Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When Quitting Your Career. . .

Hello All,

My Sim is a Star News Anchor - level 10 of Journalism career, and I would like her to start a family with her husband. I know that she will get some time off work for maternity leave, but I am considering simply quitting her job and (maybe) coming back to it later. If I quit, will she start at level 1, somewhere in the middle, or be boosted right back to level 10?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ShadowShadow Posts: 3,315 New Member
    edited August 2009
    dlegrow wrote:
    Hello All,

My Sim is a Star News Anchor - level 10 of Journalism career, and I would like her to start a family with her husband. I know that she will get some time off work for maternity leave, but I am considering simply quitting her job and (maybe) coming back to it later. If I quit, will she start at level 1, somewhere in the middle, or be boosted right back to level 10?

Thanks!

If she quits, she will have to start over at level one.
  • Options
    dlegrowdlegrow Posts: 347 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Alright, thanks Shadow :)

That is kind of frustrating though...
  • Options
    New_RoostermanNew_Roosterman Posts: 402 New Member
    edited August 2009
    dlegrow wrote:

True. You will find though thaty babies need regular attention so yiou might be better off having one of your sims become stay at home parents. Also when they max out in a career your sim may get the "Quit Job" wish - both of my sims did. Babies require regular attention and some of the babysitters are very ordinary looking after bubs.

Toddlers don't require as much attention once they are potty trained, but like babies cannot be left at home alone.

Thus unless you want the whole parenting experience once the baby is born use a birthday cake to age it up. You can age it up 2 stages (i.e. baby -> toddler -> child) using 2 birthday cakes but you need to have a "rest day" between using cake #1 to cake #2. This would reduce the neede to have any of your sims stay at home.

Otherwise your sim might decide to quit, bring up baby, and then start a new career. Just a thought. :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    dlegrow wrote:

True. You will find though thaty babies need regular attention so yiou might be better off having one of your sims become stay at home parents. Also when they max out in a career your sim may get the "Quit Job" wish - both of my sims did. Babies require regular attention and some of the babysitters are very ordinary looking after bubs.

Toddlers don't require as much attention once they are potty trained, but like babies cannot be left at home alone.

Thus unless you want the whole parenting experience once the baby is born use a birthday cake to age it up. You can age it up 2 stages (i.e. baby -> toddler -> child) using 2 birthday cakes but you need to have a "rest day" between using cake #1 to cake #2. This would reduce the neede to have any of your sims stay at home.

Otherwise your sim might decide to quit, bring up baby, and then start a new career. Just a thought. :-)

I would like to have the whole parenting experience, which is why I'm considering quitting her job. I think I'm going to play for a little while without the children, work on writing some more best sellers (which can be a decent-paying career on its own), become partners of a couple businesses, and build up some household funds. After that, they should be good to go, and then I will likely do what you suggest - bring up the children, and then start a new career. I'm super excited! :lol:
  • Options
    crazybadazycrazybadazy Posts: 1,144 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I don't think she will be able to.
  • Options
    DanceofmasksDanceofmasks Posts: 1,301 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Well, if she decides to be a baby factory, she'll never have to go back to work.
    As in, get pregnant again just as maternity leave runs out.

That way, she can stay at home, and get paid for it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't think she will be able to.
    Hmm? She won't be able to what?

Well, if she decides to be a baby factory, she'll never have to go back to work.
    As in, get pregnant again just as maternity leave runs out.

That way, she can stay at home, and get paid for it.
    This is a smart idea, Danceofmasks. I will definitely take this into account. Does anyone happen to know how long maternity leave is? (I can't seem to find the exact number anywhere...)
  • Options
    New_RoostermanNew_Roosterman Posts: 402 New Member
    edited August 2009
    dlegrow wrote:
    This is a smart idea, Danceofmasks. I will definitely take this into account. Does anyone happen to know how long maternity leave is? (I can't seem to find the exact number anywhere...)

You get 4 days off prior to the birth, and then a week or so after birth if my memory serves.

p.s.

For more info about pregnancies try the following -

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Pregnancy

No specific info given about maternity leave though.
  • Options
    Nevermore77Nevermore77 Posts: 115 New Member
    edited August 2009
    You could take the music carrier and become a rock star; they set their own hours and work on their own terms.

Once you become a rock star all you have to do is do performances’ and autograph sessions and you set the time you want to do those.
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited August 2009
    Don't have her quit until she has to go back to work. She will have days off after the babies are born. I believe until they become toddlers.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    vidkid20vidkid20 Posts: 3,735 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Both of my sim parents are working and doing pretty good. The father is a cook and the mother is in the journalist field. They kinda take turns and I rarely call a babysitter. I don't know how I do it but I do. I let them sleep after work while the kids are sleep and sometimes when their playing. I make sure the kids' bars are green first before letting them sleep. Anyway they have two kids, the boy is a child now and the girl just grew into a toddler! Thats all they going have though so I'm hoping both them reach level 10 soon. Dads almost there so now I gotta work wit the Mom alittle more. Both of them not even adults yet, still young adults. But I do have the aging on long. I did think about making Mom quit but I really want to see her reach level 10. I think its lame you have to start over when going back to work after quititing when you have experience. I figure so. I'm glad I didn't try it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    dlegrow wrote:

You get 4 days off prior to the birth, and then a week or so after birth if my memory serves.

p.s.

For more info about pregnancies try the following -

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Pregnancy

No specific info given about maternity leave though.
    A week (after the birth) is generally what I have been getting from other sources as well. Also, that Wiki is quite helpful about everything - I have used it many times. Thanks for the link! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You could take the music carrier and become a rock star; they set their own hours and work on their own terms.

Once you become a rock star all you have to do is do performances’ and autograph sessions and you set the time you want to do those.
    Unfortunately, I didn't know about this until just recently. It's a good idea, but I'm not really interested in climbing another corporate ladder just yet, so I will probably leave this for another Sim. Also, her life goal was to be in Journalism (which she has fulfilled now), so I will probably just keep her there for as long as possible. :)

vidkid20 wrote:
    Both of my sim parents are working and doing pretty good. The father is a cook and the mother is in the journalist field. They kinda take turns and I rarely call a babysitter. I don't know how I do it but I do. I let them sleep after work while the kids are sleep and sometimes when their playing. I make sure the kids' bars are green first before letting them sleep. Anyway they have two kids, the boy is a child now and the girl just grew into a toddler! Thats all they going have though so I'm hoping both them reach level 10 soon. Dads almost there so now I gotta work wit the Mom alittle more. Both of them not even adults yet, still young adults. But I do have the aging on long. I did think about making Mom quit but I really want to see her reach level 10. I think its lame you have to start over when going back to work after quititing when you have experience. I figure so. I'm glad I didn't try it.
    That is how I used to play the original Sims. :lol: It worked decently, but I'm trying a different technique for The Sims 3. I have aging turned off until both parents reach level 10 careers, have a decently-sized house, and enough (ie. lots!) of household funds. Then I will turn aging on (on epic lifespans so that the children have lots of time to develop friendships) and start the family. After the family is established, I'm not sure what I will do; probably just leave aging on. It is the first time I have tried this, so we'll see how it goes...
  • Options
    vidkid20vidkid20 Posts: 3,735 New Member
    edited August 2009
    vidkid20 wrote:
    dlegrow wrote:
    That is how I used to play the original Sims. :lol: It worked decently, but I'm trying a different technique for The Sims 3. I have aging turned off until both parents reach level 10 careers, have a decently-sized house, and enough (ie. lots!) of household funds. Then I will turn aging on (on epic lifespans so that the children have lots of time to develop friendships) and start the family. After the family is established, I'm not sure what I will do; probably just leave aging on. It is the first time I have tried this, so we'll see how it goes...
    I'm kinda scared to turn aging off in this sims and epic lifespan might be too long but the way your doing might work out. I have to try that someday. Anyway the tennique I'm using is same as I did sims 2. I'm surprise it's working so well. Even in sims 2 I eventually made one parent quit. Only thing though using this technique, the parents don't get alot time together even though thier relationship meter still high. They rarely get to be lovey dovey or woohoo now. Their son turned into child (where I last saved) so maybe they will. humm.... sounds like real life. lol :-o
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    vidkid20 wrote:
    vidkid20 wrote:
    dlegrow wrote:
    I'm kinda scared to turn aging off in this sims and epic lifespan might be too long but the way your doing might work out. I have to try that someday. Anyway the tennique I'm using is same as I did sims 2. I'm surprise it's working so well. Even in sims 2 I eventually made one parent quit. Only thing though using this technique, the parents don't get alot time together even though thier relationship meter still high. They rarely get to be lovey dovey or woohoo now. Their son turned into child (where I last saved) so maybe they will. humm.... sounds like real life. lol :-o
    To be honest, I don't remember what I did in TS2 (even though it wasn't that long ago..). It does sound like real life, which is generally what I strive for in The Sims. I know I'm completely defying that by turning aging off, but hey, Sims never aged in the original, so whatever. :P I'm leaning towards the epic lifespan so that toddlers get the most time to be taught to walk/talk, children get the most time to meet people at school, and so on. I may find that they get TOO much time, in which case, I can switch to long lifespans. Also, for my next game, I may just jump right into things the way you did. It's been pretty hard to be so patient waiting for them to advance in their careers, etc.
  • Options
    SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Maternity leave is 4 workdays at Normal lifespan. That can give you as much as 4 weeks of paid vacation, depending on your work schedule. I don't know if it's the same for other lifespans.

You should get the Vacationeer reward if you want more time off without losing too much from your job performance.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright :) I'm assuming that the leave would be extended for longer lifespans, considering that all the stages are extended. I will be playing on Epic, so perhaps I will come back to write a reply to let everyone know how it plays out. I am still seriously considering just quitting the job if maternity leave turns out to be a joke. My Sim is making just about $4000 in book royalties a week (which I plan to double if I can), and is a partner of the Hospital ($6000/week). Plus, hubby is level 10 Athletic (over $10000/week I'm pretty sure), so they definitely have enough dough. The only thing I'm thinking is that it will be a pain to start back at level 1 if she quits and then wants to go back to her job later (because she is level 10 as well). Anyway, yeah, I'll let you know how it pans out. :)
  • Options
    Staple_SaladStaple_Salad Posts: 474 Member
    edited August 2009
    Babies really don't take that much work.

In the family I'm playing right now, my dadsim is level 10 in law enforcement, my momsim is level 10 in music (hit movie composer). They've had two kids, one before they were level 10, the other after. Both learned to walk, talk, and potty as toddlers. And the toddlers also got a lot of books read to them to be super smart with. Actually, the one daughter that's a teenager now earns about 1k a week in book royalties.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It sounds like you get maternity leave for the "newborn" stage of life, and then go back to work once your child becomes a toddler? It doesn't completely surprise me that you would be able to handle the jobs during the toddler stage, as they tend to be much more self-sufficient than a newborn.

Thanks for your help, everybody, it's made me much more at ease to start the family.
  • Options
    MzThornMzThorn Posts: 383 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I play on epic lifespan, and you get the exact same amount of maternity leave; 4 working days.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MzThorn wrote:
    I play on epic lifespan, and you get the exact same amount of maternity leave; 4 working days.
    That seems odd to me...I'm surprised :hunf:
  • Options
    ElliewaElliewa Posts: 269 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I've never had to start right at the bottom on a career having been on it previously unless my sim was really low down to begin with, they normally go back in maybe like 2 or 3 levels below the one where they left for me.

Definitely wait until after maternity leave to quit though cause you get paid :)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Elliewa wrote:
    I've never had to start right at the bottom on a career having been on it previously unless my sim was really low down to begin with, they normally go back in maybe like 2 or 3 levels below the one where they left for me.
    I'm getting so many mixed answers for this, it is frustrating! I think you may be right: as long as your Sim is high enough in the career (above level 5, say), they will return to the job a few levels below what they left at. Personally, I would be relieved to find out that I start back at level 5 (even though that is a huge blow to the Sim ego after coming from level 10...it's better than starting back at level 1). Also, I'm thinking that--if you don't start back at level one every time--the way your Sims leave the job in regards to performance is a factor that helps determine what level you come back to.
  • Options
    LaurenSynclairLaurenSynclair Posts: 103 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hi :) I am pretty confused atm. When playing sims 3 a while back, i decided to quit my job to focus on the family accpect of things, and when i rang i got the pop up saying are you sure you want to quit your job, sarah will be able to carry on where she left off. But reading all these comments has made me wonder weather i miss read, but i am pretty sure that that's what it said!
  • Options
    MzThornMzThorn Posts: 383 New Member
    edited August 2009
    dlegrow wrote:
    MzThorn wrote:
    That seems odd to me...I'm surprised :hunf:
    Nothing about pregnancy scales with lifespan. The life stages may be longer, but pregnancy is still only 3 days (including morning ********) and maternity is only 4 working days.