Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Think Kits Are Affecting The Release of Other DLC?

Do You Think Kits Are Affecting The Release of Other DLC? 217 votes

Yes
57%
auroraael14catmom1987Simsprocfunrudy8292BreeSashaIcewolfIrishSimmer21bandit5alexspoom13alan650111Cabelle1863CamkatbekiPlayerSinger2010suetoopBunderraghiliejustChrisUkNyxLunaStarheiblume 125 votes
No
26%
crocobauraBluegayleCK213JadeleineMichelleWjeLlyBeAn1573danacnbrettncisGibbs02SnuffyBucketBeardedgeeksimgirl1010friendlysimmersSavorySageg01denswanluthienrisingloubyloulougoodcakebaker62CopperBoltKennziKaigeKirbySkywalker 57 votes
Other/Unsure
16%
EvvieSimmerrudolphaAbsafraginlootlyshadyladynzIsb917JestTruRamblineRoseGemmie12EmmaVaneSweetieWright_84Babci219LatinaBunny83bienchenEnkiSchmidtRedShoe7DaniRose2143Saturn830HayleeSimssuperkyle221Allinsimstime 35 votes

Comments

• Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Other/Unsure
    I'm not so sure that kits are affecting the release of other DLC.

My theory is that they have moved a good portion of the different teams over to work on TS5 and they're running on a skeleton crew and kits are an easy way to still produce content to keep people interested without needed an entire team working on actual gameplay aspects.

Now if the question had been:

"Do you think the minimal amount of content we've been getting lately is due to TS4 starting to wind down?" then I would have voted YES!

I'm thinking similarly. Not that kits are necessarily affecting other releases, but that they could well be an indicator of how little other DLC there is to release. That's not really surprising in any game that's aging.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    Yes
    If that is true, what happened to SPs? I would personally rather see at least one or two good SPs like Paranormal per year, instead of the two (or more) kits per quarter the devs seem to be pushing out lately, especially since so far, there has been only one gameplay kit.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2022
    No
    No. I feel pretty strongly about this but unless I go to the Sims studio I can't say this is fact.
    But I believe it's not replacing anything. It's filling in the gaps. This all came about once the pandemic hit. It has affected everyone and everything as far as I know. People working for home will never be as affective as working at work, especially on something like this that's very complex and requires a lot of collaboration. So many home distractions too and they have kids. I believe the whole pandemic set their plans and schedule back. Plus who knows what's going on internally at the company? Short staff? EA problems? Lay offs?
    Like it could be so many things at play like any other company. The Sims takes a lot of planning ahead to make big packs.
    People want them to churn out big packs and huge updates bug free as fast as possible during these uncertain times.

I feel like people mistakenly think kits are taking away other packs when the truth is that we wouldn't get anything at all without kits.
    This way they can make money, fill the content
    Gap, and non cc users get more stuff too.
    Also there may be things even cc users may enjoy in a certain kit. The game play kits got too much backlash so I guess they thought it wasn't worth it.
    CAS is the safest option.

But according to what I hear on social media people would rather get "nothing" if it's small than to get "optional" content.
    🥲

Personally I prefer the kits to nothing.
    Oh and they said multiple times that one has nothing to do with the other. Why would they lie about it?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Yes
    That tweet is starting a smell a bit like bull excrement.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    edited May 2022
    Other/Unsure
    I agree with @Chicklet453681 and @VeeDub that I think kits are signaling the end of the line for TS4. They did say that 4 is going to be around for a few more years, and kits and the odd gamepack would keep to that theory. Minimal staffing needed, mostly just some modelers I would think, and with minimal gameplay no need for a full team of coders.

I don't know how I feel about it to be honest. I would know how I feel if we had a 100% set in stone answer whether or not TS5 is going to stay offline with rotational play as it always has been or if they're going to ruin it by making it an MMORPG.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Other/Unsure
    I am not really sure. I could see it being a possibility, for both good and bad. Kits had some decent potential for good. It could both fund and pad out wait times between EPs, GPs, and SPs without it feeling like such a content drought (not to mention fund the free updates and pack refreshes). That is sort of what I was hoping was going on with the next EP, since we're coming up on a year since Cottage Living.

However, for bad, four kits and you've got the price of a GP without adding any of the gameplay of the GP. Plus, with the state of MWS, it is hard to believe kits have had any positive effects as of yet. Meanwhile, we've been waiting some time for an EP and have thus far only had one refresh.

Who knows, though. They say separate teams are working on them and I can believe it. We don't know the full inner workings to say, but I haven't seen a lot of good yet.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited May 2022
    Other/Unsure
    They may not affect the production of other packs directly ofc

but in bigger picture i feel like they are focusing too much on putting out stuff constantly and too little on putting out gameplay that works and keeping the game stable and running

and the kits are just increasing the amount of stuff vs gameplay some of them coming out bugged and hence resulting in more fixes to do

and idk the game is just getting more and more unstable as more stuff is constantly added to it without adequate quality assurance

when really the stuff is just stuff and what I need is the actual gameplay

like sure theres many things to blame aside from kits but i don't think they are exactly helping with the situation either
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Yes
    I think they're divine punishment.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    Other/Unsure
    In addition to what's been said already I think the Sims team realize 4 is about to explode. If MWS had this many bugs, many still unresolved imagine if they released an EP after COL. Kits are the only thing they can release with minimal damage to the game system, its hardly worth it to keep adding gameplay to this game as The Sims 4 has honestly been pushed to its limit. I think we're going to continue getting these kits before one more EP and then its over.
  • Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    edited May 2022
    No

My theory is that they have moved a good portion of the different teams over to work on TS5 and they're running on a skeleton crew and kits are an easy way to still produce content to keep people interested without needed an entire team working on actual gameplay aspects.

"Do you think the minimal amount of content we've been getting lately is due to TS4 starting to wind down?" then I would have voted YES!

This is practically what I came in to say word for word, lol. Considering they have moved people onto whatever the next gen of Sims will be, and 4 has been out for as long as it has, it is no surprise that things are winding down imo. I still hate CAS kits though..

I know some people think that stuff packs should still be coming in place of kits, but I honestly prefer kits to stuff packs. If you consider the cost, and number of items they come out to about the same price point, (EDIT: reconsidered this) but with the kits the variety is more spread out.
    Post edited by Chaotic_Moira on
    Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Yes
    Probably, because the Stuff packs were canceled & now we don't get much expansion packs like we used to. :'(
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    No
    Imma say no. Cause Frost told us about this stuff, like I want stuff packs, OK?! I want stuff packs! I don't even care if I wanted kits, like how long is this gonna last? Like I'm tired of random radio stations being missing, cause I'm still a music lover! Period!
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Yes
    If you consider the cost, and number of items they come out to about the same price point, but with the kits the variety is more spread out.
    I dunno. The first three kits combined had less BB/CAS/Gameplay than Paranormal. (IIRC, it's the same for the last few Stuff Packs, but I don't feel like doing the math right now lol.) In Canada, the price of all three exceeds a single Stuff Pack.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    wormofthebookwormofthebook Posts: 176 Member
    Yes
    We haven’t had a stuff pack in over a year. Sadly, I don’t think they are coming back at this point which is a shame as I’m never buying a kit.
    ldauop39735.png
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Yes
    Yes, because where are the stuff packs? The stuff packs had gameplay in them and the kits just have objects and clothing, so I feel like maybe they didn't want to give us new gameplay in lower cost packages anymore and the kits replaced the stuff packs. I miss the stuff packs, because there was a bit of everything in it, some CAS, some BB and some gameplay... so maybe it doesn't effect the main expansion and game packs or base game updates as they keep saying, but what about the stuff packs??
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Other/Unsure
    The thing is there is no way for the team that work on kits to work on bug fixes, game updates or any live mode gameplay at all. They don't have that skill set. The only thing it would affect is cas and build items for packs and updates. I think it has to do with the pandemic. It does seem like it is affecting the packs but I think the same reason there has only been 1 gameplay kit is the same reason there has been not a lot of packs released either.

The live mode gameplay requires more resources and is probably more affected by whatever issues they have with the pandemic or maybe budget issues etc. I just don't think they make more money from kits than expansions, especially during the holidays. Of course, I can't know for sure but I don't think there is a huge amount of people buying kits over expansions.

One thing could be more resources (as in budget or etc.) used for kits over packs but again I don't think it makes sense for them to do that. I think it also might be related to the state of the game. My game is usually fine but a lot of people have been struggling with bugs and with each pack they add more bugs (which is not anything they can avoid) but it becomes a problem when there is a back log. Which is evident in the game right now since there is many bugs that have been active for over a year.

And I will also add that they are working on multiple base game updates which is probably another thing affecting the release of packs. They are working on a premade townie refresh and pronouns update. We just got neighborhood stories which probably took up a lot of their time last year. They also could be still working on that feature and adding things or improving it. We don't know if there is other updates they are working on that they haven't announced, especially since there was a lot of things mentioned in the survey that had story progression in it. We could be getting some other stuff on that list. Another thing they could be working on as well is pack refreshes.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    No
    @Gordy and @Elliandre I think you both are right. I always have a hard time remembering which are Stuff Packs and which are Game Packs. They have too many categories for crying out loud. I forgot that some of the stuff packs came with game play too. That does make a difference. I just want game play, I don't care if it is in a kit, or a pack, but it needs to be game play.

I still don't think the kits are getting in the way of anything. I think it is dwindling for the reasons mentioned above. And I think they are pressed for time because EA wants new stuff put out on a schedule. I would rather we went longer in between releases, and got game play rather than getting timely releases of stupid CAS kits.
    Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    No
    No, I feel more like they are winding down the sims 4 and the kits are just fillers that don’t cause more bugs between the few packs we are getting now. But I like them, I wish we could have more stuff packs, but in the past many complained about them….so here we are with kits that people complain about too.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    Yes
    Kits killed stuff packs and now they seem to also kill the expansion packs. Game packs have been downgraded to the level of stuff packs (almost non-existent gameplay) but they still cost the same as before.
    I'd say kits are slowly killing the whole Sims 4, but maybe it's supposed to so they can move on to Sims 5. :/
  • Options
    No
    Uuuughhh!! Y'all got to be kidding!! Kits is not like a stuff pack, kits are just kits that features different things separated everything such as, gameplay kits, CAS kits, and build/buy kits. Now let's stop fighting over everything what something looks like to y'all, cause it confuses me and give me a headache! WTH!
  • Options
    JokubasJokubas Posts: 100 Member

Wow, I wasn't expecting the first response to take the words out of my mouth. This is exactly my feeling.

• Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    Yes
    Yes, because we aren’t getting stuff packs anymore & it seems like new packs are a lot less frequent. It’s a lot easier for the team to just throw a couple of CAS or build items together than it is to make a fully fleshed out game.
  • Options
    No
    SimDork23 wrote: »
    Yes, because we aren’t getting stuff packs anymore & it seems like new packs are a lot less frequent. It’s a lot easier for the team to just throw a couple of CAS or build items together than it is to make a fully fleshed out game.
    Oh my god! 🤦
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Other/Unsure
    The release schedule of content has definitely changed but I am not sure if kits are the cause of this change or the result.

There are some possibilities for the changes like others already mentioned.
    - Perhaps Sims 4 is winding and preparing to shift to sims 5.
    - Perhaps we are feeling the pandemic for real now. Remember it takes a long time to develop a pack. Just look at the time to create the community stuff packs. So now we are probably in the packs that started development during the pandemic which would not only explain fewer packs but also less quality (=loads of bug) Let's hope the next game pack, presumably werewolves, won't have as many bugs as my wedding stories
    - perhaps someone at EA wanted to make more profit with less effort and this lead to the overwhelming amount of CAS and BB kits and abandoning stuff packs.

Whatever the cause, I would have preferred one or two good stuff packs a year over all these kits.