Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

1st person mode?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited May 2013
    That would be pretty cool and definitely different, if they don't change much then we may as well stick with the sims 3
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    x_Saffronx_Saffron Posts: 624 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Archivist wrote:
    I'm surprised so many people are against this idea. I think it would be cool as just a mode you could enter for fun, but not necessarily as the main way you're expected to play. If it did become the main mode of play, that would be terrible.

Sure, it would be fun as an optional mode. And only as an optional mode.

If the game was purely in 1st or 3rd person view, it would be the only Sims game I wouldn't buy. Ever.

I like to play big families and control all of them at the same time. I normally zoom out enough to see all the family that is on the lot (or most of it), and switch everytime I see someone doing something I don't like/want. Playing in 1st person view and having to constantly switch between everyone just to see what they are doing at every given moment because I can't see them all the same time would be ridiculously annoying.

EDIT: It was fun though, back on TS2 for console, because you could only have 4 sims at the same time, and they were all independant adults.
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I was assuming that the OP meant for it to just be a mode ('cause of the title lol).

I also prefer to play large families and from a distance, but there are times when I enjoy just playing one Sim and ignoring everything else, and this mode would make that feel pretty awesome and immersive. It would be especially cool for builders who just want to experience the house/lot/neighborhood they built as if they're a Sim living there. Camera Mode allows us to do that to some extent, but to do it while bound to the physical rules of a Sim (unable to fly or pass through walls) would make the immersion feel that much more authentic.

I definitely agree that it would ruin the game if it was the only way to play, but as an optional mode, I think it would add a whole new level of fun that has never really been done in the series.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I hope not. Or if they are, I hope it's an option you can turn off. I don't want to play through my sim's eyes.
  • Options
    katrinakrakishkatrinakrakish Posts: 355 Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't mind as much if you could set it.. but I wouldn't prefer to play in first person. Just no.
    Origin account: Vegeta_tales
  • Options
    playeralyalyweklplayeralyalywekl Posts: 1,345 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have a question.

how would that work, to tell your Sim what to do in first person mode? If you can only see what the Sims sees, then how you can you tell your Sim to go to the attic if they can't see the attic, or go to the park if they can't see the park? :(
  • Options
    Poodlestyle33Poodlestyle33 Posts: 726 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I liked being able to control my sim on the console games, it was incredible. Especially playing with another person in 2P mode. But I didn't look through their actual eyes. Not sure how that would work with a keyboard and mouse though, for The Sims. But if it's optional, hey, more options!
  • Options
    Longcat123Longcat123 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think they were trying to say the new sims would show more emotion, but it'd great if they did make an optional first person mode. Only optional though, it would be a huge pain trying to control a whole family in first person!
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have a question.

how would that work, to tell your Sim what to do in first person mode? If you can only see what the Sims sees, then how you can you tell your Sim to go to the attic if they can't see the attic, or go to the park if they can't see the park? :(
    I was thinking it would work like many other first person games do. After entering first person mode, you'd control your Sim's movements by using either the arrow keys or the WASD keys, while using the mouse to adjust your view, and the mouse cursor to click on Sims or objects and bring up the same interaction menus you'd normally see in-game. Those interactions would play out exactly as they normally would.

To travel upstairs or downstairs, you'd either click the stairs or walk at them to initiate that particular animation/action. To travel to the park or some other location, you'd either call a taxi (by clicking on your cell phone as you normally would) or you'd click the appropriate interaction on your Sim's vehicle of choice. This would bring up the same map interface that would normally appear in-game, and you'd select your location just as you normally would.

I don't think an optional first person mode would require much in the way of new game mechanics or infrastructure. The game would behave pretty much exactly the same apart from the added ability to control the Sim directly with keys, and a change to the way the camera behaves in that mode (the camera would collide on walls and surfaces so as not to obscure your view of your Sim, and you could zoom into the Sim's point of view or zoom out for an "always behind the character" view). If you've ever played WoW or similar games, the camera would behave a lot like it does in that game.

And to reiterate, I'd want it to just be an optional mode, not the way the whole game is. The main mode of play would be the way it's always been. But just like how there's a Camera Mode or an Edit Town Mode, it would just be an optional mode you can toggle into.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    MacD13MacD13 Posts: 79 New Member
    edited May 2013
    If its optional, it would be cool.

However i would like to not be forced to play in first person.
  • Options
    GothicansGothicans Posts: 129
    edited May 2013
    I'd like the option but not all the time. It'd be a great option for story tellers as well. :)
  • Options
    gissencegissence Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    When in the Salt Lake Studios recently I asked a senior engineer this exact question. He said it's just too complex of an option due to the rendering differentials. He was, of course, referring to S3. Perhaps fundamental structural design platforms will change that in 4.

I personally would also like to see this option become reality.
  • Options
    Simmer999Simmer999 Posts: 863 Member
    edited May 2013
    That would be so terrible.
  • Options
    cwurts00cwurts00 Posts: 60 Member
    edited May 2013
    First person mode does not belong in the sims at all, in my opinion. They've been moving towards this, and it simply must stop.
  • Options
    PrincessStarrPrincessStarr Posts: 221 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Omg I Hope that's definitely not it. I think people are over thinking that image way to much
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited May 2013
    first person is bad enough on second life. I have no interest in ever being able to play first person.
  • Options
    lenieceleniece Posts: 869 Member
    edited May 2013
    My idea of first person is not actually seeing through the sim people eyes.
    It would rather be that the player and sim could react to each other, as if the player were another Sim.
    So, the sim 1 could be trying to make friends with another sim 2, and sim 1 could look at the screen and say - what do you think about this sim person 2 as my friend?
    And the player could have options to answer or talk or interact not.
    This idea came to me from another post about how in sims 2 the sim people seem to be looking at the player.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy. Have Fun :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Archivist wrote:
    I have a question.

I was thinking it would work like many other first person games do. After entering first person mode, you'd control your Sim's movements by using either the arrow keys or the WASD keys, while using the mouse to adjust your view, and the mouse cursor to click on Sims or objects and bring up the same interaction menus you'd normally see in-game. Those interactions would play out exactly as they normally would.

To travel upstairs or downstairs, you'd either click the stairs or walk at them to initiate that particular animation/action. To travel to the park or some other location, you'd either call a taxi (by clicking on your cell phone as you normally would) or you'd click the appropriate interaction on your Sim's vehicle of choice. This would bring up the same map interface that would normally appear in-game, and you'd select your location just as you normally would.

I think as an optional thing, it could be interesting to try out (and great for movie-making/picture taking), but I can't see myself playing that way over the long-term.

It sounds like a lot of micromanagement. It reminds me of how you guide your Sim when they are exploring a tomb in WA. It's not 1st person, but you have to tell them to use the stairs because you can't see any farther.

Another thing is that in this mode you can't watch the Sim you are controlling do anything. I don't know about anyone else, but I actually derive enjoyment from watching my Sims do what I tell them to do.

In the end, I would rather just click on the destination (for example, the park) and the Sim finds a way to get there.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    leniece wrote:
    My idea of first person is not actually seeing through the sim people eyes.
    It would rather be that the player and sim could react to each other, as if the player were another Sim.
    So, the sim 1 could be trying to make friends with another sim 2, and sim 1 could look at the screen and say - what do you think about this sim person 2 as my friend?
    And the player could have options to answer or talk or interact not.
    This idea came to me from another post about how in sims 2 the sim people seem to be looking at the player.

Kind of like a conscience or an "inner voice"? That might be neat. Ha, I imagine a Sim asking the player for their input on something as kind of like a prayer to us :lol:
  • Options
    xerxysxerxys Posts: 33 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I just mentioned in another thread, I think it is taken out of context, as the Gurus have basically just spun out an old and well-worn turn of phrase that people have siezed upon. I think it refers to these three sims, when the full picture is finally shown, doing something that really sets the sims 4 apart gameplay-wise (but definitely not first-player). My bet is complex three-way interactions.

But taking a close look at the image again just now, it seems as though the three figures are not all entirely the same scale. To my eye, the right hand female is the most forward, and the man is furthest back, suggesting the image is three individual sims who, when fully revealed, will be in individual situations doing different things separate of one another...

One thing'S for certain... Until we know more, we know nothing, Jon Snow...