Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feedback on my house

Hi everyone! I have just uploaded my house, and I was wondering if any of you would like to give me some feedback on it. For example : is the size right; is the house a wrong colour; does the fence go with the house?
If you wanted to use the house the link is here : http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7560193
If you don't want to download the house, but still want to give feedback then there is a video with screenshots here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYeAxMExdqk
Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing what you have to say :)
DM2011

Comments

• Options
    sophieluckybear7sophieluckybear7 Posts: 238 Member
    edited August 2013
    its not bad..
    maybe more landscaping...
    i think it deffinitely lacks there
    i would give u a 7/10
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited August 2013
    It's not bad, but could use some landscaping as previously suggested. Something to make the lot more interesting to potential downloaders. Also, you use quite a few items from the EA Store which might turn off some downloaders who don't have many sets. People like me who have practially every set in the Store won't mind, though. Good luck!
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    morgangrace16morgangrace16 Posts: 175
    edited August 2013
    I agree with the landscaping. And I think there was a little much going on in the backyard. But other than that I liked it! Efficient use of space. Also, How do you get counters on a diagonal wall? Moveobjects on? Can the sims still use those counters normally without complaining that something is in their way? But overall good job! Would download but I don't have all the necessities.
  • Options
    DragonMage2011DragonMage2011 Posts: 230 Member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll remember to landscape on the next house. I will also tone down the use of store content, too. I wasn't a big fan of the garden either. Does anyone have any tips on how I could improve gardens in the future? :)
    Thanks,
    DM2011
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited August 2013
    Hi DM2011 :-)

What a nice house :thumbup:

I didn't have time for a 13 minute building video so I just looked at the exchange link :P By the way, if you want to include better pictures of your build than the defaults, UIC is a great tool. You may also wish to say in your description whether or not your house contains any custom content (if you're saying it doesn't, please please please double check with Custard before uploading).

I think the house is a really nice shape, and yes, I'd say the colours go well together. I love your idea of framing the main entrance with columns, and the ones you have chosen are a nice style for the build, but if I were being fussy (which I usually am) I'd say they are little scrawny for the space - I might have gone with one of the bulkier (but still rustic-looking) columns. I'm also not crazy about the big, formal windows on your little extension off to the side.

I can't comment on the interiors because the exchange is silly and doesn't show us them, but I'd love to see some pictures (I probably won't be here when/if you post them though - I'm on a kind of a break from the site, so I'm not here very often, but I'm sure others would have useful things to say).

I do agree that the landscaping needs a little work. I like the elements you've included (the pool, the harvestable garden, the treehouse); they just need to be linked together a bit more, maybe with some plants and terrain paints. You could even introduce some subtly different terrain heights, since most gardens in real life aren't completely flat. Remember that loads and loads of plants may cause lag on lower end machines. I'm really not the best person to give landscaping tips as it's a big weakness of mine, but there are lots of tutorials available. Here's just one that I've found useful.

Personally I wouldn't worry about how much store content you're using, unless your sole aim is to have as many people download your house as possible or if you're purposefully trying to set yourself an extra challenge. I would just use whatever content you feels best for your house.

Oh, and if you're looking for really detailed feedback, you could check out this thread in creative corner. Fidlerten, who runs it, is an excellent builder and a very incisive critic, and he gives really great suggestions for builds.

Good luck and happy building!!

GCxx
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    edited August 2013
    The house is a very nice house actually! i love the back garden bit with the pool and the little plant garden, i think the size is a good size! I think the colour of the house is a nice size and the fence does match! I love the layout of the kitchen/dining room, very nice! I really like the bright red walls in the entrance hall and the lights underneath the cabinets! I love the little seating area with the windows... you know that nice little room? I lovely place to chill and maybe read a good book! (that's what i would probably do in there) The stripy couches in the living area are very interesting and nice and again i love the red walls! I love the blue room as it's nice, big and spacious! A good place to hang out with your friends and play some game on the gaming console thing on the tv! The pink nursery room is very bright and pink indeed! The wallpaper you used in the master bedroom is a very nice wallpaper you chose! And i really like the bed choice an the chairs!
    The bathroom is a very nice bathroom and the nice big bathtub is lovely in there! i love the little outdoor barbecue area with the small bar, good job with this house! rec'd!
  • Options
    DragonMage2011DragonMage2011 Posts: 230 Member
    edited August 2013
    @GreenCats

Thank you for taking the time to reply! The house doesn't include CC, but I do have some inside my game. I make sure that I don't use any, but could it somehow get inside the package file? In future I'll make sure that I check with Custard before I upload.

I'm glad you liked how I framed the entrance. However, those columns were the bulkiest ones which were in that style. The one from Late Night was much to thin. I'm not the biggest fan of the windows on the extension either, but I couldn't really find any which fit as well as they did.

I do agree, the garden does need to be tied together better. I wasn't sure how I would go about doing it, because when I've tried it with terrain paints before i didn't think it looked right. I'm sure if I tried a couple of different layouts in my next house then I might be able to get it all to tie together nicely, and not look like everything was just dropped in any random place.

I don't really feel like I used huge amounts of store content. My sole aim isn't to get as many people as possible to download my house, so I will continue to use store content where I see fit. Unless, of course, I'm doing a challenge with only certain EP's, SP's etc.

Thanks for the links to the threads and tutorials, and thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I'll work on getting some images uploaded soon.

Thanks,
    DM2011