Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Major lag issues with Isla Paradiso

So I've had the game since Xmas and ever since installing I have had lag problems as well as frequent crashing, almost exclusively with my new Isla Paradiso family. On advice from EA I downloaded Crash Logger and found that my graphics card (despite the laptop only being two months old) was out of date. I updated the graphics driver and using Nvidia optimiser I have now optimised the game for use with my graphic chipset and the game is no longer crashing. However the lag problems I have (it will lag every 10-20 seconds) make the game almost unplayable.

I have tried several things suggested to me such as resetting all Sims, removing stuck boats and cars, removing the Scott family and deleting all the files the DCBackup folder but the lag issues are still there.

Are there any other suggestions people have? Are there mods I can use?

Comments

• Options
    Megan31917Megan31917 Posts: 457 Member
    edited January 2014
    As long as you haven't updated to the latest patch -Google NRAAS & download Overwatch & Traffic. (I actually have most of the NRAAS mods)

Although these mods don't eliminate the lag completely, it's helps a great deal.

IP is my favorite World & I couldn't play it without those mods.

Good luck.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,408 Member
    edited January 2014
    So I've had the game since Xmas and ever since installing I have had lag problems as well as frequent crashing, almost exclusively with my new Isla Paradiso family. On advice from EA I downloaded Crash Logger and found that my graphics card (despite the laptop only being two months old) was out of date. I updated the graphics driver and using Nvidia optimiser I have now optimised the game for use with my graphic chipset and the game is no longer crashing. However the lag problems I have (it will lag every 10-20 seconds) make the game almost unplayable.

I have tried several things suggested to me such as resetting all Sims, removing stuck boats and cars, removing the Scott family and deleting all the files the DCBackup folder but the lag issues are still there.

Try using the cheat to remove the clouds over the islands. Can't remember what it is but after testingcheatsenabled true type in help and it will show all the cheats. There is also a lifetime reward you can buy to open all the islands. This is suppose to reduce your lag. For some reason the fog over the islands seems to cause massave lag.
  • Options
    Quagmire349Quagmire349 Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2014
    Oh yeah, that was one of the suggestions from EA to prevent crashing. I haven't tried that yet as it would take away the fun of discovering them, but if it will help remove some of the lag then I'll try it.

I updated to the latest version two days ago, so does that mean the mods will not work?
  • Options
    FredcatFredcat Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2014
    Yes this is the worst, poorly designed world. A shame because it's really cool. I even installed the world fixes from Nraas and while playable now it's still laggy and stutters. I gotta use the nraas "reset everything" about every 20 minutes and it always finds around 26k objects to reset. I thought it might be my MODs but it's definitely not. I am playing a family with 19 members in it now in Appaloosa Plains and have zero log. It plays as perfect as the base game with no mods.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,411 Member
    edited January 2014
    I think there are two different problems in Isla Paradiso:

1) The long freezing periods up to 20 seconds that are caused by stuck NPC Sims living on houseboats and that do not depend on your computer's specifications.

2) The general micro lag because this world is so big and has so much complicated traffic.

As a lot of members in this forum have suggested, I could always solve the first problem by moving the Scott family and Ruben Ichtaca (or so) into houses on land and completely tearing down their houseboats. The freezing disappears immediately.

But the small lagging was still driving me nuts. My computer was already five years old, but it exceeded the game's minimal requirements by far (Intel Q9400, Radeon HD4870, 8 GB ram).

But as my pc had numerous problems with the sound and with overheating, I decided to buy a new one this week (also in preparation for TS4 :D ).

Now I have a i5-4670K processor, 16 GB ram, a Nvidia GTX 760 1,5 GB graphics card and win 8.1. AND HEY!!! It's a new game. I still have to delete the houseboats, but then Isla Paradiso runs like a wild horse. And all the other worlds are miracles. No lagging, no crashing, no shutting down (my old pc was constantly shutting down while playing TS3).

So don't believe EA's system requirements, they are far to low.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Wayhey! I took the advice by using the cheat DiscoverAllUnchartedIslands and removing some of the families in houseboats and for the moment the lagging seems to have stopped. Looks like it was the strange fog over the uncharted islands that appeared to be causing the lag. Yeah the fun of finding them has gone but to be honest the uncharted island thing wasn't that big of a deal to me anyway. The game runs like a charm now and the optimisation I did with Nvidia Manager seems to have stopped the crashing in the other neighbourhoods too :D
  • Options
    LyaliusLyalius Posts: 17
    edited January 2014
    My game only crashed once and I think that was because of my laptop overheating. Until I get a cooling pad I've been playing my IP with my laptop propped up so my fan has nothing in it's way and it seems to be working so far :)

Thanks for the suggestion to remove the clouds though! I never really thought it was the clouds causing part of my lagging problem but next time I play I'll get rid of them and see if that helps with my lagging problem.
  • Options
    bmashlandbmashland Posts: 358 New Member
    edited January 2014
    Being far too low is the reason we could get results by taking this to court.

If Sims 4 is released and this one is broken anyone in the same boat as us needs to consider the law as an option to get what you paid for, or for the game to be recalled all together since some people seem to think they aren't fixing it because they can't which is bologna.

If they can make Sims 4, assuming it will work at all. They can then take all that working Sims 4 stuff, and put it in as an update to Sims 3, and make Sims 3 work instead.
    The number means nothing but how many times they made and sold it. It separates them on the store shelves, that's it.
    If Sims 4 is working, make this that code instead and skip the process where you try and sell it to us all over again because we have a broken version now. It can be updated like all the other updates, just use the new code and put it in. Sims 4? I'm not buying it period and nothing else for that matter because they just gave me nothing for my money... Sims 4 is a smack in our face as long as Sims 3 sits broken without technical support on such a serious problem.

And if anyone asks me now.... If I will be buying the next one?
    I simply say...

"In my opinion, EA has a standard of quality that doesn't match the price of it's games. Until policies allow for them improve in several areas of business, included but not limited too:

1.Product System Requirements on game issued 1st that are high enough to make the collection work once you are done releasing it all piece by piece 4 years later or stop piecing it out.... and put what the will need to be more then just able to be turned on, but actually playable and something we can consider a finished product. Sure you'll sell less it being over 500 bucks but your consumers wont feel they work a beta-testing job for no wages, and not play your game.

2.Design function at time of release, needs to be tested further and put on the market running more like a completed game, not a beta-version.

3.Customer service.... You don't have anyone working for you answering my complaints, and what not.... that hasn't lied to me at least once. Weed out the liars and teach them to actually fix a problem before they close a ticket."
  • Options
    Summersethomes5Summersethomes5 Posts: 450 Member
    edited January 2014

1) The long freezing periods up to 20 seconds that are caused by stuck NPC Sims living on houseboats and that do not depend on your computer's specifications.

2) The general micro lag because this world is so big and has so much complicated traffic.

As a lot of members in this forum have suggested, I could always solve the first problem by moving the Scott family and Ruben Ichtaca (or so) into houses on land and completely tearing down their houseboats. The freezing disappears immediately.

But the small lagging was still driving me nuts. My computer was already five years old, but it exceeded the game's minimal requirements by far (Intel Q9400, Radeon HD4870, 8 GB ram).

But as my pc had numerous problems with the sound and with overheating, I decided to buy a new one this week (also in preparation for TS4 :D ).

Now I have a i5-4670K processor, 16 GB ram, a Nvidia GTX 760 1,5 GB graphics card and win 8.1. AND HEY!!! It's a new game. I still have to delete the houseboats, but then Isla Paradiso runs like a wild horse. And all the other worlds are miracles. No lagging, no crashing, no shutting down (my old pc was constantly shutting down while playing TS3).

I
    I was on the verge of buying a new comp because my old one bit the dust (bad mother board *which would make a wonderful login*) so after upgrading everything at the computer repair shop Im back in the game and it's amazing how well my game runs im ready to go out and buy more games *this has nothing at all to do with the topic I just wanted to gloat*
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hmph well the lag has returned, although it's still not as bad as it was previously, so the fog removal must have only been a temporary fix. My next step I guess is to try the mods. Will Overwatch and Traffic help me? What about NRAAS as already suggested?
  • Options
    treintrientreintrien Posts: 492 New Member
    edited January 2014
    Try deleting the Spirit of the sea house (sims get stuck under it and I wasn't able to fix this) and remodelling the house the Scotts lived in. It has some problem where sims can't find the front door to enter.
    Make sure there's no arches on the outside walls.
    Also check the Adobe Abode for the same problem.
    The Ichtaca castle has it's front door located on the top floor :roll:
    With Testingcheats you can ctrl-shift click the real front door and set it as being the entrance door.
    There's about fifty other things I fixed, but these are the worse, (I think).

Let me know if this also worked for you?
    In my game this worked really good!

edit:
    I made a new gamefolder and reinstalled half the store (again*sigh) some weeks ago. Am on patch 1.65 with no mods while still testing and playing every lot I place/alter in this town.
    Islands are still undiscovered and my lag is nearly gone. Guess there's some small stuttery spots left that'll be found during testing.

• Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited January 2014
    treintrien wrote:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I shouldn't laugh but that is too funny. I suspect a new person at EA built all the houses.

yes, exactly. The listed specs are far too low; a slow machine can't compensate for the routing failures even with mods. The interesting thing to me anyway, is to consider the CAUSE of the lagging in IP, and then analyze that in conjunction with how EA claims to be "optimizing the code for sims 4". There is no amount of "code optimization" which will help with the type of lag occurring in Island Paradise. That specific type of problem is still going to occur with sims 4 and the same solution is required: a more powerful computer.

I stopped playing for a while because my computer wasn't up to snuff and am now deliriously happy I was able to upgrade.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    treintrien wrote:
    Try deleting the Spirit of the sea house (sims get stuck under it and I wasn't able to fix this) and remodelling the house the Scotts lived in. It has some problem where sims can't find the front door to enter.
    Make sure there's no arches on the outside walls.
    Also check the Adobe Abode for the same problem.
    With Testingcheats you can ctrl-shift click the real front door and set it as being the entrance door.
    There's about fifty other things I fixed, but these are the worse, (I think).

Let me know if this also worked for you?
    In my game this worked really good!

edit:
    I made a new gamefolder and reinstalled half the store (again*sigh) some weeks ago. Am on patch 1.65 with no mods while still testing and playing every lot I place/alter in this town.
    Islands are still undiscovered and my lag is nearly gone. Guess there's some small stuttery spots left that'll be found during testing.

Ok I've done all the things you suggested except remodel Tide Runner. What exactly do I need to remodel here as I have evicted the family?
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited January 2014
    oh, I heard that placing fences around the boats, and/or the dock, helps with preventing sims from getting stuck (but I haven't tried that so no idea if if works but it probably does).

And just in case... open up cheat window by pressing shift + control + c, and then typing "testingcheatsEnabled true/false" without quotes. Then shift click on the ground around the lot and choose either "build here" or "buy here".

Thanks very much Treintien for your suggestions, they are very helpful! :D Yesterday I remodeled the Akoni Kahale houseboat by replacing the spiral stairs with ladders and giving him the All-In-One bathroom but I was still getting notifications so I destroyed his houseboat and the port and gave him a pirate boat that I'd downloaded from the exchange, lol. I put that one a little bit further away as I thought the houseboats might be too close together. But was getting notifications about that one as well. So now will try the fences, and if that doesn't work and nobody has any other suggestions, I'll move him inland.

I'd like to have *some* townies with houseboats, sheesh! Not have to destroy all of them.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Quagmire349

Ooh, tough one..
    That's the house with the underwater decor (plants and stuff) right?

I think the main thing was to get the ground floor more open.
    Try and keep the deck free: there's some boxes that leave only one block to pathe. I removed those.
    The very large deco at the entrance can stay.
    The smaller deco I moved around and on top of the house to create room.
    I made a nursery where the computer was ( I think)
    Just generally check the bathroom in every house, they are all very small and weird :wink:

@Stickykisses:
    Don't remember the Akoni house... :oops:
    Should've taken notes :twisted:
    When in doubt, just move Akoni and delete the house ;) :-) :wink:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    treintrien wrote:
    Quagmire349

Ooh, tough one..
    That's the house with the underwater decor (plants and stuff) right?

I think the main thing was to get the ground floor more open.
    Try and keep the deck free: there's some boxes that leave only one block to pathe. I removed those.
    The very large deco at the entrance can stay.
    The smaller deco I moved around and on top of the house to create room.
    I made a nursery where the computer was ( I think)
    Just generally check the bathroom in every house, they are all very small and weird :wink:

@Stickykisses:
    Don't remember the Akoni house... :oops:
    Should've taken notes :twisted:
    When in doubt, just move Akoni and delete the house ;) :-) :wink:

Wouldn't it just be easier to delete that houseboat altogether? If it's one of the possible reasons for lag then shouldn't I just delete it? But why is it possibly causing lag if no Sims are living there?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Quagmire349
    Very good question ;)
    It shouldn't be causing lag with no one living there.

I've deleted every house that I couldn't easily fix.
    Guess that particular houseboat wasn't al that bad:
    just the decor having too little space around it.

I just hope the other fixes helped your game a little :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    They seem to have made some difference, as has installing Overwatch and Traffic. I will try the new modified version of IP from Modthesims and see if that helps too.

Edit: I just tried to extract one of the WORLD files into the Worlds folder in Program Files but I keep on getting the following message: "Archive file "IslaParadiso.world" CRC Integrity test failed. The archive file is corrupted an cannot be opened"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Quagmire349
    I tried to use one of her worlds several times,
    I've decided I'm just too stupid for these things.
    If there's the slightest chance something can mess up my game, I'll find that one in a million and...whoops...did it again :mrgreen::mrgreen:

When I noticed the stuck Collins family at first I didn't think anythink about it. Just some stuck sims.
    Then when my family visited the Ichtacas and couldn't reach their front door, I just thought that was weird.
    And then I found the dazed and confused at the Amigo's house...
    That's when I thought I might be able to fix it myself :mrgreen:
    So far it's working! Yay! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    shellyb246shellyb246 Posts: 5
    edited February 2014
    Honestly though? Should we have to go in a fix these houses? There are plenty of people here saying that there are lag problems here. I'm one of them. I shouldn't have to go in and edit the town and fix their mistakes! :evil:
  • Options
    ShioBabyStarShioBabyStar Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2014
    After spending hours and hours on finding out which method is best, here's what I did to fix the lags (really, it reduced 95% of the lagging issues):

1. install NRAAS Overwatch & Master Controller
    2. Start a new game in Isla Paradiso
    3. Go to edit town and delete the Scott Family together with their lot
    4. Evict the Ichtaca family and delete their home (or replace your Isla Paradiso.world file with ellacharmed's version with fixed locations that cause routing issues, just google it)
    5. set all your graphics to max
    6. Go to live mode and click on Civic Center -> NRAAS -> Master Controller, then click on SIM -> ADVANCED -> FORCE KILL -> SPECIES and kill all animals & pets because they cause most of the routing problems. You can still keep your own pet, though.
    7. Do the same up to ADVANCED, then go to AGE (it will list your sims in town starting from youngest to oldest) and kill all aliens (because they also cause major lag issues when appearing in the city)
    8. Do the same again, but this time go to Occult Type and kill all ghosts and imaginary friends. Again, you can keep your own imaginary friends or ghosts

From time to time, you may want to use resetsim * or force a total reset via Overwatch to reset every sim in your town. Also, you want to cleanse the dead and run out all homeless people to make sure there aren't more sims to get stuck than you actually want there to be.

This should fix about 95% of the lags!
    Have fun playing, fellow simmers :)
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

Isle Paradiso is full of bugs - I had to delete all occupants and buildings and add back in new houses, etc. so I could play w/o lags - that is the ONLY thing that works.