Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Sims -- What they look like

Comments

• Options
    xerxysxerxys Posts: 33 New Member
    edited May 2013
    For all the people wondering why The Sims can't look more like Heavy Rain... The simulation aspect of this game is incredibly resource hungry, and the more complex and realistic the actions and interactions of our sims become, the greater those needs are. If you stop controlling a character in Heavy Rain, they won't look after themselves... because there is nothing to look after. They have no needs that constantly decay, they don't have relationships that need attention or jobs that need doing, not in the sense that we think of Sims careers and friendships. Heavy Rain is, for all intents and purposes, very pretty puppets dancing to a strictly coded script. With so little background calculations to do on simulation stuff, the developers can pour the resources into more aesthetic areas. Non-simulation games will ALWAYS trump games like The Sims, SimCity, Rollercoaster Tycoon etc etc, because there is very little going on under the hood. Skyrim manages to emulate everyday folks going about their daily business, but these are schedules and clever programming, and the NPCs don't actually do a things because of some environmental or personal factor, but rather because that's all they're meant to do, with a little wiggle-room to make things look organic.

You cannot - CANNOT - expect sims to look like those in games like Heavy Rain. I personally would think it would be amazing, as my play style is fairly realistic and it suits it, but everyone getting hung up on some images from Heavy Rain need to focues their energy elsewhere.
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2013
    xerxys wrote:
    For all the people wondering why The Sims can't look more like Heavy Rain... The simulation aspect of this game is incredibly resource hungry, and the more complex and realistic the actions and interactions of our sims become, the greater those needs are. If you stop controlling a character in Heavy Rain, they won't look after themselves... because there is nothing to look after. They have no needs that constantly decay, they don't have relationships that need attention or jobs that need doing, not in the sense that we think of Sims careers and friendships. Heavy Rain is, for all intents and purposes, very pretty puppets dancing to a strictly coded script. With so little background calculations to do on simulation stuff, the developers can pour the resources into more aesthetic areas. Non-simulation games will ALWAYS trump games like The Sims, SimCity, Rollercoaster Tycoon etc etc, because there is very little going on under the hood. Skyrim manages to emulate everyday folks going about their daily business, but these are schedules and clever programming, and the NPCs don't actually do a things because of some environmental or personal factor, but rather because that's all they're meant to do, with a little wiggle-room to make things look organic.

You cannot - CANNOT - expect sims to look like those in games like Heavy Rain. I personally would think it would be amazing, as my play style is fairly realistic and it suits it, but everyone getting hung up on some images from Heavy Rain need to focues their energy elsewhere.

I don't think most of us expect anything like Heavy Rain (although I would absolutely LOVE it!).

Personally, I just want detailed eyes, faces, skin, and hair as good as the custom content I have in TS2, along with loads of sliders like we got with TS2's Body Shop. That along with better facial animations and body shapes would be perfect for TS4.

It doesn't have to be super realistic like Heavy Rain, but it needs to be less cartoony than TS3 or the "eyes" pic for me to want to play it. I just can't handle the cartooniness. It keeps me from thinking of them as adult people and doesn't work for my playing style at all.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,377 Member
    edited May 2013
    Torii_Lee wrote:
    How many of you that want the realism have a REALLY GOOD graphics card? Food for thought - is realism worth more upgrading? Personally, I want to play the game more than I want to just look at it.

I do! I've got a really good gaming computer, but it is getting a little old now. I think I got it in 2011, so it's due for an update. But even so, some of the games look just fantastic on it.

That thing about the facial animations on those life like characters is a good point. I would rather have the sims a little less real looking to keep their faces from looking like clay trying to move. I have seen some of those real looking games, and their lips barely move and generally, their eyes have no life.

I think if we think about our ts2 Sims and how very cartoony they were, and then think about all the beautiful custom eyes and skins we can put on them, we really shouldn't get too uptight about these sims in 4, as long as Maxis makes them able to be modded.

This game is all about options, since there are so many different types of people with as many different tastes, likes & dislikes. I really hope that Maxis keeps that in mind when they make this game.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    xromanticxshadowxxromanticxshadowx Posts: 458 Member
    edited May 2013
    EatChees wrote:
    Like I'm not asking for Skyrim looking characters or anything. Something like the sims medieval would be nice.

with all the money we put into the sims i would be LOL

I agree with the one poster who said they would like them to look like characters from mideval but better. I honestly think they looked more realistic than the sims from TS3
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2013
    Am I the only one who doesn't really care about how graphics look? :roll:
    I mean, I don't want them terrible. But they're aren't the "Selling" point in games to me. Good game play, is what it's all about :D

You're certainly not the only one.
    raw
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Basically, I don't want to go from this (somewhat cartoony TS2 Sim):

oA2q5GG.png

To this (ultra-cartoony TS4 Sim):

Enx4IqZ.png

I really want something more like this (somewhat realistic TS2 Sims):

HBU74.png

zndbdTQ.png

pDRhADw.png

With better animations, body shapes, and gameplay depth.
  • Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure that those are just renders, but if not I will be pretty dissapointed. If they're going to bring us Sims 4 so soon, at least bring it with a huge bang! Everyone expected it to take much longer than it did to be announced, so it better be good if they didnt even take theyre time on it. I don't want them to make games just to make games. I want it to be a true improvement, including the quality of my sims.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

oA2q5GG.png

To this (ultra-cartoony TS4 Sim):

Enx4IqZ.png

I really want something more like this (somewhat realistic TS2 Sims):

HBU74.png

zndbdTQ.png

pDRhADw.png

With better animations, body shapes, and gameplay depth.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If they look very realistic, I would feel bad taking the ladder out of the pool.

you know what? That is an excellent point. The more realistic our Sims look, the more empathy we may feel for them. Consciously, we know they aren't real, but it is surprisingly easy to confuse the older parts of our brain.

I don't know about everyone else, but that's the point for me -- I want to feel a connection with my sims. It helps me continue the game and not get bored. I figure that the more realism, the more little custom tweaking I can do, the better "connection" I'll have with my sims and I'll be able to stay interested in the game longer.

Currently, I can hardly play for more than a few days before wanting to start a new town all together. In the sims 2, I customized everything to the point that every sim had a unique story and I had written out what their lives would be like in my head. I want that back. The sims 3 sims just look all the same to me, honestly.
  • Options
    simseatcakesimseatcake Posts: 230 New Member
    edited May 2013

oA2q5GG.png

Honestly, I find the picture of the sim above to be very disturbing. I do not want a sim that has a two dimensional face stuck on a three dimensional body, while living in a three dimensional world. It just doesn’t look right. I am not sure what it is, but something about that sim gives me the creeps. Maybe it is her eyes or her mouth?
  • Options
    ADLER900ADLER900 Posts: 503 Member
    edited May 2013
    Sims4 news reports that they are cartoon style...yet to be confirmed officially.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I find the picture of the sim above to be very disturbing. I do not want a sim that has a two dimensional face stuck on a three dimensional body, while living in a three dimensional world. It just doesn’t look right. I am not sure what it is, but something about that sim gives me the creeps. Maybe it is her eyes or her mouth?

I'm sure you would be able to make your own Sims that didn't seem creepy to you. The point is that I'd like the option to make realistic ones.

Also, if you find that Sim disturbing, I don't see how you can stand to play most new video games. She's actually pretty cartoony compared to others. And sorry, but The Sims is supposed to be a people simulator, not Super Mario.

What I find disturbing is taking cartoon characters (which the "eyes" seem to be) that look like they should be in the shows my children used to watch, and having them make out, woohoo, and basically playing them like adults. That just seems wrong to me, and I have no desire to play a kiddie game without grown-up interactions.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,239 Member
    edited May 2013
    If they look very realistic, I would feel bad taking the ladder out of the pool.

But you will still do it, right?

Thanks for the giggle. :D
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure you would be able to make your own Sims that didn't seem creepy to you. The point is that I'd like the option to make realistic ones.

Also, if you find that Sim disturbing, I don't see how you can stand to play most new video games. She's actually pretty cartoony compared to others. And sorry, but The Sims is supposed to be a people simulator, not Super Mario.

What I find disturbing is taking cartoon characters (which the "eyes" seem to be) that look like they should be in the shows my children used to watch, and having them make out, woohoo, and basically playing them like adults. That just seems wrong to me, and I have no desire to play a kiddie game without grown-up interactions.

The newest video game I have played was New Super Mario Bros., which was pretty cartoony. For the most part, I do not really care for super realistic games like skyrim, I actually do prefer playing Super Mario Bros. But my only point is that the sims franchise should not be made into a super realistic simulator. It should remain the way it has always been, which is parodying life.

By the way,television shows like Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, The Simpsons, Futurama, and The Cleveland Show all have cartoon characters performing adult interactions.

I do not want to offend anybody or seem rude, I just like my games to be enjoyable and some-what unrealistic. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bluegayle_ wrote:

But you will still do it, right?

Thanks for the giggle. :D

Haha, as long as there is a pool, ladders will be removed. :twisted:
  • Options
    edited May 2013

The newest video game I have played was New Super Mario Bros., which was pretty cartoony. For the most part, I do not really care for super realistic games like skyrim, I actually do prefer playing Super Mario Bros. But my only point is that the sims franchise should not be made into a super realistic simulator. It should remain the way it has always been, which is parodying life.

By the way,television shows like Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, The Simpsons, Futurama, and The Cleveland Show all have cartoon characters performing adult interactions.

I LOVE games like Skyrim! :D If I could play that like I play the Sims, EA would never see me again. I wouldn't even be here discussing TS4.

And all I can say about the adult interactions in the TV shows you mentioned is...yuck! I don't even want to imagine that. :P

• Options
    edited May 2013

I LOVE games like Skyrim! :D If I could play that like I play the Sims, EA would never see me again. I wouldn't even be here discussing TS4.

And all I can say about the adult interactions in the TV shows you mentioned is...yuck! I don't even want to imagine that. :P

Would you reccomend skyrim? My xbox 360 has been collecting dust so... :lol:
  • Options
    DivaOfDarknessDivaOfDarkness Posts: 1,097 Member
    edited May 2013

^i agree
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Would you reccomend skyrim? My xbox 360 has been collecting dust so... :lol:

I love the graphics on the PC version, but I've never played it on console (or played any console game at all - not really my thing). I mainly just like watching my daughter play Skyrim and seeing the mods people have made.

I'm really only interested in building, creating, and playing out my own storylines like I can in the Sims. I want to be able to do that with the beautiful graphics other games offer.
  • Options
    Prettyweed870Prettyweed870 Posts: 832 Member
    edited May 2013
    ADLER900 wrote:
    Sims4 news reports that they are cartoon style...yet to be confirmed officially.

If you are correct, I am crossing my fingers for The Sims Medieval type cartoony. I really liked the appearance of those sims and feel they would be a step up in avatar appearance and satisfy most people, including me. :wink: Time will tell what we can expect but EA knows they have to hit this out of the park to make most if not all of us want to change platforms and purchase more than just the base game.
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    ADLER900 wrote:

If you are correct, I am crossing my fingers for The Sims Medieval type cartoony. I really liked the appearance of those sims and feel they would be a step up in avatar appearance and satisfy most people, including me. :wink: Time will tell what we can expect but EA knows they have to hit this out of the park to make most if not all of us want to change platforms and purchase more than just the base game.

That tumblr has been proven to be unofficial. All we have is the eyes picture to go on and I don't think that's overly cartoony.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Xari99 wrote:
    I think they look a little too cartoonish, but they're in development, right?

Also, how many of you simmers would like the Heavy Rain character style?
    That's the most realistic game characters I've seen.(Personally I think they look great, but are they too much for The Sims?).

8x5tvr.jpg

atp761.jpg

bj8qqe.jpg

swg2ma.jpg

Oh my gosh, amazing! As another poster said, I don't think it fits the sims theme but these characters are beautiful!
  • Options
    LagazLagaz Posts: 96
    edited May 2013

I wish I could like this. :lol:
  • Options
    Dan_McManDan_McMan Posts: 8 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I love the new look. I've always liked graphics to be a little stylized. It allows me to forget about them - if graphics are realistic the things that don't look quite right jump out at me, whether it be animations or textures or low poly models. Stylized graphics allow for a bit more 'fudging,' and artful fudging can actually look really good.
  • Options
    Mia576Mia576 Posts: 393 New Member
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, I'm so tired of "Oh no, Sims 4 Sims are cartoonish, why??", "The Sims' faces are like clay", "Why does the hair look like plastic??"...

The game is still in developement. That image was shown to showcase that Sims 4 have "eyes", i.e. have emotions and personalities. There's a 99% chances that the Sims will change drastically when the game releases. Even if they showcase the trailer at E3, chances are that Sims' appearances will most likely change till the game is released.