Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer Upgrade:)

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    ryansimsgameryansimsgame Posts: 119
    edited June 2013
    Ooops! When I said 'GPU' in my last post I meant Graphics card, meaning he tried both from the store which didnt work, it was on but no display. But my Nvidia GT 640 was working and displayed image. I dont know what gpu I have, i dont think, my default graphics card is Nvidia GT640, i have a HP 2311x Monitor 1920x1080, the man in the store used the store one which was bigger than mine.
  • Options
    CaptobvsCaptobvs Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited June 2013
    Yes GPU is the correct term and it was what I was after. I've reviewed your card and it doesn't look like it needs it's own power supply (runs off of motherboard power).

I've reviewed your monitor (jealous!) and it should work with any card on the market. I'm thinking the computer guy either didn't plug any power into the card itself or the monitor could not read it. My next step would be to take in the whole computer system (including the montitor), install one of the cards you want, make sure it has power and the fans spin up, and plug your monitor cable into the HDMI port. If this doesn't work than that expansion slot is reading bad on the motherboard.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Okay. Im really bummed that this has happened. :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    But this is so confusing and complicated. Im scared to spend my money just incase it doesnt work, im really stressed out over it!:(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ive done some research and found some interesting news.

Firstly, some graphic cards require power from the actual psu, not the pci-e. And, you need to uninstall your device from device manager and remove any drivers. When I checked my PC when I was home, my GT640 driver was installed again, but I uninstalled it before I left to PC World. Do you think windows update has installed it as soon as they turned it on before they took my old one out? Or did he install a wrong driver???:)
  • Options
    CaptobvsCaptobvs Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited June 2013
    Yes this is what I was referring to about him "plugging in" the graphics card. I did not mean into the board but from a cable from the psu to the gpu. it's usually just a small little cable, but it has to be the right one or it won't work. you can tell if it's powered up because the fan(s) will spin up.

If the tech didn't uninstall the 640 drivers and reinstall the new ones, it can be more difficult to get it to work. The easiest way to do it is to be connected to the internet. Take out the old gpu, install the new gpu, let windows detect the new one and install Nvidia drivers from the disc. It will uninstall the old ones and install the new ones automatically. If you're connected to the internet it will prompt for latest driver download. I'm hoping you get this worked out.
  • Options
    pam4402003pam4402003 Posts: 999 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have all the EP's and SP's on my pc and I am using that card mine is as follows...
    Navidia GeForce GT 640
    PCI Express x16
    2.00 GB
    Once I got the game to recognize my card it works great with all games installed
  • Options
    pam4402003pam4402003 Posts: 999 Member
    edited June 2013
    double post :shock:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY! Lol. It had something to do with Secure Boot and Legacy Boot in Windows 8 which was preventing me from booting with a different graphics card. I just wanna spread the word of this now because I know so many people facing this problem! Im so happy!!!