Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Name Things We Can Do Without in The Sims 4.

Comments

• Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited September 2013
    pguida wrote:
    There's only so much they can cram into the base game. And with vital functions possibli being taken out, like Create-A-Style, I think we should not only tell Maxis what we want in the game, but also what we could live without, so they can allocate their resources and efforts efficiently.

Please, understand this is not about things you don't like or hate. It's about things that, even though may be nice to have, you would not mind missing from The Sims 4 in favor of other thing we are requesting.

I personally can do without:

*Badges. I couldn't care less.
    *Collections (rocks, bugs, and the whatnot).
    *Meaningless interactions, like "extreme sleep", or "talk about going green", which just recycle the same old animation and are basically the same thing with a different name.
    *Occupations like Musicia
    n or Athlete in the base game. I much rather have them fully developed in proper expansions, like Fame or Sports. Put less careers on the base game, but make them more interactive.
    *Opportunities inside rabbit holes, like fixing the school boiler. We can't see it and it adds not much.
    *RPG gameplay (quests, missions and other gameplay that are scripted and soon exhaust all their possibilities, like we had in the detective career and with world adventures. Keep the game sandbox.
    *The Spa. Leave it out until it can be interactive and fully fledged in some expansion.

What about you guys?

I'm on my phone, forgive any typos, etc.

I completely agree with these suggestions. I could do without theses, plus the open world, teleporting into cars, pop-ups instead of fully developed concepts and game play.

So far, what we've learned, I'm not too impressed. Time will tell.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    djacob16djacob16 Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2013
    I don't think you have to play sims 3 online. I never play online. I have no clue what badges even are. lol

I could do without collectibles and WA adventures and quest things like that. For some reason those quests don't always seem to work. I can also do without the slow story progression that leaves the neighbourhood empty.

Edit: I like SP but it should work better. And I can also do without memories.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited September 2013
    Vlaxitov wrote:
    I see people saying axe some stuff that I don't think makes sense.

I like the collectables, they just didn't go far enough with them. We should have been able to make jewelry, furniture, ect. with them. I always decorate my houses with collectables, even a case of fireflies usually because they look good. Just because they didn't provide enough use for the collectables doesn't mean the idea is bad. You don't have to pay attention to the collectables at all either if you don't want and they still add depth to the environment of the game.

I like the random magic gnomes. If you don't like them it takes two seconds to click over to buy mode, delete them, and consider it a free 1k every once in awhile so I don't understand the complaint. You don't have to have any gnomes at all.

I like the opportunities, adventures, and badges. I don't have to but will often do them for the right reward like skill ups or visa points if that is what I'm going for in that particular game. I don't pay attention to the achievement badges unless its something I'm going to be close to accomplishing anyway. You don't have to do any of it at all. So again, why complain about something you never have to do.

I like the reputation and celebrity systems though they aren't perfect. I wouldn't mind the paparazzi if it were done right and they didn't just walk into your house or hotel room while vacationing and if they did the police would come just like a burglar. Even zombies would be ok if I didn't have to protect my gardens from them or they didn't stand outside my house for hours complaining that they can't come in like a paparazzi at a safeguard gate.

In conclusion I can't believe some of you are saying that things like collectables and opportunities go against the spirit of the game being sandbox when these things are totally optional. Why would you say something like "no no, I don't like being able to collect a gem, use the gem cutter on it, then transmogrify it with the case. I'd much rather watch my sim repeat the same 2-3 animations while they paint, sculpt, write, ect."

The point of this thread isn't to list the things that we WANT to go, though, it's to list things that we wouldn't mind being excluded from a base game in exchange for more focus on necessary areas. :-)

Necessary to who? :roll:

You're acting like I don't understand the premise. I do..

I don't really like the idea of giving up things like "the rpg style gameplay" or in other words any kind of objective gameplay at all in exchange for a couple more animations or interactions. With as many dollars EA squeezes out of these games there is absolutely no excuse that we shouldn't get both.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited September 2013
    BUGs I can do without all the darn bugs that are in sims three that make it a nightmare to play, (no I wont use mods or CC)..please for our sanity or whatever is left at this point make this game as bug free as possible. :roll:
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    KDR222KDR222 Posts: 56 New Member
    edited September 2013
    I agree with most things in this thread.

Even though I don't really HAVE to use it (and I don't) we could do without the completely useless house phone. Because for some reason, that I still don't understand, every Sim in TS3 (young, old, rich, or dirt poor) comes automatically equipped with a cell phone, and it renders the house phone useless (in my opinion). So I would like them to make cell phones a store item. Again its not a big deal but just a little quirk that kind of always annoyed me.
  • Options
    AmazingSims79879AmazingSims79879 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited September 2013
    djacob16 wrote:
    I don't think you have to play sims 3 online. I never play online. I have no clue what badges even are. lol

You don't, not the normal version anyway.

They're the things you see under my page/my badges. I've never completed any of them though.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,431 Member
    edited September 2013
    leniece wrote:
    RPG MMO Online Internet game.
    The O in "MMO" means online, Massive Muiltiplayer Online
  • Options
    ClaudiaElzoClaudiaElzo Posts: 1,120 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Blazerine wrote:
    No rabbit holes...

I love your avi pic!!! :D
    It's pinky pie!!!!

Sorry... I just had to say it anyways...
    here is my list

- Larva Babies
    - Sims 3 WA game play
    - Paparazzi
    - Simport
    - Opportunities
    - Rabbit holes
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    One thing I can live without is the inability of butlers or maids/bonehilda to be able to tend plants. Fine if they can't but what happened to being able to hire a gardener? It's a pain when you forget amide the skilling up your sims are in the middle of, would be really nice if the maid/bonehilda, butler or even if we could hire gardeners again. I an live without the inability of hired help not being able to care for the garden.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited September 2013
    me what i can live without in the sims4 is the poor nanny service as we always get the lazy kind of nanny always sitting in front of the tv and not cooking a proper meal for the sims kids only dessert and the teen babysitting service in the sims3 was way worst not cooking at all lol

insert scary music here:

she back the evil nanny from the sims2 lol

2q3qagm.jpg
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    4eee54eee5 Posts: 687 Member
    edited September 2013
    -cars (we have taxis or they can walk :twisted:.)
    -gnomes (they're useless anyways)
    -grocery store(I never use it)
    -stadium (it's glitched anyways)
    -movie theater (I never use it)
    -bookstore (if the library has ALL the books)
    -teddy bears (toddlers/children never play with them)
    -coupons (they always expire)
    -picnics (they're nice but sims never stay at them)
    -house phones (we have cell phones)
  • Options
    yhuntresseyhuntresse Posts: 94 Member
    edited September 2013
    One thing I can live without is the inability of butlers or maids/bonehilda to be able to tend plants. Fine if they can't but what happened to being able to hire a gardener? It's a pain when you forget amide the skilling up your sims are in the middle of, would be really nice if the maid/bonehilda, butler or even if we could hire gardeners again. I an live without the inability of hired help not being able to care for the garden.

I couldn't agree more. It felt like it took forever (S3) to get even the smallest gardens done.
  • Options
    KDR222KDR222 Posts: 56 New Member
    edited September 2013
    4eee5 wrote:
    -cars (we have taxis or they can walk :twisted:.)
    -gnomes (they're useless anyways)
    -grocery store(I never use it)
    -stadium (it's glitched anyways)
    -movie theater (I never use it)
    -bookstore (if the library has ALL the books)
    -teddy bears (toddlers/children never play with them)
    -coupons (they always expire)
    -picnics (they're nice but sims never stay at them)
    -house phones (we have cell phones)

I agree with you but some of the things you mentioned I would use if they upgraded it and for lack of a better word made it more "useable". For example, I would use the grocery store if the fridge did not have an endless supply of food. I think it would be nice to run out of food and have to actually go grocery shopping. I also mentioned house phones but like I said every sim is automatically given a cell phone which renders the house phone useless. They should make cell phones a store item you can buy (I don't want my elementary school sim having a cell phone :-) ).

As for coupons, the glitchy stadium, and the bookstore I am with you on that.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I could live without that stupid rumors that plague relationships I know are solid cause I keep my sims in check...that irritates me to no end stupid system is so flawed >.<
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited September 2013
    Vlaxitov wrote:
    I feel like you're contradicting yourself with what you're saying. The items I listed I'd rather see improved instead of exchanged for focus on other things. Also, if you actually read other people's comments I was speaking of they are often saying these things make the game less sandbox. I don't believe that to be true as these things listed are always optional like I previously said.

I'm personally not willing to trade the optional objectives in this game for open restaurants so that I can watch my sims go through the same handful of animations over and over. I also find the "either or" argument unacceptable to begin with. For the money they squeeze out of these games it should undeniably be both.

I totally disagree and I'd rather have important features than those you yourself described as easily ignorable. And I did not contradict myself at all. I'd really tradi in these silly features for more substantial ones in a heartbeat. No collections so we can have restaurantes. OH, YES!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The point of this thread isn't to list the things that we WANT to go, though, it's to list things that we wouldn't mind being excluded from a base game in exchange for more focus on necessary areas. :-)

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    TheHellerSweetieTheHellerSweetie Posts: 463 Member
    edited September 2013
    badges I could lives without and the cheater rep too..yeesh....collector thing, lets see...oh the online dependency thing too...can live without that for certain...DO you hear me EA.. no more signing in to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sims 4 is almost completely offline now :wink:
  • Options
    Josieii_AvocadoJosieii_Avocado Posts: 43 New Member
    edited September 2013
    I agree with all of the OP, ESPECIALLY the recycled animations. My biggest fear (about The Sims 4) is that the animations won't be varied and will get old quickly, like The Sims 3.

Like The Sims 3.

The animations will get old like they did in The Sims 3.

Did I say that three times already?

FOCUS ON THE ANIMATIONS PLS
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I agree with all of the OP, ESPECIALLY the recycled animations. My biggest fear (about The Sims 4) is that the animations won't be varied and will get old quickly, like The Sims 3.

TS2 is the one they should have in mind when it comes to animations. It was so full of life!
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited September 2013
    I can live without the open world if they implement a closed world properly and keep the loading times minimal.

I can live without the constant annoying pick-up attempts.

I can live without Sims 3 reputations.

I can live without annoying pop-ups every five minutes.

I can live without cell phones ringing constantly while my sims are trying to sleep or do other things (phone ringing constantly annoyed me in Sims 2 as well).

I could actually live without the Charisma skill.

I can live without celebrities.

I can live without online features.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited September 2013
    pguida wrote:

TS2 is the one they should have in mind when it comes to animations. It was so full of life!

why must everything be base from the sims2 animation i am sorry to say this and apoligize in advance but when i look at sims2 animation today or how sims2 sims look i much prefer the way the sims look in the sims3 but the way they did thngs in the sims3 was much better since there was no game slow down compared to the sims2 where you had to count loading time for the animation to load
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited September 2013
    I know that I will have boos hissed at me and eggs thrown in my direction for this but.... I could do without the zombies, I find them extremely annoying, I never interact with them, they are disruptive, ugly and irritating.

At least give us a way to opt out of zombies without having to erect fences all the time.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    diana923diana923 Posts: 5
    edited September 2013
    I know I may be shot after posting this but no more sim store. Like, I'm okay if sim store still exist as long as they only sell hair, furniture if clothes. That's all. I was angry when I bought generations and found out that you have to pay extra money to let your sims to continue ballet. Like why EA? Shouldn't the ballet bar be added to the generations in the first place? If you insist on adding it to sim store so the people who hate the ballet bar won't get annoyed, than make it free for the people who want it. There shouldn't be gameplay that you have to buy after buying an expansion pack that should have had the in gameplay in the first place.
  • Options
    rachelwolferachelwolfe Posts: 110 Member
    edited September 2013
    I agree with most of these comments, especially the ones about things you have to read rather than see enacted.

And on that subject, I can absolutely live without moodlets. I am unclear at this point whether they will be in TS4, but it seems like the inclusion of moods as a major feature would preclude the use of moodlets.

Also, with regards to memories, if they include them at all they should scale them way back to how they were in TS2. We don't get a "read-it" notification about it and it records only important events (like had a baby, relative got engaged, etc.), not inane things like "made a good meal."

And obviously achievements/badges and the associated notices I can completely do without.
  • Options
    Pensacola2010Pensacola2010 Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2013
    - The "I'm attracted to anything that walks by, including family members". Sims should have likes and dislikes and they should stick to them. They should never be attracted to family members.
    - reputations
    - celebrities
    - social groups