Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Planning a contest, seeking advice.

Hi! I'm planning on holding a contest, and am hoping for the advice of those far more experienced than I am. Essentially, I would like specialized homes and Sims to populate a challenge I want to try. And in return for other people solving my creative problems I'm wiling to offer up sim points as prizes. I also don't want to reinvent the wheel for holding contests, so I've been reading the first few pages of other contests and I've learned a lot. But still, I feel there are probably quite a few pitfalls that aren't so obvious from looking at other people's efforts.

So, anyone know of a resource specifically for this? Anyone feel like sharing their wisdom? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited August 2013
    Check out this link. You'll need to scroll down a bit to get to the Hosting Contests section.

Hope this helps! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SimonSimpsonSimonSimpson Posts: 1,223 Member
    edited August 2013
    That is exactly what I was hoping for, thanks! If I have more questions I'll be sure to ask.
  • Options
    sunsetsorbetsunsetsorbet Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited August 2013
    My SimblrMy ShowcaseMy StudioMy Page
    tumblr_inline_ncxfq7fK9U1t2rf78.png
    (no ts3 wishlist, because I own the store)
  • Options
    4eee54eee5 Posts: 687 Member
    edited August 2013
    make sure you already have the prize before you host a contest and make sure the prize is big enough for the type of contest
  • Options
    marystarbrightmarystarbright Posts: 2,859 Member
    edited August 2013
    4eee5 wrote:
    make sure you already have the prize before you host a contest and make sure the prize is big enough for the type of contest

The size of the prize does not matter, It could be studio recs and be enough
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited August 2013
    4eee5 wrote:

The size of the prize does not matter, It could be studio recs and be enough

agree the size isn't what is important...

the important part is:
    - keep your word
    - make it inspirational
    - stay an active host

this thread might also give you an idea http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/684216.page
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So far all great resources, thanks. I sense a common theme of "have enough Sim Points." I'm guessing there are collective bad experiences with that. Don't worry, got that covered - I sort of foolishly bought the big bundle and never buy anything unless its on sale, so I still have 17k points and only seem to spend about 1-2k a month. All that, and I'm still single, ladies. But I digress...

I'm also not too worried about finishing the contest, though I am curious what kinds of things come up that make a person not want to finish a contest. I'm much more concerned with logistics, and these links have been answering almost all of my questions and helping me prepare for preparing. For example, I had no idea how many posts to reserve when I make the thread, and why. Everyone seems to do it a little differently, but after seeing a nice clean skeleton of a post, it all makes so much more sense now.

I still have one question that I haven't seen addressed specifically, but it's probably common knowledge from the exchange I'm just not familiar with. I want people to submit a house with a family, can it be done that way or will it have to be two separate downloads?
  • Options
    KatieeeeKatieeee Posts: 16,995 Member
    edited August 2013
    All that, and I'm still single, ladies. But I digress...

Sorry but that made me chuckle a bit :lol:
    I still have one question that I haven't seen addressed specifically, but it's probably common knowledge from the exchange I'm just not familiar with. I want people to submit a house with a family, can it be done that way or will it have to be two separate downloads?

It's very possible to upload a house and family living inside :D
    Mafia stats
    Played: 255 | Won: 221 | Lost: 34
    Town: 100 | Mafia: 150 | Third: 5
    Town Win: 86| Mafia Win: 131 | Third Win: 4
    Alive: 65 | Lynched: 99 | Nk: 91 |

Come play Mafia with us: http://ultimatemafia.boards.net/
  • Options
    lukeschraderlukeschrader Posts: 248 New Member
    edited August 2013
    So far all great resources, thanks. I sense a common theme of "have enough Sim Points." I'm guessing there are collective bad experiences with that. Don't worry, got that covered - I sort of foolishly bought the big bundle and never buy anything unless its on sale, so I still have 17k points and only seem to spend about 1-2k a month. All that, and I'm still single, ladies. But I digress...

I'm also not too worried about finishing the contest, though I am curious what kinds of things come up that make a person not want to finish a contest. I'm much more concerned with logistics, and these links have been answering almost all of my questions and helping me prepare for preparing. For example, I had no idea how many posts to reserve when I make the thread, and why. Everyone seems to do it a little differently, but after seeing a nice clean skeleton of a post, it all makes so much more sense now.

Ok i have been playing sims since 2009 and the exchange only allows separate family's and houses so for example You can have a family with the house they have to separate and cannot be together.I hope i helped.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Ok i have been playing sims since 2009 and the exchange only allows separate family's and houses so for example You can have a family with the house they have to separate and cannot be together.I hope i helped.

There are houses on the exchange with families living in them, so I'm pretty sure it's doable.
    Mafia stats

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Katieeee wrote:

How come?In all the tutorials i have read none of them say that?Are you totally sure?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Katieeee wrote:

There are houses on the exchange with families living in them, so I'm pretty sure it's doable.

Well thanks for teaching me something :) I never knew :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Katieeee wrote:

How come?In all the tutorials i have read none of them say that?Are you totally sure?

If you go to the exchange on the side where you can choose residential or commercial you can also choose how many residents. I'm going in game to double check, but I'm about 95% sure.
    Mafia stats

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Katieeee wrote:
    Katieeee wrote:

If you go to the exchange on the side where you can choose residential or commercial you can also choose how many residents. I'm going in game to double check, but I'm about 95% sure.

O thanks i just found out :) I wonder if there is anything else i dont know about the exchange :?
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited August 2013

glad we helping

how many post you need depends on your contests...

but yea you need
    intro
    rules/info
    entrie list
    winners
    and misc

atleast I think

you got humor about the sp, yea there have been problems.... some with valied reasons, some lying and cheating.... best to have it all ready.

it is very easy to uploade a house with family, so that should be no problem.

if you look at this of my uploades it say 9 residents: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6366002
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    O thanks i just found out :) I wonder if there is anything else i dont know about the exchange :?

:lol: You can learn something new about this game/site everydayyy :p
    Mafia stats

• Options
    edited August 2013
    So I know that not abandoning a contest is a big issue, but what if no one seems interested? How long do I give it before pronouncing it DOA?
  • Options
    annasommerannasommer Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited August 2013
    Hm good question really... maybe you should enter a minimum number of contestants into the rules right from the beginning?

Btw, I was to lazy to follow all the links that have already been provided... but in case none of them mentioned it, I would recommend to look for experienced judges on other contests and talk to those. I think their advice will be very helpful :wink:
  • Options
    ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    edited August 2013
    annasommer wrote:
    Hm good question really... maybe you should enter a minimum number of contestants into the rules right from the beginning?

Btw, I was to lazy to follow all the links that have already been provided... but in case none of them mentioned it, I would recommend to look for experienced judges on other contests and talk to those. I think their advice will be very helpful :wink:

THIS /\

I can help you with this. My e-mail is in my about me. If you decide you want to run a contest and would like some help, I can help you.

I have the experience and I judge (actually, I prefer to judge). You can still post "sponsors welcome" in your thread. Plenty of people, me included, don't mind sponsoring.

BTW, Welcome to our sandbox. I hope you enjoy playing with us.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • Options
    Ra345Ra345 Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited August 2013
    One thing I want to mention as well is that while many people don't mind (or even want to) sponsoring - the way you mention them can make or break it for some.

If I see a contest I really like, but wont be able to participate in - I might offer to sponsor. If someone declares they "need" sponsors, I don't want to. Just like in RL - I may treat my friends sometimes, but if someone I hardly know demands my money I am not going to just hand it over. Just make sure you ask in a friendly way, or just mention somewhere that sponsors are welcome :)
  • Options
    sunsetsorbetsunsetsorbet Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited August 2013
    So I know that not abandoning a contest is a big issue, but what if no one seems interested? How long do I give it before pronouncing it DOA?

Just because not has put up an entry yet doesn't mean no one is interested. People procrastinate and wait till the deadline gets closer.

Keep your thread bumped with inspiration pictures. (Don't over bump. Just a once or twice a day.)
    My SimblrMy ShowcaseMy StudioMy Page
    tumblr_inline_ncxfq7fK9U1t2rf78.png
    (no ts3 wishlist, because I own the store)