Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lupus Awareness Month Lottery **WINNERS ANNOUNCED COME CLAIM PRIZES**

Comments

• Options
    ritzbitritzbit Posts: 429
    edited May 2013
    Feel free to copy and paste :)

Updated here.
  • Options
    Astronut1984Astronut1984 Posts: 114 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm so sorry to hear about your health troubles ritzbit. I hope that treatments are helping to allleviate some of the symptoms.

Username: Astronut1984

Nomination: myself - http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Astronut1984

Lupus Fact: Lupus is often triggered in people where there is family history of lupus and/or other immune system illnesses such as arthritis, MS and rheumatism.

Lupus worldwide is more prevalent than leukaemia, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis.

Astro
  • Options
    BethyAnn93BethyAnn93 Posts: 265 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: BethyAnn93
    Nomination (yourself/friend): http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=BethyAnn93
    Lupus fact:
    The most common type of lupus is systemic lupus erythematosus.

One of my friends has lupus. She was one of the luckier ones as it didn't affect any of her important organs like her heart or kidneys.
  • Options
    Rdl9268Rdl9268 Posts: 226 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have lupus too. My list is lupus, type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis. Not sure if this documented fact or not, but symptoms don't always show up on the outside. I was diagnosed because my ANA blood test was off. Thanks for doing this to boost awareness! I'd like to nominate myself.

Have great day!!! HUGS:)
    rdl2.jpg
  • Options
    mayraymayray Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited May 2013
    Rdl9268 I didn't not know that about Lupus. Glad to hear the doctors caught your Lupus!
    Take care sugar
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    jwghostjwghost Posts: 2,260 Member
    edited May 2013
    it's very good to know that you can live well with Lupus if doing the treatments. I first heard of Lupus when Lady Gaga was diagnosed with it. but I was reading this thread and the pictures you posted Ritzbit I learned many details that I didn't know.

Username: jwghost
    Nomination (yourself/friend): http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=jwghost
    Lupus fact:
    。 Lupus affects 40-150 per 100,000 people.
    。 A large number of new drugs have emerged, rising hopes for the most difficult cases.
    。 The treatment has a major impact on survival and quality of life of patients.
    。 Requires monitoring by rheumatologist.
    。 It is 10 times more common in women, and also reaches more certain ethnic groups, such as Blacks and Asians.
    。 Lupus is a rare disease.

I wish all the best luck in the world to you sweetie, thanks for being so strong!

thank you for hosting! =)
  • Options
    DayshatwDayshatw Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: dayshatw
    Nomination (yourself/friend): myself
    Lupus fact: Because of a longer burden of disease and exposure to medications, children with pediatric lupus are more likely to experience long-term complications of lupus, such as arthrosclerosis and osteoporosis.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to learn a little bit about lupus :)

I thought I would throw in a fact:

*Our research estimates that at least 1.5 million Americans have lupus. The actual number may be higher; however, there have been no large-scale studies to show the actual number of people in the U.S. living with lupus.
    *It is believed that 5 million people throughout the world have a form of lupus.
    *Lupus strikes mostly women of childbearing age (15-44). However, men, children, and teenagers develop lupus, too.

I will update to here in a moment :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Giving this a little bump so others will see it :) today is Put on Purple Day for lupus awareness! Me and my aunt have purple on today, and she was having a yard sale so everyone there saw our lupus shirts :D
  • Options
    SALTPASTILLENSALTPASTILLEN Posts: 2,639 Member
    edited May 2013
    Such a great idea to raise awareness and hold a lottery at the same time.

Username: SALTPASTILLEN

Nomination: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=SALTPASTILLEN

Lupus fact (from wikipedia): SLE causes an increased rate of fetal death in utero and spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). The overall live-birth rate in SLE patients has been estimated to be 72%.Pregnancy outcome appears to be worse in SLE patients whose disease flares up during pregnancy :cry:

This is so sad.
    d3z9696camt4x0dfg.jpg
  • Options
    DangerDangerDangerDanger Posts: 5,327 Member
    edited May 2013
    My cousin was recently diagnosed with Sjorgens (she's 24). I admit I don't know very much about it, other than she has a lot of pain. It's great that you are holding this lottery to bring more awareness to such disorders!

Username: dangerdanger
    Nomination (yourself/friend): Nathalie19740 - http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Nathalie19740
    Lupus fact:
    Celebrities with Lupus -

Toni Braxton
    Louisa May Alcott
    Lady Gaga (non-symptomatic)
    Michael Jackson
    Seal
    Nick Cannon
    Hi. I'm Danger. I like spaceships, Pringles, and cats. I dislike fruits and vegetables, sunlight, and the motion picture Titanic. I do not own a sword, nor do I know how to draw unicorns. As you can see, I don't have much to offer the world.
  • Options
    playerAnita666playerAnita666 Posts: 267 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: playeranita666
    Nomination (yourself/friend): http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Fruffy2000
    Lupus fact:
    While Lupus used to bar you from donating blood that is no longer the case, you can be a blood donor if you clear it with your doctor, and red cross is one of the organisations who accept lupus donors.
  • Options
    SteffstarSteffstar Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm not doing any nominations, but I wanted to let you know that I'm really happy you're doing this. I found out about Lupus several years ago when I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I've been lucky to never get Lupus, but my tests are always "borderline". I had no idea there was a Lupus Awareness Month.
  • Options
    deksydeksy Posts: 144 Member
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for spreading awareness about Lupus.

Username: deksy
    Nomination (yourself/friend): myself
    Lupus fact:
    Every type of lupus is an autoimmune disorder. The body's own immune system mistakenly attacks parts of the body.

Lupus(systemic lupus erythematosus) can affect pretty much any part of the body, primarily heart, brain and kidneys, but also joints, skin, bone marrow, liver, muscles and others. It causes extreme pain and fatigue. If organs are affected, the illness is termed "severe". When organs are not affected, the illness is termed "mild". This can be misleading as the patient can still be in a lot of pain and extremely disabled. A better way to look at it would be organ-involvement or non-organ-involvement.

For reasons not yet understood, 90% of lupus sufferers are women. Disease onset usually occurs between the ages of 20 and 40. However lupus can start outside this age bracket and some men are also affected. Afro-Caribbean people also have a much higher incidence of the disease.

Lupus of any type is a non-contagious disease and cannot be transmitted. It is an autoimmune disease where the body mistakenly produces antibodies to its own tissue. This causes the immune system to attack the patient's own body. These antibodies are harmless to other people. However there is evidence that genetics plays some role in the development of the disease. People with relatives with lupus or with a family history of any type of autoimmune illnesses are more likely to develop the disease.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thank you everyone for learning a little bit about lupus :) Today is actually World Autoimmune Arthritis Day. Lupus is a type of autoimmune arthritis, and its different than Rheumatoid Arthritis which is what most people think of when they think of arthritis and an autoimmune disease.

I will update to hear in a moment :)
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,098 Member
    edited May 2013
    I just have to say that I wish they wouldn't call Lupus or RA arthritis at all. The only thing they have in common is that they can affect your joints. People so often hear arthritis in the name and blow it off as nothing major. Arthritis is caused by wear and tear or old age and is NOT the same. If I hear "oh, I have that in my [joint here]" one more time I will scream. I want to say "Let a car run over you, twice. Then come talk to me about how you feel."
    Sorry. Rant over.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    MeganMillard123MeganMillard123 Posts: 10
    edited May 2013
    Username: MeganMillard123

Nomination: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=MeganMillard123#

Lupus Fact: Lupus is not contagious.
    No single blood test can determine lupus.

Thank you for hosting!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lisamwitt wrote:
    I just have to say that I wish they wouldn't call Lupus or RA arthritis at all. The only thing they have in common is that they can affect your joints. People so often hear arthritis in the name and blow it off as nothing major. Arthritis is caused by wear and tear or old age and is NOT the same. If I hear "oh, I have that in my [joint here]" one more time I will scream. I want to say "Let a car run over you, twice. Then come talk to me about how you feel."
    Sorry. Rant over.

I understand that, but they are arthritis. Just a different kind.

http://iaamovement.org/WAAD.html

Only a few days left for the lottery :) Hope people continue to join in and learn a little bit about lupus.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    6 days left to enter :)
  • Options
    sassyshortiesassyshortie Posts: 58 New Member
    edited May 2013
    First of all I think you are amazing. I live with Spina Bifida so I get some of the Fibromyalgia effects and they are not pretty. I understand how hard it is to live with chronic medical issues and kudos to you to not let it stop you from living life and going to school!

Username: sassyshortie
    Nomination (yourself/friend): Blythelyre
    Lupus fact: As many as 40 percent of all people with lupus, and as many as two-thirds of all children with lupus, will develop kidney complications that require treatment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry that you have health problems too.

There are 4 days left, and I have updated to here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hi guys 24 hours left to enter :) Hope you all are having a great week so far!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hi guys 24 hours left to enter :) Hope you all are having a great week so far!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Winners listed!

1st-SALTPASTILLEN
    2nd-Imeffinawsome92
    3rd-zirina

Let me know what you want, if you don't list something specific in the next day I will go ahead and just gift you something off of your list :)
  • Options
    Astronut1984Astronut1984 Posts: 114 Member
    edited June 2013
    Congratulations to the winners. Thanks for hosting Ritzbit