Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't enter trapped basement?

I have this challenge to disarm traps in someones basement. The guy is never at home, so I figured I was supposed to go down via the stairs in the garden.
The only problem is, I can't get there. Can't click ont he stairs or the tile at the top or the tile at the bottom of the stairs...

Has anyone else been able to do this challenge? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsDarkFairyDevilsDarkFairy Posts: 71 New Member
    edited November 2009
    your not the only one thats having trouble, asking on here as well, if I find out how to do it I'll pass it on
  • Options
    Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited November 2009
    I am having the same problem. I think it is a bug. You clearly have to be invited into the house. The only time they are at home is just as you arrive on vacation in the base camp. I have rushed over twice, but they are on their way to work and won't talk to me. From that point on they never return home. Because they are not home they can't invite you in and you can't get to the basement.
  • Options
    DevilsDarkFairyDevilsDarkFairy Posts: 71 New Member
    edited November 2009
    right, it is a bug, I have been able to do the adventure (pretty easy as well), a child is all ways living at the house. Sorry to say that you'll have to start again
  • Options
    MissReena73MissReena73 Posts: 255 Member
    edited November 2009
    Actually, you don't have to be invited in. Once you get this as an adventure, click on the person's house. You should see an option to "Sneak In" I have done it a couple of times now (ran out of energy the first time I tried it. It is also really funny to watch your sim "sneak" around.

DevilsDarkFairy - you have encountered a child living at that house? That is really interesting. I have never seen anyone there at all. I wonder if some of the things are different for different people?
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited November 2009
    I don't get any option to sneak in - just the greyed-out option to 'visit' - which stays greyed out, because there's nobody there to visit.

I've never seen a child there either...

• Options
    edited November 2009
    KarinL, that's my experiance exactly. There is another quest (the old library) where you have an optiion to sneak in, but not this quest.
  • Options
    MurfMurf Posts: 369 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Try just before midnight. A woman was home when I was there. I'm not sure who she is but she lives there. She even went down into the tomb after a while.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok, but I spent one night camped out in a tent outside the house and no one showed up.
  • Options
    ChrisOldfieldChrisOldfield Posts: 140 Member
    edited November 2009
    According to the guide, sneaking is a reward for the criminal -thief career. You can sneak in to any house uninvited if you have or have had a high enough level in the criminal -thief track. Otherwise it is impossible, and therefore you cannot his enter house. Since he is never home, he can't invite you in, so it is an impossible task. But I believe being a thief would help cirumvent this poblem and make it possible.
  • Options
    MissReena73MissReena73 Posts: 255 Member
    edited November 2009
    According to the guide, sneaking is a reward for the criminal -thief career. You can sneak in to any house uninvited if you have or have had a high enough level in the criminal -thief track. Otherwise it is impossible, and therefore you cannot his enter house. Since he is never home, he can't invite you in, so it is an impossible task. But I believe being a thief would help cirumvent this poblem and make it possible.

My sim is actually unemployed, and never was a theif. The only time I ever actually got the "sneak in" option was when I was playing this particular adventure. Since then, I have not been able to do it with any other house. I just assumed that it would let you sneak in because of the adventure.

And as a side note, I never got the "Visit" option. When I clicked on the house, all I got was the Ring Bell or Sneak In option. It almost seems like no one is actually supposed to live in the house. I only ever get the "Ring Bell" option when it is an empty house I am visiting.

I am expecting my game guide to show up either today or tomorrow. If it gives any more updates, I will let you know.
  • Options
    MissVeraMissVera Posts: 449 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I am on this adventure now.

I also had the sneak in option, since they weren't home, and no i'm not a master thief. So i disabled the first trap to get into the tomb, thinking that would be in for the task, and that exploring the rest of it would be the next task.... but it wasn't complete. So i ventured forth until i got to the point with the red floor tiles, which i place my tent on and took a nap. I then got zapped as i went to put it back in my inventory... Now... my problem is, i can't figure out how to disabled this last few electrical traps since there's nothing to push onto them.

Anyone figured out how to disabled these last few traps? I'm assuming that's what i need to do to complete that mission.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok i figured it out, i went back to rest and try again... Again, had the option to sneak in when i clicked the opportunity icon in the town view...

The electrical traps aren't on every tile, so you a zig zag around them and get to the treasure chest on the other side, and then the "report in" button appears and voila!

So for those of you who can't get in, try the town view icon.
  • Options
    CutiebeccaCutiebecca Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    I'm hoping since you all are talking about this adventure some of you are having more luck!

I have not had any problems with no one being home, and I can be invited inside the residence without issue.

However, I CANNOT figure out how to get through the basement and disarm the traps! I told him to inspect the hole in the wall in the first room and it turned off the various fire floor traps encircling the door to the next room. To the right, I was able to disarm the darts wall trap and walk around the fire floor trap to obtain the star shaped keystone. I grabbed a money bag on the way out of the small room. When I try to insert the keystone in the wall, he always gets stuck on the steam floor trap and won't insert the keystone. I have tried disarming it, inspecting it, going through it, and jumping in it. There are no statues that I am able to push to disarm the various traps on the floor.

Can someone please help me and tell me how to get through this basement? I am already on my third vacation to Egypt trying to figure it out. My Sim has level 8 logic and level 8 handiness, and the handy attribute. Do I need the athletic skill?

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I got soaked to get through the fire traps, and then those traps were eventually disarmed as i inspected the holes in the walls.
  • Options
    CaliforniaCalifornia Posts: 113 New Member
    edited November 2009
    My problem for this adventure is that I first started the quest with "family A" and only got to the first part with the dive well because I forgot the keystone at home. Not finishing the adventure with "family A", I started a new "Family B" in the same neighborhood and tried to do the quest but the keystone wasn't there. Could this be a glitch because the first time i did the adventure i didn't finish? could it not have made the keystone reset itself?
  • Options
    sawilson678sawilson678 Posts: 3
    edited January 2010
    Did anyone find an actual answer for this? I am having the same issue. Every time I try and enter he is leaving for work and never returns home. This is a glitch or bug and I wish that they'd figure out a way to input a patch or something on the upgrades for the game because there are way too many bugs and there shouldn't be so many problems. It's aggrivating. But if any one who is having this problem figures it out please post.
  • Options
    SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited January 2010
    The solution to the owner working should be obvious. Move somebody else into the house, so there's somebody home to let you in.
  • Options
    leisawessaleisawessa Posts: 11 New Member
    edited February 2010
    This was a bit hard at first so I cheated. I teleported my sim around the fires to where the BOULDER/RUBBLE was... there was the key I needed (and some treasure). I teleported my sim out of there and just disabled the other traps to the door I needed with new key inhand. I got thru them (thanks for the Zig Zag tip). Once I entered the room with the last treasure box all traps were disabled.
  • Options
    pikeman101pikeman101 Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2012
    What I do when a sim is never home is "testingcheatsenabled true," then "Buy on lot," copy the merchant's register, and make another one. THen, delete the first register. The NPC is now unemployed! (Oh, well. Not my problem!)
  • Options
    AlissaCostanzoAlissaCostanzo Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Hey I figured it out! (By cheating)

First do the cheat by going ctrl + shift + c and type in testingcheatsenabled true. Then go to the merchants house and open the cheat bar again (ctrl + shift + c) and type resetsim (Merchants Name). In my case it was resetsim Shadia Rashid. Press enter and she will appear inside her house. Wait until she invites you in and then trap her in the house.

You can do this by holding shift and clicking the floor of her house and pressing "build on this lot". You will be able to place walls around the sim and they will stay until you finish.

Hope that helped :)
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited May 2013
    I got tired of there being no one at home so I made myself a special sim dressed in Egyptian clothes and move her in so there is someone at home whenever I want to get in.

I did have a sim sneak in once but I hardly ever have a sim that can do it.
  • Options
    dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited May 2013
    There are actually a couple of ways to deal with this (without mods) that won't break your game.

1. Take your sim to the lot. Then use the resetSim cheat on the member of the household. Cue up an interaction with the sim--like Ask to Go Inside--and he just might stick around. That would cause the game to assign another NPC.

2. Leave the country and come back again. The NPCs are reassigned every time you return home.

To prevent the problem in future games: as soon as you enter the location, check to see who the NPCs are. The families always live on the same lots and the adventures are linked specifically to those lots. In France, the family/home that is used belongs to the Dutiels. I can't remember the name of the family in Egypt--maybe the Kamels? Pretty sure there isn't a residential lot needed for China.
  • Options
    FtRaptureFtRapture Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    This is the first time Ive ever gotten this task, and Ive been playing since Adventures was released. Maybe mine just has a glitch but I went to the home, was invited in and I could use the stairs however no matter what I click on, it only says Use Stairs .. I can see the hole in the wall, and I can see the fire traps but it wont let me do anything. Does this sound like a glitch to anyone else? or am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to get past it if it is a glitch?
  • Options
    verdaeniverdaeni Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2013
    Cutiebecca wrote:
    I'm hoping since you all are talking about this adventure some of you are having more luck!

I have not had any problems with no one being home, and I can be invited inside the residence without issue.

However, I CANNOT figure out how to get through the basement and disarm the traps! I told him to inspect the hole in the wall in the first room and it turned off the various fire floor traps encircling the door to the next room. To the right, I was able to disarm the darts wall trap and walk around the fire floor trap to obtain the star shaped keystone. I grabbed a money bag on the way out of the small room. When I try to insert the keystone in the wall, he always gets stuck on the steam floor trap and won't insert the keystone. I have tried disarming it, inspecting it, going through it, and jumping in it. There are no statues that I am able to push to disarm the various traps on the floor.

Can someone please help me and tell me how to get through this basement? I am already on my third vacation to Egypt trying to figure it out. My Sim has level 8 logic and level 8 handiness, and the handy attribute. Do I need the athletic skill?

Thank you!

I think steam traps can be disarmed, its the electricity thats hopeless. If you get totally frustrated you can use the buydebug to get a pushable statue after using the command to build on this lot... shift control, which incidentally allows you to teleport as well. soaking might let you sneak past it. I dont think you need athletic skill but after enough disarms you get better at it.

V
  • Options
    verdaeniverdaeni Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2013
    Bronwin2 wrote:
    I am having the same problem. I think it is a bug. You clearly have to be invited into the house. The only time they are at home is just as you arrive on vacation in the base camp. I have rushed over twice, but they are on their way to work and won't talk to me. From that point on they never return home. Because they are not home they can't invite you in and you can't get to the basement.

Im going back into the basement now to look at the other problems, but you can get someone there by typing in the commands window

resetsim farouk rashid

this puts any sim named back in their house in a good state. i use it fairly often people get stuck on this bridge and sit there yelling. it might work against zombies too. hm, i wonder if i used it against a mummy?

V