Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many schools can I put in a neighborhood

Happychic101297Happychic101297 Posts: 1,002 New Member
I'm thinking of making a large county for my sims.
One that includes a city-suburb-country.
But in order to do that it will have to have at least two schools. Would most of sims get confused or would they go to the nearest location for school?

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2013
    Well not exactly - I have seen worlds with even 3 schools but if you do not assign a certain school to the sims they may choose to go to any one - just like when you send a sim for a job, where ever you take them for the job is where they will go to work, even if you world offers a half dozen of similar places to work, they will keep going to the one you first take them to unless you re-assign them to another. But what I do is each sim child in my world I will take and click on the school I want them to go to and click on the - pick after school activity, and choose one. That child will then go to that school. You do have to do every kid though. Like I thought I could pick just one kid to do that to in a household with 5 kids and teens, and it does not work that way - they might go to the school you picked or they might not. The only way to make sure is click as I said before for every single kid and teen. When a kid ages up, do the same thing before their first day of school.

Logically you would think they would go to the nearest but they rarely do. That house I mentioned with the 5 kids was 3 lots away from the school, yet they would get on the bus and travel all the way to downtown where the first school that was put in the game was. As that is the school they generally pick - is the first one you put into the game -which is why you need to pick the school by planning the after school activities.

Unless they have changed things - as I have not messed with any of the world since Supernatural came out - until this week - so I do not know if Seasons or Uni changed any of that, but that is the way it has worked since the after school activites started. Before that kids only generally went to one school and hardly ever would go to any other even if there were doorway jams getting in.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2013
    Currently, I have four schools in my world, and have had four schools for several incarnations of this world. The school assignment appears to be random, so your sim kids may not go to the closest school.

But this seems to mirror real life. In my real life town, kids do not attend the closest school. In fact, school placeement seems to be unrelated to population distribution. All of the kindergardeners go to one school. Grades 1-4 go to a neighborhood school which may or may not be the closest school. Grades 5-6 go to a central school. Grades 7-8 go to a central middle school and grades 9-12 go to a central high school. So transporting kids all over the place does not seem to be out of synch with the real life experience of many kids -- much to the dismay of th eir parents.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    tjstreak wrote:
    Currently, I have four schools in my world, and have had four schools for several incarnations of this world. The school assignment appears to be random, so your sim kids may not go to the closest school.

But this seems to mirror real life. In my real life town, kids do not attend the closest school. In fact, school placeement seems to be unrelated to population distribution. All of the kindergardeners go to one school. Grades 1-4 go to a neighborhood school which may or may not be the closest school. Grades 5-6 go to a central school. Grades 7-8 go to a central middle school and grades 9-12 go to a central high school. So transporting kids all over the place does not seem to be out of synch with the real life experience of many kids -- much to the dismay of th eir parents.

I see what you guys mean.
    Also it's very understandable that children would normally travel far in the real world. But I have lived in the suburbs for the remainder of my education and have gotten used to having children and teenagers go to school among their school districts. I wanted to incorporate that part of my life into my game and town. Perhaps one day sims will be able to do the same.
    Oh well, thanks for the answers guys!
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2013
    I may have mispoken here. As I stated in my original response, I have multiple schools in my world, which I have been playing off and on for several years. For the most part, the kids have been going to the nearest school. I really cannot recall any of the sims kids having long bus rides to the school.

I have also done this in other worlds with multiple schools, like Manustyle's NYNY world, again without noticing major problems.

That being said, I don't play with large families or kids all that much.

The same is not true for other locations however. I have had sims travel from one side of the world to the other to go to work, even though there are closer work locations. I guess the good news is, if the commute is too long, the sims simply teleport to their work location.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    tjstreak wrote:
    I may have mispoken here. As I stated in my original response, I have multiple schools in my world, which I have been playing off and on for several years. For the most part, the kids have been going to the nearest school. I really cannot recall any of the sims kids having long bus rides to the school.

I have also done this in other worlds with multiple schools, like Manustyle's NYNY world, again without noticing major problems.

That being said, I don't play with large families or kids all that much.

The same is not true for other locations however. I have had sims travel from one side of the world to the other to go to work, even though there are closer work locations. I guess the good news is, if the commute is too long, the sims simply teleport to their work location.

Oh I guess tele-porting wouldn't be so bad. But I feel that takes away from realism. As if teleporting from your house to inside the car isn't :wink: lol
    Thank you very much for the answer, great!
  • Options
    happyscrubhappyscrub Posts: 101
    edited April 2013
    tjstreak wrote:

I wouldn't give sims 3 a pass on that because there's a reason real life schools function like that. In sims 3 it just random chaos. In real life, school zones are laid out to try to evenly distribute races and income classes.
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 7,000 Member
    edited April 2013
    Happychic101297,

Its probably better if you just include one school. It doesn't let you choose which school to send the kids to.
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 7,000 Member
    edited April 2013
    tjstreak wrote:

Maybe, but people in real life don't have to deal with frame rate when not playing with a computer. Also in real life, even small towns are considerably more densely populated than the towns EA has created. Bridge port, despite the tall buildings has the population density lower than most of the world's smallest towns. The most densely populated map, I've ever played for the Sims 3 had around two hundred fifty sims on it. I would like them to put separate high schools and elementary schools in the game, accept for the fact that its hard enough for us to create maps that include everything in the base game and all the expansion packs released so far, and include enough sims so that it doesn't feel like a ghost town.

Unless you have enough sims living in your town that it starts to become common for you to come across more than two of them at a time on a community lot, other than the NPCs mixologists associate with the professional bars, the town feels really empty. having to include multiple schools would really make that harder to achieve. It would be nice through, if we didn't have to deal with that problem.