May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying UL today but feeling out of the loop

Does anybody else buy these exapnsions packs just because it's Sims 3? Lol. I started playing sims extremely late. Sims 2 came out a few short months after I started. So I followed every bit of info I could find for Sims 2 and all it's expansions. I attended after live Q&A I could and read the chat transcripts if I missed the chat or couldn't get on. Now with sims 3 I followed just as religiously up to a certain point, but I found that for the last few expansions I really have no clue about what's the deal with it except for what the name suggests, lol. I know absolutely nothing about UL except that it offers university again, I have no clue what else makes up the pack. And since I've been direct downloading all EP's that came after Ambitions I also don't have the little booklet that comes with it to read during installation so I know what's up.

What are your favourite moments, things, etc of UL? And while we are at it, when I download it tonight do I have to open my launcer and uninstall everything I added to the game or should just removing the downloads folder be enough?

Comments

• Options
    AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited March 2013
    Well, there is no little booklet anymore. So you aren't missing out on anything.

There's so much... I just love it all!!! The social network stuff is cool. And the phone camera is now like a normal camera, which is SOOO nice.
    Once a week your sim will attend a lecture which is basically an interactive class. You can have them take notes, ask questions or sleep through it. But you get to watch, which is cool.
    There are also class activities.

I just. I really like it. I can't even explain it. Maybe part of that is that it's like 5 am here.... Or because I just installed it yesterday. I don't know. But it's pretty awesome.

I didn't have any issues with store items, but I don't use cc so I wouldn't know if it caused issues there.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2013
    Before installing I would follow the instructions by Crinrict of how to prepare for Uni.

I don't use mods too often, and only recently installed Overwatch (right before patch 1.50) and the other mod to correct traffic in BP.

I removed the Mod folder from my game files, deleted my cache files and then patched with 1.50 Before installing Uni.Life. I played the game until it was released and then installed.

I haven't had any problems with it, and very few glitches but not game breaking.
    I didn't download updated mods as of yet due to I'm not having any problems with playing this one household and or a Sim returning to Uni several times to finish his degrees. So, why mess with something that is working is my thought about it.

This EP adds social groups to gameplay which each one offers perks for the new smartphone and social interactions.

I don't usually like for my Sims to be labeled and always have to see a label on their avatars, nor turn into a member of a group by just doing everyday stuff, however, the smartphone perks and or new social interactions might make that worth enduring in the long run.

I have ignored the labels on my Sims and just enjoyed the perks so far.
    However, I can see this might become annoying in a long venture of Sims always being labeled Nerd, Jock or Rebel the rest of their lives.

I think that might be over the top somewhat.

Even if you 'drop out' of a group by not doing anything to gain a level or to stay friendly with members of those groups..you will still always have the labels on their avatars when you mouse over them.

O.K. that might be the only bad thing I can see will be a problem for me later, once the 'new' has worn off this EP.

Other than that, it's a lot of fun, groups are fun for the moment, and my Sim being able to invite their college sweeties and friends back home is a big plus for me. I don't have WA installed so that was a huge plus for me to be able to do that.

I can have my Sims keep their sweethearts in college, invite them home to meet the parents and family and then send them on their way back to school while I grow up the rest of the family. That's pretty cool imho.

I think it is much more (played it several different ways) to send the Sim for only one week at a time, especially if you are playing a family.

That way you don't get bored it's over quickly for those that don't like college life, and you get to go home and have some group outings with the 'family' and work on those Sims for as long as you please until you decide it's time to go back to college.

I'm very happy they enabled 'apartments' in this EP but it is horribly glitched and probably better to stick with building apartments in LN instead of just setting buildings as apartment buildings because the door settings leave a lot to be desired.

It's one of the better EPs for TS3..and personally, from the ones I've played the best one.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited March 2013
    If you have mods remove the folder before updating and clear the caches. Never download any updates, SP's or EP's with mods or CC in your game. Of course, if you neither use mods or CC then you've far less to worry about. EA content is fine, so you don't need to worry if that's all you have ie store purchases.

As a precautionary measure I'd clear out your caches anyway. I always use a brand new sim/family to test with before using older saves with it, as problems seem to arise more from older saves. Don't quote me on that. Just personal preference and opinion more than anything.

If you have WA and have issues with your sims travelling to the locations provided, be aware that you could have issues with sims travelling to the uni world, also coming back.

The game play itself is a whole lot of fun. The pack itself for me rates up there with Seasons. There again, I'm more of a realist player, so it will.

If you go into dorms, know that the NPC roommates will be messy, untidy, unhygenic, will break things and set stuff on fire quite a lot. They might also have a tendency to die, though that wasn't something I experienced myself.

There always seems to be an NPC sim that throws almost nightly parties. If you only have one class with a two week term (12 credits) you'll have time to both party and study.

Your class performance meter will drop when you are not in class or using study related things. It's normal.

Shaking/slamming the vending machines and the murphy beds are dangerous. Approach them with caution, more so the murphy beds than the vending machines.

The barista bar seems to be slightly glitchy. Sometimes drinks you've ordered and paid for will disappear. I also had some issues with not being able to order food sometime, but it doesn't seem to be a common error, so that might just be me. Persistance pays off.

You can get money in two ways, should you run short. There are day job boards outside of each dorm where you can get a job that will bring in an income. You can also go to one of the uni buildings and ask for financial aid. Click around in map view, you'll find it. I'm just hopeless with names.

I hope you have a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    edited March 2013
    Download 95% complete :mrgreen: Was lucky today since the game is on sale. I deposited money to my account yesterday evening but it hasn't been updated yet, so if not for the sale I wouldn't have had enough. Can't wait to play, hoping I get it figured out.
  • Options
    AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited March 2013
    You'll do fine. Read through the in-game tutorial guides if you need to. Other than that you'll probably get it all figured out in no time.
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    edited March 2013
    This is probably the first EP that has me baffled. How do I get a decent aptitude test and credit rating? Must I study all skills even those not relevant to the degree I want? I don't want 3 or 4 degrees just one. Must I get kick influence every time I have a party? BTW, I got a plasma bug, awesome. Does anyone else feel the lightning has gotten more powerful since adding UL? U haven't had anyone hit yet, unfortunately, but the bolts are striking around my house something fierce.
  • Options
    Leah1980Leah1980 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2013
    It depends on what degree your getting.
    Say for example your getting a degree for science read the science and logic books. That helped my sim pass the aptitude test.

The lightning storms do sound louder or maybe thats just me. They scare the wits out of me when the lightning strikes. :P
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited March 2013
    This is, next to Pets, my favorite expansion pack so far. I basically just have my Sims build their skills at home and earn a little money strictly so they can go back to University again and again. The new bowling venue is really fun and I love the Student Union Building. The scientific toys my students get to play with are awesome! I love the different degrees and, well, just about everything about it! :)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited March 2013
    My first Sim did Fine Arts and it was a piece of cake overall -- I had 18 units going in since he was already an established sculptor, plus he had painting skills. Smartest thing I did though was to buy him a guitar and stick it in his inventory before he left; playing guitar both added to his Fun meter and increased his school performance. I had him play for an hour or two before the final exam (I'd send him to the Arts Building early) and he passed every class with flying colors (and graduated with a perfect GPA).

The new interactions are awesome -- love the Heat of the Moment Kiss the best. And the Romantic Picture option on the phone is really cute! (I need to upload my latest screenshots -- I have one where the photo is hanging over my Sim's bed.) Still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the pictures I took -- after his final exam I had my Sim take pictures with all his frat buddies. I wonder if they can be dragged into one of the digital photo frames...I'll have to try that out.

This pack has definitely expanded my play options -- seems like the packs are getting better and better as we progress. If UL is this good, can't wait to see what happens with Island Paradise. 8)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)