Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch 1.50-- has it helped your issues?

Comments

• Options
    dramaattinenpyllydramaattinenpylly Posts: 18
    edited February 2013
    Well I've only played for about half an hour (it's half past midnight in the UK) but it's already obvious that there's been a BIG improvement. Not only is the whole game smoother and faster, I was also able to make some pretty detailed changes to a house in buy/build, and play around with a few outfits in CAS. I then saved and quit successfully.

That's a major success for me. When I created the family I'm currently playing, about a week ago, I had to create the bare minimum in CAS (tastes, traits, physical appearance etc.) and then edit everything else using the dresser and mirror in game, because going anywhere near outfits for more than about 30 seconds was guaranteed to cause a crash. When I chose their everyday outfits, I had to change an item at a time (i.e. enter CAS, change T-shirt, exit CAS, save, quit, reload, enter CAS, change trousers etc.) and even then I had to change several items multiple times because of crashes.

When I wanted to redecorate the house yesterday, I could get maybe 3 minutes in buy/build before I had to save and quit to avoid a crash. I built the second floor about five times.

There was absolutely NO WAY I could've entered CAS, fiddled around, left CAS, entered buy/build, used create a pattern and bought a few things, played for 10 minutes and then quit without crashing.

The major test for me will be how my neighbourhoods behave. For a while now, they've become unplayable after about 2 sim weeks, and I've had to either move my sims to a new neighbourhood, or save them to the bin, delete the neighbourhood, and then start a new game in the same neighbourhood, and move the sims back in. Considering one of my sims is in politics (and therefore has to have loads of friends for his charisma skill) it's a miracle I didn't put my foot through my computer monitor. I had to keep rebuilding relationships I'd lost. We'll see whether this patch has fixed that in time.

As for the other more occasional errors, like Exception Raised, I'll have to wait and see. But certainly, for now, it's considerably better than it has been for months.

Annoyed though I am that it took this bloody long for the patch to come out, and for EA to bother doing anything at all for Mac users in particular, right now, I'm one happy simmer :D

Edit:
    Having read through what everyone else has posted, I just wanted to say how immensely sorry I am that it appears not to have fixed anything for a lot of you. I really, really know the fury that comes with your game not working. It's perfectly possible that my game will inexplicably break again soon (it wouldn't be the first time) but in the meantime, I really hope EA can get their s*** together and treat their customers fairly, and with respect. It's massively unfair that this stuff works for some people and not for others, seemingly at random.

What kind of Mac (and specs) do you guys have who has some improvement along this patch? Is it even important detail? Just don't know if i should patch or not..
  • Options
    FantabestFantabest Posts: 638
    edited February 2013
    Haha, how ironic that they delay the mac patch because they want it to work perfectly for us when it actually f**ks up some people's games more :roll: The fact that some people's games have been improved and that others' are just worse is pretty interesting, what could've gone wrong there?

I, too, have the problem with the patch downloading for a while and then quitting, so after posting this I'm going to start looking for the Super patch (if any of you could link me to it, I would appreciate it a lot!). However, you might have to wait a while for my post about how my game turned out since I'll be skiing all day.

To those whose game isn't working after the patch: Do you have any mods installed that are not updated? That usually causes issues within the game.
  • Options
    markydeemarkydee Posts: 1,029 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Maybe they're still making the patch to fix these issues? Maybe. I dunno, the fact that they didn't release new patch notes that tell that it improves gameplay for Macs and Seasons probably means that? I mean when they fixed the whole hoopla with OS X Lion before, they released a Mac specific patch only, so here's to hoping that they do the same... Ugh. BUT this is seriously taking way too long now. :x

I also just tweeted a simguru about a totally different issue with macs (the fall graphics glitch) and he says the people working on macs may know this specific problem already. I didn't ask about the crashing though coz he didn't answer me the last couple of times I asked.

But the fact that he said that the mac peeps over at EA "may" already be aware of the blocky graphics issue sends me a positive sign... maybe? :?
  • Options
    Kra000Kra000 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited February 2013
    So far it looks like it has solved my issues of crashing. However, my problems only came with Seasons after the store patch - or if I kept testingcheatsenabled true on for to long.
  • Options
    Margyb9Margyb9 Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    :evil:
    Well, I downloaded the patch because I could't load Aurora Skies, which I paid for, without it. My game, which was playable with NO crashes, now won't load at all. I get all the intro (with an added "Maxis") logo, and when it got to the part where I should see the Main Menu, I first got a disk authorization message.

Tried again to launch the game, got to the same place and got another message about some debug. Third time I tried, it gets to the exact same place and CRASHES! I now can't play the game at all!!! What is going on? I'm so mad about spending my money to purchase content that I can't install because there isn't a Mac patch. Then when it finally comes out, it causes my previously ok game to become UNPLAYABLE!! I haven't installed any more Eps because I not going to waste any more money on this crappy product.
  • Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2013
    Tried out 1.50. Played in Aurora Skies for an hour and a half; I was so excited because I wasn't the getting the usual signs of distress. Decided to save, then quit before problems started. The game crashed without saving. This is the first time it craps out with the "exception raised" bit on a save, usually I have Error 12s when it crashes at save. Ugh.
  • Options
    bananaholicbananaholic Posts: 4,314 New Member
    edited February 2013
    updated, my game is still crashing.. EA, karma is a *****.
  • Options
    ilikeskittlesilikeskittles Posts: 966
    edited February 2013
    Has it hell, it's still crashing just like before. In fact, it even crashed slightly earlier than it did before.

But honestly, I don't give a **** anymore. EA's not getting another penny off me whether they fix this issue or not, so honestly I'm passed the point of caring now.

No wonder EA were voted the worst company. In my opinion they should be sued for millions for lying on their products, 'compatible with MAC OS' :roll: Yeah right, don't make me laugh.
  • Options
    BasicBrittBasicBritt Posts: 11
    edited February 2013
    My game crashes after not even 20 minutes of game play now... I'm irritated.
  • Options
    MrsCamuiMrsCamui Posts: 41 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Took 4 attempts to get the download to even work, then I was able to play for over an 1:30min which is a HUGE improvement. I was able to make a couple in CAS which I haven't been able to do at all since 1.48/1.49 patch that screwed up my game. I started making a house for them however, at about the 1:45min mark the game crashed on me, and OF COURSE the crash report said it was because of Cider (just like every other crash report I have had). So clearly there has been an improvement for me, and I may just have to save more often, however the game still shouldn't crash! Before patches 1.48/1.49 I never had an issue with the game at all, even after installing seasons. So common EA we are getting there, you just have to fix ****** cider! I also noticed the game still ran really slow and laggy, which again was NEVER a problem before 1.48/1.49 patch. So its EA's patches that screwed up my game, I'm certain at this point, and now their patches barely fix it.

And to everyone else still having issues :( I wish you luck and that you can play again soon or that we can play normally at all again soon. Till that point EA you don't get another penny from me! I want my game working normally again!
  • Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited February 2013
    I have to vote that so far the patch is working for me. I have to try it out on some of my games that tended to be very glitchy and see if it makes a difference but so far, so good.

Thanks, EA.
    h2xmsbl]
  • Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2013
    Well this is new. Thanks 1.50.

gs2WJs7.png

I had to force quit after 20 min. of trying to wait it out. I had a fresh game I had only played for an hour.
  • Options
    MelissaNicoleMelissaNicole Posts: 16
    edited February 2013
    My game was actually playable before this patch. It would crash to desktop normally after about an hour, but at least I could play it. Now, if I'm even lucky enough to get it to load, it is beyond slow and glitchy. I get invisible sims, and the screen freezes constantly. I only have overwatch, error trap, and woohooer installed and all are updated to the 1.50 versions.

Downloading this patch was a big mistake for me. Looks like I need to do a clean wipe and a reinstall at this point. :(
  • Options
    radgyleradgyle Posts: 6 New Member
    edited February 2013
    So here is my story...

I was excited to see the patch available to me today and started to install it....it goes through the download then tells me it needs to change permissions so give it the go ahead...then it says
    "Some of the files have been modified! Please re-install"

So I came to the forums to see whats going on. So far I havent seen anyone having the same issue as me, unless I am misunderstanding someone. However, after reading through some posts it became clear that I do not want to install this patch right now as it could make "playing" even more difficult and in some cases impossible!

I was so excited about University, and now I KNOW I will NOT be buying it. I got skewered on pre-ordering Seasons as a Mac download from Amazon....something that didn't even exist but was being sold!

EA you are a disgusting company that cares only about money. When I think about how much cash I have given to you it makes me sick. You are digging your own hole by constantly favoring the PC users. I suggest you plan a way to win the Mac users back, not that you ever really had us.

I used the sims to relax and de-stress but since switching to a Mac it has the exact opposite effect(not that it ran much better on my PC but crashing wasn't an every 20 minute event). I also think its a bit odd that the sims is the ONLY thing that has ever caused a crash/freeze on my Mac. I seriously hope you will take our issues to heart and stop releasing new content/expansions/premium/worlds/stuff packs before making sure the last one if working for EVERYONE including us beloved Mac folk!
    Thankfully Blizzard gave me(and everyone else they lost last year) Diablo III for free and I am playing that waiting for this issue to be fixed. EA could learn something from Blizzard....not that Blizzard is much better, but they found a way to get people back!
  • Options
    CracawetteCracawette Posts: 35 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I was in CAS and my Sim became black with weird eyes. It was a new game, a new town. I made 2 Sims and when I started to make an other one.... you know the story.

DO YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ??

I'm so tired of this mess. Really. I don't understand.

EDIT : I have the 1.50 patch.
  • Options
    lightmidnight117lightmidnight117 Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    I've been playing issue-free with the 1.42 patch, and I updated to the 1.50 patch today. I played for an hour before I had any real issues, though when I first started the game up, it told me I had "unofficial game modifications" and asked if I wanted to quit. I said no, and the game came up and I played. I'm currently repairing permissions to see if that does anything, because it did WONDERS for my game last time I had trouble.

A few things I really don't like - when I'm turning my screen to view at a different angle, it moves SO much more slowly than before. And while it's a pretty cool view, it's annoying that I can't move it faster!! And the colors on the mood bars have changed slightly, it gets black when it's not full all the way. I'm not sure if it's just my game, but regardless, I hate it!!

I feel very lucky that I was at least able to play for an hour, and I hope we can get a BETTER fix soon!!!!

Good luck, guys!!
  • Options
    NanatoriumNanatorium Posts: 3,445 Member
    edited February 2013
    For those of you who have updated to patch 1.50, can you clarify whether or not you updated from the launcher or via the superpatch?

Then let us know if your are or are not having any issues.
    I've been playing issue-free with the 1.42 patch, and I updated to the 1.50 patch today. I played for an hour before I had any real issues, though when I first started the game up, it told me I had "unofficial game modifications" and asked if I wanted to quit. I said no, and the game came up and I played.

This message will come up if you have any mods installed that are not updated to the latest patch. What mods are you using?
    I'm not sure if I'm having these issues because I downloaded the patch and then installed Seasons. I got some weird message when trying to install saying that the patch might be too recent?

That's because you installed Seasons *after* updating to 1.50. Seasons is technically an earlier version (1.47 or 1.48, I can't remember which) so that's why you're getting that message. It's not a major issue.
  • Options
    cabaretchatnoircabaretchatnoir Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hi. i can't even open the launcher it goes says there is an unknown error and then closes.
  • Options
    Samalama_48Samalama_48 Posts: 52 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Hello everyone! This is my update on the 1.50 patch.

I downloaded it yesterday and then I installed seasons right after it. Yesterday my game was unplayable. The "disc authorization failure" message appeared every time I tried to start my game and so I gave up after like seven times.

HOWEVER, TODAY....

I successfully was able to play seasons. I played for about an hour and a half. At the start of the game, it was slow but it improved the more I played the game. I only froze completely about two times and it lasted about seven seconds. BUT apart from this, my game was fully playable! I played through summer and when it started raining, there was no lag or any freezing.

So far, so good! :)
  • Options
    renske1989renske1989 Posts: 14
    edited February 2013
    After al the negative post, here is a positive one. Before this patch I had al kinds of problems and even re installed everything twice. Eventually I was able to play the game with just ambitions and generations EP, without updating. Every time I tried to update I got the message that some of my files were changed and that I had to re-install the update.

Today I downloaded the superpatch (or something, I've forgotten the name) and with that managed to do update 1.50.
    After this I've installed al my other EP's (world-advantures, pets, supernatural and seasons) and most of the free stuff from the store and the game worked! I've play for about 3 hours and made an new sim, changed a world and build and decorated a house. I haven't played any sim-time yet, but everything is working super smooth.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I live in the Netherlands, not in the US.

Good luck to all who still have problems with the game.
  • Options
    simmemonstersimmemonster Posts: 12 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Great. Re-installed all games, still crashes..

ho5sMUN.jpg
  • Options
    lightmidnight117lightmidnight117 Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    Nanatorium wrote:
    For those of you who have updated to patch 1.50, can you clarify whether or not you updated from the launcher or via the superpatch?

Then let us know if your are or are not having any issues.
    I've been playing issue-free with the 1.42 patch, and I updated to the 1.50 patch today. I played for an hour before I had any real issues, though when I first started the game up, it told me I had "unofficial game modifications" and asked if I wanted to quit. I said no, and the game came up and I played.

This message will come up if you have any mods installed that are not updated to the latest patch. What mods are you using?

I've updated most of my mods already, but I'm double checking the rest as I speak. I don't think that's what crashed my game, but hopefully this'll work!
  • Options
    BlyssciaBlysscia Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm very confused.
    I'm playing on an imac and I've been able to play Aurora Skies since the day it was released.

I still have not gotten a prompt from the launcher to download 1.50 and I would really like the update.
  • Options
    erowland93erowland93 Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    Hello! I updated through the launcher, and it worked the first time! I played for about 3 hours today on my Macbook without any problems. 1.50 has fixed a LOT for me (knock on wood). I am sorry to hear that all of you are having problems. Here are the fixes so far:
    -Played three hours straight without any crashes or error messages
    -No lagging

Those were the only problems I had to begin with, too!
  • Options
    ValkeiriaValkeiria Posts: 4 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Finally got 1.50 to download. I had to uncheck my automatic download on the launcher for it to come up! <flails> I'm running Snow Leopard right now on a mini mac but I'm getting a new imac in a few weeks and I'm planning on running bootcamp with windows. 1.50 helped a little with the black blotches but the rendering is still really slow and I am still getting the same "exception error" do you wish to debug message. It is very frustrating spending so much money on a game and having it crash every 45min. I've learned to save after doing a couple of tasks because I know if I go too long I will lose everything I've done. We all know how long the saves can be. Hopefully with the new iMac it will run more smoothly. Faster drive, better video card and 16gigs of ram. We will see. For now, 1.50 didn't really wow me. I did do a clean install removing all the com.transgames files, reinstalled everything in order downloading from Origin. I have all the EP's and SP's and I made sure each on was patched. Seems to me EA can get a few Mac guru's to work on these issues being the cash cow that these games are. :P