Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Make Custom Tattoos for TS3

Comments

• Options
    thedevinshowthedevinshow Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    I CANT GET THE DDS PLUGIN TO WORK. ITS DRIVING ME MAD.
    Ok so I extracted it and put it in the right place but it's honeslty just sitting there as a Type: "File". I don't know what to do... -____- What am I doing wrong?!

What do you mean Type:"File"? Are you talking about here?
    gLBd9.png

I don't have any other plug ins; there's already a list of file types. Where did you get the plug in? I would suggest here, if this isn't where you found it. http://registry.gimp.org/node/70 Also, make sure you didn't download the .tar. We want the .zip file. So make sure you have all that. Um...that's all I know how to explain it. It took me a few tries to get it. Make sure that when Gimp is loading that everything is loading properly. There should be words and a green bar flash across the opening screen. You may want to uninstall/reinstall. Your best bet would be to get Gimp from gimp.org. (I'm assuming you already knew that :wink: ) Oh, and thanks for the compliment regarding my skeleton tat. I wanted to make a self sim, and I have that tattoo. :mrgreen:

And MV, while I'm here, I have another question. My tattoos are coming out small and blocky. What size picture do you use for making them? I've played around with different sized pictures, but it seems like they all come out the same.
  • Options
    mvandemvande Posts: 8,587 Member
    edited November 2012
    Sorry for not checking in on this thread guys. :XD:

Anyways....

@Aeridis: The tattoos are actually in .package files so you must have a mods folder set up.

@Shepherdgoth: Yes, I'm so sorry for not having those done yet. D: I just haven't gotten around to them. or any requests. I have been very busy.

@whatever4peace: Looks like thedevinshow helped you. :D

@thedevinshow: Hey there, thank you for helping whatever4peace. :D

Also I use 512 X 512. However the reason for the blockiness(Its not a word, but whatever)may be because you didn't fill in the background black all the way/the colors aren't 100% pure.

-MV
    Someone's Lil' Monster
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Blockiness... I like it, real word or not. :mrgreen: Thanks so much; that makes perfect sense!
  • Options
    ShepherdgothShepherdgoth Posts: 270
    edited November 2012
    It's ok I was just worried I was forgotten.
  • Options
    whatever4peacewhatever4peace Posts: 42
    edited November 2012
    I CANT GET THE DDS PLUGIN TO WORK. ITS DRIVING ME MAD.
    Ok so I extracted it and put it in the right place but it's honeslty just sitting there as a Type: "File". I don't know what to do... -____- What am I doing wrong?!

What do you mean Type:"File"? Are you talking about here?
    gLBd9.png

I don't have any other plug ins; there's already a list of file types. Where did you get the plug in? I would suggest here, if this isn't where you found it. http://registry.gimp.org/node/70 Also, make sure you didn't download the .tar. We want the .zip file. So make sure you have all that. Um...that's all I know how to explain it. It took me a few tries to get it. Make sure that when Gimp is loading that everything is loading properly. There should be words and a green bar flash across the opening screen. You may want to uninstall/reinstall. Your best bet would be to get Gimp from gimp.org. (I'm assuming you already knew that :wink: ) Oh, and thanks for the compliment regarding my skeleton tat. I wanted to make a self sim, and I have that tattoo. :mrgreen:

I would have responded sooner to thank you for everything (and get the instructions to solve my problem) but, alas, the website never actually tells me when I get replied to :roll: Anyway, thank you SO VERY MUCH for your assistance :D Many thank you's. Oh, and will you be releasing that tattoo out of curiosity? No wonder you have that tat irl, it's awesome!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I figured out the blockiness problem, but still can't get the tattoos to show up bigger on the sim. MV, is 512 the required size, or can I make it bigger? Whatever4peace, I'll be releasing it when I figure out the size issue. I have a ton of tats that I want to share!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I figured out the blockiness problem, but still can't get the tattoos to show up bigger on the sim. MV, is 512 the required size, or can I make it bigger? Whatever4peace, I'll be releasing it when I figure out the size issue. I have a ton of tats that I want to share!

I don't think the size of the square is the problem, have you tried going in to the edit section of the tattoo and dragging the size bar up? (Hope that makes sense). However if you want to make it bigger I think you can, but I don't think it will make a difference.

-MV
    Someone's Lil' Monster
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It made sense, and I've tried that. It just started out tiny then got a little bigger, instead of starting out at a normal size. I don't know; I'm trying out a few things. The first one I did turned out fine, they just all kind of sucked after that. Does it matter if the picture you use is PNG or JPEG? I've only been using PNGs, just in case. I'm determined to figure this out.. It's driving me batty! :shock:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It made sense, and I've tried that. It just started out tiny then got a little bigger, instead of starting out at a normal size. I don't know; I'm trying out a few things. The first one I did turned out fine, they just all kind of sucked after that. Does it matter if the picture you use is PNG or JPEG? I've only been using PNGs, just in case. I'm determined to figure this out.. It's driving me batty! :shock:

You have to use .pngs because otherwise the alpha channel won't save. I honestly have no idea what you are doing wrong! Maybe try using a smaller size instead?

-MV
    Someone's Lil' Monster
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Just wanted to thank mvande and everyone who helped me create this. It's not the most FABULOUS tat, but it's certainly what I wanted and what I set out to do! :D
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

It shall be perfect for my legacy! (One of my first generations is actually modeling it ;) )
  • Options
    ShepherdgothShepherdgoth Posts: 270
    edited December 2012
    I give up.
  • Options
    FyireChildeFyireChilde Posts: 1,209 Member
    edited December 2012
    I have an exporting related question, not from the tattoinator but from the game itself.

I made my custom tattoo .package file, a layer of text I wanted to place over one of the standard EA provided images, I have it in my game and it looks great! It edits, it layers, I have it saved in three different custom tattoo configurations...I can't export any of them to the exchange. I've been trying for a little more than three hours.

No matter what I do I get the 'export failed' message when I try to share. I even successfully exported a sim with one of them, deleted the saved configuration, dragged that export immediately over to my downloads folder, opened and installed it in the launcher and saved the tattoo off of them again to see if I could trick it into working...and it still won't upload. How do I get it to upload as a tattoo?
  • Options
    nova44nova44 Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    When you are saving the tattoo from the Tattooinator, are you supposed to save it anywhere in specific?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I'm back! I'm having trouble with some new tats. If I want to turn these, particularly the handprint, into tattoos... how do I do that? I want them to stay black and white. I don't really want them to be colorable when I get them in game. But I'm just not sure what to do :/ any suggestions?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/87482095@N06/
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Woah! I love how I magically come back one or to days after someone posts on my thread. However if you posted something back in December and I didn't answer, I'm really sorry. :/

@whatever4peace: Welcome back. I'm back for a day or two as well. Anyways what you can do is only set one channel so say a red one and disregard the blue and the green channel. Ok, so in the tattoinator you can just set the color of that section to black. Then make sure the enabled box is NOT checked. That means that people won't be able to change the color of the tattoo in CAS. I hope that answered your question, but if I misunderstood the question please tell me.

-MV
  • Options
    SIMDESIGNERDUDESIMDESIGNERDUDE Posts: 9
    edited April 2013
    Hi Can you make some in MS Paint and upload them :?: I can create them however do not know how to upload using this technique. And How do you make a custom avatar for these forums :?:

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    JodieRivetJodieRivet Posts: 4 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I cannot download these files at all. I've tried. I have a graphic I want as a tattoo so badly. It's the double bow/arrow from Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @SIMDESIGNERDUDE: I'm sorry its been so long hun! If you still need help just post again and I will see if I can help you. :3 I took a long break from the sims to finish my studies up this year.

@JodieRivet: Do you have an anti-virus program? Have you downloaded win-rar?

-MV
    Always a Little Monster
  • Options
    BethesselBethessel Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Hey, thanks so much for the tutorial! Unfortunately I keep getting lost at step six. How can you paste something that is totally unedited over top and still keep it the same size? I'm having trouble with that because I re-sized my image. Also, how do you know if you're pasting right above it if you can't see your image because of the white mask? :?
  • Options
    SIMDESIGNERDUDESIMDESIGNERDUDE Posts: 9
    edited July 2013
    Hello Thanks for replying as you can see I figured out how to make an avatar myself. but I was wondering if you can make a tattoo in MS Paint and upload them to the exchange? I was wondering and thought it should be possible but then there is that tattoo mod also. is there anyway to not have to use that? just curious. thanks
  • Options
    LmasonoffLmasonoff Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Hi, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've downloaded and redownloaded Gimp and the plugin multiple times and I still can't save an image as .dds. I made sure I had the zip file and not the tar and put it into the plugin folder but still nothing.

Also, I don't have the lib folder I keep reading about. I thought that may be what is wrong but every time I download Gimp it never comes with that folder. Not sure if this is something you can help with or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance! :D
  • Options
    mimz_8mimz_8 Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    I tried really hard to do this myself, but I've been messing with this for 2+ hours. The dds plugin is not working. I just want a bow (you know a ribbon) tattoo. Help! :(
  • Options
    LittleSackGuyLittleSackGuy Posts: 4 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Coheed_and_Cambria_by_Abatrasau.jpg

coheed-and-cambria-2.jpg

I'm trying to make a tattoo from both of these, only big enough for a forearm, however, I can't get that dds plugin to work, I use gimp to make my sprites for my rpg maker games, so I know how to work it, However I'm new to the sims 3. Would anyone be able to make 2 quick tattoos for the forearm out of these? They are black and white so i assume its rather easy.

I just want the dragonfly in the second one, not the band logo.
  • Options
    alanna_zelenalanna_zelen Posts: 99 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Hey, I've been following your guide using GIMP (used it for like 4 years now) but I'm hung with the filesaving. GIMP 2.8 doesn't know what the dds file format is. I've used the dropdowns to hunt it, after checking both the Save As and Export File options. I've currently got it saved as a GIMP project so I won't loose any progress (man using free select to cut items hurts. So few people use strictly one colour backgrounds).

Is it due to my gimp version being newer then the one you've used in the guide, or is it now pigeonholed under a different name? I'm happy to give you the file if you can finish making it work.

Thanks

Oops,didn't see the plugin. I usually don't have to modify GIMP barring brushes... makes me kinda grumpy I am doing this on windows. Its easier to install with ubuntu, believe me.

Haha, didn't set the file up right. I'm getting a black background in the tool. Going to try a few things to see what'll fix that up... Stripping my progress back to square one. It makes more sense going through the steps twice actually. You know the second time round what doesn't look right.

(attempt no 3) Hey mvande, I think either something in the guide is wrong or I'm just silly. It shows up exactly as it should in the last step, but for some reason the transparency isn't being retained... And of course I have the alpha channel on. Never use GIMP without it. Is it possible you've left out a step?

Here's the image as a .png if anyone wants to have a go at making it able to be coloured, or even just black. Dragon Tribal. Sorry about hosting it on google drive.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    kixleartkixleart Posts: 13
    edited September 2013
    hello,
    i've been having trouble making a tattoo. i spent awhile making the background transparent in gimp, but when i open the .dds file in tattooinator, the preview is just a black shape.