Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this possible for the Sims 5?

Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
edited March 2022 in Off Topic Chat
To save on development costs but to appease Sims fans, is it possible to take the Sims 1 Complete Collection and recreate it all on a rebuilt engine of the Sims 3 for the base game of Sims 5?

I have played Sims 2, 3, and 4, and it seems like each time the game starts getting good with expansion packs, it gets abandoned and we are forced to start again with a vanilla base game which looks pretty but has no game play and is boring. I see nothing wrong with refurbishing / retooling / reusing content from earlier games, so the base game can be more fleshed out. Personally I would like to play the Sims 1 and discover the excitement from the first game that started the series, but with the building tools and open world mechanics of Sims 3. EA can even call it something else, like the Sims Reimagined, etc. and save any new Sims 5 for when the economy / current events make it more viable.

Also I hope that EA has no plans to drop Sims 4 anytime soon. I've made a huge investment in this series iteration and I'd like to see more game and expansion packs.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited March 2022
    I would love to see Sims 3 engine updated into Sims 5! 🥰😊

However each new game always has been a brand new engine so I think that will stay.

It would be good not to have to keep starting from scratch every iteration. 🙄🤷🏼‍♂️
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2022
    EA did make a remake/remaster of the old Command & Conquer, and are also now working on a remake of Dead Space. But they don't seem interested in remaking any of the old sims games. Maybe because the assets are too old so everything would have to be made from scratch (which means that they can't reuse or improve any assets) so they might as well build a new game from scratch. Which is what will probably turn into The Sims 5.

If you are talking about just game mechanics...then again, I don't think they can just "reuse" the game mechanics from the old sims games, they would have to build a foundation and then it could maybe be inspired by how the old games handled things, but I think those games are too old for that.

I'm not sure if the people who worked on The Sims 1 or 2 are even working anymore at Maxis either. The people who worked on The Sims3 are probably still there so they might remember how they built the sims3.

I'm hoping that they are dropping The Sims4 soon, but I have also played the game since 2014, so I'm pretty tired of it. If you are not tired of it, then you will probably be able to play the game for a couple of more years.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2022
    A sims 2 engineer on Twitter says that sims 2 runs on the same simulation engine as sims 1, it just has more features and is in 3D. He implied that sims 3 really did need to be built from the ground up since it was starting to age. That’s why the game feels so different to play. I would love them to do a remaster and borrow from the old games, but I don’t think it will happen.

As a side note, from job listings I think sims 5 base game will have weather
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    EA is a quite profitable company, and the Sims franchise is one of EA's cash cows. I think skimping on development is a bad idea.
  • Options
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    EA is a quite profitable company, and the Sims franchise is one of EA's cash cows. I think skimping on development is a bad idea.

We know Maxis is doing a big hiring push right now. Let's hope they can actually hire good talent.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member

Yes I tweeted this but not a lot of ppl seemed excited about it lol. Which is weird cause I think a lot of ppl find weather or seasons important and I think no other game in the franchise had weather in the base game.

Also idk I haven't played the old games but I don't think it would be a good idea to use old engines to make the sims 5 because I just think why do that when they can use newer technology. Plus I've heard about the older games not being that stable so they would probably run in the issue sims 4 is having rn where the game gets too unstable and has many bugs and issues. So I would rather they use unreal engine because then that would probably open up more possibilities for what they can and can not do with the game.

Though I think a lot of ppl would love it if they did a remaster of let's say the sims 2 like they did with command and conquer and mass effect trilogy. When those were announced it was really well revieved so I think if they did that for the Sims 2 it will make a lot of ppl happy and if it came with ea play I might even try sims 2 for the first time too. Ik I can still play it now but I'm already fine with sims 4 rn so I don't really have an urge to try another sims game. Especially when I have so many other games on my backlog lol.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

Yes I tweeted this but not a lot of ppl seemed excited about it lol. Which is weird cause I think a lot of ppl find weather or seasons important and I think no other game in the franchise had weather in the base game.

Also idk I haven't played the old games but I don't think it would be a good idea to use old engines to make the sims 5 because I just think why do that when they can use newer technology. Plus I've heard about the older games not being that stable so they would probably run in the issue sims 4 is having rn where the game gets too unstable and has many bugs and issues. So I would rather they use unreal engine because then that would probably open up more possibilities for what they can and can not do with the game.

Though I think a lot of ppl would love it if they did a remaster of let's say the sims 2 like they did with command and conquer and mass effect trilogy. When those were announced it was really well revieved so I think if they did that for the Sims 2 it will make a lot of ppl happy and if it came with ea play I might even try sims 2 for the first time too. Ik I can still play it now but I'm already fine with sims 4 rn so I don't really have an urge to try another sims game. Especially when I have so many other games on my backlog lol.

I think people would definitely be excited about weather! It would be nice to have that included for a change.

Each Sims game had its own engine, though Sims 1 and 2 shared their engine made by Will Wright. People in the community really appreciate that engine, especially in Sims 2. There are some issues with neighborhood corruption in that game, but the game is very stable. More stable than 3 and 4. It runs extremely well and isn't laggy.

Sims 3 was a total restart. EA built a brand new engine, and Will Wright had left the company. This is a reason why the game "feels" so different to play. Open World was nice, but the stability was such an issue. And Sims 4 also was a brand new engine, built from scratch.

If Sims 5 were to use Unreal Engine 5, that would be a first...they've never used a 3rd party for that before. But there is a lot of talk that this might be happening. Same with Mass Effect 5 being built in Unreal.

On trying old Sims games, I am a huge proponent of people trying the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. If I could, I would make every new Sims fan play some of the premade in Pleasantview for a few hours. It's such a foundational game in the franchise. There's lots of resources to get it easily working on modern computers, specifically https://pleasantsims.com/sims-2-windows-10/