Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Edit This! Now Open! Practice Editing - Get Your Editing Questions Answered - Challenge Yourself

Comments

• Options
    KISRTYF1KISRTYF1 Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited January 2014
    Took me a little while (I was looking at a lot of skin related stuff) but I found them :D.

http://keepwaiting.deviantart.com/art/Skin-Textures-PS-Brush-Guide-125087159
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    HannahJayneBebsHannahJayneBebs Posts: 1,251 Member
    edited January 2014
    mothlingx wrote:
    The background quality is a bit..choppy lol but if it hadn't been I think it would have worked really well because the colors match your model and it looks very mystical.
    I think you did very good on the hair drawing! I think maybe some flyaways might improve it, but not all hair needs to have that and your hair is lookin' good :D

I would have liked a more visible texture on your model, but the important thing is really that it's there! It's new territory for a lot of modelers and I'm so happy you guys are trying it out! I would suggest maybe lowering the opacity on the marking on her shoulder and cheek, as they don't look as much like markings as the one on her side and leg does. I do love how you put the markings in though. It was a really nice touch. :D

Yeah, as I said, I must have been half asleep when I chose it! x3 I think the picture was just way too small, and I resized it, and from how zoomed out I was in GIMP it looked okay... Or something like that. I also know I suck at 'natural-looking hair' - my flyaways always look weird. ;-;
    Hm... I might try the texture-ing ideas again, but another picture. :3 That reminds me: you probably missed these from the last thread (I only linked to the album because of nudes) but here's a few more blank pictures: http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Hjf-rocker/library/Photos to Edit?sort=3&page=1
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oh, and Cheerio, that sparkliness actually looks hella pretty... o.o <3:mrgreen:
  • Options
    lukeschraderlukeschrader Posts: 248 New Member
    edited January 2014
    Yes i did add jewellery and a dress and i cant take it off oops!Anyways i hope u like my editing photo.I did a bit of blush (edit) some skin shading and a few other things like draw the eyes but still in the same colour yes.Will have the challenge up very soon.(EDIT) i used photoshop for all of this.

o09or4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I have edited a male sim,it is not really something I am good at. I did find it hard editing the facial hair.

ri6mcFH.png"width=650"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    cheerio517cheerio517 Posts: 817 Member
    edited January 2014
    Aww thanks Moth and Jaybee! Yeah I was feeling sorta lazy with strands so I didn't do enough. But my new tablet made hair drawing so much easier!
    hvv6th.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I thought I would add some male stock since there isn't any :D.

g4Zqt8x.jpg"width=400"

wvsfhco.jpg"width=400"

JYQhBMa.jpg"width=400"

vyirN0n.jpg"width=400"

NOT TO SIZE: Click for orginal size.
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yes i did add jewellery and a dress and i cant take it off oops!Anyways i hope u like my editing photo.I did a bit of blush (edit) some skin shading and a few other things like draw the eyes but still in the same colour yes.Will have the challenge up very soon.(EDIT) i used photoshop for all of this.

o09or4.png

Another good attempt at editing Luke, I would say you need to look at some tuts for skin shading Bliss's tut taught me. You need to always use a separate layer for your shading and then gaussian blur that at usually start at 5% then do it about 4 times and then turn the opacity down.

The dress and jewelry are something I cant help you with due to the fact I use stick and jewelry brushes, I don't paint my own, am sure Moth could help you with that though :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y09OrzVgnWk
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Luke, I'm awful at clothes drawing, but have you tried drawing over real clothes for practise? :3 That's apparently helpful to some people.

I tried it again on a headshot. :3 I guess it's okay, but I should have chosen a different pattern... :/ Obviously the hair's stock.
    aer8fo.png
  • Options
    GemmabubblesGemmabubbles Posts: 1,737 Member
    edited January 2014
    Kisrty those stocks are great and your edit is amazing! Thank you so much for finding those brushes and they actually show you how to use them :D

Bebs I'm loving that photo and that stocks really suits your alien

Here is mine

Before

2r6ksv9.png
    Sims 4 Vampire CC showcase!
    nO4zXfe.png?3
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Bebs, that is such a great edit. I love the hair and overlay, though it says more old Hollywood then Alien, I think it is stunning. I think it could do with a little cleaning around the edges, you can see tiny specks of the original skin where you have cut around the arms and the hair.

Gemma- Thank You, and I know that is one of the things that sold me on them, though they are brilliant brushes I have used them on the male above and my female sim, and they really do help to create a more realistic skin.

Great edit on your Alien, simple and refined which is nice to see :D.
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    eggy900eggy900 Posts: 4,661 New Member
    edited January 2014
    FlSt19c.png
    I was practicing drawing hair and clothes and stuff... Does anyone have any tips for hairdrawing? (and yes I know the roots suck xD I should've made my strokes longer...)
  • Options
    MangaMonster_xXMangaMonster_xX Posts: 2,233 Member
    edited January 2014
    ^ I'm not an expert but to me it looks pretty good and also a huge congratulations in your placing in Face Off!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thank you! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ^ I'm not an expert but to me it looks pretty good and also a huge congratulations in your placing in Face Off!

I second that. I would add that I have found copying the flow of real hair or amazing painted hair really helps, it looks a bit rigid. I used painted hair and copied the outline of from deviantart when I did a full hair edit.
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I based the shape loosely of a random image from Google, but it didn't turn out so great :XD: So what, you mean drawing over a hair shape to copy it? >_< That sounds like a good idea actually :3
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    eggy900 wrote:
    Yeah, I based the shape loosely of a random image from Google, but it didn't turn out so great :XD: So what, you mean drawing over a hair shape to copy it? >_< That sounds like a good idea actually :3

Yep it is what I did for my hair;

http://i.imgur.com/invZ6C3.png
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This probably isn't the place to post this but seeing as we've been talking about skin texture brushes, does anyone know where to find a set for gimp? The ones I've found have been for photoshop.
    hvv6th.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    cheerio517 wrote:
    This probably isn't the place to post this but seeing as we've been talking about skin texture brushes, does anyone know where to find a set for gimp? The ones I've found have been for photoshop.

I Just posted a set for Gemma on the last page.

They are photoshop, however I use gimp and you can use photoshop brushes in gimp just add them to your brushes folder as you would your normal gimp brushes. The gimp brushes upload at the front of your brushes table and photoshop brushes at the very end.
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Another Attempt at the Alien. Thanks to Moth for the use of her sim.

It is a bit artsy

ftQOOTf.png
    0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    mothlingxmothlingx Posts: 294
    edited January 2014

o09or4.png

If your using photoshop, you really should be utilizing the layers. That way, if you add something you don't like, you can take it off.

I'm really happy to see people trying something as ambitious as clothes drawing. The only way to get better is to practice. I'd say, like others have said, try drawing over real clothes first. Your dress shading has gone off of the dress and onto the model and background, which can usually be fixed just by erasing when using layers. Also, I'm not sure which brush you used to shade the dress, but it makes the shading look a little gritty. I'd also add some highlights as both highlights and shadows help make the clothes look realistic.

As for the necklace I'm not sure what texture you were going for but here's a nifty video tutorial for painting gems:
    http://www.deviantart.com/art/painting-textures-gems-373022753

I would really encourage you to learn more about the awesome things photoshop can do, like for example rather than painting blush directly on your model and smudging it out you can make a new layer, change it to overlay or multiply, and draw some blush and maybe use a blur filter and it'll look a lot more realistic.

Here's a video tutorial about the basics of photoshop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SafSh_u1FF0 The best thing you can do is to keep editing and practicing. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    KISRTYF1 wrote:
    I have edited a male sim,it is not really something I am good at. I did find it hard editing the facial hair.

ri6mcFH.png"width=650"

I normally don't edit male sims. This looks great. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    KISRTYF1 wrote:
    Another Attempt at the Alien. Thanks to Moth for the use of her sim.

It is a bit artsy

ftQOOTf.png

This looks INCREDIBLE. I would lower the texture transparency on the Sim, so you could still see some of the Sim's features (like where the highlights and shadows are on the skin) but this is beautiful and artistic and man, the HAIR. The hair is AWESOME.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks Moth, when trying out your advice I kind of ran a little futher with it and completely got rid of the blue;

egTOmZ3.png

0EbLrhU.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks Kirsty, it turns out I just wasn't looking hard enough. I did a quick edit to test them out, and I like them!

24zlhyw.jpg
    hvv6th.jpg