Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA promised an official statement about Mac issues, I need your help making sure we get it.

Comments

• Options
    SairayuSairayu Posts: 14
    edited April 2013
    I have a MacBook Air (late 2011 model) with all of the system requirements to play The Sims 3. Strangely enough, the game works quite well for me with the occasional rare crashes.
    I have had huge issues in the past involving saving errors, debug issues and problems with the launcher but in the past 6 months or so I have been experiencing less and less of a problem.
    Of course I still have the odd crash (which is incredibly frustrating and upsetting)and I experience lags frequently, but overall I have to say my game at least functions correctly. I have every expansion pack installed (yes, including Seasons), my game has the latest update and I do not use CC.
    Nevertheless I think it is so important for EA to at least address the issues I know many of you loyal Mac-users are experiencing. It is completely unacceptable that this is happening, and even though I am finally having a better game experience, I still understand what many of you are going through, because I have been there and done that.
    My question is, is there anyone else here that is at least able to get their game to function (even if it is at a basic level?) Maybe we could draw up some similarities to help the others get their games to function better.
    Because I hate to say it, but it seems like EA are never going to fully address the issue. They will continue to lead us all in merry circles until we eventually give up and move on.
    I really hope I am proven wrong. :(
  • Options
    FryeGuy24FryeGuy24 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited April 2013
    Just dropping in to say I've been reading this thread for a while, and thank you for working so hard to try to get Mac issues resolved for everyone. :)

My game runs pretty well on my Mac, meaning I only have the standard game problems rather than Mac-specific problems. But this is only because my computer is brand new and fully loaded with the best specs available, and I only have 4 EPs installed, with the newest being Generations. I *know* my game would no longer run well if I installed any new EP's. If these Mac issues I've read about were resolved, maybe I'd consider someday getting another EP like Seasons. But until then, I figure if EA doesn't want any more of my business as a Mac user, I'll happily not give it to them.
  • Options
    TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2013
    I posted something on here the other day... not sure where it went. Anyway...

If you look at the Mac forums, every thread is "My game freezes" or "crashing! Help!" and this has been happening since 2011 (or was 2010?). You would THINK EA/Origin would get their sh#t together...

One of the many times I contacted EA support for help, they flat out said that the Sims 3 was not made to be played on Macs... so... thanks?

BTW, has anyone else been having trouble connecting with EA support?
    Simming for twenty years...
  • Options
    FryeGuy24FryeGuy24 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited April 2013
    One of the many times I contacted EA support for help, they flat out said that the Sims 3 was not made to be played on Macs... so... thanks?

Wow, that's just ridiculous. They put out a Mac-specific version of the game, they charge Mac users money to buy the game, and they list out exactly what specs a *MAC* needs in order to play the game, so no way can they hide behind "this game wasn't made to be played on Macs."
  • Options
    candelsjr1candelsjr1 Posts: 22
    edited April 2013
    yenial wrote:
    Great. Really great. Now it is getting more complicated than ever.
    I'll say, don't raise your hopes. The Sims 3 for Mac is finished.
    Lets not think that... Lets give it time (1-2 months) to see if a patch will be released to fix the problems.

Sorry to say giving them 1 to 2 months to fix it with a patch...
    I've been waiting since last spring when I started playing and I'm sure others have waited longer.
    Its all about profit, profit, profit.
    It works on a Mac just enough to get away with the statement that it is compatible with a Mac.
    EA is cutting corners to make as much profit as they can. For them to write the program for just Mac would cut into there profits. Its cheaper for them to use cider and write it for both PC and Mac. The program tricks the game to think your Mac is a PC.
    I went from loving this game to loathing it and anything EA.
    What angers me the most is how EA has not said or responded to anything on the Mac forum. Just a hey we hear you and we are working on it would be something. I guess they are to busy counting the cash that we continue to give them.
    I check the forum every couple of weeks just hoping there was some kind of response. As always it falls on deaf ears.
  • Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure how much 1-2 months is actually going to make a difference. Cider crashes have been happening since 2009. They've exponentially increased for all Mac users once we started adding EPs and store content and SPs to our games. The next patch coming out won't be till Island Paradise is released. That's a while from now and plus that patch is supposed to fix everything that's wrong with UL. I highly doubt they bother adding Mac problems to that one as well.
  • Options
    Chris719Chris719 Posts: 100 Member
    edited May 2013
    I often daydream of waking up one morning, going on the the Mac Forum, and seeing hundreds of posts titled "OMG, IT'S FINALLY WORKING!!!" and "THE PATCH FIXED EVERYTHING! THIS IS AWESOME!!" and things of that sort... Reading through posts from people expressing joy that their game finally works. Being able to play though my game without having to worry about whether it'll crash or give me an Error Code 12. I hope those daydreams become a reality one day and we can all enjoy The Sims 3 as we were meant to.
  • Options
    candelsjr1candelsjr1 Posts: 22
    edited May 2013
    Chris719 wrote:
    I often daydream of waking up one morning, going on the the Mac Forum, and seeing hundreds of posts titled "OMG, IT'S FINALLY WORKING!!!" and "THE PATCH FIXED EVERYTHING! THIS IS AWESOME!!" and things of that sort... Reading through posts from people expressing joy that their game finally works. Being able to play though my game without having to worry about whether it'll crash or give me an Error Code 12. I hope those daydreams become a reality one day and we can all enjoy The Sims 3 as we were meant to.

I have the same dream. :(
  • Options
    yenialyenial Posts: 198 Member
    edited May 2013
    Chris719 wrote:

It's definitely a dream. Too impossible to be true.
  • Options
    SimmySimianSimmySimian Posts: 357 Member
    edited May 2013
    Chris719 wrote:

I have the same dream, man. It will be a great day. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Chris719 wrote:

I have the same dream, man. It will be a great day. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm checking everyday in hopes, too.
  • Options
    DizzyTricksterDizzyTrickster Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    It's honestly just shameful that they haven't at least communicated with us on what's going on. We are their customers, period. I know that I'm not buying anything more from the store or expacs until I can play for more than 30 minutes without crashing (I'm lucky in that at least I can save once or twice- it seems building new stuff is my ultimate crasher right now).
  • Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited May 2013
    It has now been ONE MONTH since I opened a case with EA customer support. Still no response from the people who are supposed to help.
  • Options
    SterredejongSterredejong Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Who else has opened a case about this? How is it going for them?
  • Options
    HarrysayswoofHarrysayswoof Posts: 7 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Have you seen the class action against SEGA for selling Aliens:Colonial Marines product that was not fit to play?

Pre-review copies and the adverts/trailers showed gameplay that isn't possible with the actual product.

With a lot of the Sims 3 products on Mac, much of it comes with compatibility issues. New EPs break previous patches to make the game game unplayable again.

Mis-selling?

If Toyota sold cars that were faulty, they would have to issues a recall and compensate customers.........oh, wait, that already happened.

Why does it not apply here with EA mis-selling a game as fit to play.

A friend of mine (on PC) says EA are not liable as one model of Mac differs to the next but, in my experience, Macs are far less customised than PCs but seem to have far more problems.

EA get the award for worst company, which seems a bit much but with their complete disregard for the Mac audience - i kind of see the point.

Class action anyone? Anyone out there a lawyer to get things started? Maybe the negative press would motivate them.
  • Options
    LadyLuck61687LadyLuck61687 Posts: 16 New Member
    edited May 2013
    candy8 wrote:
    I have been reading the Mac discussion thread for awhile reason I was planning on buying a MAC.

One thing I can say it probably would be a waste of money not because I think a Mac is bad for the game, but rather that the game is just plain bad.

If you are just looking to buy a mac to play the game, then yeah it may be a waste of money but to be honest, despite the hell this game has you suffer on a mac, I wouldn't trade my Mac in for the world. What I really want to do is trade my base game collector's edition sims game and get my money back because that I feel, was a waste of money. Clearly that will never happen.
  • Options
    joolieajooliea Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited May 2013
    yenial wrote:
    Lets not think that... Lets give it time (1-2 months) to see if a patch will be released to fix the problems.

Check my sig to see how long I've been waiting!

Chris719 wrote:

That's the only reason I come to the forums anymore. I'm always hoping for a fix.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    After posting here and seeing it's been five months since I've been able to play The Sims, and have had a case open about it for AGES, I decided to go back and make a new note in my case to again request a refund.

I want a refund for everything now, since I can't play anything. Especially since buying store content made my game less and less playable the more I bought.

But when I click on my open case, it acts like I requested to CLOSE the case. I can't view my cases at ALL. All I can do is close them, and no matter what I click, it tries to close them and gives me this:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CASE

By clicking on CLOSE, your case will be closed and an advisor will not contact you about this issue. Go back to the previous page if you do not want to close your case, or click OK to continue.

...If I click back, I don't get a new page or to see my case, I just see the same page. I'm not clicking OK for sure, I don't want to close my case!

This makes me so :(
  • Options
    yenialyenial Posts: 198 Member
    edited May 2013
    jooliea wrote:
    yenial wrote:

Check my sig to see how long I've been waiting!

I remember the time it wrote just "3 weeks" on your sig :D
  • Options
    SharmaBeeSharmaBee Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I too am having these problems with my MAC and Seasons! I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game sooooooooo many times! I love the game and am very upset, the seasons expansion was a gift, but I have spent alot of money and time on the game. It is wrong that they have no response to so many people! :cry:
  • Options
    frog7886frog7886 Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    My case has been opened since March 6th. They tried to close it 2 weeks a go in a hurry (I don't think they like having long things like that on their books). I've gotten it reopened again and its been "escalated" to whatever the next level is (experts?). I don't have a lot of hope for it to be truthful. They asked me to send a lot of info from my system information so I'm thinking they're just going to blame my mac when all is said and done. I've had bad companies before in the past I've dealt with, but I've never had one as bad as this - at least the others admitted problems and that they wanted to actually resolve them and showed signs of that.
  • Options
    JanilewJanilew Posts: 11
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad to see I'm not only who is having Mac problems. It all started when I installed Seasons. I constantly get an error saying that I have no disc inserted. I love me Mac, but for this game, it's just not worth the headache anymore. I ordered a Windows computer today. I'll use the Mac for other things. I'm just glad that the discs work with both platforms so I can reinstall everything on Windows.
  • Options
    littleactress3littleactress3 Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    For anyone who bought their discs from origin, there may be a glimmer of hope.

I got this email from them today:

"I appreciate your position, while the Sims 3 should be compatible with most Mac configurations, if you have already attempted all the appropriate troubleshooting I can only conclude that your hardware configuration is not very compatible with this particular Sims 3 expansion. Because we cannot replace or update the hardware at this time, I will be happy to offer you a refund on the Sims game or expansion that is causing the problem. Can you provide the Origin order number as confirmation?"

Sadly, I have not bought a single game or EP from origin directly, so I doubt they'll help me :cry:

You never know though!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    yenial wrote:
    I remember the time it wrote just "3 weeks" on your sig :D

Sad days. :(