Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wouldn't it be something if we did have funerals as well as weddings?

ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
edited February 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
What would a Funeral Pack look like, do you think? Like a wedding, it's expensive, requires ritual clothing, food, and activities, and people often cry.
And like weddings, traditions around the world vary considerably, but in general there's a Grand Meal or buffet of some sort, an officiant giving a speech, people consoling one another (ahem, at weddings it's usually called congratulations :sweat_smile: ), and depending on the wedding, people dancing and playing music, viewing the deceased whether in a coffin or otherwise, drinking ritual beverages or else bar drinks, and so on.

I have this ulterior motive of thinking it would be so awesome to be able to do a Corpse Bride sort of mixup in the game! Have a pair of star-crossed lovers, rise as Undead at their funeral, and tie the knot right then and there, except of course for the "til Death do us Part" part. I wonder if Grimmy could be the officiant at such an event? I think that would take the cake.

Think of it: deathflowers as the bouquet, the new couple dancing the Grim Fandango (lol) and so on.

But even without a wedding/funeral mishmash, funerals aren't something I ever considered, til this Wedding pack made me think of it, and now I'm thinking, why not? It's as important a social ritual, with as much diversity in how it's done, worldwide. Maybe the pack could include a small world like the Wedding world, that has a funeral home, some buildable lots, and some customizable cemeteries and mausoleums to choose from, with maybe some added interactions beyond the ones already in the game?

I could see a lot of potential in tying it in with certain aspects from other packs, what with the seances and mediums from Paranormal Stuff, and the little forest spirits and spiritual interactions and ways of paying respects in Snowy Escapes, and the Island Spirits of Sulani. Maybe there could be options to have funerals styled after traditions inspired by Sulani, Snowy Escapes, and other worlds?

I could also see pet funerals as an option for those who want that, because that's a thing in real life for some, also, and if a Sim dedicated their lives to their animal companions, it just makes sense to observe the passing of the animal companion, in ritual, one way or another. It's another situation where you can get as fancy about it as you can afford.

Originally the idea seemed like a joke to me, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed plausible. Weddings and funerals are the two most important social rituals in most societies around the world, after all.

What do you think?
You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
```
wonderfullymade.jpg
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    H*** yes. I'd love it if that were a thing. I particularly like that you thought of pet funerals even. It would be awesome to be able to have a big production of a funeral when a family member dies, including wake, burial, all that stuff. Sorta like what they have for weddings, but with appropriate options for a funerals instead...all the way down to a small backyard burial of a family pet.

I absolutely LOVE the idea.

I'd also like a lot more funerary trappings in the game, the kinds of things you'd find at a funeral home or mortician's workplace.

Speaking of mortician, the addition of funerals to the game would be a good opportunity to also add a mortician career, which I think the game particularly needs.

Honestly, if you sit back and think about it, a game pack for funerals+ would be more overall useful than a wedding pack. More Sims die in my games than get married.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2022
    I've been holding funerals with my Sims for years. In fact, I had a funeral yesterday instead of the wedding I had planned for the son of the deceased. I had hoped he'd live to see his son get married.
    I'm using a rather simple mod of mine for them. Just a few special socials and black wedding attire for the guests. There's also a very sophisticated mod for funerals with loads of features, I forgot who made it.
    I'd really love to have funerals added by EA, they could come with the grim reaper career that was in one of the surveys and with a new graveyard lot type.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    OH, Grim Reaper career would be awesome too.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    I'm also hoping for the Grim Reaper freelance career and funerals. As I recently mentioned in another thread, I would love to see a Happy Haunts Pt. 2/Dangerous Stuff Pack with the Grim Reaper career, new deaths, funerals, a new cemetery lot type, and a ghost overhaul. It would also be nice to have another Gothic or spooky themed world.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I'd personally be as little interested in funerals as I am in weddings. But that's good news for folks who do like those things, because I've noticed a recurring and consistent pattern in more packs being focused on things in which I have little or no interest than things I'd reeeeally like to have. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    Heck yes to funerals, Grim Reaper career, and graveyards! I don't actually care about the GR career, but it would be fun for those who would want it. OTOH, I already have funerals and graveyards in my game, thanks to Mortem by Simrealist and Simularity's Graveyard lot trait. I feel sad for those who won't/can't use mods. I'd have given up on Sims 4 after a month of boredom if not for mods. I don't know how those who don't use them sustain interest in the game. I probably just don't have enough imagination LOL.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I would love funerals.

At the moment if a sim dies I get a relative to take their urn to the graveyard and mourn them but it's not much of a send off.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    I'd like it too... It really makes me wonder why funerals/wake are not already in the game in some form.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2022
    it would be nice to have funeral event in the game like with just sims sitting in their freaking seats sobbing and someone giving speech and putting flowers on the grave and maybe like if they wanted to be sent off by being burned or scattered that could be neat and not going to socialize with freaking geoffrey landgraab

(I swear so close to giving geoffrey early demise because of how much he keeps chatting up my sims at wrong times and now that i think of it... wouldn't it kinda make sense if Nancy was a rich and suspicious widow huh... earth to simmingal stop plotting simdeaths you haven't even abducted bella yet)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I would really love a Ghost pack with funeral gameplay and a cemetery added. I can't do much with the ghosts in the game, they really need an update. Funerals, cemeteries, Grim gameplay, ghost powers.. I really want the ghosts to be able to get closer to being human through some gameplay, then gain again a human voice, gain the ability to walk like humans, lose the ability to be able to walk through walls, and become human through gameplay in addition to all the items like ambrosia or spells. And they should never get culled. We really need funerals and a cemetery that collects the gravestones when Sims die off lot so they can be properly mourned for. Funeral gameplay would be so fun. Especially if the ghost was at the funeral and could haunt everybody but they couldn't see or hear the ghost lol.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think, since we already have weddings, it would have been nice for this pack to BE them.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I would really love a Ghost pack with funeral gameplay and a cemetery added. I can't do much with the ghosts in the game, they really need an update. Funerals, cemeteries, Grim gameplay, ghost powers.. I really want the ghosts to be able to get closer to being human through some gameplay, then gain again a human voice, gain the ability to walk like humans, lose the ability to be able to walk through walls, and become human through gameplay in addition to all the items like ambrosia or spells. And they should never get culled. We really need funerals and a cemetery that collects the gravestones when Sims die off lot so they can be properly mourned for. Funeral gameplay would be so fun. Especially if the ghost was at the funeral and could haunt everybody but they couldn't see or hear the ghost lol.

This 100%!
    I never know what to do with my graves, it seems disrespectful to just plant a well loved sim in the back garden or worse delete the tombstone. It's even worse not to have a funeral at all, no one to give a kind word or remember the deceased.
    It may sound morbid but I really miss the cemetary. I lose way more sims than ever get married so that's a pack I'd definitely buy.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    Elliandre wrote: »

This 100%!
    I never know what to do with my graves, it seems disrespectful to just plant a well loved sim in the back garden or worse delete the tombstone. It's even worse not to have a funeral at all, no one to give a kind word or remember the deceased.
    It may sound morbid but I really miss the cemetary. I lose way more sims than ever get married so that's a pack I'd definitely buy.

@Scrapdash I don't think it's morbid. I really struggled with the Darren Dreamer having the grave of his wife in his backyard and I still haven't got used to it. The Goth's kind of made sense since the mansion was so spooky. I play with aging off. If I turn it on and want to keep the ghosts, what will I do? Have everyone with a little graveyard in their backyard or funeral urn on their living room table? I really hope we get a proper cemetery one day.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    @Elliandre I know, it's always been such a weird feature, somehow in sims 2 it was just so whacky it got away with it, then sims 3 proper cemetaries which seemed appropriate, but then flung back to backyard burials again. I can't get used to it either.
  • Options
    HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2022
    I’ve honestly thought about that a few time . I hate when my sims die but at the same time I wish I could have a funeral for them . I wish my my old sims could have a proper exit instead of just dropping dead where they are standing. It would be nice for them to have a slower exit where they could be laying in bed surrounded by their family and friends to say their last goodbyes. If one sim is late they could miss the opportunity to say goodbye and regret it. Other sims may have had bad blood with the passing sim and not showed up . Funerals could be long ,packed and extravagant or simple and small . One sim could outlive the other sim and have reminiscent memories of them (good or bad) randomly. Others may be effected more or less by there passing. There also could be inheritances, estate sales, a funeral director job which could be creepy or not . Also graveyard could be added switch are sometimes haunted by ghosts.