Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Black History Month

First shout out to Complex sims for the items that were added.

Second, Why are we get Brazilian food instead of soul food like Shrimp and Grits, Fried Chicken with mac and cheese, Peach cobbler, cornbread, candied yams, collard greens, black eyed peas, oxtails etc? I am love the additional food but it feels like black history month is represented on a very small scale by comparison to other months.

Hispanic Heritage month we got a grill and like 5 more dishes and I am not even going to talk about the food that has been added Christmas and this recent patch sheesh. We get a durag, a robe and a bonnet?? That is all??? Doesn't feel fair EA, just saying.

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    How come there seems to be no African culture of foods, clothing & objects in the game?
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    How come there seems to be no African culture of foods, clothing & objects in the game?

Good question
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    There's a whole slew of cuisines that could be loosely bundled into "African". It even has it's own separate entry in Wikipedia! : )
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_cuisines
    I'm sure there is plenty of food for thought there. Pun intended.
  • Options
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    There's a whole slew of cuisines that could be loosely bundled into "African". It even has it's own separate entry in Wikipedia! : )
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_cuisines
    I'm sure there is plenty of food for thought there. Pun intended.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. No sarcasm, I am really unclear.
  • Options
    Anyways it feels like inclusivity extends only to the people that work for EA.
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited February 2022
    I think that there should be shirts (long sleeved and short sleeved) for all genders that say “Black Lives Matter” that Sims can wear, and flags in the game that have African flag colors that you could put on the walls inside or outside your Sims house. I do agree there needs to be a Black History month game pack for “The Sims 4”. It’s the least Maxis could do for African and African American people.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

What about the jogger prints that seem to have an african inspired pattern? Am I thinking of the right one?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited February 2022
    No offense but I don't know why this thread isn't being noticed by a lot of "The Sims 4" fans. This is a big issue going on, diversity for Africans and African Americans needs to be represented in the game.
  • Options
    EliteGirl wrote: »
    No offense but I don't know why this thread isn't being noticed by a lot of "The Sims 4" fans. This is a big issue going on, diversity for Africans and African Americans needs to be represented in the game.

sure is frustrating. This is why I say they do not do representation well. No offense to complex sims but black history month being summed up to a durag and a bonnet is a problem for me. Where is the food, culture, representation??
  • Options
    I agree. Black Matters.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2022
    keekee53 wrote: »

sure is frustrating. This is why I say they do not do representation well. No offense to complex sims but black history month being summed up to a durag and a bonnet is a problem for me. Where is the food, culture, representation??

My best guess is that they did not have enough resources to do that, so they had to decide what to focus on.

They have added new hairstyles that suit african and african american sims but that has kinda been added over the year, not during this month specifically.

I know that's not the same as recognizing black history month, but I think that they often do not get enough resources or time to do what they want.
  • Options
    ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member

I would love an African EP really building out from Nigerian, Egyptian, Moroccan, Kenyan, and South African cultures, cuisines, scenery... I'm amazed at the lack of proper inclusion for different cultures beyond holiday worlds.
    Origin ID: ExxCee
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited February 2022
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are trying to say here. No sarcasm, I am really unclear.

There is no shortage of dishes that the developers could use for inspiration. A ten-second search uncovered a treasure trove of examples. My reply was in reference to SERVERFRA's question (second in the thread).
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I would love all those foods added to my game, they sound delicious. Canadian African food is a lot of carribean and west african dishes like jerk chicken, oxtail stews, Jamaican patties, jollof rice, egusi, couscous, those are my favourites, oh no, now I am hungry!! There is so much African food from America and around the world they could add this month.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I think that there should be shirts (long sleeved and short sleeved) for all genders that say “Black Lives Matter” that Sims can wear, and flags in the game that have African flag colors that you could put on the walls inside or outside your Sims house. I do agree there needs to be a Black History month game pack for “The Sims 4”.

Please, please no. These kind of political statements should stay OUT of this game.
    It’s the least Maxis could do for African and African American people.

Yeah i second this. I think its good for a company to have values they care about but I dont want the game to be used for activism. The political/social activism is getting out of hand.

But I do want them to keep releasing more cultural updates and hopefully one day branch into cultures that havent been touched yet in the game.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    I find it very unbalanced.

The indians got their kit and got their diwali update and got their city living.

Latin Americans got their hispanic heritage month update and their kit and their food and their coquito adn they will get a brasilian artwork.

Chinese got their lunar new year update and east asian food. Japanese got a whole pack. Korean fashion is here.

Of course they cant focus on everything and every country or continent, but black african is barely anywhere to be seen.

Cant count the skin tone controversy.

Sims 3 did a better job with represantation with the store is all i am saying.

I have yet to see an update or kit that adds black african culture, that goes beyond hairstyles. Even the wedding pack has Chinese and Indian traditions or clothes. Yes the complexSims update was nice but downgraded to just a durag and a bonnet.

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited February 2022
    PreCiious wrote: »

The indians got their kit and got their diwali update and got their city living.

Latin Americans got their hispanic heritage month update and their kit and their food and their coquito adn they will get a brasilian artwork.

Chinese got their lunar new year update and east asian food. Japanese got a whole pack. Korean fashion is here.

Of course they cant focus on everything and every country or continent, but black african is barely anywhere to be seen.

I have yet to see an update or kit that adds black african culture, that goes beyond hairstyles. Even the wedding pack has Chinese and Indian traditions or clothes. Yes the complexSims update was nice but downgraded to just a durag and a bonnet.

But why does it have to be “they got all this and we only got teeny weeny, IT’S NOT FAIR!”
    Can’t we be happy with content inspired by a variety of cultures, not just our own? Isn’t it wonderful that we get to learn a little about other cultures through these small updates or kits or packs as well?
    I mean I didn’t even get one single Irish thing on St. Patrick’s day. Ha! I don’t even get an entire month of celebrations. Not fair. Where’s me Leprechauns, me Crock ‘o Gold and me guns? 🤣

“Sorry children, there’s a shortage of smarties right now, we’ll try and please all but we’re still waiting for the smarties truck to arrive. Don’t worry. Go play with your toys now. No running in the corridors. Thank you.”

On a serious note, There are so many cultures not yet “represented”.
    Where’s the Polish content, the Russian Content, the Greek content, the Finnish content, the Australian content, the Scottish content, the Dutch content, the Native American content, the Haitian content, the Jamaican content, the Aotearoan content, etc. etc. etc. etc.
    I sincerely apologize for forgetting someone’s culture. You’re in my thoughts. ❤️

Oh and hey let’s not forget about the werebeasts and fairies, two very important but completely overlooked occults cultures.
    And male sims. Let’s not even go there at all at all.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member

But why does it have to be “they got all this and we only got teeny weeny, IT’S NOT FAIR!”
    Can’t we be happy with content inspired by a variety of cultures, not just our own? Isn’t it wonderful that we get to learn a little about other cultures through these small updates or kits or packs as well?
    I mean I didn’t even get one single Irish thing on St. Patrick’s day. Ha! I don’t even get an entire month of celebrations. Not fair. Where’s me Leprechauns, me Crock ‘o Gold and me guns? 🤣

“Sorry children, there’s a shortage of smarties right now, we’ll try and please all but we’re still waiting for the smarties truck to arrive. Don’t worry. Go play with your toys now. No running in the corridors. Thank you.”

Where’s the Polish content, the Russian Content, the Greek content, the Finnish content, the Australian content, the Scottish content, the Dutch content, the Native American content, the Haitian content, the Jamaican content, the Aotearoan content, etc. etc. etc. etc.
    I sincerely apologize for forgetting someone’s culture. You’re in my thoughts. ❤️

Oh and hey let’s not forget about the werebeasts and fairies, two very important but completely overlooked occults cultures.

Swede here, I don't think we have gotten represented in the game at all, apart from influences from Windenburg and maybe the Bjergsens...who I think are supposed to be Norwegian?

But I don't mind that at all... I never expected Maxis to represent Swedish culture. Sure it would be fun if they would add meatballs with mashed potatoes or something but wanting it because other cultures are getting represented...I have never understood that mentality?

They are a business after all, they can't just give us free stuff all the time?
  • Options
    I mean fair enough but i still think they focus on the same stuff over and over instead of giving us variety. Thats why i was saying the sims 3 did a better job giving us russia, cambodia, africa, native america, spain and free st. patricks day items, etc representation or inspired stuff. For a game that claims on beeing all about representation they do very little by it. Or there is a bias, since we see a lot of hispanic stuff lately and i mean i saw the ''latin american players play the sims'' stream with simguruRuskii and when you compare that to the ''black simmers play the sims sims'' stream from 2020 its like why did we not got content back then?. But its fine.

But yeah they are a business doing a lifeservice since 2014, so they better make sure people stay engaged with free stuff or paid stuff that has variety so all players can pick what they like. Just like what the sims 3 did.

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    logion wrote: »

Swede here, I don't think we have gotten represented in the game at all, apart from influences from Windenburg and maybe the Bjergsens...who I think are supposed to be Norwegian?

But I don't mind that at all... I never expected Maxis to represent Swedish culture. Sure it would be fun if they would add meatballs with mashed potatoes or something but wanting it because other cultures are getting represented...I have never understood that mentality?

Excuse me, you've gotten lots of IKEA stuff! :D

I'm only messing. And I agree. We can't have every culture represented through free updates. That's not how businesses run. We gotta get paid content in order to get free updates. Essentially we've been paying for the free updates anyway. Don't be fooled folks. But that's not the point, I know. That's not the point. I already made my point in my previous posts tho, so there's that.

• Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    logion wrote: »

Hey, speak for yourself! I am still waiting on that working maypole for midsummer - just saying ;-)

I do believe both sides have a point here. It's not that the game has too much representation for non-African content, as I refuse to think of more content from other cultures are a bad thing. Therefore the comparison is a bit off. I applaud every one of those updates mentioned. I, however, also agree that there needs to be more African and African-american content. Not instead of, but also.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    I'm part Prairie Cree which is a North American Canadian Aboriginal Native Tribe. And as a small part of that, I would love at least a North American Aboriginal culture in the game please.
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member

We got a Moroccan kit recently. And how do you know that there isn’t any Africa stuff in the wedding GP?
  • Options
    g01denswan wrote: »

We got a Moroccan kit recently. And how do you know that there isn’t any Africa stuff in the wedding GP?

I wrote black africa- that goes beyond hairstyles. I saw no traditional dresses. There is also a tradition where you jump up the broom after getting married. But no.. Again Chinese culture with the tea ceremonie.

I said what i said. I am tired of defending myself. Sims 4 is limited anyway.