Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Possibly a closed world.

Just perusing through the forums and I notice a few phrases that keep popping up.

"Going back to the roots of the sims" ~meaning, more like 1 and 2, yes?

"More focus on the sims themselves"

Which leads me to believe we'll be back to a closed-world. Which I don't particularly care for, I'd be more pleased with an open world, but it wouldn't stop me from buying it. It didnt bother me in TS1 and TS2 :lol:

Comments

• Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2013
    They would be shooting the series in the foot if they did that. Why would they possibly want to take the game backwards?
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,787 Member
    edited May 2013
    Those posts aren't talkiung about a closed world. and beside it would be dumm on Ea's part to go backwards.

What they are talking about is the humor/life of the first two games

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    JacobRuehlmanJacobRuehlman Posts: 495 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't necessarily believe they will go back to a closed world... but you know just as much as I do! lol

My favorite part about The Sims 3 was the open world... one of the only things I did like about the game actually :roll:
  • Options
    Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited May 2013
    Don't think so. Sims was always pushing towards open world, even in TS1 and TS2, it just wasn't technically possible at the time.

In TS1, we went from living alone to being able to visit other worlds and lots. In TS2, we started out alone, and later on got ability to view other houses in neighborhood and eventually in Apartment Life live with other people, which all resulted in open world concept.

So I don't think it'll go away ;)
  • Options
    ShelbieeSavageShelbieeSavage Posts: 334 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Just speculation. I thought the combination of those phrases made it seem so.

Anyway. haha. :lol:
  • Options
    DangerDangerDangerDanger Posts: 5,327 Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't buy it if they did. That's the main reason I haven't been able to get back into the Sims 2 after Sims 3 was released.

Though I do miss the Build a City Challenge.

I just can't imagine having to go back and play each household in rotation to get them the same age again. *shudders*
    Hi. I'm Danger. I like spaceships, Pringles, and cats. I dislike fruits and vegetables, sunlight, and the motion picture Titanic. I do not own a sword, nor do I know how to draw unicorns. As you can see, I don't have much to offer the world.
  • Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited May 2013
    By those phrases most people are saying that they want the interactions and activites to go back to the roots. Like those in the previous games.

I'd be pretty dissapointed if there was a closed world.

P.s. your little rainbow llama thing really creeps me, out. lol ;)
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited May 2013
    closed world? why would those things mean that?
    going back to roots, i assume, would mean more interactions. making the sims more complex. focusing on the sims themselves. not taking away all the new stuff -.-
  • Options
    UtopiaUtopia Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2013
    Daniblee wrote:
    By those phrases most people are saying that they want the interactions and activites to go back to the roots. Like those in the previous games.

That's a Llama? I thought it was a slug creature with teeth LOL.

I hope it's not going to be a closed world, it's one of the few things I really like about Sims 3.
    Mysticalmaid
    <3 Tweet me @samwitts2 <3
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2013
    If it's an open world, expect the expansions to have the same "play and move on" mindset of TS3. You can't really expand an open world.

At the same time, going back to a one lot view would be too far.

Ideally, I'd like to see a closed world made of open towns/neighbourhoods.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    Taranatar9 wrote:
    If it's an open world, expect the expansions to have the same "play and move on" mindset of TS3. You can't really expand an open world.

At the same time, going back to a one lot view would be too far.

Ideally, I'd like to see a closed world made of open towns/neighbourhoods.

I agree with this^

Taranatar9,
    I'm not sure what you mean and wish you would explain it. But I am sure if they continue the 'open world' then it would just be TS3.2.

And that is not how they do things (in the past), a new game means a new game and may mean nothing at all like TS3..which I hope is true.

Because if the focus is on the open world then it's not on the Sim.
    And we see how well gameplay turned out in TS3 due to the limitations of the open world. Which some may not understand the open world is the problem. People aren't really seeing other Sims do anything next door but get into their cars and go to work. If they have a job. SP is horrible in TS3, and I bet those that love it don't play the game without the SP mod installed. So, they aren't really playing TS3's open world and SP they are playing a modder's version of TS3.

ETA: Could the person with the llama siggy please add ears to the llama? they do have ears. I thought it was some kind of worm. And the motion is a little bit like looking at the sea rising and causing sea sickness to some of us.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited May 2013
    going back to a closed world would mean loading screens, no thanks, possibly EA means the quirkyness and funny animations from the sims 1 and 2 and some from sims 3, all combined into sims4, going back the roots doesn't mean closed worlds, it means sims will have more characteristics/animations/more personality within themselves, just like in TS1 and 2, this is my opinion :)
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2013
    If it's a choice between an open world and more detail up close, I would go for the detail every time.

I honestly couldn't care less about a dynamic town or what's going on on the other side of a neighborhood. I play my Sims up close and I'd prefer better graphics and more interactions/animations instead of watching them run around an open world.

All games have loading screens. They may have tricked you into believing you don't in TS3, but you still spend just as much time waiting as you did in TS2.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited May 2013
    Utopia wrote:
    Daniblee wrote:

That's a Llama? I thought it was a slug creature with teeth LOL.

I hope it's not going to be a closed world, it's one of the few things I really like about Sims 3.

Llama? Here all this time I thought it was a Shmoo

250px-Lifeshmoo.jpg

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2013
    If it's a choice between an open world and more detail up close, I would go for the detail every time.

I honestly couldn't care less about a dynamic town or what's going on on the other side of a neighborhood. I play my Sims up close and I'd prefer better graphics and more interactions/animations instead of watching them run around an open world.

All games have loading screens. They may have tricked you into believing you don't in TS3, but you still spend just as much time waiting as you did in TS2.
    I don't. It takes no more than 5 minutes to start up my game and load a save, including waiting for the launcher. I wait for longer than that in one Sim day just going to my Sim's OFB business and back.

I don't think they'll need to take out loads of detail to keep the open neighbourhood. It was a completely new thing for Sims when TS3 came out. But technology has advanced since then, the open neighbourhood has become second nature and they can bring back the detail now.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't buy it if they did. That's the main reason I haven't been able to get back into the Sims 2 after Sims 3 was released.

Though I do miss the Build a City Challenge.

I just can't imagine having to go back and play each household in rotation to get them the same age again. *shudders*

This is exactly what I think :thumbup: :thumbup: (well, except the city challenge part :P )