Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Masterpiece Cycle 1 - Cancelled

rgt1.png

Welcome to Masterpiece Cycle 1!

This is a competition unlike any other, as it is focused on turning modeling into ART! Each week you will receive an assignment that is based on some form of art, and you will have to deliver a masterpiece based on the form. My aim for this competition is to provide fun and original assignments, which will also challenge you to produce some stunning photos. This competition will require editing for some assignments, so I advise that you have some experience editing if you are interested in joining. This will not be a competition for beginners!

You will have 7 days to complete each assignment, and judging will take place for 1-3 days. If you need an extension, you must ask 24 hours in advance and give a valid reason for needing one. Each model gets up to 3 extensions – use them wisely!

I have decided to allow males and females for this cycle – so you have complete freedom with your model! All I ask is that they are a YA.

Sign-ups will be open until February 1st, as this will be a busy month for high school students such as myself!

3t7s.png

- Be nice. No negativity towards anyone, including yourself!
- Editing is allowed & required!
- Custom content & pose player are allowed and highly recommended.
- Each assignment will last 7 days. If you need an extension, you must ask 24 hours before the due date! Only 3 extensions per model.
- No drops! If you have a valid reason for dropping I completely understand, but I would rather you not join if you think there's any chance of you dropping.
- If you have questions about your score, feel free to ask! All I request is that you don't complain. As judges we are required to give our honest opinion, please don't take it personally!
- I won't allow picture retakes, the picture you submit originally is the picture that will be judged.
- I will allow YA, female/male models.

d68v.png

modelwall_zpsa48c2ed7.png"width=700"

Not Checked-In

Checked-In

dyba.png0moc.pngdal3.png

Assignment Submitted

vvnw.png0lox.png9myi.pngjon0.png

Extensions

czbv.png

qlmk.png"width=400"
5o1z.png"width=400"
nys3.png"width=400"
iwls1x.png

Comments

• Options
    GalaxyAlwaysGalaxyAlways Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited March 2014
    cdpw.png

Assignment 2: Profile

For this assignment you are going to be taking profile shots of your model! These should be artistic and creative - the theme of your picture is up to you. You can portray any type of person you want, as long as we can only see one side of their face. The most important thing about this assignment is to be creative with your idea - I don't just want 9 pictures of models looking pretty facing sideways; I want originality! Good luck.

Requirements:
    - Headshot
    - Profile shots only
    - Pick a theme
    - Be creative!
    - Artistic elements
    - Thin black border

Examples:

a2examples_zpsf4666735.png
    [Pictures taken from Google & deviantART]

Due: Friday, March 14th @ 5:00pm EST

Judging Criteria

Quality: /10
    Artistic Elements: /10
    Styling: /5
    Set Up: /5
    Pose: /5
    Creativity: /5
    Requirements: /5
    Total: /45

xicw.png

Bebs & Sascha
    2dcc1te.png

Mystical & Kenji
    bqON.png

Louisa & Katrina
    Ti2XagE.jpg

Harlee & Sierra

Kirsty & Adelina

Gemma & Kaylee

Clover & Mischa

Cheerio & Celeste

Bjorn & Stella
    masterpiece3Crop-Resize-Layer-png-Border.png
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    71la.png

Great job on this assignment everyone! Just remember to read the assignment carefully and always be creative. I'm really impressed with you all so far, just take the constructive criticism and apply it to your future work.

Congratulations to the 9 going through, and sorry to the 3 who have been eliminated! We can all improve, so take the comments as guidance for the future!

Good luck! Here are the scores...

1st Place
    Harlee & Sierra
    4zi0.png"width=300"
    Total Score - 131.5/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Quality: 9.5/10
    Artistic Elements: 10/10
    Styling: 4.5/5
    Set Up: 5/5
    Pose: 3.5/5
    Creativity: 5/5
    Requirements: 5/5
    Total: 42.5/45

Wow Harlee, this is stunning! You last picture is hard to follow up, but you did it – this is stunning! The whole look of this picture is flawless and it goes so well with the assignment, you combined geometric and artistic beautifully. I love the dress, it is the best clothes drawing I have ever seen for sure. My only small issues were the shoes were a little wonky, I didn’t really like them. Also, I found her pose to be stiff, I would’ve liked something that showed off more angels. Another stunning picture, Harlee!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Quality: 10/10
    Styling: 5/5
    Pose: 4/5
    Total: 44/45

Uh, this is mar-ve-lous, Harlee! The whole thing just blows me away, I can’t believe how exceptional your editing and drawing skills are. I’m impressed. I only have three things to say: a. some more vibrant colors would add some nice depth to this, b. the pose makes Sierra’s eyes disappear, c. my first almost perfect score I’ve ever given! This piece is phenomenal and I can’t wait to see what else you come up with.

nys3.png"width=400"

Pose: 5/5
    Total: 45/45

The only thing I have to say to you is wow!
    That dress is mindblowing, I can’t believe you did it yourself, thats how good it is! Everything here is on point, the shadows, the background, Sierra… It’s perfect! Amazing job, keep it up, Harlee!

2nd Place
    Bebs & Sascha
    oir5gh.png"width=300"
    Total Score - 119/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Creativity: 4/5
    Total: 44/45

I love absolutely everything about this, Bebs! You did a flawless job of showing the geometric theme, and you did it in a stunning way. I love how Sascha is styled with the geometric theme, but it’s not overboard. I love how she is making angels with her body in that pose. I love that you just used different shades of purple. I just love it all! No complaints – great work!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Quality: 9/10
    Artistic Elements: 9/10
    Styling: 4/5
    Set Up: 3/5
    Requirements: 4/5
    Total: 38/45

Gah! First assignment and you’ve already floored me. Great job on this one Bebs, I loved everything about it. The background was a bold choice but worked out nicely and isn’t too busy. I like that you didn’t do the typical bright colors and I think the dark shades paid off nicely. The only thing I noticed was one of the requirements was headshot or bodyshot and this isn’t either one of those. Other than that, phenomenal work!

nys3.png"width=400"

Quality: 8/10
    Artistic Elements: 8/10
    Set Up: 4/5
    Total: 37/45

Lookin’ good, Bebs! It looks like you really took the geometric shape theme and ran with it. Everything about this photo has some sort of shapely reference to it, from her makeup to her setting. But, I do feel like the use of so much purple was severe. I mean, even her hair is a shade of plum- this photo could have benefited from a touch of another color in the spectrum. I also, am not a huge fan of the angle. Over all though, nicely done, Bebs!

3rd Place
    Gemma & Kaylee
    286tn5y.png"width=300"
    Total Score - 114/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Quality: 8.5/10
    Pose: 4.5/5
    Total: 40/45

I really like this, Gemma! I think the pose is great and the styling is fabulous – especially that dress. The hair looked good, but I’m not sure if it totally fit the assignment. I love the background you used and the shadow, even though it was in a kind of weird place. Her face looked stunning and the pose did a great job of showing angels with her body. Another amazing photo, great work!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Creativity: 3/5

Her hair is gorgeous in this, Gemma! I’m impressed. Everything about this hits the marks but it falls flat in ingenuity. A more creative background and maybe a pop of color such as bright lipstick would really round out this picture. Overall, good go and looking forward to your next assignment.

nys3.png"width=400"

Quality: 7/10
    Styling: 3/5

I really like this picture, you did a great job running with the theme and that background is superb, the different hues look really interesting as well as her shadow. As for Kaylee, I’m not a huge fan of her outfit, and I feel like you could’ve done a better job posing her. Nice job!

4th Place
    Cheerio & Celeste
    2lbm1vr.jpg"width=300"
    Total Score - 105/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Set Up: 3.5/5
    Pose: 2.5/5

I love that you take risks like this, Cheerio! I think the idea was great, but the execution wasn’t as good. If your drawing had been better and you’d maybe added a bit of shading, then this would’ve been near perfect for me. What you’ve done is good though. I like how you made the accent colour the same as her eyes, but I wish you had focused on a bolder colour – that would’ve made it pop more. Also, I wish you used a more geometric pose – with her arm in it or something. I love your creativity, this is great Cheerio!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Artistic Elements: 7/10
    Total: 35/45

Wow, you took a different take on this assignment then the rest and it almost worked out great. Some things that would finish it off would be some shadowing on the makeup to make it look less cartoony and more on the sim. Also, the background isn’t as geometric as it could be with just the one green triangle, some more shapes would’ve rounded out this photo. Lovely work!

nys3.png"width=400"

Total: 33/45

I really like your consistent color scheme here, it adds some extra oomph as opposed to many different colors. However, I am not a fan of the weird lines all over her face. It’s geometric, yes, but not done well, in my opinion. I just don’t particularly like it. It is much too harsh. On the flip side, I do like how you took a risk with a bald model, and I really like her facial expression. Nicely done!

5th Place
    Kirsty & Adelina
    ajT6pMr.png"width=300"
    Total Score - 104/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Artistic Elements: 6/10
    Pose: 2/5
    Creativity: 2/5
    Requirements: 3/5
    Total: 28/45

I never thought I would score you this low, but I have to say I was disappointed. Especially from your picture last week I expected more, this really fell short for me. I like her dress, but I found the makeup a little bit heavy. I didn’t like the pose or the set-up, none of it really worked for me. I did like the colours; I thought they were very interesting and beautiful. Her skin also looked great, nice job on that! I know you did this last minute, and you can do so much more than this so I’m not worried about you. I can’t wait to see what you do next assignment – I hope you can bring it together!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Total: 39/45

Beautiful work here, Kirsty! I love the change from one texture to the next and yours really stands out among the others with the dark, earthy colors. Adelina’s eyes however do clash with these colors and making the geometric patterns more obvious on this would’ve really set it apart. Lovely work overall, can’t wait for your next picture!

nys3.png"width=400"

Wow, Kirsty, you always leave me in wonder. How do you make your photos so perfect? Unfair. Anywho, I really
    like what you did here, the theme of copper and gold hues really work, especially with the pop of purple. I love the way Adelina is styled as well. However, this isn’t really up to your usual standard, especially in the pose area. I don’t think the pose works well at all, she seems really awkwardly placed. But, like always, you did wonderfully! Good going, Kirsty!

6th Place
    Louisa & Katrina
    ZlcXJRx.jpg"width=300"
    Total Score - 102.5/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Requirements: 3.5/5
    Total: 30.5/45

This is pretty, Louisa, but to me it doesn’t meet the artistic requirements. I can definitely see what you were going for, and it is a pretty picture – but it looks more like a geometric issue of a lifestyle magazine than a work of art. My main comment to you would be to try to think outside of the ordinary and do something out of your comfort zone. I can see you have a lot of skill; you just need to try different things. Also, the picture was very small, please have a width of at least 600 with your next one – it makes judging easier. Nice work and keep on improving!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Pose: 3/5
    Total: 35/45

This is so bright and cheerful! I love the pops of aqua in this. I would’ve loved to see Katrina’s outfit a bit more than this pose allows and a bit more of a high fashion outfit as this one is kind of dull. The background seemed kind of ordinary as well, I think a bit more simplicity and less homey would’ve pushed the picture the rest of the way. The lighting is great in this picture and you met all the requirements, nice work!

nys3.png"width=400"

I really liked how everything was coordinated and streamlined in this photo, Louisa! Everything matched and you
    had a great use of shapes! My problem is that you maybe when too matchy and overboard with the theme. You would’ve benefited from a pop of a different color, like red, especially on her shirt. Other than that, nice job, and by the way, I love how she’s making eye contact with the camera!

7th Place
    Clover & Mischa
    2efuft5.jpg"width=300"
    Total Score - 102/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Total: 38/45

I love this, Clover! I love the styling and the colours you used; they went perfectly with the assignment. The background was cool but I wasn’t totally in love with it – I found it a bit too random. That pose is so cool, it’s very high fashion! My main comment is that this did lack some creativity, but you still did a good job with the assignment. Great work!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Quality: 6/10
    Total: 34/45

First of all, wow I love the color in this. It’s so bright and peppy. Mischa is a bit over saturated though and it diminishes the quality of the picture. Her pose was great, I really liked it. The background gets kind of confusing, having the objects spaced out a bit would’ve helped with clarity. Great work on this, good luck on the next assignment!

nys3.png"width=400"

Quality: 5/10
    Total: 30/45

Don’t get me wrong, Clover, I really see what you are trying to do here, but, I’m not a fan. The entire picture is much too busy and the filter you used is much too harsh, in fact, everything about Mischa is too harsh from her makeup to her pose and her outfit. There is too much going on here. This is a good photo, but it’s not your best.

8th Place
    Mystical & Kenji
    68OoL.jpg"width=300"
    Total Score - 97.5/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Styling: 3.5/5
    Pose: 3/5
    Total: 32.5/45

This is a good picture, Mystical, much better than your last! I love the general look of it, but when I look more closely I find it to be confusing. It looks more like a menswear ad then an artistic picture, just with solid colours mixed in. I just found the bright white background mixed with his bright white shirt to be overwhelming paired with his bright styling – rather than looking artistic. Kenji does look great, but with more thought put into this it could’ve been a masterpiece. You did a nice job!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Requirements: 3/5
    Total: 31/45

Okay, this seems like a good start, Mystical! However, the geometric part is kind of lost in this picture. The background is so bright that it’s hard to see anything else but the whiteness. Kenji’s clothes also don’t have anything really geometric about them. It’s more white with pops of color. I feel like you were almost there with this but needed a bit more to really go the rest of the way. Also, this assignment called for either a headshot or a body shot and this was neither of those.

nys3.png"width=400"

Total: 34/45

Great use of geometric shapes, Mystical, everywhere you look there is a new shape, you really took this theme and ran with it. You followed the requirements too, which is always a plus! But, when I think geometric shapes, I think hard lines, and the random blotches of light in the background weren’t quite doing it for me, as well as I
    feel Kenji’s pose wasn’t the best choice (it looked like he was sick- feeling his temperature and holding his stomach). All in all, great use of shapes and great picture!

9th Place
    Bjorn & Stella
    geometric-cubism4JSmteethSSPScropB.jpg"width=300"
    Total Score - 86/135

qlmk.png"width=400"

Set Up: 3.5/5
    Pose: 2.5/5
    Total: 30/45

I think this is nice, Bjorn, but I found it to be too much of a literal interpretation of the assignment. She looks more like the artist than the art that was my main problem. The idea was cute – but not right for this assignment in my opinion. I liked the geometric dress and the makeup was pretty, but the rest of your styling needed work. The pose was too casual; I didn’t get any artistic or high fashion look from it. I think you did a good job, but you need to focus more on meeting the requirements of the assignment and interpreting it not so literally. Nice work!

5o1z.png"width=400"

Quality: 6/10
    Total: 31/45

Okay, I see where you were going with this Bjorn and you almost go there! Some things to note: the quality was a little blurry, and the protractor seemed kind of randomly thrown in there. Also, shaving her head was a bold move but I feel some hair with sharp angles would’ve fit it better. Bright makeup could’ve finished this off nicely. Lovely work, great job!

nys3.png"width=400"

Quality: 4/10
    Styling: 2/5
    Set Up: 2/5
    Total: 25/45

I’m not totally sure as to what you were trying to accomplish here, Bjorn. I feel like the background isn’t geometric, and it’s more whimsical. Geometric shapes are hard definite lines and I don’t think that was used. Her outfit was nothing to get excited about and I didn’t particularly like your styling of her. Also, I don’t understand what she’s holding; a math compass? I’m sorry Bjorn, but this is not your best.

Eggy (No Show - 10th Place): N/A

Snowy (No Show - 11th Place): N/A

Lara (No Show - 12th Place): N/A
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Sign-ups are open! :P
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    nonyabizznazznonyabizznazz Posts: 693 Member
    edited January 2014
    NOOOOOOO WHY! I LOVE THIS COMP. You are soooooooooooooo speaking my language but I'm already signed up for Capture and I told myself only one :cry: I R Sad Panda
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    NOOOOOOO WHY! I LOVE THIS COMP. You are soooooooooooooo speaking my language but I'm already signed up for Capture and I told myself only one :cry: I R Sad Panda

Ahahaha aww thanks Peeka! :P

If you are able to find the time I'd love to have you :3

*hugs panda*
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    nonyabizznazznonyabizznazz Posts: 693 Member
    edited January 2014
    *sigh* I will probably end up giving in to this... I'll see how long I can last out.
  • Options
    KISRTYF1KISRTYF1 Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited January 2014
    Aw Galaxy I was hoping you would open this up a bit later. I really want to be in this contest but like Peeka I am already in a comp and judging so I dont have time right now :( as I am in my last year of a degree cause so cant commit myself to more than one comp, specially when I am back at uni at the end of the month.But I absolutely love this idea :D.
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,097 Member
    edited January 2014
    This looks superb! I'll lurk cause I wanna use all my energy in the two comps that I'm in. Nice job! :-)
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,097 Member
    edited January 2014
    ..if I get booted out of one with-in the next two weeks then I'll join this competition cause I can't keep my eyes off it!
  • Options
    DesiKnight07DesiKnight07 Posts: 572 Member
    edited January 2014
    This is a great idea. Reserve please? : )
    85k4x.gif

• Options
    eggy900eggy900 Posts: 4,661 New Member
    edited January 2014
    ... I'm tempted. ;3
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @Peeka - Pleeease do! :P

@Kirsty - Well, if you can somehow find the time I would be thrilled to have you! It's still running in February, I'm just opening the sign-ups now because everyone will be busy during exams so now is a good time. :3

@Miata - I really hope you join, I love your pictures! ^-^

@Desi - Done. Thank you! :mrgreen:

@Eggy - Dangles competition over your head and spritzes cupcake scented spray over it...Join. :XD:
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I did this last night while I was sleepy, so I missed a requirement for the Mock - it must be on a solid colour background!

Also, I didn't mention this, but you can use shadows in any way you want - it doesn't necessarily have to be on your model. :P
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    HannahJayneBebsHannahJayneBebs Posts: 1,251 Member
    edited January 2014
    I'm interested. I feel like joining a comp, seeing as I'm not in any at the moment. HM...

tumblr_m9reb493lH1r8v4r8.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @Hannah - Ooh I've seen your pictures and they're fabulous! I hope you decide to join. :3

edit; love the gif btw :XD:
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Bumpsies :P
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Aha, Galaxy, you have tempted me! :3 I was gonna go with a female, but then I thought... Why the hell not? :XD:

Username: eggy900
    Nickname: Eggy
    Model's Name: Dario Falcon
    Headshot: wNBplAt.png
    Body shot: fGz7iLE.png

I guess the clothes came out more grey than brown, oops... >_< D'you want me to retake or is the bodyshot okay?
  • Options
    GemmabubblesGemmabubbles Posts: 1,737 Member
    edited January 2014
    Okay so I have decided I will join! Reserve? :mrgreen:

Edit: Hot sim eggy :lol:

Sims 4 Vampire CC showcase!
    nO4zXfe.png?3
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @Eggy - Yay, a male! So rugged. 8) If you don't mind redoing it that would probably be better... :oops:

@Gemma - Great, reserved! ^-^
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thank you, both of you :D Sure thing, Galaxy :3
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    New bodyshot...
    OsiXwAs.png
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @Eggy - What a fierce pose. :XD:

Thanks for doing that! ^-^
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    HannahJayneBebsHannahJayneBebs Posts: 1,251 Member
    edited January 2014
    Ah, yes, there's nothing like Benedict Cumberbatch to start off your first post of a thread. :lol: Anyway, yoo~ I decided to join and it feels like f o r e v e r since I've made an app for something. ;-;

Form:
    Username: HannahJayneBebs. However, if this is being held on Unbound, I also have the username Jaybee over there. X3 Just to confuse you~ :XD:
    Nickname: Hannah, or Bebs. I don't mind either. :3
    Model's Name: Sascha Feighty
    Headshot:
    20koyh0.png
    Bodyshot:
    mmd1u0.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    IT'S DOUGLASETTE! :D (she's pretty :3 )
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @Hannah/Bebs/Jaybee :XD: - Such a pretty sim, love her name too! :3 Btw, is that Jaybee like JB? Like Justin Bieber? :lol:
    iwls1x.png