Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lupus Awareness Month Lottery **WINNERS ANNOUNCED COME CLAIM PRIZES**

HELLO! :mrgreen: I haven't been on in a few months because school took over my life, and its been even longer since I posted here, but here we go!

Lupus Awareness Month

In honor of Lupus Awareness Month I am going to host a lottery :) As my friends on here know, I have Lupus (AND Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Sjogrens, and fibromyalgia). I am very adamant in spreading awareness! So this is how this lottery will work :)

Rules:

You MUST look up one fact about lupus. Its ok if there start to be repeats, especially once more people begin to sign up!

Prizes:

1st prize: 100sp item off your wish list
2nd prize: 50sp item off your wish list
3rd prize: 25sp item off your wish list

*****You may enter yourself OR nominate someone else. This lottery will be open all month (May 10-May 31).*****

Entry Form:

Username:
Nomination (yourself/friend):
Lupus fact:

I will choose the winners using random.org

lupuskids_zps5c5de5a4.jpg
lupusawareness7156edit3_zps8382e5af.jpg
lupusawareness7156edit2_zps4ccdab31.jpg
lupusawareness7156edit_zps24ad1193.jpg
lupusawareness7156_zps7aa3245d.jpg
lupusawareness715_zpsc2a6f156.jpg
lupusawareness41_zpsf23261fd.jpg
factday3_zps3931b20e.jpg
factday2_zps190eb1d9.jpg
factday1_zpsf02db607.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ritzbitritzbit Posts: 429
    edited May 2013
    *****Entries*****

1.Imeffinawsome92
    2.Lopithecus
    3.xenacullen
    4.zirina
    5.Thelessy
    6.AIRIS6962
    7.zirina
    8.maxy64
    9.Jessicamp25
    10.tkbluebasketball
    11.Blysscia
    12.mayray
    13.Meowkatz
    14.ADWilson
    15.litabelaqua
    16.Astronut1984
    17.BethyAnn93
    18.Rdl9268
    19.jwghost
    20.dayshatw
    21.SALTPASTILLEN
    22.Nathalie19740
    23.Fruffy2000
    24.deksy
    25.MeganMillard123
    26.Blythelyre
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    *****Winners*****

21.SALTPASTILLEN
    1.Imeffinawsome92
    7.zirina

9.Jessicamp25
    24.deksy
    26.Blythelyre
    12.mayray
    18.Rdl9268
    14.ADWilson
    17.BethyAnn93
    4.zirina
    6.AIRIS6962
    10.tkbluebasketball
    13.Meowkatz
    5.Thelessy
    2.Lopithecus
    20.dayshatw
    23.Fruffy2000
    3.xenacullen
    16.Astronut1984
    19.jwghost
    22.Nathalie19740
    8.maxy64
    15.litabelaqua
    11.Blysscia
    25.MeganMillard123
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    KatieeeeKatieeee Posts: 16,995 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this. (I'm sure you get that a lot, I have my set of health problems so i know :p) I'm on my phone right now but ill pop in later to participate :D
    Mafia stats
    Played: 255 | Won: 221 | Lost: 34
    Town: 100 | Mafia: 150 | Third: 5
    Town Win: 86| Mafia Win: 131 | Third Win: 4
    Alive: 65 | Lynched: 99 | Nk: 91 |

Come play Mafia with us: http://ultimatemafia.boards.net/
  • Options
    ZirinaZirina Posts: 1,341 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: Zirina
    Nomination (yourself/friend): Imeffinawsome92
    http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Imeffinawesome92

Lupus fact:

This is very personal. I was diagnosed with Lupus 6 yrs ago. I have since developed Raynauds, pulmonary hypertension, and heart failure. I got a pacemaker in my 30's. Every person's experience with Lupus is different. It all depends on what organs get attacked. I had my heart and lungs hit at the same time. The doctors fixed me up after a month in the hospital and I've lived pretty normally ever since. I'm a lot slower than I was. It takes me longer to get things done and I get tired a lot faster, but I am living. Being diagnosed with Lupus use to just be a death sentence, but it's not that way anymore. I'm proof you can still have a good life and live with Lupus.
  • Options
    xenacullenxenacullen Posts: 3,474 Member
    edited May 2013

Username:Xena Cullen

Nomination (yourself/friend):Lopithecus
    http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Lopithecus

Lupus fact:
    1 - Lupus is an autoimmune, rheumatic disease.
    In lupus, the immune system of the body attacks its own cells and tissues. Specifically, the joints, skin, kidneys, lungs, heart, nervous system, and other organs of the body are affected.
  • Options
    lydiad206lydiad206 Posts: 3,747 Member
    edited May 2013
    Welcome back, ritz! I know Lupus and Multiple Sclerosis are different diseases, but there are a lot of similarities. I bring this up because my mother has been living with MS for over twenty years now.

Username: lydiad206
    Nomination (yourself/friend): xenacullen
    Lupus fact: I'd like to share a positive fact about Lupus

Most people with lupus will live a normal life span, due to improved diagnosis and treatment. Treatment focuses on the symptoms of lupus, rather than the disease itself.
    er0s4g.jpg
  • Options
    KatieeeeKatieeee Posts: 16,995 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: Katieeee
    Nomination (yourself/friend): http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=zirina
    Lupus fact:
    There are many kinds of lupus. The most common type, systemic lupus erythematosus, affects many parts of the body. Other types of lupus are:

Discoid lupus erythematosus—causes a skin rash that doesn't go away
    Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus—causes skin sores on parts of the body exposed to sun
    Drug-induced lupus—can be caused by medications
    Neonatal lupus—a rare type of lupus that affects newborns.
    Mafia stats
    Played: 255 | Won: 221 | Lost: 34
    Town: 100 | Mafia: 150 | Third: 5
    Town Win: 86| Mafia Win: 131 | Third Win: 4
    Alive: 65 | Lynched: 99 | Nk: 91 |

Come play Mafia with us: http://ultimatemafia.boards.net/
  • Options
    ThelessyThelessy Posts: 1,764 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username:Thelessy
    Nomination (yourself/friend):myself
    Lupus fact: Raynaulds, often associated with Lupus but can be a condition on it's own or related to other disease, causes extremities to discolour and lose sensation due to changes in temperature and sometimes because of vibration, stress or other factors. The blood vessels constrict more than they are supposed to.

I know this because I have it and it's very uncomfortable.
  • Options
    4067567240675672 Posts: 3,553 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: 40675672 (Julian)
    Nomination (yourself/friend): AIRIS6962
    Lupus fact: Anyone can get lupus, but it most often affects women. Lupus is also more common in women of African American, Hispanic, Asian, and Native American descent than in Caucasian women.

I'm so sorry that you have this disease. It's so nice to see that you're able to fight towards this and come through. I want to clarify that my nominee, Inma (that's her name), also has lupus, which caused her to quit her job and stay at home because the exposure to the sun irritates her skin.
    Thanks so much for hosting this.

Sending lots of hugs your way <3
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Updated to here :)

I am very sleepy, I will check back tomorrow.

I'm sorry to know that others of your here and your families know these struggles too. Happy to meet you all though!
  • Options
    4067567240675672 Posts: 3,553 Member
    edited May 2013
    ritzbit wrote:
    Updated to here :)

I am very sleepy, I will check back tomorrow.

I'm sorry to know that others of your here and your families know these struggles too. Happy to meet you all though!

Goodnight, and happy to meet you too <3
  • Options
    ZirinaZirina Posts: 1,341 Member
    edited May 2013
    Good Morning everyone! Pushin this up to page 1.
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: Jessabeans
    Nomination (yourself/friend): Zirina
    Lupus fact:

Pregnancy and Contraception for Women With Lupus

Women with lupus can and do have healthy babies. There are a few things to keep in mind if you are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant:

Pregnancy in women with lupus is considered high risk, but most women with lupus carry their babies safely.
    Pregnant women with lupus should see their doctors often.
    Lupus can flare during pregnancy.
    Pregnancy counseling and planning before pregnancy are important.
    Women with lupus who do not wish to become pregnant or who are taking medicine that could be harmful to an unborn baby may want reliable birth control. Recent studies have shown that oral contraceptives (birth control pills) are safe for women with lupus.

*edit* It kept censoring her name when I posted the wishlist link.
  • Options
    TheKrazy_KimSimTheKrazy_KimSim Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited May 2013
    Ritzbit, its been a very long time. :( I hope things are well with you today and here is my nomination please:

Username: TheKrazy_KimSim

Nomination (yourself/friend): I like to nominate a brand new friend named maxy64: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=maxy64

Lupus fact: From Wikipedia: Systemic lupus erythematosus (i/sɪˈstɛmɪk ˈluːpəs ˌɛrɪθiːməˈtoʊsəs/), often abbreviated to SLE or lupus, is a systemic autoimmune disease (or autoimmune connective tissue disease) that can affect any part of the body. As occurs in other autoimmune diseases, the immune system attacks the body's cells and tissue, resulting in inflammation and tissue damage. It is a Type III hypersensitivity reaction in which antibody-immune complexes precipitate and cause a further immune response.
    SLE most often harms the heart, joints, skin, lungs, blood vessels, liver, kidneys, and nervous system. The course of the disease is unpredictable, with periods of illness (called flares) alternating with remissions. The disease occurs nine times more often in women than in men, especially in women in child-bearing years ages 15 to 35, and is also more common in those of non-European descent.
    There is no cure for SLE. It is treated with immunosuppression, mainly with cyclophosphamide, corticosteroids and other immunosuppressants. SLE can be fatal. The leading cause of death is from cardiovascular diseases acquired from corticosteroid therapy. Survival for people with SLE in the United States, Canada, and Europe has risen to approximately 95% at five years, 90% at 10 years, and 78% at 20 years, and now approaches that of matched controls without lupus.
    Childhood systemic lupus erythematosus generally presents between the ages of 3 and 15, with girls outnumbering boys 4:1, and typical skin manifestations being butterfly eruption on the face and photosensitivity.
    Lupus is Latin for wolf. In the 18th century, when lupus was just starting to be recognized as a disease, it was thought that it was caused by the bite of a wolf. This may have been because of the distinctive rash characteristic of lupus. (Once full-blown, the round, disk-shaped rashes heal from the inside out, leaving a bite-like imprint.)

Thank you for hosting and hope to see ya around some more. :)

* The Krazy_Kim Sim *
  • Options
    SybileSybile Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2013
    Glad to meet you, ritzbit! Spreading awareness on Lupus is a great initiative. Just learned a few facts today :wink: .

Username: Sybile
    Nomination (yourself/friend):Jessicamp25
    Lupus fact: Lupus is Latin for wolf. In the 18th century, when lupus was just starting to be recognized as a disease, it was thought that it was caused by the bite of a wolf. This may have been because of the distinctive rash characteristic of lupus. (Once full-blown, the round, disk-shaped rashes heal from the inside out, leaving a bite-like imprint.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sorry I wasn't jumping in to keep this up today. I have been getting ready for tomorrow which is actually MY lupus awareness walk lol I need to get some sleep, I have updated up to here! :)
  • Options
    tkbluebasketballtkbluebasketball Posts: 4,495 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: tkbluebasketball
    I am nominating myself!
    Fact: In lupus, the immune system of the body attacks its own cells and tissues. Specifically, the joints, skin, kidneys, lungs, heart, nervous system, and other organs of the body are affected.
    I never heard of this before until today! Thanks for hosting(:
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,098 Member
    edited May 2013
    Username: LisaMWitt
    Nomination (yourself/friend):Blysscia
    Lupus fact:Lupus is an autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis. Your immune system decides part/or multiple parts of your body is a foreign invader and attacks it. There are some similarities between the two- achy joints, swollen joints, fever, sensitivity to light, fatigue. And the exact cause is unknown.
    I have RA, but when I first started to display symptoms I was tested for Lupus. RA does not cause the rashes or some of the other symptoms that come with Lupus, but I can sympathize with the pain and fatigue in particular. There are days I wish so bad I could have an out-of-body experience. It's good to bring awareness for autoimmune diseases. I've found in general since my diagnosis that there is not enough awareness. Facts about them are relatively unknown by the public and because they are often invisible, you can be dismissed even by those close to you as being lazy, whiny, or a hypochondriac. Then you get those who go on and on about how you could eat or take something and cure yourself...
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    mayraymayray Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited May 2013
    This is a great lottery! I wrote a term paper on Lupus about 5 years ago, I wish I could find it. I'm sad to hear about your health problems ritzbit and Zirina, I too struggle with health issues but I can't imagine the pain this disease has caused you. Hugs for you both!
    Username: mayray
    Nomination (yourself/friend): I nominate myself (unless I can nominate someone else who's already been nominated)
    Lupus fact: blood clots can be a life-threatening symptom of lupus, because of this patients may be prescribed anticoagulants such as Coumadin.

Edited for grammar mistake
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad that I've let others who didn't know about it until this thread learn a little bit about lupus :) I will update to here, and yes I will allow for people to have multiple nominations.

I had my walk event today and it went so great. I had over 30 people on my team, and I won an award for the money my team raised. I'm exhauster now from all the walking but it was definitely worth it! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This fell all the way back to page 7, so I'm bumping it up so everyone sees it :)
  • Options
    MeowkatzMeowkatz Posts: 399 New Member
    edited May 2013
    This is something i did not know before: Lupus develops most often between ages 15 and 44. However, between 10 and 20 percent of cases develop during childhood and these cases can evolve more rapidly into serious health complication

Thank you for hosting and spreading awareness!
  • Options
    RockleyfamilyRockleyfamily Posts: 5,730 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm so sorry you have this illness hun. I loove the penguin though it's soo cute!:)
    I'm so glad you hosted this lottery because to be honest I had no idea what Lupus was before reading all your facts and other peoples facts about it. So you did well with your Lupus awareness month :) I now have more awareness.

Username: Rockleyfamily
    Nomination: ADWilson
    Lupus fact: Sorry if this one has already been mentioned. There are a lot of facts mentioned so far.

The immune system normally protects the body against viruses, bacteria, and other foreign substances. In an autoimmune disease like lupus, the immune system loses its ability to tell the difference between foreign substances and its own cells and tissue. The immune system then makes antibodies that target the body's own tissue or "self."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad that people are learning more about lupus :) I think autoimmune diseases in general are very misunderstood. My goal is that one day everyone will at least know what it is, and be correctly informed.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited May 2013
    I am so sorry to hear about your health issues. I have heard of Lupus before but did not know much about it. This thread is very enlightening. I found this on a site about lupus and have unashamedly copied and pasted

There are three main types of lupus:
    •Systemic lupus erythematosus (eh-RITH-eh-muh-TOE-sus) is the most common form. It’s sometimes called SLE, or just lupus. The word "systemic" means that the disease can involve many parts of the body such as the heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain. SLE symptoms can be mild or serious.
    •Discoid lupus erythematosus mainly affects the skin. A red rash may appear, or the skin on the face, scalp, or elsewhere may change color.
    •Drug-induced lupus is triggered by a few medicines. It’s like SLE, but symptoms are usually milder. Most of the time, the disease goes away when the medicine is stopped. More men develop drug-induced lupus because the drugs that cause it, hydralazine and procainamide, are used to treat heart conditions that are more common in men.