Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Careers/School Ideas?

I had an idea for careers in Sims 4 and wanted my fellow player's opinion on it. Because I hate Rabbit holes, and want a true open world, and so this is my take on how it could be done!

For me, I often play a family unit, which is usually 2-7 Sims at a time. For me, I think that that many Career's/School time would be super hectic if I was to control every aspect of it (I'm not that good of a multi-tasker!) So what I propose is this:

Each Career is viewable

What I meant by this is that if you like, you can go and see what your Sim is doing at anytime, they would be visible through out the day.

Base Job:

Like above you could see them doing this work, but this would be them working on a computer or working on their specific job, like say cooking or sitting in class. It would not be that involved, so that you can focus on other Sims without worrying your Sim is going to kill themselves or mess up and get fired. You can set this for all and just sort of let them do what work they can. This can be set in a menu similar to the Sims 3 now. It could even have a sort of average effect on work performance too.

Opportunities/Other:

So there would be the base job, and their there would be "projects." These would be things like socializing with co-workers (perhaps under the eye of watchful bosses) or meetings that they can participate in, which they could make a speech in, (Nerve-wracking) asking for a promotion or cooking for an extremely important person, recording a demo, etc. This would have a large impact on their job as well.

I think this is a good idea, as monitoring everyone's jobs/School would be tiring, but the opportunity to do extra activities would be a little more easier. Comments or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Agreed! I'd love to see what my sims are doing, but I don't want to completely control them at work or school because that'd be pretty chaotic. Bouncing back and forth from one lot to another trying to keep one from cheating on her husband or a child from doing something stupid.. Eh.

Definitely like all your ideas. :)
  • Options
    SeanT346SeanT346 Posts: 307 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't want any rabbitholes in The Sims 4 and I want to be completely involved in my Sims' lives at all times if I wish so I hope all career and school buildings are left open.

That said, however, it can sometimes be daunting controlling every Sim in their household at all of their jobs/classes so I like the idea of being given a schedule menu where you could make your Sims do things at certain points. For example, 9AM you can choose the option of "Business As Usual", 10AM "Use Restroom", 11AM "Suck Up to Boss", 1PM "Eat Lunch", 2PM "Converse With Co-Workers", 3PM "Take It Easy", 4PM "Work Hard" etc. When you define a schedule for your Sim, your Sims will autonomously follow that schedule unless you decide to cancel it anytime and take control of that Sim yourself.
  • Options
    JacobRuehlmanJacobRuehlman Posts: 495 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Daniblee wrote:
    Agreed! I'd love to see what my sims are doing, but I don't want to completely control them at work or school because that'd be pretty chaotic. Bouncing back and forth from one lot to another trying to keep one from cheating on her husband or a child from doing something stupid.. Eh.

Definitely like all your ideas. :)

Yes my thoughts exactly!
    Even though many people are for having rabbit holes at work & school... I honestly would enjoy seeing my sims at their career or in class and have the opportunity of making it a bigger component of my game. :D
  • Options
    VampedVamped Posts: 12 New Member
    edited May 2013
    SeanT346 wrote:
    I don't want any rabbitholes in The Sims 4 and I want to be completely involved in my Sims' lives at all times if I wish so I hope all career and school buildings are left open.

That said, however, it can sometimes be daunting controlling every Sim in their household at all of their jobs/classes so I like the idea of being given a schedule menu where you could make your Sims do things at certain points. For example, 9AM you can choose the option of "Business As Usual", 10AM "Use Restroom", 11AM "Suck Up to Boss", 1PM "Eat Lunch", 2PM "Converse With Co-Workers", 3PM "Take It Easy", 4PM "Work Hard" etc. When you define a schedule for your Sim, your Sims will autonomously follow that schedule unless you decide to cancel it anytime and take control of that Sim yourself.

I do like the idea of the schedule, but I feel it may be a bit more difficult to implement especially if it takes an hour for your Sim to go to the bathroom! :wink: The boss would not be happy I think! I also feel that setting up such a schedule for sims would negate having more fun things to do at work. Just my thoughts.

I want the ability to go into depth with my Sim's career if I want, and I think the base job could be semi-controllable too, (maybe studying, signing paperwork etc. little jobs that need to get don but aren't super important to monitor) but for the most part should be kind of an on their own activity.
  • Options
    xPyrrhaxPyrrha Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'd love to be able to see what's going on in the schools and work places. I hate not being able to see what's going on. LOL.
  • Options
    SeanT346SeanT346 Posts: 307 Member
    edited May 2013
    Vamped wrote:
    I do like the idea of the schedule, but I feel it may be a bit more difficult to implement especially if it takes an hour for your Sim to go to the bathroom! :wink: The boss would not be happy I think! I also feel that setting up such a schedule for sims would negate having more fun things to do at work. Just my thoughts.

I want the ability to go into depth with my Sim's career if I want, and I think the base job could be semi-controllable too, (maybe studying, signing paperwork etc. little jobs that need to get don but aren't super important to monitor) but for the most part should be kind of an on their own activity.

But the schedule would be optional and be cancelled at any time so you can take control of your Sim at work if you want to. And hopefully, AI and timing will improved so our Sims no longer spend 1 hour at the toilet.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I Don't know if the idea of a schedule was what I was going for, but maybe it could be implemented. It wasn't what I was personally aiming for, but I think it's a possibility anyway.
  • Options
    xenoviewxenoview Posts: 336 Member
    edited May 2013
    I like the idea of checking on my Sims at work or school. Seeing what their doing. But don't like the idea of having to control all of them at once, doing work and school. You would have no time to play, to busy pausing and selecting actions for them to do. I'd like to see an autopilot mode for the Sims, it would let you control one Sim and the rest on autopilot. The Sims on autopilot would take care of needs before it would be red lining, somewhere in the 50 - 75% of needing attention.
  • Options
    messie09messie09 Posts: 23
    edited May 2013
    I do agree on keeping the schools, workplaces open. As it gives an insight on what's going on.
    I would love to run a business like in The Sims 2.
    But I also want it not be hectic too. There needs to be balance.
  • Options
    itchyeye021itchyeye021 Posts: 17 Member
    edited May 2013
    It would be difficult to interact with more than 2 adults if I had to participate in their work activity. I like the option in TS3 when I'm given the option to let my sim leave their jobsite to perform different tasks.
  • Options
    TashaTasha Posts: 190 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I would like to be able to set uniforms for all schools (or select no uniform) by clicking on the school. I would like separate private school buildings where your sims pay school fees or can apply for scholarships based on skills/an exam.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited May 2013
    If they do implement an option for watching/controlling sims in the school/work environment, then I want an option to leave mine closed, stay a Rabbit Hole. I don't need to see all that, I have other things to check out in the town or spend time on some other sim in the household while they are home. :)

What I would like is if there will be higher learning, let sims attend college part-time in the home world and have different stages of degrees. Instead of learning a skill, make it a technical certificate that requires 2 days of attending or if the sim aquires a bachelors degree, then allow them to study for a masters and above. I really hate how easy sims can become a doctor, CEO, scientist, etc without a proper education. This should start in the base game, but that is an opinion.

I want child/teen geniuses to qualify while in grammar/high school allow higher learning training while attending regular school. The qualifications should be stringent, no more easy, free rides. It should cost money too.

I really miss schmoozing with the headmaster of the private school to get children in there. I want it back but with a little revamp. If celebrities come back and your sim is a high level one with lots of money, have them donate to the school so the parents can get their kids in the school, or the town's lover sim use their charms to get their kids in the private school. Again this should cost money, no more free, easy rides. ;)

That's all for now.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I really miss the headmaster and private school too! I would like it in world though, not that the kid is sent away as in sims 3 Gen.
  • Options
    Princess_Jess081Princess_Jess081 Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I really want to see them at work, if your the boss you can do what you want but the best thing was to see kids at school and you can like get up and ask to go get a drink/toilet and do work and put your hands up and all that. :wink:
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,390 Member
    edited November 2013
    I really don't want EA to open up the schools and the workplaces for us to watch our sims. I fast forward my game when I send them to college as I don't want to see them in class unless they have to speak to the class or do a presentation. I have other important things I want to watch, and watching them in school and work is not one when everyone in my household works or goes to school. I send the husband off to work while the wife stays home and be a housewife.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited November 2013
    Please check my idea for Rabithole versus Open venues here :

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/15/9760421.page

This basically states an open lot with a rabithole inside like in SimsMedieval as stated in this picture so it can handle both gameplay styles >

http://vexacuz.deviantart.com/art/Inside-Tavern-408933140
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    TheHellerSweetieTheHellerSweetie Posts: 463 Member
    edited November 2013
    I like your idea very much :thumbup:

Thing is, I don't want to have to select every single action the Sim has to do at work or school; they should, like, be an NPC sort of until work/school is over (?) or have the actions of the Sim be automatic and if they need something or have to go somewhere, then you can control them.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited November 2013
    I like your idea very much :thumbup:

Thing is, I don't want to have to select every single action the Sim has to do at work or school; they should, like, be an NPC sort of until work/school is over (?) or have the actions of the Sim be automatic and if they need something or have to go somewhere, then you can control them.

The sims would work on rabithole in automatic, but when you take them off out of the rabithole room when you want to,but directs them to some activity on the "open area" of the work place,it also counts on the job progress bar instead of counting as not working, more or less how it works in ambitions and Uni Life,but improved.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    TheDivaGirl02TheDivaGirl02 Posts: 142 Member
    edited November 2013
    Modeling Career! :D And a Hair Styling Career. And Jobs for kids also, like babysitting. They get paid like 5 dollars an hour.

School:
    More things for kids. Like At my school, kids get drama club and choir. How about helping out for charity.
  • Options
    NoriRoll9717NoriRoll9717 Posts: 9
    edited December 2013
    School is a HUGE part of my life. Playing with teens is very dull, because they can barely do anything.If they added something like lectures from uni, then I would honestly be satisfied. But you should be able to accept opportunities for group projects, or more stuff like that. you could still say no to the interaction, and pay no attention to them without their performance going down. And also, homework should take shorter to finish, and have more variety... like reading a book and then typing a paper about it before a certain due date.
  • Options
    EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    edited December 2013
    It'd be great if we could see them, but I wouldn't want to control them.. just set how they are working etc.

It's a good idea - though wouldn't this run the PCs like mad?