Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need a genius (you) to help out the idiot (me) MOD HELP

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited April 2013
    Kat2211,

It's sad that you had to post videos of the instructions I was giving her, however the last video showing how to install mods I would have left off. Why? There is other stuff she needs to check to be sure she has completely assigned the correct file type and not changed other files types that were previously read with notepad (i.e. .cfg) and that those programs still work correctly.

I have had other people do this before and have ended up having to uninstall / re-install a program application because "some" of the files the system was reading before won't read again.

If you had to post a video then the last thing this user needs to be doing is installing mods as that is the least of their problems and future problems to come.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    Kisky2002Kisky2002 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2013
    2w7pssj.jpg

I turned on the file extensions. I'm so sorry I'm wasting all of your time and probably making you frustrated with me. :/
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Kisky2002 wrote:
    [img]http://oi38.tinypic.com/2w7pssj.jpg "width=152" "height=156"[/img]

I turned on the file extensions. I'm so sorry I'm wasting all of your time and probably making you frustrated with me. :/
    This is what I was afraid of. Where is this file download on your computer? To the desktop or a folder. I need for you to change the view like in the video so we can see where this file is because something is wrong.

Yes I am frustrated and that usually does not happen.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    Kisky2002Kisky2002 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2013
    How do I make it a .rar type file or whatever? :(
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited April 2013
    You do not need to make it a rar. You probably downloaded it as a rar. Why don't you just go back and redownload it to your desktop, right click on that file using winrar, where it says to open with that is where you use winrar, and then extract it to your computer in the following folder selection order, when it asks you where to install to, go to my documents, then electronic arts, then sims 3, then mods then packages folder. If you do not have a mods or packages folder, then the first place you need to go is to
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Download framework set up there where it says in big blue letters Download

Follow the instructions there, but basically download it to your sims 3 folder, extract with winrar there, then go back to the mods, and follow the above instructions there. Don't even bother with the old mods you downloaded as heaven knows what condition they are in now.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    gayars wrote:
    You do not need to make it a rar. You probably downloaded it as a rar. Why don't you just go back and redownload it to your desktop, right click on that file using winrar, where it says to open with that is where you use winrar, and then extract it to your computer in the following folder selection order, when it asks you where to install to, go to my documents, then electronic arts, then sims 3, then mods then packages folder. If you do not have a mods or packages folder, then the first place you need to go is to
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Download framework set up there where it says in big blue letters Download

Follow the instructions there, but basically download it to your sims 3 folder, extract with winrar there, then go back to the mods, and follow the above instructions there. Don't even bother with the old mods you downloaded as heaven knows what condition they are in now.
    Please stop posting how to install mods!

She has changed some programs on her computer and that is what needs to be fixed first before she can do anything else.

For the love of God stop.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Kisky2002 wrote:
    How do I make it a .rar type file or whatever? :(
    Forget about this right now. Do not listen to anyone else or I'm going to stop with this and go do other things.

I need for you to follow instructions and forget about mods or cc because we need to make sure that your operating system is reading the file types how it is supposed to. You accidentally made changes to your computer that affects the computer itself and has nothing to do with sims.

Step 1.
    I need you to right-click on the start button and Open Windows Explore.
    24v18jb.jpg

Step 2.
    Now that you have Windows Explore open, I need you to click the arrow on Organize, go down to Layout, then turn on the Menu bar by checkmarking it. The menu should now be on in Windows Explore.
    124ac5e.jpg

Step 3.
    Now that the menu is on, I need you to go to View then change the view from whatever icon view you have to Details. This way you can see the Name and Type in the Library in columns.
    jkkdi1.jpg

Step 4.
    Again on the menu, I need you to click on Tools, then Folder Options. This will open the Folder Options pop-up.
    14tpo9t.jpg

Step 5.
    On the Folder Options pop-up, I need you to click the View tab so it is showing. You should already have "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked. I need for you to apply Details View to all folders so they show this way. Click on Apply to Folders, then click OK.
    34rhvug.jpg

Once you have done all of the above, post a screenshot of Windows Explore showing where this ani_Dexter file is located in your Document Library. I want to see the entire window with the folder structure and paths, not just the file itself.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited April 2013
    blunote00 wrote:
    Kat2211,

It's sad that you had to post videos of the instructions I was giving her, however the last video showing how to install mods I would have left off. Why? There is other stuff she needs to check to be sure she has completely assigned the correct file type and not changed other files types that were previously read with notepad (i.e. .cfg) and that those programs still work correctly.

I have had other people do this before and have ended up having to uninstall / re-install a program application because "some" of the files the system was reading before won't read again.

If you had to post a video then the last thing this user needs to be doing is installing mods as that is the least of their problems and future problems to come.

The only posts I've seen this user make are ones with links to other threads/videos, most of which have nothing to do with the original topic at hand. :?

Bumping this to see if the OP got anywhere with Blunote's instructions.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    blunote00 wrote:
    Kat2211,

The only posts I've seen this user make are ones with links to other threads/videos, most of which have nothing to do with the original topic at hand. :?

Bumping this to see if the OP got anywhere with Blunote's instructions.
    Well this is not a Mod topic anymore. This is a I need to make sure my Operating System still works as it should thread. Windows by default uses Notepad to read important file types on your computer [.i.e. (.bin), (.cfg), (.dll), (.ini), (.log), (.tag)] as well as a whole host of other file types. Those are just "some" of the file types in the Sims 3 folder under Documents. I don't even want to mention what is in the Program Files.

I need the OP to get the proper view of Windows Explore so we can continue to check the Associated File Types and that her Operating System is reading them "All" properly before anything else can be done. Otherwise, it's all pointless.

This is the very reason I posted why people should read and comprehend what they are doing in litabelaqua's How 2 NRaas threads. Where the heck are these people when it comes time to fix stuff like this? :x :evil:

All of the above should have been done in less than two minutes tops. I'm not going to take all of my time to fix this today, I have other things to do.

Sorry for the rant but I'm extremely annoyed and frustrated. :?