb23d3f1a.jpg"width=640"

I build TWO houses on the same lot (technically, the smaller "poolhouse" I always use as my private gym)
    I almost always put in a pool (I forgot in one of my games)
    My houses must have atleast two levels
    My houses must (big must) have bay windows that go up all the floors

This is all I can think of right now...
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,912 Member
    edited March 2014
    Bump. :D
  • Options
    SimFanAJSimFanAJ Posts: 2,755 Member
    edited March 2014
    I never build my Sims a house, I always move them into a premade.

I don't play premades/townies, only my own creations.

I can't play without cheats. :lol:

CC is a must, I hate most EA stuff.

Nearly all my male Sims have the Handy trait, and the females have Flirty.

Most of my Sim dogs end up living outside because I get tired of them chewing the furniture up.

All pets must have the Quiet trait! I hate the constant barking/meowing/etc.

That's all I can think of for now. I haven't actually "played" my Sims in awhile, I pretty much just model with them...

1stsiggy_zpsa76c2175.png
  • Options
    hamburgerfayehamburgerfaye Posts: 431 Member
    edited March 2014
    Im getting the jist that I am not the common simmer ;)
    I use a lot of cheats and CC and mods. I hate a vanilla game. Blah!
    I do not have a single set way of playing.
    I have made siblings, single sims, couples, single parents, lesbian sims, gay sims, big families, small families, poly-families, faithful sims and big-ol-hoe-bags in the same save game...
    oh one of my faves was a family of siblings.. a teen girl, a young adult girl, and a transgender sister (who was "born male") as well. They were a hoot!
    Sometimes I make new sims in CAS, sometimes I plop down families I love a lot from another neighborhood in my current hood to add some spice to the game or to play their lives out in a different manner.
    I really really do enjoy Born in Game sims tho and often save them to both the sim bin in CAS and the in game sim bin, too :D
    I like my sims to do something to earn money, but its not always the same.
    Sometimes they have rabbit hole careers, sometimes professions. Sometimes they sell items for a living (painter, crafter, etc) and sometimes they moonlit at bars for money. I had an awesome sim I played until he died of old age on a loooong looong setting that had a HUGE garden and he made so so so much money off of his money trees.
    Sometimes my sims take vacations, but not too often. Lately though they have been vacationing to the future quite a bit ;)
    One thing thats almost always solid in every household I have is Supes. I do love love love the occult sims, so much so that I rarely ever play with a human. Im like, human sim? Ew, yuck. HAHA ;) All of my absolute fave sims are hybrid (multiple occult) sims.
    Oh I always take toddlers into editsim as soon as they age to tot and make them young adults and see if their genetics need adjusting. I cant help it! I dont play with ugly sims! Just like as a child I didnt play with ugly barbies lol I always make them tots again once Im down correcting any features Id liek to tweak and then spend a considerable amount of time styling them.
    Im very obsessive about their looks and can spend hours in CAS making a family "just right".
  • Options
    hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited March 2014
    i alwaysss use money cheats :mrgreen:
    i almost only play one level houses.
    and i can't help it..i've tried. i can't. i have an uncontrollable need to have a male sim "father" at least 75% of the town.. :oops:
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    ForeverFranconiaForeverFranconia Posts: 2,154 Member
    edited March 2014
    Just thought of a few more:

I have to have testngcheatsenabled on
    I have to play between 11pm to 2pm
    I have to have Herndon Springfield in every save I do.
    I've never been to Uni.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It's impossible for my sims to stay faithful especially if they are pretty or they don't have the family-oriented traits. I just have to see what their babies look like.

I play an entire community. I would get so bored with the same family all the time. I used to play with simselves that I downloaded from the exchange, but now I play with a hodgepodge of different sims. Few are simselves, most are characters for books, movies, TV shows, etc.

One habit I'm trying to break: I never get the third gen, (not ever not even in s2) I always get bored and tell myself that I'll come back and then I never do so I've decided that I'm breaking that habit.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    hellojewby wrote:
    i alwaysss use money cheats :mrgreen:
    i almost only play one level houses.
    and i can't help it..i've tried. i can't. i have an uncontrollable need to have a male sim "father" at least 75% of the town.. :oops:

Lol about father... I sort of have that problem too except its not such high percentage. If I get a good looking male in the game I'm like BABY TIME!!!

Right now most of my sim families are polygamous. I can't help it, for some reason its just more fun that way. I love all the half-sisters and half-brothers. I have it set that they only babies, toddlers, and children for about 28 days each, but they are teens for about 200. This way I can see how they turn out quicker, its all a part of this hierarchy I came up with. I thought about posting it as a challenge, but I was afraid that it would offend people or that it would seem too wacky.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited March 2014
    I always make one female sim :roll:
    I always move her into a starter house and then use money cheat :shock:
    Move her into a better house and get her a nice car
    She is either gonna be a rock star or actress :D
    She has to find a celebrity and work on becoming 5 star :wink:
    Never have pets (no time for them) :?:
    She has to go to dance clubs and eat out when hungry :D
    I always use testingcheatsenabled to fill their needs or they would not have time to dance or flirt :mrgreen:
    I always end up making a guy(if she finds one in the neighborhood and marries him he always turns into an elder in four days or less)for her so she can marry him and when time for baby I leave them and start over with another female.
    I always end up bored and delete neighborhood or start a new one :?
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,396 Member
    edited March 2014
    Interesting thread... :-)

I always use money cheat motherlode in the beginning for a better house or to redecorate the bomb that they're in. They must have decent bed, stove and fridge.

All sims get multi-tabs.

All sims must skill up at least 2-3 points in the skills they will use in their job before getting that job.

All sims have jobs, if I don't get them one they are constantly rolling wishes to get every job in town. :roll:

I use a multiple of mods because my game is more interesting that way. :mrgreen:

I start out with a single sim every time. Most sims have charisma, brave or good sense of humor traits within their personality. (Favorites)

Most sims CAS, don't start having children until after they have become adults and then it's only one at a time, no twins or God forbid, triplets. :shock:

All sims must have "me time" to read, play computer games, etc. I do and so should they.

Not all sims have pools or hot tubs but I will take the family down to the festival, local swimming pool, park, anywhere they can be together as a family. (Like the bowling alley I made.)

And most of all, never, never have any 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sims, it's my game and that's how I play. :D

All sims get to pick their mate, as much as it galls me sometimes. :lol:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    ArtisticmissT20ArtisticmissT20 Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2014
    -I use CC eyes, lips, and hair a lot, and if I end up using the same one a lot, I usually end up looking for more :lol:

-I don't normally create toddlers, kids, or teens in CAS and would wait till the adults in the household have one, when I do create them, I usually play with the genetics and then start off from there.

-If I get a premade house (one made from the game) I destroy it and build it from scratch, otherwise I'll just build upon an empty lot.

-I tend to overbuild the house sometimes, making it bigger than needed for a starter home, which doesn't save me much for the bedroom or bathroom, only needing to mooch some simoleans off of the small money cheat :P

-I don't use hats, but don't mind hairbands or hair with hair accessories.

-If I have more than one adult in the household that isn't a couple with somebody, I usually work on hooking them up with somebody right away so they can use their double beds.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,966 Member
    edited March 2014
    I always play Sims I've created myself. I rarely play premades unless I'm doing a Legacy Challenge. I will create a spouse-to-be for the Sim in question and find a way for them to "meet".

I use the "freeRealEstate" to get my Sims into their first house, generally one I've built just for them. (They normally don't move from this house, either.)

I always have to have my Great Grand Aunt's house in my game and a castle or two I've designed and built myself.

Currently, I've been trying to play out one family I started back when ST first came out. I tried to play this family when LN came out, with the promise of a band, but since you couldn't have a singer, and Bridgeport was hopelessly glitched and too small for my liking, I gave up on them until ST came out.

From this family I've developed a method of play that I find fulfilling. I allowed my Sims to spend time together, to keep their relationships running high. (Having a mod to slow down Sim-time is very helpful.) At the end of a busy Sim day, they would all get together and jam. :) Every time a teen would graduate high school, they would spend the rest of the day at the town festival, as a family. This became such a tradition, that my now active household (the second of the original five Cantrell children) does the same with his kids. Four graduated, one to go.

I didn't leave the original active household until I was ready to follow one or more of the children. I allowed the other children to move out and live out their own lives. I always play with Free Will On, slammed to the very top. I also am modded to the hilt, thank you Twallen! My game is far more stable now, and I haven't had to restart this family for many weeks. Due to the NRaas Story Progression, the other kids are truly thriving in town. (And, again, thanks to a mod, I can gather ALL of them for parties!) The other two sons and now the daughter have each gone on to have an additional child. Baby number six for the daughter, wasn't in the script, so it's lucky for me that I saved her family into their own save file so I can better direct their lives. LOL

I'm still deciding on which of my singer's children to follow. I'm looking forward to my singer continuing with his gigs on into his elder years, so likely I won't leave until he passes away.

It's a lot of fun having this family around the town. His elderly mother still comes to his gigs as do his nieces and nephews. It's only taken me years, but I believe I've finally figured out how to play this game. LOL

Edited to Add: Oh, and my singer Sim and his mother BOTH wear glasses. And his eldest son wears a bowler hat. He's a magician (my first, really) and it goes with his futuristic suit he wears, daily. :P

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/