Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you choose names for your sims?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    morgandaniellexomorgandaniellexo Posts: 414 Member
    edited March 2013
    I use baby names that I've thought of in the past. I'll make a Sim first, then look at him/her and a name will normally come to me.

Like, if she's blonde and pretty with blue eyes...names like Molly or Ally will come to me.

If she's more exotic, something like Vanessa. They just come to me when I see the completed Sim. And, I take what I want them to do in life and their personality in account as well.

I probably overthink it, oh well. :)
    svnb6p.jpg
  • Options
    kusattakokoroxkusattakokorox Posts: 271 Member
    edited March 2013
    I was doing a world legacy at one point and would use a certain type (Native American) or country (Ireland, Japan, etc.) for the names of each generation. THAT was fun.

Right now, I'm using an alphabet type thing for my legacy. I'm attempting to use "normal" names until I need to branch out. Right now I'm on D, and darnit it's hard when you have 30+ sims - there just don't seem to be many names for some letters!

Before, I would just use baby names sites or names of people I knew or heard on the TV.
  • Options
    FlanberriesFlanberries Posts: 478 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Before, I use to google Japanese baby girl/boy names because I really like Japanese names. Now, I usually put in the names from my favorite idols or my favorite foods :thumbup:
  • Options
    Awaken_DreamerAwaken_Dreamer Posts: 308
    edited March 2013
    I dont like googling names for my sims or anything like that, so i always think very carefully for the names i will give my sims. However, lately i was spending way too much time thinking every new born's name, so, here's my little secret:
    I have a post-it in my wall, next to my desk and there i put all the current names i like. Sometimes they are made up, sometimes they are from books, and sometimes from tv shows.

Here's my actual post-it: Moriah, Yemi, Namarah, Anaka, Samara, Jaqueline, Rumple, Belle, Baelfire, Emma, Lilly, Larry, Skyler, Vanellope, Ji Yeon, Sayid, Bushra and Nuur.

As you can see, i dont like normal names XD (mine is horribly common)

• Options
    shadowcat85shadowcat85 Posts: 5,219 Member
    edited March 2013
    I used behindthename.com bc i had a scotish witch married to a japanese sim and couldnt think of any names from either country. They had a ton of cool names from all around the world and gave the meanings behind each name so i used that to fit a sims name to their personality had fun doing it too
    tumblr_inline_ne699tiMiG1r36c5t.gif

• Options
    daria_is_odddaria_is_odd Posts: 810 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I use the randomizer button
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,148 Member
    edited March 2013

I guess I can kind of relate to that. Except that I'm Finnish and I'd never ever give Finnish names for my sims. I play the game in English, because I just find Finnish names extremely boring. But then I love traditional English names, which I think would be those that are normal and boring for you :)
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    Solstice401Solstice401 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited March 2013
    I have no problem thinking of a first name but I definitely get stuck thinking of a good last name.
  • Options
    AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited March 2013
    I usually make a sim first, and then use the randomizer to find a first name. After I find the first name I write it down (especially if the spelling is unique) and then just keep clicking the random button to find a fitting surname.

I find that unless you are modeling a sim after someone, it really helps to make the sim before picking out a name.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,935 Member
    edited March 2013
    I am often thinking of good names for my sims. Anywhere I am any day or time of the day. This means I know so many really excellent and unusual names I can use, then I make my sim and my mind goes blank and I am back to sitting here working my way through the alphabet trying to think of a name, any name. Then I eventually come up with something I think will do and then sometimes I make a typo when naming them and they do end up with an unusual name.

There are lots of really excellent ways of doing it posted here though.
  • Options
    Awaken_DreamerAwaken_Dreamer Posts: 308
    edited March 2013
    kati77 wrote:

I guess I can kind of relate to that. Except that I'm Finnish and I'd never ever give Finnish names for my sims. I play the game in English, because I just find Finnish names extremely boring. But then I love traditional English names, which I think would be those that are normal and boring for you :)

Well, actually im spanish, but living in Australia; which means that both: english and spanish typical names bore me.
  • Options
    coocoosimcoocoosim Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2013
    My imagination has a plethora of normal to quirky names. Some real, some completely made up
    Let's Play The Goth Family, here!
    Watch The Bunker Challenge, here!
    AND while you're at it, here's my simblr! :D
  • Options
    JBAG521JBAG521 Posts: 2,783 Member
    edited March 2013
    I either use the randomise button in game, or flip to a random page in the baby names book I got from an op-shop 5 or 6 years ago specifically for this purpose :)