Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't Unpause (Edit in Game)

I patched to 1.50 yesterday, updated CAW today, and I was working on my world. I have some waterfalls that I wanted to check and see how they looked in game. So I used the Edit in Game button, but once there, I cannot unpause. Without being able to unpause, I can't see my waterfalls in game (wanted to be sure they looked *natural* enough), which is aggravating!

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix?

Thanks! :)
The Stone Kings--my Random Royal Kingdom Challenge

Full of Beans--a Perfect Genetics, Midnight Sun, ISBI rolled into one challenge

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2013
    I am not understanding what you are saying as you cannot actually go in the game from CAW. They are two seperate entities. So you cannot see the animation in CAW as far as I know.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    MetallifanMetallifan Posts: 188 Member
    edited February 2013
    Nirar is referring to the Edit-in-game function Reg, which does indeed have the ability to unpause itself. You just have to go to the menu, click "Return to game", which will return you to 'Live Mode' and the speed buttons function as usual.

It's also set to enter 'Live Mode' as soon as you load the map in EIG.

If it's a bug, I'm not getting it. Have you tried hopping into a lot, backing out into Edit Town, saving, and then using return to game?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Metallifan

No she said she's in CAW, in EIG - which is a part of caw and is not actually in the game.

This is why I am confused as literally you can't actually go into the live game or Edit town or anything like that Via CAW. As I am not a CAW creator - just a person who tests a lot of CAW created games, I do know EIG is a part of CAW, but to the best of my knowledge is not animated. The creators I know I am always hearing how they export a copy of their world to their game to check how things look in the actual game sometimes - but you can not just go to the game to see how things look - as CAW files and game files are two different things completely - and the file needs to be exported so it can be added to the game in a format the game plays a world in to see ones progress live. Now unless things are done differently than I have always read in CAW's EIG is not actually a part of the game but the create a world map builder. Perhaps I am mistaken seeing I don't use the program, but I did think I paid attention when the creators are building their worlds. In fact many time I have tested unfinshed worlds for creators which has always required them to export the files and then they usually share them with us from media fire to look for problems the same file they use themselves for the same purpose.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    MetallifanMetallifan Posts: 188 Member
    edited February 2013
    Ah, I see where you're confused. Yes they are both part of one overarching label - the CAW editor. However, EIG is nearly identical to the game itself, minus the ability to create families. If you read Nirar's OP again, the issue is that she's either in live mode in EIG and can't unpause, or just having trouble getting back to live mode after editing a lot. It isn't in the CAW terrain/worldspace editor itself, but in the EIG function that she's having difficulty. Because EIG functions exactly like the game and if you try to run the game while in EIG it will tell you that you're already running the game client. That said, it's still prone to several of CAW's bugs, being an extension of the program. But EIG does have a functioning live mode, with pause button and speeds 1-4 (Though my 4th speed never seems to work for some reason :P)

Anyway, any update on this Nirar? I know that CAW has animations enabled, do waterfalls show up there? Never placed one myself, but I know everything else with animations will play them in the base editor as well (Trees, water surfaces, etc...)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Ah, okay. I was always under the belief they had to export it to the game to test it - live and learn. Thanks.

To the OP, sorry I thought I was being helpful and apparently not at all. Good luck - I hope you sort it out.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hi

Yep, unpausing doesn't start the clock running so the animations aren't running. Great... :(
  • Options
    Nirar22Nirar22 Posts: 172 Member
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the replies. :)

@Metallifan---Yeah---I tried going into a lot, returning to game, anything I could think of, and it remained stubbornly paused! *grumbles* The waterfalls are animated in CAW, but to really get a good look at it, I prefer to use the Edit in Game function. Then I can see if the water is coming out in the right places, which is not always so easy to do in CAW, lol.

@Writin_Reg---no worries! I appreciate your willingness to help!

@Rflong7---thanks for confirming it for me. I suppose compared to the terrible bug caused by that one patch, this one isn't so awful. But it will make things a little more difficult when I am checking out the animations!

The Stone Kings--my Random Royal Kingdom Challenge

Full of Beans--a Perfect Genetics, Midnight Sun, ISBI rolled into one challenge
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited February 2013
    The thing with that, unless you paused the animations in CAW, you should be able to see the animations in CAW. Waterfalls, birds, ocean waves are all animated IN CAW unless you choose to stop them. :)

• Options
    BoggygirlBoggygirl Posts: 256 Member
    edited March 2013
    To sort of go along with the Rflong's comment...

My game also will not unpause in EIG, but my hot air balloon and flocks of birds are still in motion. I don't have any waterfalls, but my ocean waves are also ...er... waving?
  • Options
    SeriphinaFyieSeriphinaFyie Posts: 3,506 Member
    edited March 2013
    I've experienced the same issue with EiG since the latest patch. I'm hoping it will resolve with a patch down the line, but not holding my breath.

As far as the checking things out in EiG vs Installing to game, there are some things you will see in EiG, such as ragged terrain and land tears, but others, like road clipping, don't become apparent until the file is exported and installed through the launcher. Hope that clarifies a bit.
  • Options
    tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited March 2013
    Boggygirl wrote:
    I don't have any waterfalls, but my ocean waves are also ...er... waving?

Did you wave back? o.O

I haven't had time to mess with CAW since 1.50. Just a bit of time, but no time at all in EIG. I will check next time in EIG, but I imagine it's gonna be the same as everyone else.
  • Options
    BoggygirlBoggygirl Posts: 256 Member
    edited March 2013
    teehee I will next time I see them ;)
  • Options
    Zach_BundyZach_Bundy Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2013
    I've had the same problem too!

Maybe it has to do with the part of the patch where they try to make fog emitter stuff visible in Edit-in-Game.
  • Options
    doon27doon27 Posts: 150 New Member
    edited April 2013
    Got the same problem here too, just went into EIG and thought I had stuffed up my waterfall as it was no longer flowing, but then I noticed the clock wasn't changing, and the trees and water weren't moving regardless of what speed I put it on. At least the animations are still there in CAW which is one small consolation.

EDIT;
    I was curious whether the new patch was clashing with something I had put on my world so I started a new world and done nothing to it at all, then went to EIG, it was still stuck on paused regardless of what speed I put it on, so it is definitely the patch and not content causing it.
  • Options
    EllorienneEllorienne Posts: 26
    edited May 2013
    Wow, that is so frustrating! I was hoping there would be a fix to this problem. I'm nearing the end of creating a world, and a need to run error trap to clean it up. I can't do that if the clock won't run! Fingers crossed the patch that comes with the next EP fixes it! (I'm completely inexperienced with error trap, but that is what I've been told to do with it).
  • Options
    KarinVKarinV Posts: 12 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Ok... It's been a couple of months now since this issue showed up. I only encountered it now. Did anyone get a solution for this ?
  • Options
    Mahogany_RoseMahogany_Rose Posts: 729 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm curious because I also have this issue. Between this and constant crashing because of *supposedly* running out of memory ( I have 8 gigs and have everything on medium settings ATM) I may never get my island world finished. > : (
  • Options
    ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited August 2013
    I too have this issue :( it's frustrating because before I used to use the Makesim Cheat you can get with an NRAAs mod. With that cheat I would get a sim and I could use that sim to test out routing. I'd spend a bit of time making that sim run around town, try bridges, and watch for disconnected roads as he drove around, and to make sure various lots were accessible. Now to test those things I have to export and install the world. Before I could be in CAW, load EIG, find some problems, go back to CAW, fix them, load EIG and continue testing.