Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let me decide...pregnant sims and other agravating issues

Comments

• Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited June 2013
    windweaver wrote:
    Please let me decide if my pregnant sim goes to work.

Please give me back the nannies.

Please don't limit what my pregnant sim can do.

Please don't try to control my Sim's morals. It's not up to you to decide if my child sims are at a nudest colony (especially when you have the censor cover up the entire room the way you do? :roll: )

Please quit trying to be responsible for every neglectful parent on the planet. It's not up to you, EA, to keep your game from scarring 10 year olds, it's up to you to make a game fun for teens and above.

Quit it! Put back the steamy love scenes like we have in The Sims 2. Your attempt to protect younger players is obvious and I hate it. Family Court and Child Protective Agencies are the ones who will protect them. Give us, the teens (I wish I was, lol) and above (that's me, the above....wayyyyy above) our game back.

Okay, I feel better. Thanks for letting me rant. :oops:

I agree, Windweaver. Those things irritate me too.

It should be up to the player whether or not to coddle their Sims, and there should be consequences if we don't take care of them. I don't want the game to push someone else's morals on me or protect my Sims for/from me.

I know we'll never get an M-rated Sims game, but I do hope TS4 at least returns to truly deserving a "T" rating. TS3 seemed too much like it was trying to be a game for kiddies.

I want the hotter "make out" interaction from TS2 back in TS4. I'm not a child and I don't want to play a kiddie game.
  • Options
    Sara2573Sara2573 Posts: 295 Member
    edited June 2013
    windweaver wrote:
    Hi Sara! Oh sure I remember that, so does a bunch of other veteran simmers, I'm sure. In fact, I play The Sims 2 more than I do 3 at this point. Even though I have all ep's, sp's and lots of store stuff, 2 is just a better game. There's more to do with your sims than 3 and it's just more fun for the way I play.

They have made some really great strides in 3 with the past few expansions, but it's not their fault that they are so limited with what they can do with it. I hope their great ideas continue with 4 as they get closer and closer to releasing it. I hope we end up with a base game that can hold its own, like the ts2 base game can. 3 just didn't have the creative genius behind it like the original game and the ts2 base game. But that's Will Wright's baby. Wouldn't it be great if he came back? well, if he leaves his ideas for the internet behind, anyway, lol.

I honestly like TS2 more simply because it has never crashed on me. The Sims 3, I'm lucky if I can make a family of 2 in CAS. I know other people don't have these problems, but they are so annoying. >.<
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    windweaver wrote:
    Please let me decide if my pregnant sim goes to work.

Please give me back the nannies.

Please don't limit what my pregnant sim can do.

Please don't try to control my Sim's morals. It's not up to you to decide if my child sims are at a nudest colony (especially when you have the censor cover up the entire room the way you do? :roll: )

Please quit trying to be responsible for every neglectful parent on the planet. It's not up to you, EA, to keep your game from scarring 10 year olds, it's up to you to make a game fun for teens and above.

Quit it! Put back the steamy love scenes like we have in The Sims 2. Your attempt to protect younger players is obvious and I hate it. Family Court and Child Protective Agencies are the ones who will protect them. Give us, the teens (I wish I was, lol) and above (that's me, the above....wayyyyy above) our game back.

Okay, I feel better. Thanks for letting me rant. :oops:

I agree, Windweaver. Those things irritate me too.

It should be up to the player whether or not to coddle their Sims, and there should be consequences if we don't take care of them. I don't want the game to push someone else's morals on me or protect my Sims for/from me.

I know we'll never get an M-rated Sims game, but I do hope TS4 at least returns to truly deserving a "T" rating. TS3 seemed too much like it was trying to be a game for kiddies.

I want the hotter "make out" interaction from TS2 back in TS4. I'm not a child and I don't want to play a kiddie game.

Oh, wow. I totally forgot about the difference between TS3 make-out interaction and the Sims 2 one. I'll just say myself that TS2 make-out interaction was a lot more...uhm- unique? I don't know how to describe it. xD
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited June 2013
    Sara2573 wrote:
    Okay, look. IRL, I haven't been pregnant. I don't know the restrictions, but there are restrictions.
    Let me put this here (from an article about pregnant women): "medical truth is that pregnant women should stay out of saunas and hot tubs."

See? It is the same way in the Sims because it is true. I'll even link the article if you want me to.

But this isn't RL. It's a game filled with little virtual people we create.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    BeachGirl6747BeachGirl6747 Posts: 411 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I agree with you on all points. I do think that pregnant Sims should have the option to take off from work without being penalized, but they sholdn't be forced to take off from work.

I never thought I would miss the nannies, but I do. I like how you could set up a specific schedule with them. Also it really bugs me that the teens are missing school to watch my kids. I would really like it if I could just drop them off at a daycare, even if it is just a rabbithole.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Sara2573 wrote:
    Okay, look. IRL, I haven't been pregnant. I don't know the restrictions, but there are restrictions.
    Let me put this here (from an article about pregnant women): "medical truth is that pregnant women should stay out of saunas and hot tubs."

See? It is the same way in the Sims because it is true. I'll even link the article if you want me to.

I know it isn't real life, but everyone is talking about how all these women are pregnant in real life and they are doing all this stuff. Im saying that EA made it a certain way because it is sometimes like that in real life. It just makes sense that way. :/
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited June 2013
    Sara2573 wrote:

And as such, being a game filled with little virtual people we create, we should be able to play it as we like since it is supposedly a "Sandbox"

however, with the morality police, the gyn obstetrics police and whatever other organization that has obviously lobbied EA to make this game a lot more bland and boring is involved, then it's really not a sandbox, is it?
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,790 Member
    edited June 2013
    @winderweaver blame Jack Thompson-he's the one who made Sims 3 game due to his lawsuits-be an E10+ and not a T for teen game.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    @winderweaver blame Jack Thompson-he's the one who made Sims 3 game due to his lawsuits-be an E10+ and not a T for teen game.

You keep bringing up Jack Thompson. Why?

I'm assuming you are talking about the right extremist wing nut who is against most video games and almost everything else.

The man is a disbarred attorney who has done every attention grabbing thing he can from asking that Janet Reno be arrested for battery because she touched him on his shoulder to suing facebook.

Any rational person sees this man for what he is....a colossal joke who tries to perpetuate the fear of social downfall.

ETA Just from watching the news I knew he had been disbarred but I got curious as to why and looked it up. This is basically what I found.

In February 2007, The Florida Bar filed disbarment proceedings against Thompson over allegations of professional misconduct. The action was the result of separate grievances filed by people claiming that Thompson made defamatory, false statements and attempted to humiliate, embarrass, harass or intimidate them.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    DancerBakerSimLoveDancerBakerSimLove Posts: 4,415 New Member
    edited June 2013
    But you can make a very fat sim do everything else that everyone does ( I don't play fat sims so Idk what it looks like) but I would think if fat sims can be normal so can pregnant sims.

Did you..really say this.

Fat is not the same as pregnant..I don't even see why you would think that a sim that is fat is the same as a pregnant one.

What is even going on in your mind?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MadameLee wrote:

Because he's the one who made the (North American Teen rating) be a lot more stricter (and henceforth make Sims 3 an E10 game then a Teen game) then it used to be because of his lawsuits. Remember ow Sims 2 was with goosing,etc. Sims 2 was the last game which could have family members kiss each other (it was just a peck on the cheek) but because of Jack-only M rated games can have that now.

From Tayna:

They're operating under standing orders from Congress.

No, seriously; that lawyer mentioned? There was a Congressional investigation into the ESRB, and the ESRB walked away with orders from Congress to make their ratings standards more strict.

What makes it ugly? Sims 2 was used as one of the pieces of evidence against the ESRB. Give you three guesses why Sims 3 is a lot less mature in overall tone by comparison.

That's why some features allowed under the T rating in Sims 2 days are under the M rating these day.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

Because he's the one who made the (North American Teen rating) be a lot more stricter (and henceforth make Sims 3 an E10 game then a Teen game) then it used to be because of his lawsuits. Remember ow Sims 2 was with goosing,etc. Sims 2 was the last game which could have family members kiss each other (it was just a peck on the cheek) but because of Jack-only M rated games can have that now.

From Tayna:

They're operating under standing orders from Congress.

No, seriously; that lawyer mentioned? There was a Congressional investigation into the ESRB, and the ESRB walked away with orders from Congress to make their ratings standards more strict.

What makes it ugly? Sims 2 was used as one of the pieces of evidence against the ESRB. Give you three guesses why Sims 3 is a lot less mature in overall tone by comparison.

That's why some features allowed under the T rating in Sims 2 days are under the M rating these day.

That is ridiculous. Well, obviously we are not getting a a game that will be any fun, I guess. I think I'll go find something else to do. :roll:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Madam Lee can you please separate accepted rumor from fact and opinion? The TS2 uproar was about mods.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/28/technology/personaltech/sims_rating/

I'm posting the link with the warning they use normally accepted words for body parts in the article. It may upset some people.
    Thompson told CNN/Money that he's not sure he's even going to push for the ESRB to change the "Sims 2" rating, but he believes Congress will soon hold hearings on the whole issue of ratings and the content of video games.

"I think you're going to see some pretty interesting hearings on the hill," he said.

In comments to other media, an EA spokesmen said that Thompson's complaints about "Sims 2" are nonsense and that the company has no responsibility for changes being made to the game.

"Reasonable people recognize what mods are," EA spokesman Jeff Brown told the San Jose Mercury News. "A consumer who chooses to use a mod does so without any kind of agreement with the company. There is no nudity. There is nothing improper or vulgar in 'The Sims 2.'

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Its not rumor-its truth, from people who were actually around during the Sims 2 days. I only have Jarise9 and Tayna's words for it. Congress didn't know till people starting writing in from U.S. that EA didn't have any control over what people downloaded. But Sims 2 was one of the games which was used AGAINST ESBR-search Jack Thompson on the forum here-hence the stritcer teen rating.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    Its not rumor-its truth, from people who were actually around during the Sims 2 days. I only have Jarise9 and Tayna's words for it.

Please find me a news paper story, an actual link, a news account or some other verifiable source that Jack Thompson did anything but cause a stink. I found no account that he was he treated as anything as a nuisance as far as The Sims were concerned. He did get some people to look at some very violent games. I found nothing to support he had any effect on the ESRB.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Everyone else is blaming (Jarise9/Tayna) are blamming Jack Thompson for the stricter rating. But its your own fault for not wanting to listen.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited June 2013
    But you can make a very fat sim do everything else that everyone does ( I don't play fat sims so Idk what it looks like) but I would think if fat sims can be normal so can pregnant sims.

Did you..really say this.

Fat is not the same as pregnant..I don't even see why you would think that a sim that is fat is the same as a pregnant one.

What is even going on in your mind?

I believe the "fat comparison" was only made in an attempt to prove that the suggestion of animation problems/clipping is not a valid reason why pregnant sims cannot do certain things. It is just my assumption based on the flow of the conversation, but I do not believe the quoted member intended to suggest that pregnant and fat are the same thing.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    Everyone else is blaming (Jarise9/Tayna) are blamming Jack Thompson for the stricter rating. But its your own fault for not wanting to listen.

Madam Lee I'm a rational, logical person who likes to deal in fact not speculation and rumor. I've read and listened to what you've said but you are using a he said/she said argument. All I'm asking for is some facts to back your position.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What Tayna/Jarise9 were actually there in the Sims 2 days.. I can't really find any articles (except for something about a GTA thing-which was one of the other games, besides Sims 2 and Bully) about the Congress ESBR Investigation made the rating stricter.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    okay, so this is not verified? Jarsie and Tanya have been wrong in the past, maybe they have been misinformed.

I was around in the ts2 days. I remember JT making some noise, but I don't remember it going anywhere. The game didn't change.

But you know? if they are right that does explain why t3 is so darn boring. All the fun things from 2 had been cooled off considerably. Perhaps it wasn't by law that EA went the direction they did, but rather by choice. Perhaps they wanted to avoid the right wing types from causing some bad PR for them. Image is so important to so many companies.

An example is simcity 5. Look what that mess did for them....for us. t4 will be off line, single player. I don't know for sure, but speculating here, all the flack out of that company for years was how online was the future. No game is approved unless it's online, and so forth. Then CEO JR leaves, Simcity fails, ts4 is announced as an off line game???? I'm left feeling that it's all related.

So, maybe to keep their image from going through the mud again, they decided to cool 3 down to tepid. Just a guess.

In order to get the interactions we had in 2, maybe EA should consider more than one version? Maybe it should have some kind of in between game. I don't want an M for sure. It would just be disgusting, I'm sure. But just exactly like we had in 2? That was just funny.

I am starting to rethink my intentions about 4. Maybe I'll just wait and see how it goes.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    What Tayna/Jarise9 were actually there in the Sims 2 days.. I can't really find any articles (except for something about a GTA thing-which was one of the other games, besides Sims 2 and Bully) about the Congress ESBR Investigation made the rating stricter.

So you can't find anything about Thompson having any influence in respect to The Sims,Congress and ESRB? I'm pretty sure that if it was there it would come up in a Google search.

So please excuse me but at this point I think you are going on rumor and news stories that were repeated out of context.

I will be glad to read any story that you can link to for me.

ETA....JT is the same person who reported that TS2 included full frontal nudity with explicit body parts. Perhaps this is why his disbarment proceedings included the fact that he made defamatory, false statements.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    windweaver wrote:
    okay, so this is not verified? Jarsie and Tanya have been wrong in the past, maybe they have been misinformed.

I was around in the ts2 days. I remember JT making some noise, but I don't remember it going anywhere. The game didn't change.

I really looked and could not find any verification.

But as far as the game getting watered down I'll speculate it's more due to EA trying to pull in the tween crowd instead of any right wing extremists.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited June 2013
    windweaver wrote:

But you know? if they are right that does explain why t3 is so darn boring. All the fun things from 2 had been cooled off considerably. Perhaps it wasn't by law that EA went the direction they did, but rather by choice. Perhaps they wanted to avoid the right wing types from causing some bad PR for them. Image is so important to so many companies.

An example is simcity 5. Look what that mess did for them....for us. t4 will be off line, single player. I don't know for sure, but speculating here, all the flack out of that company for years was how online was the future. No game is approved unless it's online, and so forth. Then CEO JR leaves, Simcity fails, ts4 is announced as an off line game???? I'm left feeling that it's all related.

So, maybe to keep their image from going through the mud again, they decided to cool 3 down to tepid. Just a guess.

In order to get the interactions we had in 2, maybe EA should consider more than one version? Maybe it should have some kind of in between game. I don't want an M for sure. It would just be disgusting, I'm sure. But just exactly like we had in 2? That was just funny.

I am starting to rethink my intentions about 4. Maybe I'll just wait and see how it goes.

Certainly EA may have made some decisions on their own without needing a court ruling to force them to. As I read the article that was linked earlier in this thread, I found myself thinking of how much more difficult it was for cc creators and modders to mod the Sims 3. I do not use mods or cc but I do read the forums a lot, and I remember how many people complained about the challenges in the early days of Sims 3. Many people suggested the change was for EA to make more money off their Sims 3 Store, and that certainly could've been part of it, or merely a pleasant side effect of their choice. Perhaps they made it more difficult to satisfy those who blamed EA for the inappropriate cc that gets made (and sadly is still being produced for Sims 3).

EA cannot be held responsible for the actions of modders though, and they have taken steps to make it more difficult to modify the game.

Sadly, the always online route is one way to put an end to modding the game. I DO NOT want it to ever go that way, though! I am content to just play my game without any third party content and I'm not going to complain about the type of stuff other people add to their games--so long as it does not make it onto the Exchange on this site.

But yeah, the more this topic is discussed, the more I find myself agreeing with the OP's suggestion. I do have an M rated game that I play and it's not disgusting or vulgar. I have sometimes wondered about the rating, but since it's a game where you fight aliens and there is violence, some blood, and some "scary" aliens, then I guess that's why it has its M rating. I think an "adults only" rating does not have to mean "dirty." Therefore, an M rated Sims game would not have to be explicit or disturbing, but simply not suitable for underage kids to be playing.

I would prefer if juice was called what it is. We all know it's not juice and nectar. I use the barrier to entry system to bar teen sims from my clubs because I know what juice is, and I don't let my pregnant sims drink juice because I know what it is.

So yeah, I think the OP is right and we'd be better off with an M rated Sims game that has the content we expect from the game, including some consequences and potential for failure. An M rating doesn't have to mean extremely disturbing or offensive.

EDIT: My apologies! This is not the thread where the OP suggested creating two versions of the game. I had my threads mixed up due to how this conversation evolved. This thread is about restrictions on pregnancy and other aggravating issues. Please forgive me for my mistake.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    Kisky2002Kisky2002 Posts: 114 Member
    edited June 2013
    When my mom was pregnant with me she worked up until like the last month of pregnancy.

And honestly, some of us are young and mature enough to handle what you guys call "Teen stuff" *Ahem Me* I am going into my first year of middle school when school starts back up, and that stuff doesn't even bother me. I bet some of you thought I was older based on maturity.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    enkeli ESRB's Mature rating is
    Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

I don't think EA will ever go that way.

I'm like you though. I sometimes add mods that change the rating but I'm an adult that is way past the age of consent.