Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Premade gay couples...

I would like to point out some facts about the topic which is currently an on going flame war:

1. Just because it disagrees with certain people's religions doesn't mean we can't do it.

Whenever this topic comes up, people say that it goes against their religion. So? Sims can steal, woohoo in public, and run around naked. This game is all about sims, not sins, and what your religion thinks of being gay doesn't matter.

2. Who gives a purple plumbob about Africa?

People then say that this would offend people who live in places that criminalize homosexuality, like Africa and the Middle East. But this game isn't directed to the people who live in such medieval time periods. This is directed to Western countries, like USA, Canada, UK, and the rest of the EU. If people from other countries don't like it, too bad. They aren't the target audience, and also it is rather a double standard. I don't see any of the people saying some countries look down upon it as an excuse also saying we should implement burkas because other countries look down on seeing women.

3. T is for teen, not toddler...

Whenever someone says that this is a family friendly game and that little children play it, I first get offended by them saying gay people are obscene and too mature, and thus implying unable to be fit Pareto. That is a lie. Gay couples can be great parents. But then it irks me how stupid they were for saying this game is family friendly. It's rated T for teen. It has nectar, woohoo, bubble bars, streaking, skinny dipping, and jelly beans. It is a higher rating for a reason.

4. People against it are intolerant bigots.

Everyone always hides behind the bible to try to justify their claims, saying it is part of their religion. That is really stupid. You don't get to discriminate against Jews because you believe in Mien Kampf! If you want to have religious beliefs, that's fine, but when your religion sets strange and unusual rules, YOU have to abide by them, and it is obnoxious to try to get everyone else to follow your rules by force.

Comments

• Options
    ShelbieeSavageShelbieeSavage Posts: 334 New Member
    edited May 2013
    +1
  • Options
    Poodlestyle33Poodlestyle33 Posts: 726 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree mostly with this, with a little rewording if it were me. I do think there is no valid argument against pre-made same-sex sim couples. Unfortunately, I doubt the people against the addition of pre-made same-sex couples will change their mind by reading our responses. But if EA needs to hear why their reasons are wrong, well then hopefully they will understand.
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm for the pre-mades but honestly.. I think everyone should just calm down or this forum might get locked or something. Everything is out of hand and this thread did not need to be opened. It feels like it's presence is to anger people and generate a negative response.

So please. Let's just let this one go.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lovcat wrote:
    I'm for the pre-mades but honestly.. I think everyone should just calm down or this forum might get locked or something. Everything is out of hand and this thread did not need to be opened. It feels like it's presence is to anger people and generate a negative response.

So please. Let's just let this one go.

I don't really understand why some people are saying it is out of hand, or a flame war. Most people seem to be fairly calm.
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013

I don't really understand why some people are saying it is out of hand, or a flame war. Most people seem to be fairly calm.

I just know I'll probably wake up tomorrow and there will be 10 separate threads about this and maybe a couple about religion or not having one.

I also consider it a flame war when people call each other idiots (and worse) for having differing views. Wouldn't you?
  • Options
    TotaTota Posts: 1,385 Member
    edited May 2013
    IMeep wrote:

People then say that this would offend people who live in places that criminalize homosexuality, like Africa and the Middle East. But this game isn't directed to the people who live in such medieval time periods. This is directed to Western countries, like USA, Canada, UK, and the rest of the EU. If people from other countries don't like it, too bad. They aren't the target audience, and also it is rather a double standard. I don't see any of the people saying some countries look down upon it as an excuse also saying we should implement burkas because other countries look down on seeing women.

Wow, that is pretty nasty written. I agree with everything else you are writing, but generalizing a whole continent like that is pretty bad. I hope you consider rephrasing that. There are plenty of people from countries outside of Africa and the Middle East who are bigots. Just because The Sims has a predominantly white setting and obviously is inspired by the culture of USA (There are plenty of things in the game that has nothing to do with the country where I come from, Sweden, I can still enjoy and play the game just fine) doesn't mean that the game is meant to be played only by people in the West. That is like saying that games that only have male characters can only be played by males and women should not have an opinion about them.
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lovcat wrote:

I just know I'll probably wake up tomorrow and there will be 10 separate threads about this and maybe a couple about religion or not having one.

I also consider it a flame war when people call each other idiots (and worse) for having differing views. Wouldn't you?

Perhaps. I don't see anything wrong with discussing such things though if that's what people want. Not that I'm for name calling. They seem to be in the minority though.
  • Options
    callinthacallintha Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    I for one cannot believe people would be so full of hatred as to open a petition AGAINST having a pre-made same-sex couple.

If you don't want to play with a same-sex couple in your game, then don't play that family.

Plus, I don't know about you, but I cannot make my Sims STOP getting romantic interests who are of the same gender. Unless I turn Free Will off, my Sims just keep falling in love with whoever is compatible with them, no matter their gender. Therefore getting your knickers in such a twist that you would start a petition for EA not to include a gay couple is kind of redundant, no?
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2013
    Can I just make a point real quick just for my personal self not for others. I am a christian as well but I signed the petition to support same sex couples as premades in game and I'll explain why.

1. I was raised that Love believes in all things, endures all things, hopes in all things and never fails. I believe first and foremost that love comes first and I never say ever in that bible that it was my Job as a human to condemn another human. No I always saw that I myself should be peaceable with all men, exercise understanding, and above all else love my neighbor as i would myself. To me this is first, humbling and yes at times hard to do as I am not perfect and make mistakes.

2. I was taught to mind my own business when it comes to the affairs of what goes on in someone else's life and home. It is not my position to point my finger at other people and say you have to live and believe like I do. It's not my place it's not my business to say who someone should love, or be with. That is their business and their right to do so.

3. Jesus himself did not do that but was a teacher not a condemner. He advocately taught that he who is without sin cast the first stone. No one on here religious beliefs or not has the right to point to another person and say your wrong. Those were teachings to apply to yourself not to force onto other people. Therefore i will not condemn someone who is gay as they are human with feelings and emotions just as myself. These our our neighbors, why has the command to love and show tolerance ignored above everything else. If I am this follower than would I not also follow closely to the love this individual displayed. Whether people believe him or not his greatest teaching was love and that is something we humans need for each other.

4. I refuse to use my love for my religion as a tool to spread hatred and bigotry because that is not what it was designed to do. It is always people who hide behind religion to hurt other people that make me sad because there are good people out there too. Even more sad to see the hate always out ways the good. Well i for one don't want to be apart of such hate and don't see a problem with such a thing in my game.

People this is sims we have the freedom to control your game if you don't want the premades just delete them, much like many people do if they don't want them there is no difference. However if EA so chooses to make those premade couples for the game which i don't see why not then I don't see that hurting anyone in anyway. It certainly doesn't hurt my beliefs and I still play sims because i love the game. To see so much hate towards other people just brings me to tears, it's very sad. Anyway that's my stance on it this is just my personal feelings.
  • Options
    YorkieGirl4YorkieGirl4 Posts: 361 Member
    edited May 2013
    Why do people insist on bringing up things that they know will start wars? :? None of these threads on this topic should exist because the OPs should know better than to bring up such controversial topics.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited May 2013
    IMeep,

The only intolerant people I see on here are you and your supporters, as well as the supporters on the other threads. If you're trying to intimidate people into supporting you by using the bigot card, don't bother, because it just shows how intolerant *you* are that you feel that you *have* to cram your sexual preference down our throats (I would have used the word "Lifestyle" but someone called me on it).

This thread is unnecessary. You're not going to force EA to put a pre-made same sex couple in their game. They won't put in anything that could cost them sales. And face it, the majority of the people playing this game aren't necessarily gay although many of them are "tolerant" about homosexuality, or say they are because they don't want to get blasted or called a bigot by members of the gay community. But that doesn't mean that they're totally comfortable or would chose it for themselves.

Frankly, people are *afraid* to say that they don't agree with the gay community because *they* don't want to be called intolerant bigots by the intolerant gay community. The only thing the gay community wants is for everyone to say that it's okay to be gay and bend over backwards to cater to being gay. That's never going to happen no matter how much you try to intimidate people into submission by using the bigot and hater card. One of these days, the gay community will go too far in pushing its agenda, and find the pendulum swinging, and not in their favor.

You want acceptance but you're not willing to accept other people's point of view. You won't even agree to disagree, right? With you and others like you, it's all or nothing. Well, good luck with that. I've always been too ornery to be backed into a corner that way.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited May 2013
    The sims tries its best to be a neutral game, which is why it generally stays clear from these types of issues. That's why there is no religion content, and that is why the option for same sex couples in game exists. That ought to be enough. These petitions are ridiculous - both sides, and I hope both sides are taken off the forum.
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't want to get caught in the drama but these threads won't go away, so if you can't beat them, join them.

I support the gay community. They do what they chose and it is not my place to interfere. As far as the game is concerned, let's be real here. There are most likely more straight than gay couples in society and it is considered the "norm". Norm =/= good. It's just how it USUALLY is. It's really just "whatever", neither good nor bad. The game is vanilla, it gives you the bare basics, "norms", and you fill in the rest. You are free to make gay sims, no one is saying you can't..not even EA. It's just more, well...typical and "traditional" to make straight families, that's all.

We can argue that there are no polygamous couples, either. As a matter of fact, they aren't even possible in the game - you can only have on lover or else it is cheating. There's a lot the game omits, or that aren't pre-made, or are impossible. Having or not having a premade gay couple means nothing in the grand scheme of things and doesn't interfere with a player's game play so long as the option is at least available. And the Sims is a game, not a tool for social issues and platforms, at the end of the day.
    For what it is worth, I have more lesbian sims in my game than straight ones, or **** near close anyway.
    /Shield

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited May 2013
    I already got a thread on private servers deleted tonight for trolling done in the opening post and by the original poster later in the thread. Please do not make me report this one as well.
  • Options
    lenieceleniece Posts: 869 Member
    edited May 2013
    Try being a native american indian in the USA and see what happens. So, therefore, we shall petition to have all of the more than 128 USA tribes added to the sims 4 game as pre mades. With historical and present day correct outfits.
    Oh and I would like Bobby McFerrin as a pre made, too. And his music added as well.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy. Have Fun :D
  • Options
    KidVicious359KidVicious359 Posts: 841 Member
    edited May 2013
    All I can say is I love the posts from Anavastia and Jarsie.
    zv7sly.jpg
    Twitch.tv/MirPanda33 .... Etsy.com/shop/MHillCrafts ... Come say hi!
  • Options
    crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't get what the big deal is tbh.
  • Options
    ememzemmyememzemmy Posts: 215 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I think any pre-made couples should be straight and that's not because I'm religious... believe me I'm not. It's because that makes it optional, people who only want straight couples can keep it that way and people who want gay couples can make some themself and move them into the town.

Seriously, it doesn't have to be so complicated :roll:
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited May 2013
    There are individual gay Sims. For example Gobias Koffi in Sunset Valley is said out-right to be gay. It says in his bio "Is this because he prefers the company of his male friends?"
    Ayesha Ansari is also implied to be gay. She often ends u dating her roommates!
    And in Aurora Skies there are two guys living together and it is implied they are a to-be gay couple.
    In Bridgeport, Jun Xu often ends up as a lesbian, the same could be said for Lily-Boe Chique!
    So there are lots of Sims implied to be gay, and this does sort out the problem of people being offended. But I do agree, it'd be great to see some pre-made couples. If you notice in the trailer for Uni Life, two girls kiss each other, so it's not like EA are hiding it away. They just want sales, and if they think having premade gays will drop their sales, they most likely woon't include it! You can make gay couples yourself if you want to, so surely that cool..?:S
  • Options
    thesimlingthesimling Posts: 4,486 New Member
    edited May 2013
    IMeep wrote:

People then say that this would offend people who live in places that criminalize homosexuality, like Africa and the Middle East. But this game isn't directed to the people who live in such medieval time periods. This is directed to Western countries, like USA, Canada, UK, and the rest of the EU.

4. People against it are intolerant bigots.

Everyone always hides behind the bible to try to justify their claims, saying it is part of their religion. That is really stupid. You don't get to discriminate against Jews because you believe in Mien Kampf! If you want to have religious beliefs, that's fine, but when your religion sets strange and unusual rules, YOU have to abide by them, and it is obnoxious to try to get everyone else to follow your rules by force.
    It's really sad when I'm on the same side as someone, but their idiotic and rude posts mean I'm placed on the complete opposite side. Sadly a lot of Simmers possess this *******-Donkey-Kong quality. (EDIT: dumb as/like was censored)

2. RUDE. Just RUDE.

4. People aren't trying to get others to follow the Bible by force, and NOT EVERYONE against it is an intolerant bigot.

Seriously, people... when you argue for something, please make sure you put your point across in a way that doens't make the rational people HAVE to go against you. :roll:
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have already asked on the other non petition thread if EA decides to add Premade same sex couples, then may we have Premade Sims of Faith?

People of 'faith' also believe it is a part of them like their skin, and they can no more separte themselves from their faith than they can their skin.

There is a huge population of 'religious' people in the world of all kinds of faith, even those that worship rocks, so my question and I really am not trying to be argumentive but I want to understand why the gay community is against that in the game how that is not bigotry?

So those people not also have a right to have their choice/lifestyle represented in the game? No? why because religion is a choice? No, some faiths followers believe they were 'born' into their faiths and they can no more separate themselves from their faiths than anyone else.

But Cali, no disrespect Cali, said he wanted the option not to be turned off in SP, but wanted everyone to have to 'experience' it inorder to make everyone mad that is against a premade Sim couple.

The problem with EA is once they add any thing in the game as a premade SP produces those Sims in huge amounts, and then you have Simmers demanding a turn off button, because SP has run amuck.

What if a player doesn't want any gays in their game, SP already creates them..and I certaintly don't mean to compare gays to vamps or celebs that would be very degrading, but SP in TS3, goes overboard. So, even if EA did put in a premade couple or even a religious Sim as a premade it woulnd't be long until the entire game was not all what an individual player was wanting to see in their own personal games.

I know that all sounds horribly awful..but if you include one group you must include all groups are you are a bigot if you say, no, no religious Sims and or no, not this group or that group etc.

It's just a fact of life. I don't want EA's code to play my game, I want to play my game..no matter how I play it. With or without gays, or with or without Sims of faith, or with or without anybody else in it but one Sim. :hunf:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.