Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Middle names

How about, in The Sims 4, an option for your sim to have a middle name? This was something I've wanted implemented since the first Sims game.

Comments

• Options
    pandabearroxpandabearrox Posts: 2,295 Member
    edited July 2013
    I think that would be a good idea, it would be perfect for the family I am currently playing, it's pretty crazy, every one has the same name: Savannah, so the mom is savannah savannah, the dad is savannah savannah ( :shock: ), and the toddlers name is savannah savannah LOL
  • Options
    Rainbutterfly19Rainbutterfly19 Posts: 92 Member
    edited July 2013
    That is a brilliant idea!
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,118 Member
    edited July 2013
    Interesting idea, but I'm wondering if this would perform any particular function in game?
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Graceey_72Graceey_72 Posts: 678 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Good idea :)
  • Options
    dsignercarlydsignercarly Posts: 192
    edited July 2013
    Great idea!
  • Options
    SeanT346SeanT346 Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2013
    I wouldn't be opposed to the idea but how would it work in game? I mean you can give your Sim a middle name in their biography.
  • Options
    GreenDream19GreenDream19 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited July 2013
    Really great idea! I wish they would also extend the character counts for names, seems very small.
  • Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't know how it would come into play in the game, but I do like those little details so I agree it's a good idea. :)
  • Options
    kama674kama674 Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited July 2013
    Yes, it wouldn't probably affect the gameplay much but I think it would be a nice little detail to be included.
  • Options
    naanaatalinaanaatali Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2013
    What's the difference between just adding it on to the first name box?
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited July 2013
    how would the middle names add to better game play
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    how would the middle names add to better game play
  • Options
    PrincessRainbowPrincessRainbow Posts: 132 Member
    edited July 2013
    They never said it'd "better game play", lol. Why does everything HAVE to make the game better? Details matter, even if it doesn't directly affect game play.

I like the idea. It'd be a fun little tid bit. :)
  • Options
    Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    edited July 2013
    To someone who asked about just putting the middle name along with the first name, the character limit is too small for some. Like if you were to name your sim Anastasia Isabella it probably would not fit. Some people like to give long names and this limit kind of makes that hard.

No this wouldn't affect gameplay really but it would affect our gameplay experience being able to give middle names or longer names.

I think going a little off topic, it would be interesting to be able to choose how the last name works out for newlyweds. Currently whoever initiates marriage is the one that keeps their last name. Its kind of weird when you have a female propose, because the man doesn't live with her so therefore she has to do everything, and the last name continues to be hers and the guy changes his last name to match the female. That's not the way it normally works in rl. I think a box should appear asking to keep your active sim's last name, take spouses, or hyphen the last names should appear.
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited July 2013
    yeah sure its something I could live without but this option would be cool
  • Options
    Moodlet_MamaMoodlet_Mama Posts: 34 New Member
    edited July 2013
    To the people that say why not just add a middle name to the first name box, I disagree. When the game alerts you that "Sim XYZ Middle Name" got a promotion at work, then it calls the Sim the first and middle name. Also, there are limited characters, so if you wanted your Sim to be called Catherine Isabelle or something, you might run out. :P
  • Options
    SimulationdudeSimulationdude Posts: 165 Member
    edited July 2013
    I guess this is a good idea :?
    Someone suggested this and its a very simple idea to implant in the game. Like we have in the sims 3 where in create-a-sim you choose first: last: We could have middle name next to first.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited July 2013
    Sure sounds like a simple enough thing to add that could add a little more to people's characters. I would like the game to allow me to leave that slot blank and move forward if I choose though because I'm too lazy to come up with middle names for my sims.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    it would be kind of pointless in my opinion for sims to have middle names I think its stupid to have a real middle name no one ever calls me by my middle name... infact its just stupid period in real life and in the sims life.. pointless
  • Options
    asdfthesimsasdfthesims Posts: 295 New Member
    edited July 2013
    it would be kind of pointless in my opinion for sims to have middle names I think its stupid to have a real middle name no one ever calls me by my middle name... infact its just stupid period in real life and in the sims life.. pointless

It wouldn't be "pointless", because at least one person asked for it. Therefore, it has a point- to satisfy one's request.

Two reasons why middle names, in real life, are not pointless:

Middle names also distinguish between real life people with the same first and last names.

Middle names are sometimes used to show respect to other, usually older, family members.

When you really think about it, it's really no more "pointless" than a last name, or even, and this is a stretch, a first name. We could just call other people "you" and "you." Middle names, just like first names and last names, add uniqueness to a person.

Whether you think, or whether they are, pointless or not, they still exist. Because they exist, that is reason enough to add them to this game.

Think about the "favorite color" option. It has no in game effect that I've seen, but it's still there.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 316 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I think nick names would be better...

Like Elizabeth but you are called Libby by family or close friends

And if you get grounded your parents will call you Elizabeth! My kids get there full name when in the bad books but we use nicknames most of the time.

My daughter is bebop and my son is toad! To my family his name is shorten from Tayler to Tay.
  • Options
    LielsimsLielsims Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    You can just add it to the private name...
  • Options
    allie1723allie1723 Posts: 12
    edited July 2013
    I like this idea :D
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,118 Member
    edited July 2013
    Salem wrote:

And if you get grounded your parents will call you Elizabeth! My kids get there full name when in the bad books but we use nicknames most of the time.

My daughter is bebop and my son is toad! To my family his name is shorten from Tayler to Tay.

Yes! I do like the idea of nicknames.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DarkChinchillaDarkChinchilla Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Salem wrote:

I definitely love this idea! It should definitely be implemented into Sims 4!!

By the by, I love the way you spell "Tayler".