Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A different Gru reponse to a touchy topic

Comments

• Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited May 2013
    hmm wonder what jarsie would think of this !

I personally don't think it means anything gurus can discuss all they want but they don't have the final say as to what is featured in these games and the higher ups made a promise a long time ago that they wouldn't include this !
  • Options
    riniraerinirae Posts: 3,916 New Member
    edited May 2013
    snurfles wrote:
    Actually, deaf people can drive. They just have to pay much closer attention to what's going on around them. I was active in the deaf community in high school and at least one of the guys in the group could drive and had his own car.
    I'd also like to add that Deaf people are also statistically safer drivers than those are Hearing. ;) Some Deaf people also do choose to talk. I've been taking ASL for 4 years and there's a lot of misconceptions about the Deaf (even most Deaf don't consider themselves disabled). I think that could also cause a problem. I feel like EA wouldn't look into the different communities behind each of the disabilities you listed. Even further generalizing each disability could make it worse. Like I said, not all Deaf people sign, a good portion also choose to talk, etc. I'm not sure about what other disability communities are like but I don't think this would be a good idea at all, sorry.
  • Options
    dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited May 2013
    The sims is my escape from my condition, I don't want to see disabled sims in my game and whilst I appreciate that there are those that feel under represented an EP including these features would be a trolls dream.
    Can you imagine what some of the more vicious trolls would be able to do and say with this sort of firepower. It's already a divisive issue in the community and no doubt this would simply create more adversity. Plus it would be a complete PR nightmare for EA.

Talking of EA, each expansion pack contains some stereotypical or slapstick humour, how would they deal with that without offending in a disabilities geared EP? I for one wouldn't find it funny if sims occasionally fell out of a wheelchair or run over someone's foot, that's cringe worthy and embarrassing in real life. I don't see how they could achieve this sensitively.
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • Options
    loileeloilee Posts: 614 Member
    edited May 2013
    The sims is my escape from my condition, I don't want to see disabled sims in my game and whilst I appreciate that there are those that feel under represented an EP including these features would be a trolls dream.
    Can you imagine what some of the more vicious trolls would be able to do and say with this sort of firepower. It's already a divisive issue in the community and no doubt this would simply create more adversity. Plus it would be a complete PR nightmare for EA.

Talking of EA, each expansion pack contains some stereotypical or slapstick humour, how would they deal with that without offending in a disabilities geared EP? I for one wouldn't find it funny if sims occasionally fell out of a wheelchair or run over someone's foot, that's cringe worthy and embarrassing in real life. I don't see how they could achieve this sensitively.

This. Trolls already have enough fun with fat and old sims.
  • Options
    DivaOfDarknessDivaOfDarkness Posts: 1,097 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think it would be fine if people were given an option to turn it off/on as they please, or limit the amount of Sims with disabilities/disability types.

Too serious of a social issue? I think that's quite strange. Why be scared of implementing that in a game? It's like saying you will not implement a certain ethnic group in a game because it's "too big of an issue". If that's what the guru meant, implementing disabled people in a game - as a counter - would provide a chance for the development of the medical field in the game, and as a bonus, it might stop so many stares disabled people get. Anyhow, that's my two cents on that. I'm for it.

And um.. couldn't they put a paralyzed Sim in a wheelchair, and a sim with a broken leg in such a chair as well? Broken arms would also require a lot of different animations. I think that if they will say "no" to this, we might never get Sims that can have car accidents, broken bones etc. I don't think T-for Teen means T-for soft.

Anyhow, things that are a part of a healthy society, should be included in The Sims society. I would like my game to be more difficult that way, and with an option to turn it off, I think it would be a good thing for everyone.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited May 2013
    kmsim15 wrote:
    I understand that some people want their game to be very realistic, but I am not one of them. I am in a wheelchair, I have Muscular Dystrophy and I find real life difficult enough, I don't want to be reminded of real life all of the time in my game. If they decided to add disabilities, then they should be in an expansion pack, so that it was optional for players to have that in their game.

My mother also had MD and she was happy and content to have me wheel her around when I was a youngster. I sort of resented the fact that I had to be her care giver when I was a teen which caused all kinds of arguments with her and I and in the process we were not very close. What could have been a good relationship became one of hard words and resent. I would not like to have to go through that again. My mother passed at 73, not from MD but from dementia. Anyway I just think that they would have to be very careful with the disabilities in the game, as I work with students with disabilities, and those students are teased and have a hard time everyday with their disabilities, kids can be cruel, but, sometimes they too can be cruel and they do not realize they are cruel. I love you MAdameLee, but, I think that this is a real
    tricky subject and it might just make it so that disabilities are made fun of, like the blind guy not able to see so he does all kinds of weird things and the deaf sim who would not be able to hear someone say they loved him, that is sad, and other disabilities, the players would like to forget for awhile that they have disabilities, and so they play as they do not have them. I am old, I do not play old sims, I play young ones. How would they do Autism? OCD? ADHD? PPD? all those neurological disorders? They would have to make them entertaining, and that would make them silly and a mockery of what they can accomplish, hence opening up a chance of ridicule. There are children who play this game who have not learned that it is ok to have a disability, and that you are still able to function, just on a slower way, I tell my kids that they are very lucky that they can cope with what they have, it is not an excuse for what they can't do, because I only work with their abilities, and we push that to the highest limits, I remember when I was a child and my mother needed me, she really did not need me as much as she depended on me, she got lazy figuring that I would do it for her, that is where we fought, she wanted more than I could give. I do not want to re-live that with my sims. I work everyday with the students I have in class, I come home and want to play a game not do a serious intervention with my sims. Say that I am against disabilities, would be like saying that I am against all my life work, and all my childhood. There are just some things better left to the imagination and better left out of a game. I like to play with some reality, but, this just will lead to cruelty, and people with disabilities do not need that. Thanks for posting this so nicely above and I see that you have done research and stated the case very well, but, I have to disagree. Love you ML.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited May 2013
    Deaf would not be hard, simply code the sim not to drive, not to react to loud noises ever, and to not make a sound in conversation., Because of the way the game is written, sign language need not be accurate and, sims talk with a lot of physical gestures as it is.

Sorry, but this seems quite offensive to me. Not to drive? Why would a deaf person not be able to drive? Or make sounds? My daughter is deaf and she can talk, and I have no doubts she will be able to drive when she gets older. She is not physically disabled, she just cannot hear.

NO, I don't want disabilities in my game. To the post below me, I do respect that others want it. I am just saying I do not.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited May 2013
    I respect the people who don't want it. But can't you respect those simmers who want the option to be able to play disabled sims? I know Sims shouldn't be 100% real life/and or its not fun to be disabled. I disagree, when its bowling season for me I see a bunch of different disabled people out bowling. Three are deaf, one has a speech problem, and that's on my league alone (and that doesn't included myself), and then there's another league or something which has a person in a wheelchair, a (young) person with a walker and there was a couple of times a person with a service dog

Since even though there might be difficulties even Ray (the Gru who responded to the article) said: disabilities could be included in a EP devoted to health and as long as they handled it carefully.

I know dolls aren't the same thing as the Sims, but I just want to point out something:

I mean Barbie tried to sell a wheelchair back in 1990s-2000 and the 2nd addition completely flew off the shelf. The only problem with the doll is it didn't fit into the door/elevator of Barbie's dream home.(Techinally the doll was the friend who couldn't go where Barbie went)

But there were three different editions (four if you count the long haired Becky doll which hair got stuck in the wheels) of the Becky doll: the Share-a Smile Becky, then there's the Becky who was a "school photographer for Barbie's high school yearbook (and with some books at the time, which had to do with camp and Becky supposedly was a fellow counselor at that camp. Also a CD Rom, which Becky helps a "Detective" Barbie (computer expert). Then in 2000 there was a "Paryalimics Wheelchair Becky"

In March or Feb, there was a "bald Barbie" doll being sold due to a virtual campaign but it was only sold in hospitals despite the Vatican asking for it to be in stores.

And some mom in the U.S. has sold 1,000 orders of Down Syndrome dolls. And has another 1,000 preorders for more.

Also the American Girls dolls have now began to add additions like hearing aids, a wheelchair, a miniature guide dog and an allergy-free lunch for 'accessories' (sorry don't have a better word for it)

I do have articles to back up my claims too. Yes trolls might do that but that's something people have to risk if some simmers who know people with disablties want to be able to make sims. But it also might work the other way around too, it could teach people to be more respectful to disabled people. (I know, I know "Sims isnt' an educational game") but stil it would be the step in a good direction)

But anyway, I ask do people want to see some of my ideas for Service animals related to the topic?

I can see the problems some wheelchair people face sometimes..in Toronto (which I think I already said in an earlier posts. Thanks everyone for having a civil converstation on here)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited May 2013
    :D Personally, I would love it if disabilities and sickness were added to add more realism to the game. It could have a turn off button. When we don't have these, a large part of the population is left out and that goes into all nationalities and religions. It is a common factor that we all share and may someday have as part of our own lives. It is just wierd that sims get old and die. Sims should get sick or something.

I think you should repost this on the Sims 4 forum and ask that it be part of the base game. I think it would be easier for them to add it now, plus I would think that the base game has a large budget. :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @davina some people don't want it to be in the base game, since they want the option to be able to opt out of it and having it in an EP is a better idea that way some people can buy it if they want too or not buy it---

some service animals ideas:

*service dogs (for blind/hearing and also wheelchair)

miniature pony (blind)

service monkey (wheelchair)

disabled children could ride horses

and being able to swim with dolphins (some autistic children to do this)

*related to dogs if a person buys the Health related EP and they also buy the Pets Ep (which would be something like 2-3 EPs later since they would need to incorporate service animals related to the various disablties) a non-disabled sim, could train a service dog

*But in the mean time, a blind person could call a rabbit hole center and asked for a guide sim?

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited May 2013
    yes i hope they do have them as an expansion it would be interesting to see all the new stuff it adds i mean some people always make perfect sims so those people probably wouldn't buy disabilities. but yeh +1 on not getting why it cant be adding i have asperges to and i can think of many ways other things can be added. i can even think of a really fun way natural disasters could be added but yeh people freak out for no reason like they have to buy the EP
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for posting the info MadameLee! Very interesting, and nice to know they are considering this. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So what did some people think of the service animals ideas?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    HolyRoller11HolyRoller11 Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    wow I feel really dumb now , I never once considered it but they actually should incorporate this idea into gameplay somehow. I think that they would just get that many more fans, because they are making it more real and isn't the sims about creating and playing with life? The disablites that people face are just a natural part of life. This is a really good idea and I support it 100%.

I have posted in here that I would like to see it as well. I have Spina-Bifida and I am wheel chair bound as I can not walk. I agree with you that they may very well get more fans and more players if they were able to somehow incoorperate disabilities into the game. Even if it was sicknesses that would make the sim be considered disabled. And I agree that they are making the game more real like as they can have jobs and babies in the game and the same happens with us we can have children and get jobs
  • Options
    MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited May 2013
    wow I feel really dumb now , I never once considered it but they actually should incorporate this idea into gameplay somehow. I think that they would just get that many more fans, because they are making it more real and isn't the sims about creating and playing with life? The disablites that people face are just a natural part of life. This is a really good idea and I support it 100%.

I have posted in here that I would like to see it as well. I have Spina-Bifida and I am wheel chair bound as I can not walk. I agree with you that they may very well get more fans and more players if they were able to somehow incoorperate disabilities into the game. Even if it was sicknesses that would make the sim be considered disabled. And I agree that they are making the game more real like as they can have jobs and babies in the game and the same happens with us we can have children and get jobs
    as long as they balance the realism out with supernatural ^.^ :3 if it was completely realistic i feel i would've given up on it by now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to have witch or a were-wolf (note in some media aka Harry Potter/OUAT-Once Upon a Time being a werewolf is a disablity) or some other occult that was disabled? And that they weren't automatically "cure" because of their occults.

(Maybe like if they were a witch, they could create some kind of able-body potion. and a werewolf if they had the ability to due alchemy like in sims 2, maybe they could have a potion like that Lupin from Harry Potter takes in book 3?)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    KawaiidulceKawaiidulce Posts: 716 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I WISH that disabilities could be incorporated some way into the game... But with how the Sims is designed, I don't see how it can be possible, sadly :( I wish it was something we could have, though, because it would be really nice for people who play the game to gain at least some sense of awareness to disabilities that afflict many people in the world today.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I WISH that disabilities could be incorporated some way into the game... But with how the Sims is designed, I don't see how it can be possible, sadly :( I wish it was something we could have, though, because it would be really nice for people who play the game to gain at least some sense of awareness to disabilities that afflict many people in the world today.

Thank you for that Kawaidulce. That's excatly why some of us want it. So that people don't stare at those who are different.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    maxverra1997maxverra1997 Posts: 1,506
    edited May 2013
    I think it's to late for the sims 3 cause 1 it's ending this year (ep's) and 2 there are already to many interactions to do them all over.
    I think this could be a great option for the sims 4 cause they can startwith it in the base game and expand it with every ep. so they if they add a new social animation they can make 1 for disabled sims and 1 for not disabled sims. I would really like deaf sims or something like that, this going to sound very mean. but I would like to learn how their everyday live is effected by that and the new challenges that those handicaps would give, but in a respecting way for them. I like a challenge in this game
  • Options
    maxverra1997maxverra1997 Posts: 1,506
    edited May 2013
    extra post. my little brother has also a form of autism (for the people that don't know, asperger is a form of autism), my brother has heavy classic autism, so he is really aggressive and can demolish his room cause he can't find something. I had a friend at elementary that has Asperger, I know how hard it was for him so socialize and try to fit in and how he tried to understand peoples point of view. I always admire the passion that those people can have for certain subjects.
  • Options
    TyressaTyressa Posts: 127 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't think the EP would be a very good idea, although some people want realism we have to face the facts that the sims isn't realistic. I understand that people can make their game realistic but that's up to them and it seems quite hard.
    Anyway I think things could get out of control, like someone said (Who I've forgotten the name of, sorry!) trolls could be really really harsh with it and for some people this is their reality and they want to get away from that and want to have fun playing sims, its about getting their mind off things (from what I've gartered).
    Also I don't think it would be right if you could go in CAS and just "add" a disability to someone...
    Interesting topic to bring up though!

Edit: I made a few errors :oops:
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited May 2013
    As long as its optional, then everyone would be happy. It's best suited for an EP, in my opinion. I really like your service animals idea too. :)

I'd buy the EP!
  • Options
    wrecktangularwrecktangular Posts: 185 New Member
    edited May 2013
    this is funny, i was having a conversation with my other half about the lack of "differently-abled" sims just a few weeks ago. we pretty much concluded that most disabilities would be tricky to portray without offense to someone. but what we did agree was that temporary disability would be a cool addition (eg. broken bones)
    both of us as kids broke various bones (my arm in a horse riding accident, and he his collar bone) it is very normal that people brake or fracture (or similar) parts of their bodies that require them to then rest (or simply get out of school for a while *wink*)

these kinds of things can affect anyone of any ability and as such cant necessarily cause offense. plus, as they would be temporary, very little would need to change in their lifestyles or homes as in reality. of course, i wouldnt expect every sim to have to go through this, so it should be a fairly low chance or only as a risk factor from certain activities (sports etc)

there, of course, in theory, should be all types of people covered in the sims (technically) as it is, i suppose, a "reality simulation" game.. but it is a game.. and as others have said, the weightiness of real life trauma and struggle would some how not really mesh up with the sims as we know it.

certain aspects of real life are thankfully out of bounds in the sims, (as they should be) and i think it would be far too easy for things to get crazy in terms of disability prejudice and hate. i agree in principle that very obvious types of differences could be handled more easily (for example a wheelchair, or a walking frame/stick not limited to elders) but more complex disabilities are a minefield.

for sure no two people with the same disability will have the same problems and lives.
    it could easily turn into a gigantic game in order to cover all aspects of any one type of issue.

and lets not even mention things like mental health, long-term/terminal illnesses and the impact of carers, friends and the community (for better or worse)

in closing, i would love to see the odd broken arm or leg, but beyond that i think is too far. no offense to anyone who feels like i'm shunning their problems, but really, it is a game, and needs only to hint at reality, not fully reflect it in all its horrific glory.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think it's to late for the sims 3 cause 1 it's ending this year (ep's) and 2 there are already to many interactions to do them all over.
    I think this could be a great option for the sims 4 cause they can startwith it in the base game and expand it with every ep. so they if they add a new social animation they can make 1 for disabled sims and 1 for not disabled sims. I would really like deaf sims or something like that, this going to sound very mean. but I would like to learn how their everyday live is effected by that and the new challenges that those handicaps would give, but in a respecting way for them. I like a challenge in this game

Actually this has nothing to do with Sims 3 or Sims 4. Its because of the answers a technically the whole thread started in the GD because of the answers I got from a gru(look at my OP).

Having disablties be in the base game=bad idea since what about the disabled people who don't want it in their game at all? That way if differently-abed sims were in a EP, that way people who want it can buy it and those who don't want it don't have to buy it and so aren't "forced to remember what they want to escape from"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Valandis wrote:
    As long as its optional, then everyone would be happy. It's best suited for an EP, in my opinion. I really like your service animals idea too. :)

I'd buy the EP!

Thanks!
    6adMCGP.gif