Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many people are NOT having problems with Uni?

Like the title says, anyone able to complete the University experience without problems?

The second time I played (first time the error was my fault) 2 older siblings were able to attend but only one managed to enter the stadium.

Sent their younger sister in solo. Figured I'd get her to do all the credits in 2 semesters. First semester went fine, but start of 2nd semester the game added a roommate to my household...uncontrollable and no icon, but kept getting her updates.

Then my sim was no longer able to greet new sims.

My sim was unable to build relationships no matter what I did.

Figured I'd just say the heck with it and get my sim graduated and get her the heck out of Uni!! She graduated with honors so I saved right after she exited the stadium :D:D:D BUT THEN..

The roommate the game put in my household now has an icon but can't get her to do anything.

Right before the time comes to go back to her town the whole game freezes.

I keep trying to get the game to finish this!! Once it looked like it was going to work, got the prompt that the term was finished, game zoomed to town view, and then NOTHING

I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day

Comments

• Options
    ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited April 2013
    Oh and one more thing! Right before the time to leave, the unplayable sim cancels out whatever she's doing and gets the "Run Away" order.

I totally relate to that sim, I kinda want to run away too. LOL
  • Options
    VivaLaCeeVivaLaCee Posts: 52
    edited April 2013
    I'm playing University Life with about 80 mods and over 10gb of cc and I've had NO problems at all. I've played 3 semesters so far and have not encountered any bugs. I never really experience any bugs with any expansion pack. When I do have problems it's usually do to non-updated mods.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    VivaLaCee wrote:
    I'm playing University Life with about 80 mods and over 10gb of cc and I've had NO problems at all. I've played 3 semesters so far and have not encountered any bugs. I never really experience any bugs with any expansion pack. When I do have problems it's usually do to non-updated mods.

Thanks for responding Viva. :) I don't use mods. I've wanted to in the past but when I saw how often you have to pull them out and update them I changed my mind. I'm a lazy player. LOL

I used to have a fairly bugless game, but recently it's become unplayable. Maybe I need a new computer.
  • Options
    blackwidowedblackwidowed Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2013
    Personally haven't had any real problems at all. I have, however, noticed the bill thing people were talking about, and sometimes when my sim orders a herbal tea/any drink from the barista, it disappears before they can drink it?

Other then that, nothing :) Love it so far.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Personally haven't had any real problems at all. I have, however, noticed the bill thing people were talking about, and sometimes when my sim orders a herbal tea/any drink from the barista, it disappears before they can drink it?

I'm so jealous!! :mrgreen: It looks like such a fun expansion, but I usually end up feeling frustrated.

Maybe I'll try switching towns...again. And see if a different town will have better luck? So far I've tried Monte Vista and Riverview.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited April 2013
    Would it really help you if I turned around and said I've had absolutely zero problems with the sim I sent through three two week terms and a one week term?

I grant you, it was a newly made sim, but still. I'm not sure the same could be said of my pre UL saves. I'll find out eventually. I doubt, unless it's twins or a combination husband/wife partnership, if I'd ever send more than one sim at any one time.

I'm sorry that you've had issues.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Arletta wrote:
    Would it really help you if I turned around and said I've had absolutely zero problems with the sim I sent through three two week terms and a one week term?

Well misery really doesn't love company, so yes, it does help to hear others enjoying the game. Tells me the problem might be my system.

I've been eyeballing the new Alienware gaming laptop so system problems might tip in favor of a new purchase. LOL I'm currently using the Alienware desktop, but it's 2 years old maybe getting outdated?
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited April 2013
    I've only sent one sim to college but she made it through with no problems. She did 2 terms of 12 credits and 1 term with 6 credits. She returned home each term with no issues. She graduated with no issues. She invited her college boyfriend for a visit with no issues and married him.

I do use Twallan's Overwatch and ErrorTrap mods. They make traveling safe with WA so maybe they help to prevent problems with UL too.
  • Options
    debrawolfsohndebrawolfsohn Posts: 408 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm not having problems with completing a semester. The only little glitch I have is the Mascot is hit or miss. Sometimes he shows up on a Sims lot & sometimes not.

When he doesn't show up I just go into the buy mode & get the University bag so my Sim can take the apptitude test. Other than the Mascot, the Sim takes the test...enrolls & travels to the University.

I also use a lot of MODS & have tons of CC...but luckily...University works fine.

Hope you can figure out the problem.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Arletta wrote:

Well misery really doesn't love company, so yes, it does help to hear others enjoying the game. Tells me the problem might be my system.

I've been eyeballing the new Alienware gaming laptop so system problems might tip in favor of a new purchase. LOL I'm currently using the Alienware desktop, but it's 2 years old maybe getting outdated?

I doubt it's your computer. UL is based on the WA travelling system. Unfortunately, it seems to be one of the glitchiest travlling systems. Add in the roommates as well and you've got a whole lot of things that can go wrong and apparently do.

Travelling can corrupt saves. Sounds to me like what's happened with your game. Make sure to keep your caches clear, save before travelling in either direction. Make two or three saves by renaming, not overwriting. Don't invite family to the graduation, get there early. If something goes wrong you can then revert back to an older save before the issues arose

There's a cache in your saves called traveldb that might be able to be cleared too. Not being technically minded I'd ask somebody in technical discussion if doing that was a good idea.
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm using Nraas Story Progression, Overwatch & Master Controller and no issues at all. The only issue I ran into was my sim didn't get to have a graduation because I chose to invite friends and family when I got the prompt. Second sim I sent, I didn't invite anyone and everything worked out fine.

The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes things drop out of queue which is annoying but not a big deal.
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    PeleRainPeleRain Posts: 111 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I am having some problems... but no problems with completing Uni.... my sim went through 2 semesters and graduated... went home and returned each time.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've only sent one sim to college but she made it through with no problems. She did 2 terms of 12 credits and 1 term with 6 credits. She returned home each term with no issues. She graduated with no issues. She invited her college boyfriend for a visit with no issues and married him.

I do use Twallan's Overwatch and ErrorTrap mods. They make traveling safe with WA so maybe they help to prevent problems with UL too.

I'm scared of mods. Well actually, that's incorrect. I'm scared of my ability to mess up. It's a talent really. I'd be totally fine if someone else could come to my place and install the mod in the right place. LOL I've heard what some of those mods can do to improve gameplay and would love to have it too.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm not having problems with completing a semester. The only little glitch I have is the Mascot is hit or miss. Sometimes he shows up on a Sims lot & sometimes not.

When he doesn't show up I just go into the buy mode & get the University bag so my Sim can take the apptitude test. Other than the Mascot, the Sim takes the test...enrolls & travels to the University.

I also use a lot of MODS & have tons of CC...but luckily...University works fine.

Hope you can figure out the problem.

Thanks Debra! I'm hoping so too.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Arletta wrote:
    Arletta wrote:

I doubt it's your computer. UL is based on the WA travelling system. Unfortunately, it seems to be one of the glitchiest travlling systems. Add in the roommates as well and you've got a whole lot of things that can go wrong and apparently do.

Travelling can corrupt saves. Sounds to me like what's happened with your game. Make sure to keep your caches clear, save before travelling in either direction. Make two or three saves by renaming, not overwriting. Don't invite family to the graduation, get there early. If something goes wrong you can then revert back to an older save before the issues arose

There's a cache in your saves called traveldb that might be able to be cleared too. Not being technically minded I'd ask somebody in technical discussion if doing that was a good idea.

After my first mishap of foolishly adding a roommate to my household and messing that game up royally, I came to the forums and began reading of some of the does and don'ts. When I started a new game in a new town I made sure not to add anyone to family and cleared my caches.

I'm going to start up another game in another town and use your tips of saving...but what do you mean renaming not overwriting??? I normally only "save" or "save and exit" is there another option I'm missing?
  • Options
    angldiorangldior Posts: 4,379 Member
    edited April 2013
    I just finished my first term and didn't have any problems. I started a brand new game instead of using one of my other saves to test it out. Hopefully next term will go smoothly too.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,438 Member
    edited April 2013
    I have only had trouble in one game with University, and that game was started before I installed University Life. All the games I started after, all played smoothly and no problems. But even then I still save like crazy because I'm afraid about the time I think all is ok, something wrong will happen.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Arletta wrote:
    Arletta wrote:

After my first mishap of foolishly adding a roommate to my household and messing that game up royally, I came to the forums and began reading of some of the does and don'ts. When I started a new game in a new town I made sure not to add anyone to family and cleared my caches.

I'm going to start up another game in another town and use your tips of saving...but what do you mean renaming not overwriting??? I normally only "save" or "save and exit" is there another option I'm missing?

'Save as'...name it as something else.
  • Options
    Trish1966Trish1966 Posts: 1,010 Member
    edited April 2013
    I haven't had any issues either, but I've never tried to have a roommate. Also, after I've gotten either my report card or graduated, I almost always drop out of university. You keep the report card and/or diploma. The only thing you lose is a little bit of money.

OP, most mods are extremely easy to use. If I can do it, anyone can do it. The easiest mods to use are Twallan's and the ones from TFM Naughty Sims Asylum. The hardest part is making sure you have the framework in the right place. After that, putting mods in and taking them out is really easy.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited April 2013

Haven't had the bill issue, but did notice the disappearing drinks which is sad. :( I graduated my first Sim from university, invited his college boyfriend Jeffrey Dean, got them married (had a small glitch where he didn't add to household but was able to correct with a mod) and now Jeffrey is back at University trying to do a Science/Medicine degree because he arrived with a LTW for surgeon even though he had a Fine Arts degree. :roll: (Only got a C in that -- obviously spent too much time partying with his frat brothers, so I've got him living on his own and studying a lot harder.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    boytypeboytype Posts: 18
    edited April 2013
    After reinstalling everything from scratch, every expansion and every stuff pack (minus Katy Perry) and a totally fresh start including all new neighborhoods and sims, and no mods or CC, I have finally managed to at least get a sim through a degree program.

However my game doesnt recognize the new Lot types AT ALL. You cant live in the dorms because they are zoned as Community (No Visitors). the Bowling ally, Comic Shop, and Coffee Shop are all just Community (Visitors Allowed) so noone goes to them any more then anywhere else. The Party Spots in the woods with the kegs and bonfires are totally unused and unvisited because they are the same. And the Class Activities dont work, just leaving the sims standing around waiting until the class is over. Also, they bills you leave Uni with when going home stay in your inventory forever and are unpayable.

But even with all of that, I have managed to get it to work some. I set the Dorms to residentials, set the community lots to more appropriate Venue and Late Night lot types, and made the wooded party spots into parks.

It absolutely does not work as intended, thats for sure. But at least i got 1 sim to get through.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited April 2013
    After reading so many posts about problems with the university, I did "save as" every time my sim went there again, so that I had an extra save of her every time she was home before and after each term. But surprisingly, I had no problems. Except for the bills, but considering I had no crowding issues, the roommates were capable enough to take care of them selves, so that no-one died, and my sim got her degree, I think the bills are just a minor annoyance, which we will hopefully get rid of with some future patch (also I started getting them even before I installed UL).

Also my sim was able to go steady with her boyfriend at the uni, and after graduation invite him over and get married.

So, my first experiment (four terms) at the university went fine :)
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    NxyDolliNxyDolli Posts: 269
    edited April 2013
    I've had virtually no problems with UL at the moment, though I did read somewhere that saving whilst at uni screwed up the game so I made sure I only ever saved once my sim was safe and sound back in their neighbourhood. Saying that, I did accidentally miss the graduation ceremony so one of my sims didn't get her extra trait or her degree, so didn't get any of the career perks. I was absolutely gutted :L
  • Options
    ladyloialladyloial Posts: 537 Member
    edited April 2013
    I can't say, I havn't had no problems, but I can say I've made it thru 3 graduations and am half way to getting all 6

not using any mods, I was gonna, but I just don't want to have to remove folders and keep up with their updates and all that

the worst glitches are
    the bills stuck in my inventory and
    I can't build from a empty lot in uni but fine everywhere else and can add on to dorms and premade houses just fine

I almost lost it all when she graduated business and she couldn't get in the door, even though I got her there early, had to exit and redo like 4 times before I finally got thru

hope you get yours fixed soon
    aaagXEr5xv_zps9aeuclrp.jpg
  • Options
    iSubz3r0oiSubz3r0o Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    First off Shellybelly I LOVE your name and your sim is so pretty:) I'm not having any problems with University, happy to say. There's little things that are more so annoying than anything else. Like a bunch of people crowding the doors, and the class schedule. It's like they come out just to go back in and there's a million sims crowding the doors lol. The only kind of glitch that I had was, my sim Roxanna went to a keg party at the frat house and I decided to have her study on the lawn with her skeletal bone structure object and when I tried to put it back in her inventory when she was done, it wouldn't go. It just stayed on the lawn. Which was no big deal because I just bought another one. I was surprised to see a lot of people's games going hay wire (I have mods in so I'm really shocked mine isn't acting up). I'm glad to say I'm not one of them, but I also feel bad for those with problems.