Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Showcasing Your Lots Workshop III

Comments

• Options
    DarkiDarki Posts: 145 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Darki wrote:
    ! I just finished my secret build. I am not sure if I should be posting finished work here, so scold me if I'm wrong!

screenshot_original.jpg

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7368498

Lovely work Darki. I love your interiors. I would like to have seen a railing on the stairs though. I think a glass one would have fit in very well. Love the bedroom. I've left you a rec.

Have fun!
    MerryWiddow

Thanks Merry. I have built a second one since, a little bit similar on the exterior to this one but much different on the inside and it's a beach home. I have added a lot of the tips I've received, like adding curtains and filling the space more lol

I went safe with this one and the stairs had railings too.
    I don't want to photo-spam with the thread so here's this preview and link.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7387880
    2vdo7sg.jpg

Also, so good to have you back :) Missed you on the thread!
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited June 2013
    Darki wrote:
    Darki wrote:
    ! I just finished my secret build. I am not sure if I should be posting finished work here, so scold me if I'm wrong!

screenshot_original.jpg

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7368498

Lovely work Darki. I love your interiors. I would like to have seen a railing on the stairs though. I think a glass one would have fit in very well. Love the bedroom. I've left you a rec.

Have fun!
    MerryWiddow

Thanks Merry. I have built a second one since, a little bit similar on the exterior to this one but much different on the inside and it's a beach home. I have added a lot of the tips I've received, like adding curtains and filling the space more lol

I went safe with this one and the stairs had railings too.
    I don't want to photo-spam with the thread so here's this preview and link.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7387880
    2vdo7sg.jpg

Also, so good to have you back :) Missed you on the thread!

I like this new one. I for one don't mind the photo spam. I like the interior colours. Nicely done. I've left you a rec.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    edited June 2013
    Darki wrote:

edit: I wanted to ask, how do i put down sim made paintings? does a Sim have to paint them? I didn't see them on the buydebug mode. I was wondering, since I wanted a bigger variety of frames.

I don't know if anyone has answered this question yet or not so I will. You have to get your Sim to paint the paintings. Of course, you have to take what they paint. You can use the cell phone to tell them to memorize a scene and have them paint it. One scene at a time. I haven't tested this with the new smart phones though.

If you plan on placing the paintings on the wall for upload DO NOT frame them. The framed painting will not transfer with the lot. Unframed paintings will however transfer nicely. Good luck.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Darki and MerryWiddow,

Sorry, I remember reading that and then I completely forgot to answer it. MerryWiddow, you seem to know more about the subject anyway.

fidlerten
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    fidlerten wrote:
    Hey Guys,

I have some more photos to show you of my current Sims 2 WIP.

I thought I'd give you a look at the back of the house.

snapshot_00000002_deba7ad6_zpsf9e42b8f.jpg

All of your comments are welcome.

fidlerten

Wow Fid, that looks great. I love what you did with the curtains. You seem to have mixed in the odd piece of very modern furniture here and there. The only one that seems to stand out to me is the table in front of the window with the glass top and the lamp on it in the room with the treadmill. It looks kinda out of place with the very traditional table in the same room. You are the master of the master bathroom. I love your bathrooms. The bedrooms almost look like studio apartments. Love it.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Hey MerryWiddow,

Thank you for the nice compliments. Now that you have pointed it out to me, I have to agree with you, though I don't mind a little mixing it up in some of my builds, things still need to flow with each other.

I do bathrooms well because often guest will see your bathrooms. When you have someone over, they often tend to ask - especially right after they walk in your door - to use the bathroom. So, it's always nice to have an impressive bathroom to send them to.

I also practically live in my bedroom, so for personal reasons I like a nice bedroom that satisfies many of my needs and wants.

fidlerten

Edit:
    Everyone!

Here is the link for the next page:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/15330/279465.page#10936236
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think I'll finally post a house on here.This house house I'm building now has been changed quite bit already as I had some feedback on another site.

fWFFerD.jpg
    This is how it looked before I did some editing.It was suggested to change
    the windows, the siding and the roof color.

EMf56fY.jpg
    This what I have right now.I still have to recolor the door and such.
    Its a WIP.

Springfairy,

For the exterior, I think you got some decent advice but I think there is room for improvement.

The first thing I noticed with the renovated version is the dirt path, you have it leading up to the foundation of your porch but not where it should be, which is leading to the steps. I also want to know if you mean the dirt path to be a natural dirt path that was created by sims walking on it or was it on purposely created. I think if it's suppose to be natural, you need to put more thought into what would be a normal walking path for someone to walk from one area to another and to your porch steps. If it's a purposely created walkway, perhaps you would think about using floor tile instead of terrain paint since it is a straight path.

Now the bushes around the house is fine but I think I would break them up a little with a flower bush. As far as the little wheel barrel that you have sitting in front, why not add something else there, perhaps if you have it, an old style hand pump for a well sitting next to it.

You might also consider adding a couple of dormers on top of the roof.

For your interiors work, I have several suggestions also.

Let's start with your kitchen; you first need some light in this room. Either add some ceiling light fixtures or some wall sconces. I would suggest using tile on the kitchen floor instead of wood. I can't see that well without more light in the room but I think you could also use some contrast. You seem to use a great deal of darker or warmer colors throughout your interior and that's great but you need to add some lighter colors also to bring contrast to your rooms.

I think you should use the larger, square sinks with the long faucets, which are more appropriate for kitchens. I think perhaps as far as contrast in this room, maybe either having the walls in a light pastel color or the cabinets in a lighter color but there definitely needs to be a break up with the dark colors. Also, your bar stools need to be on the other side of the counter or I doubt the sims will sit in them.

I now see in the second photo that you have added light and changed the floor. Looks better but same thing applies, either lighter walls or lighter floors would help a great deal here.

As far as bouncing around, try focusing on one room at a time and don't quit until you feel the room is perfect.

I think you have great potential, keep working at it.

Nice work.

fidlerten

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Hi everyone. I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the house I've been working on. This is for one of my families. Building as they earn.

The kitchen

These first shots show the layout better.

screen17.jpg

screen18.jpg

screen19.jpg

screen20.jpg

These shots show the added shelving.

screen34.jpg

screen35.jpg

The games room.

screen36.jpg

screen37.jpg

The interior of the greenhouse.

screen38.jpg

Still a WIP. Hope you like

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hi everyone. I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the house I've been working on. This is for one of my families. Building as they earn.

The kitchen

screen17.jpg

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Hey MerryWiddow,

Sorry I was slow responding but I'm in the process of moving to another address and things are going to be hectic for a while.

I think a nice pattern on the wall behind the counters would add some character to the room and cut back on the stucco look. The shelves help a great deal, nice addition.

There's a corner in the games room that a nice plant or perhaps a statue, would look great. I think there would still be plenty of room for your ping pong table. Also, a nice painting on the wall to the left of the TV would fill that empty wall space. I think some wall sconces would lighten the place up too.

Love the greenhouse. Nice work all around.

fidlerten
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    fidlerten wrote:

The kitchen

screen17.jpg

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Hey MerryWiddow,

Sorry I was slow responding but I'm in the process of moving to another address and things are going to be hectic for a while.

I think a nice pattern on the wall behind the counters would add some character to the room and cut back on the stucco look. The shelves help a great deal, nice addition.

There's a corner in the games room that a nice plant or perhaps a statue, would look great. I think there would still be plenty of room for your ping pong table. Also, a nice painting on the wall to the left of the TV would fill that empty wall space. I think some wall sconces would lighten the place up too.

Love the greenhouse. Nice work all around.

fidlerten

Thanks very much Fid for your comments. With the new gifting process in the game, the table tennis and a bowling alley (in the basement) were gifts. My Sims also received wedding gifts and keep getting gifts from friends who want to date them. They always turn them down for dates but stay friends. With all this, I'm in no shortage of artwork etc. I'm sure those empty spaces will be filled quickly. There is still a lot that will change, including the kitchen. Practically all the walls in the house are the same. I'll be changing them as I go.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I wanted to edit my previous message, but it hasn't shown up yet.

I wanted to add good luck with your move Fid.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Thanks MerryWiddow. I dread it all.

fidlerten
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    fidlerten wrote:

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Thanks MerryWiddow. I dread it all.

fidlerten

I know what you mean. You wouldn't catch me moving.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hey Everyone!

This thread has not had any activity in a while now, though I want everyone to know that I do check with it at least once a day if not two.

I am finally moved into my new home and have mostly unpacked, though still much to do. Still, I will try to check up on the thread regularly, or at least until Sims 4 debuts and then I might start another there after a while. I will be sure to advertise it on this thread if I do.

Let's hope that Sims 4 has some great building tools.

fidlerten

• Options
    NickyzNickyz Posts: 288 Member
    edited July 2013
    Hi all! Finally logged on to Sims 3. My com had abit of another trouble and finally i could log back in last night. Remodelled this house i found off the net.

Exterior

Screenshot-3-2.jpg

Screenshot-2-2.jpg

Screenshot-51.jpg
    Living room/Dining room
    Screenshot-4-2.jpg

Screenshot-5-2.jpg
    I'm not sure what to call this.. Maybe an art room?

Screenshot-7-2.jpg

Master Bedroom

Screenshot-9-2.jpg

Screenshot-10-2.jpg

Screenshot-11-2.jpg

Toilet
    Screenshot-12-2.jpg
    westlife5.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Nickyz wrote:
    Hi all! Finally logged on to Sims 3. My com had abit of another trouble and finally i could log back in last night. Remodelled this house i found off the net.

Exterior

Screenshot-3-2.jpg

Hey Nicky,

I'm not sure but I might be the only one checking on this thread nowadays but I suppose we'll see.

I like the idea of a houseboat, especially if it can afford you a comfortable and luxurious pad, which this one does.

You do good with interiors as you work well with color; you don't go over board as many builders do. Even I can get carried away with it. Yet, I do think you try playing it too safe and I think you could use a little flare, like an accent wall here and there, or perhaps some kind of wild pattern on some couches. Just try mixing it up and add just a touch of something to each of your rooms that make them unique and adds some taste.

I like your choice of furnishings for the most part, you kept the modern design throughout. I noticed you didn't use any angles as far as the way you have your furniture set up. As easy as it is to do in TS3, I recommend to throw in a few angles to bring in more realism.

Use more area rugs and throw rugs throughout, which also gives you a chance to use a little flare. Try using floor tiles with Control+F to design some area rugs with floor tiles. There are Thousands of designs you can create. I'm sure you seen my rug tutorial before. If not, slip over to my studio and take a look at it, in my media files under stories. I'm sure it can give you some ideas about what you can do with floor tiles.

You are a good designer but now it is time to take it to another level.

Nice job!

fidlerten
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited July 2013
    Hi guys, :D

After a long time I have uploaded a build. It is a small houseboat called 'Sand in the Toes'. I would appreciate if you guys can give me some feedback on this. Thanks in advance. Here is the link to my thread:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/697141.page
  • Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited July 2013
    Yanti -- great houseboat build -- left you a rec and a comment on your thread.

(((o(*゚▽゚*)o))) Sue Pea
    h2xmsbl]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    suepea wrote:
    Yanti -- great houseboat build -- left you a rec and a comment on your thread.

(((o(*゚▽゚*)o))) Sue Pea

Thank you Sue. Very sweet of you. I am happy that you liked it. :D
  • Options
    jewels-simsjewels-sims Posts: 27 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I just posted my own topic without realising that this thread existed :O oops! I guess I could post this here instead of cluttering up the forum :)

I made a house for a follower's gift on Tumblr about a month back and shared it, but I'm not much of a builder so I don't know much about building tricks, etc. So I was looking for a bit of critique on my build?

The house is on a 10x10 lot (I think). It was pretty difficult to take good pictures because of the size of the house :P Nevertheless, here they are:

EXTERIOR
    MytLpPg.jpg

FIRST FLOOR

ENTRANCE
    1N5x7C3.jpg

BATHROOM
    arIbNOk.jpg

SECOND FLOOR

LIVING ROOM
    UHN09g9.jpg

KITCHEN
    Hi8oXhe.jpg

THIRD FLOOR

BEDROOM
    hi2ML7B.jpg

FLOOR PLAN

FIRST FLOOR
    sKdB9e2.jpg

SECOND FLOOR
    1KokQVf.jpg

THIRD FLOOR
    ahWJxKV.jpg

Yepp... that's about it XD I'm very happy with the way it turned out, especially since I only used 1 piece of CC in it. But I'd be happy to hear criticism on my builds - I'm always to improve, since I'm definitely not the best in any shape or form :P An album with all of the pics in it can be found here :)

So yeah. Thanks for looking :D

N.B. I just copied & pasted the topic stuff from the original. I don't really know how things work here, so don't hate me if I've done something wrong XD
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    yanti68 wrote:

After a long time I have uploaded a build. It is a small houseboat called 'Sand in the Toes'. I would appreciate if you guys can give me some feedback on this. Thanks in advance. Here is the link to my thread:

Hi yanti,

The most I can say here is "real cute". Though it is compact, you did an excellent job with the decor to make it look very comfortable, especially just as a vacation home to get away for a few days perhaps.

Nice work and a rec from me.

fidlerten

Hey Everyone!

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/15345/279465.page#11099282
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I just posted my own topic without realising that this thread existed :O oops! I guess I could post this here instead of cluttering up the forum :)

I made a house for a follower's gift on Tumblr about a month back and shared it, but I'm not much of a builder so I don't know much about building tricks, etc. So I was looking for a bit of critique on my build?

The house is on a 10x10 lot (I think). It was pretty difficult to take good pictures because of the size of the house :P Nevertheless, here they are:

EXTERIOR
    MytLpPg.jpg

Yepp... that's about it XD I'm very happy with the way it turned out, especially since I only used 1 piece of CC in it. But I'd be happy to hear criticism on my builds - I'm always to improve, since I'm definitely not the best in any shape or form :P An album with all of the pics in it can be found here :)

So yeah. Thanks for looking :D

N.B. I just copied & pasted the topic stuff from the original. I don't really know how things work here, so don't hate me if I've done something wrong XD

Jewels,

Its very small but I think you did a nice job with the concept. The interior probably could use some wall decor and perhaps you could recolor that brown loveseat. You did stay neutral with the colors, which is good but I think you could probably pop it up a little.

Nice work Jewels. Perhaps next time you could go with a bigger lot and build a bit bigger house.

fidlerten
  • Options
    jewels-simsjewels-sims Posts: 27 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the feedback! I wanted to stay small because of my limited abilities but I think next time I'll branch out a little bit :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    fidlerten wrote:
    yanti68 wrote:

Hi yanti,

The most I can say here is "real cute". Though it is compact, you did an excellent job with the decor to make it look very comfortable, especially just as a vacation home to get away for a few days perhaps.

fidlerten

Hey Everyone!

Thank you Fid. I can live with real cute. :D It is just a small simple build. Can't do much with such a tiny lot. Appreciate the recommendation. Hope you are still building. Haven't seen you uploading for a long time.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    yanti68 wrote:
    fidlerten wrote:
    yanti68 wrote:

Hi yanti,

fidlerten

Hey Everyone!

Thank you Fid. I can live with real cute. :D It is just a small simple build. Can't do much with such a tiny lot. Appreciate the recommendation. Hope you are still building. Haven't seen you uploading for a long time.

Hey yanti,

I am still building but in TS2. I have a game going there but I have been spending any time in TS3, the game is hard on my machine. Perhaps I'll get a new machine someday. I do want to try TS4 when it comes out, though I know I should just leave it alone. We'll see.

fidlerten
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    yanti68 wrote:
    fidlerten wrote:
    yanti68 wrote:

Hi yanti,

fidlerten

Hey yanti,

I am still building but in TS2. I have a game going there but I have been spending any time in TS3, the game is hard on my machine. Perhaps I'll get a new machine someday. I do want to try TS4 when it comes out, though I know I should just leave it alone. We'll see.

fidlerten
  • Options
    NickyzNickyz Posts: 288 Member
    edited July 2013
    fidlerten wrote:
    Nickyz wrote:

Exterior

Screenshot-3-2.jpg

Hey Nicky,

I'm not sure but I might be the only one checking on this thread nowadays but I suppose we'll see.

I like the idea of a houseboat, especially if it can afford you a comfortable and luxurious pad, which this one does.

You do good with interiors as you work well with color; you don't go over board as many builders do. Even I can get carried away with it. Yet, I do think you try playing it too safe and I think you could use a little flare, like an accent wall here and there, or perhaps some kind of wild pattern on some couches. Just try mixing it up and add just a touch of something to each of your rooms that make them unique and adds some taste.

I like your choice of furnishings for the most part, you kept the modern design throughout. I noticed you didn't use any angles as far as the way you have your furniture set up. As easy as it is to do in TS3, I recommend to throw in a few angles to bring in more realism.

Use more area rugs and throw rugs throughout, which also gives you a chance to use a little flare. Try using floor tiles with Control+F to design some area rugs with floor tiles. There are Thousands of designs you can create. I'm sure you seen my rug tutorial before. If not, slip over to my studio and take a look at it, in my media files under stories. I'm sure it can give you some ideas about what you can do with floor tiles.

You are a good designer but now it is time to take it to another level.

Nice job!

fidlerten

Hi fid. Thanks for the reps and tips.
    i tried to play it safe as i just started building after a long while out of building. Will try to experiment more as i find inspiration!

Will check out your studio for ideas! :)

westlife5.gif