Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Checkered Life of Erik Cantrell

GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
Chapter One: When Something Just Isn't Right

The Cantrell family had all been struggling through their worst Influenza season they could remember. Everybody was down with it. Erik and Brianna visited the clinic and both were found to have allergies. Erik had a mild case of Influenza, but surprisingly, although she exhibited the same symptoms, Brianna was found not to be ill, but to come back should she not feel well. They both filled their prescriptions. Clear Day, for the allergies, and for Erik ConEx for colds & flu. He took his medication diligently. His was not a life of ease. Between school, and constant invitations to photoshoots, (seems the young Rising Star was wanted on the covers of various Sim Teen magazines), he needed to bypass the symptoms that kept him down and to power through. He was holding a very steady A average in school, which pleased his parents. On Saturday morning, Erik crawled, albeit, slowly out of the top bunk. He padded outside, pulling the ties to his robe securely so he could license the four songs he had just finished composing on his violin. Moments later he got word his most recent song, Last Time I Saw You was nominated and that he should attend the next Starlight Accolades, being directed to get there early. About twelve hours later, the Cantrell family went off together to celebrate Pascha as a family. Since the medicine had kicked in, Erik was feeling invigorated, and inspired by the nomination, he decided it was time to record some songs and cut an album. So, off he went to record three sets of five songs each. Once he had fifteen, he could go back to the Taygeda Music Studios and package them into an album. Once that was done, he would go back down and release the album. This he did and returned still in the early morning. The family was already into their Agape celebrations. Erik found, while he could participate in some of the activities, he couldn't hunt for eggs. This was disconcerting. But he brushed it off. Tonight, was the Accolades!

He rested for a bit, realizing he was still ill. His nap was interrupted by an urgent text from somebody name Orion Entertainment, Limited? Erik sat up to take a better look, slipping his wire rimmed glassed back on. Hm, Orion Entertainment, Ltd., is inviting me to hold a concert. Today? Erik ran out of the bedroom brushed his teeth, grabbed a quicker than lightning shower and threw some clothes on. Happily, the new venue downtown, "Music in the Park", was only down the hill and a few blocks over from where he lived. He could ride his bike there. Problem was, it was already after four in the afternoon. The Accolades were at six! Such a dilemma. Erik shrugged. He could do both. The PBP Studios was just another two blocks over from the park. No biggie, he shrugged.

Sadly, it was a bigger deal that he understood. He was barely started when the clock on his phone went off. Five, it's five already? Erik sang three more songs and then bid the audience farewell after thanking them for their kind attention. Grabbing his bike, he peddled as if his clothing were going to change into rags before he got to his destination. Since he'd gotten the notice of the nomination, he'd had more than a few nightmares. He won Best Song, but always something was in his way. The first dream was such that he was too busy hunting for Easter Eggs in the chairs instead of paying attention to what the host was saying. He won. When Erik realized it, he tried to accept the award but the host quickly closed the show. Erik was denied the moment. The next nightmare that plagued him, is he didn't win. The one after that, he won, but the host stood in his way. Apparently, that one last joke he had to tell was far more important than a young Rising Star making a silly acceptance speech. The worst nightmare, however, was that he got on stage, but the audience had all left. He was talking to no one. He wasn't even certain it was being broadcast. Despite all of these nightmares Erik did make a few friends that night. Dirk Dreamer, among them. He also managed to befriend Judith Ward and Octavia Bailey. Thorne was there, but he was being a bit of a thorn, in Erik's mind. Oh, well, can't be loved by everybody.

"Please forgive my less than formal attire, I just raced over here from my first
concert. I am so overwhelmed."
"Thank you for this honor. I love you, All."

Just a few days later, Erik spring-boarded to Global Superstar. Gathering up the mail, he felt obligated to attend the ceremony to be held just after four-thirty that same afternoon. At least his Dad would be home from work.
The family and a few friends gathered behind the PBP Studios. Erik wandered over to the Avenue of the Stars to see just where he was to place his frame. Turned out, he was given this choice. So, seeing an empty space betwixt two of his new friends, he chose that spot. Finally, everybody was assembled.

The ceremony could begin. Erik knelt before the empty space. Something was troubling him, though. Erik could feel something untoward going on behind him, but he kept his focus, refusing to have this moment also become a nightmare. What is going on? Once Erik's tile was in place, he soon learned of the outright treachery perpetrated by his next younger brother. Joey was busy defacing another Celebrity's tile! What the heck is up with you?

Erik didn't get a chance to do more than yell at his brother, which he loathed to do with Paparazzi around. Before he could clean up the mess, or more rightly Joey could clean it up. Dustin Broke was quick with a mop.
"I'm really sorry about this. Kids, you know?"
You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
Post edited by GalacticGal on

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Chapter Two: When Patience Pays Off

Erik won his first Accolade for Best Song. He found himself staring at it each morning when he awoke as if it had been a dream. Sitting on the dresser in the room he shared with Aaron and Joey. He found himself wondering how many times they each had picked it up, fondled it or if they even cared. Yet, it didn't sit there alone. He also had two similar trophies for Meet & Greets he had held successfully. On this day, Erik was troubled. At two different concerts, now, he'd first met and then was pleased to see again one Sandi Golden. The second time around, she brought her obvious identical twin sister with her, Astrid. He liked them both. But he was far too slow to move, apparently. While he was busy singing, that first encounter with Sandi evaporated. Erik saw her from the stage. He also saw his older brother, Aaron, busily working his magic on her. It soon became apparent, the two were made for each other. One day, Erik asked Astrid over to his house after school. Aaron asked Sandi. Before Astrid reached the front door, Joey was waiting at the base of the porch stairs. Not again.

Joey was on the shy side, so watching him through the window gave Erik pause. Little brother took one right out of his own playbook. He used The All-Potent Enchanting introduction.
    Then he whipped out his latest 'invention' to share with Astrid. A strange object with a wide handle and an end that almost resembled a crescent wrench. "I invented this," he proudly proclaimed.

"W-what is it? And what does it do?"
    "I don't know, but it's pretty cool don't you think?"
    "Yeah. Yeah, I guess. Sure wish I knew what it was for, though."

Erik withdrew from the window feeling ashamed for spying on his brother. He had no claim on either of the twins. No strings were yet attached, so no reason to blame either of his brothers for getting acquainted. The girls were lovely. Who could berate his brothers for their choices? Instead, he sought out their mother.

"Mom, can I ask you something?" Erik said, finding his mother upstairs.
    "Sure, Honey, what is it?"
    "Why is it my brothers are Babe Magnets and I'm left holding an empty bag? Is there something wrong with me?"
    "Erik, no. She'll be along when you're ready for her. You just may not be ready, quite yet. Relax, there's plenty of time."
    *~*~*~*~*~

In the meantime, in Willow Creek:
    "Mother," Kayleigh said. "Why haven't I met someone? Both of my sisters, and we're identical, have met guys. Brothers, in fact. Yet, here I sit practically unnoticed. What's wrong with me?"
    "Nothing, dear. You'll meet him when it's time." Carina Golden said. Sandi and Astrid sitting in the livingroom adjacent to the diningroom heard the conversation. "You thinking what I'm thinking?" Sandi said, over her school book.
    "If you're thinking you should invite Erik over, I am."
    Sandi squealed. "Yes, let's." And so, she did. Erik came right over, as they knew he would. He liked to mingle with his fans and since both the sisters had become his friends, as well, there was added incentive for him to accept the invitation. They met him at the door and then called Kayleigh to come downstairs. The moment was magic. Like some kind of faerie tale, they would all recount in the coming years. Their eyes met, Erik's and Kayleigh's and nothing more needed to be said. A match made in heaven.

Instant friends, as if they'd known each other forever. "See, I told you he'd come when it was time," Carina clucked, silently.

Erik asked Kayleigh out on a date. "Want to go dancing?"
    "Sure, but how did you know I'm a Dance Machine?"
    "Wild guess."
    *~*~*~*~*

Erik decided to take his time getting to know Kayleigh. As his mother suggested there was plenty of time. He was also a celebrity and wanted to make certain the attraction she felt wasn't due to that, too. He very much wanted to be loved for himself. Whipping out his camera, he showed her some pictures. "And that's me at my very first violin recital."
    "Oh, what a darling little Sim you were." Seeing the look on his face, "And still are." She quickly amended. "Only not little. Taller, you're much taller, now." Erik smiled as her cheeks flamed red.

The two spent more time talking than dancing. The date was Legendary, and Erik got up the nerve to go ahead and attempt a First Kiss. She could always slap him if he was out of line, he reasoned.

"Shall we capture this moment? That way I can post it on my Blog before the Paparazzi try to spin things. That is, if you don't mind."

Several days later Erik had a concert. He ran up to the stage, noticing that somebody was following him at a good clip. Not only that but the somebody out-paced him, practically flying up the stairs ahead of him. He grabbed the microphone before Erik could stop him. "And now, kind audience, it is my pleasure to introduce to you, the Starlight Accolade winner for Best Song, my brother, Erik Cantrell! Let's give it up for him, Come on!"

"Haha," Erik chuckled. "Thank you, Aaron for the introduction." Erik smiled and shrugged his shoulders. "Older brothers, what can we do?"

Sunday finally rolled around. Another Starlight Accolade Show, with Erik on pins and needles as if he hadn't already won one. He also pondered if Aaron was going to try to beat him to the stage, again? What is up with my brothers, of late?

Dressed in a really nice light turquoise tri-color suit, Erik was busy on the phone when his name was announced. Bad timing. Always bad timing. He finished promoting the Brand on his page and stood up. Why was there such chaos going on? The celebrities were all playing what looked like a game of Musical Chairs. They would randomly pop up out of their seats, mill around for a bit before taking a different chair again. Seemed as if he would never make it to the microphone. At last, he did. Picking up the Starlight Accolade, he nearly dropped it. "Whoa, this beastie doesn't get any lighter, does it?" he said. Then he took a moment to center himself. His emotions were all over the place.

"I really had no expectation of winning this tonight," he began, taking the time to enjoy the moment. He found himself almost fondling the trophy. "I hope you like the fact that I dressed up, this time. See? I do have suits in my closet." The audience chuckled and Erik felt himself loosen up. "I never thought I would feel even more excited than the first time, but I do. Thank you so much for his honor."

"But seriously, I would like to thank my Mom and my Dad for putting up with those uncomfortable years of music lessons. When first learning the violin the entire family walked around with earplugs in. I can't say that I blame them. It's pretty screechy in the beginning. Hurt my own ears, as well." And then Erik gave that little laugh most found so endearing. "I could never have achieved any of this, without my family. Thank you to my four brothers and my only sister, as well. To Missus Marchan, my music teacher. And everyone else for putting up with me. I love you, all."

"Oh, not again. The water works." Erik quickly wiped away the tear by slipping his index finger under the wire-rim of his glasses. Then he raised the heavy glass and metal trophy high above his head. To you, oh Lord.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Chapter Three: An Interesting Twist

Despite it being a vacation from school, so far, the mean hot summer schedule was harder than Erik imagined it could be. Starting off with his very first nomination, which lead to a second nomination, to which he was quite pleased.

Before the end of the first week, Erik's focus took a very interesting turn. Suddenly, even though he was totally unconscious of it, his acting abilities busily simmering, erupted to the surface. The sensation that ran through him was unlike anything he'd ever experienced. Who was watching him so closely? And why?

After that came the invitations to take character parts in major movies. The scenes and the way movies were made intrigued him. The roles surprisingly meaty for this newcomer expected to pull off a rather dramatic solo-bit.

Erik spent a great deal of time down at the Taygeta Studios, churning out album after album. He only had one week of high school to go after the summer break and shortly thereafter the four eldest kids in the family would be off to Britechester-U. He had personal goals he set for himself. He wanted ten released with three in the can, to be released one for each Term to keep himself front and center. He understood his father's reasoning for him to go to university, in case something untoward should happen, scuttling his career, but at the same time, trying to keep him out-of-the-limelight all on its own could wreak havoc on his career. That's when he and Kayleigh came up with this plan. She was the perfect fit for him. So supportive.

At the Wake of Time was his sixth album, followed closely by Four Chords to Destiny. Redirected Future was album number eight. Behind the Veil was number Nine. And, finally, Just Erik, II his tenth album.

The kids all attempted to make the most of their vacation. Erik, if he wasn't calling to chat on the phone, certainly made a point to text Kayleigh every morning and then again in the evening, just to wish her a good night. In between it all, he also held concerts. Then came the third nomination. Erik was nearly quaking with the news. What if he should fail? What if his song wasn't selected as the Best? In order to keep himself from having a meltdown, he organized outings.

Dinner out at Giorgio's Italiano, with Kayleigh, where they talked a lot. Erik was always discovering new things about her. And, he was falling hopelessly in love. Sometimes, in the course of their deeper conversations, she would win a point in the discussion and just get up to emphasize it. He loved that about her, although sometimes it stung a bit, too.

Dropping her off back home, her sisters were there to act like the fans they were. Jumping up and down, putting their hands over their faces and attempting to gain his attention. At once point, he just gazed over at Sandi, waved and smiled, and then did the same with Astrid. Giggling when he did so. Erik stood still for a moment, keeping his eyes on Kayleigh's.

Finally, her sisters went back inside. Erik could say goodnight, almost in private. The Paparazzi all but tethered themselves to him. So, he gave her a kiss on the cheek, instead of the deeper kiss he craved. And why is the Paparazzi dressed just like me?

Sunday, after Church, they all decided to go bowling. Erik had some pent-up tension he needed to expel. What a joke that was. Nothing seemed to work. The four plus lanes were empty, but for some odd reason they couldn't get the girls to bowl with them. Then they were surrounded with cameras and whatnot. Erik decided to just go ahead and throw a ball. He hadn't bowled in so very long he was likely rusty. Not that he was very good in the first place.

Selecting a ball, Erik got on the lane, set the ball, and drew in a quiet breath. The room was very noisy. When he was ready, he took the steps while drawing his arm back to finally fling it from his hand down the lane. Not bad form, he decided.

PBP Studios was his next stop. All gussied up, showered and refreshed, Erik reminded himself to breathe deeply to help calm his churning emotions. Unlike the nightmares, the Host showed up and actually presented awards. Whew, one phaser blast dodged. To his complete astonishment, his name was announced for Best Song. By now, he almost had the statement memorized. He was three for three. Getting to his feet, he glanced around at his peers. Judith Ward smiled widely. Dirk Dreamer nodded, as did Thorne Bailey, whom he could now call his friend. Erik's head was in a fog, however. Nothing seemed real.

Until, that is, he was handed the still-heavy trophy. Just like the first time, Erik noticed his hands were a bit sweaty. He really had to fight to keep from dropping the heavy, glass and gold trophy. He smiled at the audience, stepped a bit closer to the mic and began his acceptance speech. The one he forgot to write, so he simply had to wing it. "I have to say, I'm shocked and humbled to be standing here again. It's almost embarrassing," he began. Glancing about the audience, he said, "Thank you for this Honor, again." Finally, he put his hand to his mouth and threw kisses at the attendees, making certain at one point to gaze directly into the TV camera. "Thank you, and good night, everyone."

The house seemed inordinately quiet upon his return. Taking a look around, he ended up checking the laundry room. He didn't know why but sometimes they liked to congregate in this room. "Erik," Brianna said, as he drew near, throwing her arms around his neck. "I'm so very proud of you." I knew you were going to win again," she said with a wink. She was so tiny, he noticed she was up on her toes, like a ballerina.
    "Oh, you did, did you? And to think you said nothing." He smirked.
    "Why would I spoil the moment for you? Part of the fun is the anticipation, right?"
    "Yeah, so thanks for not spoiling it." He grinned.
    And then they were joined by his mother and two of his brothers. "I brought you a sandwich," Louise said, as she squeezed her way passed her other two sons.
    "Thanks, Mom, how did you know I was hungry?"
    "A mother knows. I'm so very proud of you, son." she hugged her second child tightly.

"Hey, give us a chance to congratulate him, too, okay?" Joey said. Louise released Erik and Joey, nearly squeezed the life out of his older brother.
    "Okay, same to you, bud," Aaron said. "I've known him longer." Joey stepped away and Aaron pulled Erik into a bear-hug. Again, Erik felt as if they were going to squeeze the life out of him."
    "Thanks, but please don't break me," Erik stepped toward the door, in the sizeable room. "Anybody know where Dad is? Has Adrian gone to bed already?"
    "Try the dining room. He's been working on that Scholarly paper that's due," Louise said.
    "I love you guys, you know that, right?" Erik said, as he left the laundry room. Stepping into the archway between the kitchen and the Butler's Pantry, he spied his father, standing in the archway from the dining room. To Erik it almost felt like a showdown. "Hey, son, you're back. How did it go?"
    "You didn't watch?" Erik couldn't keep the disappointment from his voice. His father looked chastened, for which the son regretted.
    "No, I'm sorry, I had this darned paper. My boss has been all over me to finish it."
    "I'm sorry, Dad. Did you get it done, at least?"
    "Yes, finally, but by then the show was over. Guessing from the general hoopla I heard from the living room, that you won?"
    "Yeah, by the grace of God, yeah."
    "Come here, I love you so much, Erik. I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of your accomplishments."
    "I love you, too, Dad," Erik choked out, sounding like a sob, as his emotions bubbled forth. When did things get so hard between us?

Joseph gave his son another squeeze. "Sorry, I have to go give a final edit to the paper."
    "Okay, but don't work too late," Erik grinned. "You have school in the morning."
    "I bet you've been chomping at the bit to use that one on me," Joseph said. Erik just grinned.
    "Hey, there you are, " Adrian said, as he entered the Butler's Pantry. "I heard you were home. Nice job. Say, my teacher asked me to do an interview with you if you won again. So, how does it feel?"
    "You're teacher? School is out for Summer, Dude." Erik folded his arms over his chest, nodding his head.
    "Okay, you caught me. I have a vlog. I thought it would be cool if I could interview you. So, how does it feel?"
    "Grand, it feels grand."
    "So, are the girls all chasing after you trying to tear your clothes off for a souvenir?"
    "What? Where do you come up with this stuff? No, no they aren't, should they be? Do you think my career's in trouble?" then Erik burst into laughter. Adrian just frowned.
    "No, I think you'll survive," he said, scribbling a quick note on a small electronic pad.
    "Well, thank you very much for your confidence. I'm going to bed, now."

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Chapter Four: Misdirection, Disinformation or Just Plain Fake News, Part One

Erik Cantrell knew in his heart just who he wanted by his side for the rest of his life. He felt fortunate, too, that he met her so early. One never knew how long their stay on Earth was going to be, so cementing their relationship now, would give them that many more years. So, he invited his best girl out to the Star Club over in NewCrest. The place was rather High-End and his business was equal to that status.

The couple were seated on the mezzanine level in the back corner. Erik was pleased. Unfortunately, the location lent itself to high visibility at the same time. There was something nefarious in using the celebrity of Sims to further their business. It was what it was and so he shrugged. Sadly, it wasn't long before the two were no longer alone. The Paparazzi seemed to come right out of the woodwork. Like so many cockroaches ."You look wonderful, tonight," he told Kayleigh.
    "Oh, you're so sweet, but I feel underdressed in this old rag."

Sitting there having their pictures taken, the endless flashes, an idea germinated in the Rock Star's mind. He wasn't about to allow this aspect of his fame to keep him from his purpose, nor to spoil any other special moments in his life. If only they would allow him to have a life. He did his best to pose for them, answer their questions, give interviews. He tried to be generous. Why couldn't they afford him the same courtesy?
    At last, they withdrew. In the blink of an eye Kayleigh also changed her dress to a more formal gown. When and how did she do that ? Taking her by the hand, they stood next to the table. "I liked the other dress, but I like this one even more." And then he took her hand and kissed it.
    "Erik, what are you up to? I can always tell when you have something on your mind, or up your sleeve."
    "Oh, just a little token, really," he said. Standing there gazing at her, realizing jus how much he loved her and just how very beautiful she was, he slipped his right hand into his pants' pocket. Holding up a ring, he said, "Will you promise to marry me?" Kayleigh's large blue eyes got very wide.
    "This looks like an awfully big rock for a Promise ring, don't you think?"
    Crestfallen, Erik crinkled his brow. "Does this mean you're saying no?"
    Kayleigh, leaned her head to one side, struggling against the grin that threatened to brighten up her entire face. Clearly, she was having a hard time to keep from giggling. "I didn't say that. Of course, I promise to marry you."
    Erik noticeably relaxed. He handed her the ring, which she slipped onto her left ring finger.
    "I love you," he murmured as he kissed her.
    "I love you, too."

By the time they took their seat, not only was the Paparazzi near at hand, but his new friend Bryanti Cho was calling wildly to get their attention. This made Erik worry. "I know this moment is special to us, but for now I think we should keep things under wraps." He whispered to his date.
    "Why?" Kayleigh said, dismissively. "Just because the rag mags, the Trends, will gobble this news up like a cat laps at milk? I have no idea of what you're talking about." She winked.

The summer was drawing to a close. Erik worked extra hard and now had enough music compiled for three more albums. As they had done in high school, the kids were all planning on taking the accelerated courses in Uni so that they could graduate in three terms. Just being promised to Kayleigh wasn't enough Erik was learning. Soon, he found himself anxious to get officially engaged and married. Before Uni. He realized they might draw fire from both sets of parents, but he had been doing some research. There was a residence, open to students. Four bedrooms, three bathrooms, the seven of them could make it work. This way he and Kayleigh could begin their life together without being in the midst of strangers. So, he called her up and took her to Volpe Park in Henford-on-Bagley.

They barely got there and toasted themselves on their promised status. "I made certain not to wear the ring, like you said," Kayleigh began. "Those busybody Sims armed with cameras have been hanging around my parents' house, too. What are we going to do? I don't want them all up in our business. Should we have an argument, it will be all over the Trends and the news, for pity's sake. There's got to be something we can do about it."
    Maybe there is something we can do about it," Erik replied.  Before, he could even get the ring box out of his jacket pocket, a group of fans and Paparazzi surrounded them. Bryanti Cho was among them, which made him wonder just what she was up to anyway? Leaving the box in his pocket, he grabbed up a small device, instead.
    "Okay, Babe, I've got another place I wanted to show you. Come on," he said, taking her by the hand. With the click of a button on an electronic device, off they transported to the Ruins in Windenberg. At times like this Erik realized it was good to be rich.
    "Ah, the Ruins, Erik, what are we doing here? It's so hot." Kayleigh fanned herself with her hands. It really was so arid, despite being near the bluffs overlooking the ocean.
    "Trying to find a moment alone," he said.
    "But you haven't answered my question," she said. "I'm about to evaporate from this heat."
    "Patience, my Love, I want to know we're truly alone." and then he was down on a knee.
    "Erik, we're already promised, what are you doing, now?"
    "Asking you to marry me." Erik held up the ring, the diamond caught the sunlight and glittered all the more.
    "Oh, my gosh, I can't believe it's even bigger than the Promise ring."
    Erik gave her his best slow grin. "Bigger promise," he quipped. "So, what do you say? Shall we?" It was Kayleigh's turn to grin. She took the ring from his hand, and held it up, saying, "Well, I don't know, let's see if it fits, first," she teased. she immediately slipped it onto her left ring finger with ease. "Oh, look at that, it does."
    Erik remained on his knee, "Well?" he prompted.
    Again, she smiled widely, "Guess that means I should say Yes, yes, YES."
    "You do know how to give a guy apoplexy, don't you?" Erik said, sweeping her off of her feet.
    "You love it and you know it," she said, coyly.
    "I love you," he said.

The more he thought about it, the more the idea niggling at the back of his head grew in strength. Sparked by her suggestion that an argument would spur news reports, the idea had a stranglehold on him. Maybe that was the answer to their dilemma? The only way he could conceive of throwing the press off the track of his and Kayleigh's relationship was to have them break up in public.
    He could see where it could get tricky and difficult to pull off, but both of them had been in Drama class together and she was pretty good at it. The thing was to convince her that first of all, it was only an act to throw the hounds off of the scent and secondly, when the timing was right, they would confess to the ruse.

Erik spent a rather unsettled night, tossing and turning. Breaking things off in public would only work if they ceased to be seen together. This meant no outings, not even with their siblings. That was a hard thought. He was used to being in contact with her texting her twice daily, sometimes more often if there was no way they could even steal five minutes together. However, they would also have to curb that habit, too. Her phone had already been hacked, once. Wouldn't be at all convincing should they continue to text each other. He wanted their nuptials to be private. Even as patient as she had always been in regard to Erik's public, she expressed dismay most recently. Erik just wanted to give her all he could and to make her happy. He recalled reading or hearing somewhere the idiom, 'happy wife, happy life.'

Erik wondered just how Kayleigh would receive his solution to their problem. He took her out to the Spice Festival. "I think I have a solution to our problem. Please hear me out on this. If you don't agree, it's a non-starter," he began. And so he told her his plan. Her reaction was less than what he expected.
    "You want to do what?" Erik strode off to the Swag Stall to help him cool off. She was really very angry at him. It smarted, too. He should have realized she wouldn't like it, he thought. Later, after he'd purchased the Spice T-shirts for them and changed into his, he tried his best to cajole her out of her disgruntled mood. It didn't work and Erik felt duly chastened.

But, on another occasion, they went to Henford-on-Bagley for the day. There was some property there he wanted to check out. They talked about having a house built so it was now just a question of where. They stopped by the Tavern and both were reminded of just how intrusive his Public really was. As the two talked one of the Sims who lived there abruptly put her arms around both of them intruding on their private conversation. This took them both aback. Kayleigh looked at Erik and he returned her gaze.
    Reluctantly, she agreed. "Okay, what do you need me to do?" she asked, a heavy sigh escaping with her words.
    "Just follow my lead," he said.

A few days later, he had another concert. "Follow me up onto the stage," he said. Kayleigh climbed the short stairs to stand near him on the platform. "Okay, here comes somebody. It's showtime. What are you doing," he suddenly roared, throwing his hands up into the air, in a mock rant, that sounded quite convincing. "This is my stage. I want you off of it!"
    "Your stage. Mister Cantrell. You may be a Global Superstar and all, used to having your way all of the time. But, I'll have you know this is a Public Park. All are welcome!" Don't over do, it, Honey.
    "Arrrrgh!" he said, putting his hands over his face. "You're a stubborn Sim. It's over. How many times do I have to tell you that? It was fun, it was real, but it's OVER."
    "Humph!" she shot back.
    "Yes. It's public property, but Orion Entertainment, Limited has leased the stage for today. So, it's not open-to-the-public, per se. Certainly, not the stage!"
    Kayleigh's voice grew quieter, even in tone, as she said, "Don't tell me it's over, buster. I'll decided when it's over. And, I say, it's over as in I don't want to see you anymore. Got that? Good. Oh, and lose my phone number, okay."
    Erik watched as she made her way off of the stage in a huff. Dang, you're better than I thought. --- Did we just break up?

Down among the audience two female fans were having an animated discussion.
    "Did you just hear that? I don't think they realized the mic was live," The first one said.
    "No, maybe not, but if she just dumped him, I'll be there to pick up the pieces."

Erik wandered over to the mic/karaoke rig. "Sorry about that, just a little domestic dispute. Don't worry, we'll be fine. No, really, it's all good."

After the concert Erik dashed off to a photoshoot, once he returned to the park he took care of the plates of Ambrosia his Obsessed fans had a tendency to leave around. Many of his fans were still at the park, so he was certain to put on his best pouty face and express Sadness to drive home the point.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Chapter Five: Misdirection, Disinformation or Just Plain Fake News AKA The WEEKEND part two

Kayleigh didn't wish to choose between her two sisters, so she asked Brianna to be her Maid of Honor. Brianna was delighted, as she was already planning her own wedding and intended to have the triplets be her Bridesmaids. Taking her role very seriously, she began the Weekend with a morning at the Spa down in NewCrest. The place was well spoken of, and the clientele were high end, themselves. Not that Brianna cared about that, but her brother was a Global Celebrity. She also wanted to make this coming event special for Kayleigh and her sisters.

"We'll start off with Van Haute Estate Meloire, if you please," she said to the Mixologist on duty.
    With their glasses of juice in hand, the four Sims took seats in the foyer. The Bride-to-be with Astrid, on one side, and Brianna and Sandi on the other side.

"I would like to propose a toast to the four of us," Kayleigh said, sitting on the settee in the lounge portion of the Spa.
    "To us," the four girls chorused.

After the juice, the girls pursued various activities. Brianna chose to have a facial and a hand massage, while Kayleigh and Astrid tried Yoga. Sandi seemed to have disappeared for the time. Maybe she's just slow in changing or having a massage?

Next, Brianna had a manicure. Normally, she kept her nails short, since she spent much of the summer analyzing artifacts for the local museum.
    Her favorite brother was going to be married on Monday, a good excuse to pamper herself. Besides, what better way to show off her own engagement ring, than to have some beautiful nails?

Come Friday evening, the men lured Erik out to the bar in Willow Creek. Joseph, Sr., Drake, Spock, Aaron, and Joey were there. An impromptu Bachelor's party, of sorts. They meandered up to the bar and ordered some drinks and a platter of hummus and pita bread. Regular patrons also filed into the small bar. Erik took the time to sign a few autographs. "There you go," he smiled.

Then Captain Drake Golden gave a toast, although he had a rather strange look on his face, which made Erik wonder if his heart was truly in it. Or he's giving me a very subtle threat. Okay, Soldier-Boy, which is it?

Giving his fan and future father-in-law a confident gaze, "I promise I'll take good care of your daughter," Erik said. At the same time, he could feel the disappointment of the fan standing next to him. Nothing like inadvertently letting the 'cat-out-of-the-bag'. He shrugged. Hoist on my own Petard.

After many of the invited guests and the others left, Erik decided to play the piano. Shortly, thereafter, they all went home. With so much going on this weekend, rest was the order of the evening.

Saturday rolled around. Erik had spent a very restless sleep. Despite the air-conditioner being on, it was as hot as blazes all that sleepless night long. He still went out and performed two concerts, followed by two separate magazine photoshoots, SimTeenBeat, and SimLitHits, respectively. This was good. Then he got called to do another bit part, a Character Part, for another major film. He just hoped and prayed he wasn't being Type-Cast. But acting was fun. Despite the unrelenting heat and his full schedule, Erik expected to be exhausted. Instead, he found himself energized. Must the 'high' my brothers get working out. He grabbed a cooling shower and gussied up. After wrestling with his situation, he decided on a new plan of action. He picked up the burner-phone he'd gotten to contact Kayleigh, lest his phone, too, had been hacked. Then he set it aside. He felt horrible about trying to hide his relationship from his fans and the Paparazzi, even if he was only trying to please the love of his young life. Erik felt a pang of guilt as he held his real phone up to his ear, waiting for her to answer. "Kayleigh, there you are. I was beginning to think you'd gone out for the evening. Meet me at the Romance Festival?"

The couple arrived on the festival grounds, which was swarming with all kinds of Sims. Even one of Erik's most Obsessed fans. In fact, since Erik appeared to be available, he shorn his clothes and tried to kiss Erik. Erik deftly placed a hand on the smelly guy's shoulder and pushed him away. "I keep telling you guys, I'm not wired that way. Kayleigh, so good to see you. I've missed you so much." A flood of flashing lights, accompanied by the clacking sounds of digital pictures being snapped. Oh, good, my friends the Paparazzi are here.

Again the same fan, David, tried to foist himself upon his idol. Erik frowned at him, and shoved him away, a second time. "I told you I'm not wired that way, now beat it." After the Sim slumped off, Erik grabbed Kayleigh's hand. "C'mon, Kayleigh, let's get some of the Sakura Tea. I hear it has magical properties. Then we can sit down and talk." Erik held the teacup under the flow of the fountain, filling it to the brim. He sipped at it, trying to keep it from spilling, realized just how tasty it was and continued sipping at it. The tea had a most curious effect on him. He felt unusually empowered, enamored and willing to show it. He filled the second cup hoping Kayleigh would enjoy it, too.

Taking a seat on the bench where Kayleigh had planted herself, refusing the tea altogether, he began to wonder if she really had called things off that fateful day? She just looked at him, saying nothing. Awkward, much. "I've really missed you. Babe. Give us another chance?" He said loudly enough so others standing nearby could hear. He even tried to offer the second cup of tea, again. No use.
    "Missed me?" Kayleigh lowered her voice to a whisper, "Erik, this was all your idea," she seethed, "I'm just going along for the ride on this one." Her expression wasn't what Erik hoped for. Instead of lighting up at the sight of him, as she used to, he felt nothing short of cold 🐸🐸🐸🐸 emanating from her person. Leaning over to cuddle, he said, "I see, you're going to play hard-to-get. Okay, that's fair." Trying to woo her, he said, "Your eyes are as bright as the twinkling stars in the black sky above, …"

Kayleigh gave him a look, her brow furrowed with the glower she cast at him. Are you acting? Sighing, she said, "Is that all you've got?"
    "C'mon, Babe, work with me," he said trying to hide his dismay. "There's a wedding arch over there," he said, swallowing the rest of his tea and then downing the second unwanted cup in one gulp. "Wow, this stuff sure packs a punch. C'mon, let's do it. Right here, right now?"
    "Do what? I'm not woohooing in public."
    Erik glared at her with that. "Not asking you to. I'm asking you to marry me, right here, right now. Blame it on the Sakura Tea. I feel impetuous. C'mon, let's do it." While he talked, he held her by the hand and gently brought her over to the wedding arch until they were standing in front of it. Kayleigh was balking at the notion. She crossed her arms over her chest, as if to lock herself away from him completely.
    "I've decided you're crazy. What about our families? They have jumped through hoops to keep our," here she lowered her voice to a whisper, "wedding a secret? You want to get married tonight? Right now?"
    "Sure, why not?" he said, taking her hands in his.
    "I'll tell you why not. Our families will be hurt after all they have done to make things private, how can we ever explain this to them?"

Erik paused for a moment. He knew she was right on one level, but he could no longer wait. "We will simply renew our vows in front of them. They won't be the wiser. I've thought this all out."
    "Hm, you mean like you did the first part of this charade? I don't know," she said, but unlocked her arms from her chest.
    "Tell me, what do you know?" he said, gazing into her eyes.
    "That I love you and I've never once stopped loving you."

"Ah, music to my ears. That's what I needed to hear." Again Erik reached for her hands, she didn't pull away to his intense relief. "Kayleigh Anne Golden, I take you to be my lawfully wedded wife. To have and to hold until death us do part."
    "And I take you, too, Erik James Cantrell, to be my seriously demented Sim of a husband. To have and to hold until death us do part."
    "With this ring," he raised his voice for the small gathering crowd, "I thee wed!"
    Kayleigh pulled the ring she had for Erik out of her pocket and proceeded to slip it onto his ring finger. "With this ring, I thee wed," she said.

"I now pronounce you Sim and wife, came the electronic voice from the top of the pink floral decorated arch, along with a downpouring of confetti. "Did we just do what I think we did? Is this for real?" Kayleigh said.
    "Yes, it's real," said an onlooker. My parents got married here, too. Congratulations."

Sun shone brightly through the window, tickling Erik's eyelids. Must have dozed off. Checking the time on his watch he sprang out of bed, showered, shaved and otherwise made ready for Services. Then he began to chuckle. We did it, we're married. Wiping the grin off of his face, lest he give things away again, he finished grooming himself. Stepping out of the bathroom, he nearly bumped right into Aaron. "Hey, sleepyhead, watch where you're going," Aaron grumbled.

"I see you're your usual sunny-disposition. How can you grumble on such a glorious morning as this?"
    After Services, the family made themselves busy. Tomorrow was Erik's wedding day, some of them clucked as they saw to the completion of the little details. The place looked marvelous. The pretense was a Labor Day celebration. Once inside, however, clothing would be changed into formal attire and a small, intimate, formal wedding would take place. Erik just grinned at the thought. Most just believed he was in such a mood, in anticipation. Come the early evening, he donned his new suit and headed down to the PBP Studios for the Starlight Accolades. "Hey, if you get a chance tune in. Who knows? Maybe I'll own this night like I will own tomorrow," he called merrily as he stepped out of the front door. With a press of a button, he beamed over to the PBP Studios lot. Greeting a few fans who hung out hoping for a glimpse of their favorite star, Erik smoothed the front of his suit jacket and went inside. He took a seat. He longed for the time when Kayleigh could be seated right next to him. Tonight wasn't it

Lost in his thoughts, again, he barely heard the announcement about the aural beauty … Goes to Erik Cantrell!
    Taking the stage, he gave quiet thanks to his Maker. "I can't believe this. Thank you — again! This is such an unbelievable honor." He held up the trophy. Heavier than he remembered, he braced the bottom with his other hand. "I want to thank Taygeta Studios for the terrific job of mixing they do and for trusting my instincts. My fans, my family, and all of you who have helped me along the way. I love you, All!" He gestured toward the audience with the sparkling Accolade. Trusting his right hand to hold it, he placed his left hand over his mouth and threw symbolic kisses at the audience. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

When Erik got home he looked at his stash of trophies. I need another shelf.

• Options
    Chapter Six: Misdirection, Disinformation or Just Plain Fake News AKA The WEEKEND, part three

From the get-go, things went a little wonky. If Erik worried about his own gaffs, he was glad he made a big deal at the Romance Festival. Openly sharing. Then he began to worry. Had someone or someones blabbed about last night's moment? Was his family privy to the ruse? He couldn't think of any other reason many of them came to the house dressed in their formal wear. They were supposed to come casually dressed and change once here. Yet, here they were, the men in dark blue suits and the bridesmaids in their matching dresses, each of a different color, although Erik was aware this was a thing, these days.

In they came, while not only was his Stan on the front porch, taking advantage of the unlocked gate, as he caught a glimpse of her through the window, but he also spied a Paparazzi standing in the street of the cul-de-sac. Consulting her phone! Thankfully, Kayleigh arrived while it was still dark outside. Erik couldn't sleep either, the second night in a row. He let her in and ushered her up to Brianna's suite so she could change.

"Do you think they know? Kayleigh said, as they waited in the foyer for their grand entrance.
    "Not likely, unless somebody spread the word last night. I haven't seen anything on my Simstagram. That would explode, I'm certain."
    "What do we do? I mean, what if they ask questions?"
    "We say our vows, just like we did last night, only kindly leave out the commentary on my mental state, this time, okay? I love you. And by the way you look gorgeous."

The sounds of the Wedding March came from the Grand Piano. Joey, Jr. was busy playing away. The couple drew in a deep breath and walked to the beautifully adorned Wedding Arch.
    "No time like the present," Erik said, taking his bride's hands in his. He was clearly nervous. Erik stood as still as a statue. A silent statue, at that. Kayleigh smiled, trying to silently reassure him. Finally, he spoke, "Kayleigh Anne Can — Golden," Erik faltered. "I take thee to be my lawfully wedding wife …" leaning closer to her, "Sorry 'bout that," he whispered.
    "Not your only gaffe," she returned, "You forgot to take off your ring," she whispered. Then added, "Gosh, I hope I don't fall to pieces, too." shaking her long golden blonde hair, she gave Erik's hands a little squeeze. "Erik James Gold — Cantrell," she winked. "I take you to be my lawfully wedded husband."

The family began to laugh. Erik hoped they put it all down to nerves. He even fumbled with her ring, to help direct them to that line of thinking. What he really was doing was removing his own ring, and deftly placed it into her palm. And then both he and Kayleigh started to laugh. Almost hysterically. "Ha ha ha — With this ring, I thee wed."
    Placing the warm gold ring back onto Erik's hand she said, "With this ring I thee wed."

Leaning in close to her again, Erik whispered, "I love you more today than I did yesterday. You are my life."
    "Oh, my sweet, sweet husband, I love you, too."

"I hear there's cake, this time," Erik quietly said. The couple walked over to the banquet table covered in a blue fine-linen cloth to cut the cake. As they each put a bite on their forks and fed each other the first bite, Erik whispered, "And so, my dear children, that's how your mother and I came to be married, twice."
    Kayleigh laughed and slapped playfully at his arm. "Sh," she warned.

The hour was late, or very early depending on which way you looked at it. Four o'clock or just after. Erik was wide awake. He had a date. Kayleigh dressed in a casual outfit left the Cantrell House after the families finished celebrating Labor Day. For the second time, the two didn't have a wedding night. This was unacceptable, so Erik concocted yet another plan. This time he hoped things panned out the way it was intended. So far, the only thing they had been successful at was breaking up in public, getting back together in public and then getting married. Twice. He really, really, really felt married, yet it hadn't been consummated. For the longest time, in the chill of the early morning, he waited. No Kayleigh. He stood at the top of the dirt path, watching. Finally, he saw movement.

"There you are, I was beginning to think you weren't going to make it," Erik said, taking her hand. They chatted as he led her away from the path.
    "Sorry, I overslept. Then it was hard to get out of the double bunk without Astrid noticing. Mostly she's all over the bed. I had to lift her arm off of me. I tend to have to cliff-hand all night. Sandi is the only one of us who has a bed to herself, the top bunk."
    "Here we are, the bridal suite," he said.
    "Bridal suite? It's a bush."
    "Yes, yes, it is. But I've heard others talk about it."
    "Well, what are you waiting for, the sun will be up pretty soon," she said, swatting him on the fanny.
    "Oh, okay, yeah." Erik stepped carefully into the odd-shaped green bush that sprouted red flowers.
    Kayleigh dove in right after him.

After a time, they decided to come out. After a long time, that is.
    "Is the coast clear?" she asked.
    "Maybe, I'm not sure," Erik said, popping his head through the branches to have a look.
    "Yeah, I think we're safe, come on out," Erik said. Trying to peek over his broad should, Kayleigh also poked her head out.
    "Well, that was risky, but fun," she said with a smile.

"I hope you don't mind, but we're going to have to put-off our honeymoon until after Uni," Erik said.
    "That's okay. We've had a wedding 'night' and it was worth the wait. I love you, my dear Husband. But no more goofy plans, okay?"
    "You've got a deal."
  • Options
    Chapter Seven: Surprise!

Early Friday morning, Erik crawled out of the top bunk. He could hear Adrian in the room next door scuffling about, too. The two shared this day in common. Besides being the last day of class for the grade they were each in, it was also their joint birthday. Erik was just thirteen when Adrian decided to make his entrance into this world, much to Erik's chagrin. Louise kissed Erik on the cheek and then left for the hospital. Happy birthday to me. Just what I needed another brother. As the years went by, Erik realized having this baby brother wasn't as bad as he first made it out to be. Adrian on the whole was a nice little fella. Short for his age, though he was, when Erik saw him age-up he was stunned. Since they had just thrown a birthday bash on Wednesday, their parents decided to take the family out to dinner at the Old Home Place, Steak & Grille. A favorite eatery of the Cantrell family. Log cabin in style, this had to be another relic of times gone by.

The causal nature of the place suited them just fine. What really made this outing special is that Kayleigh was sitting right next to him. The family had really taken to her and already she was considered one of the family, even if the two were living apart for the time. University-bound as they all were, the parents decided the very young couple didn't need any problems to disrupt their pursuit of a degree. Not that a grandchild was a bad thing, just that the timing may well be off. A pregnant Sim wasn't allowed into University, for some very strange reason. She could take class from home, but then again, they would still be living apart, which the couple agreed was wholly unacceptable.

Erik was more than pleased to be at the Old Home Place, Adrian, too. The new teen campaigned for a mere chocolate cake, but Erik's request for the Blue Confetti ruled the day. As soon as it was brought out, Erik tasted the frosting, allowing his little brother the joy of blowing out the candles, which he finally succeeded in doing after his second try. "You need to work on your lungs, Bro," Erik teased.
    While they awaited their dinner, they indulged in the deliciousness of the blue confetti.

After the wonderful evening, they dropped Kayleigh off at her father's home, just a few blocks away from the restaurant. Erik hugged her lovingly, wishing never to have to let her go. Now that they were married, it seemed he saw her less than prior. Not the way he imagined things.

Sunday rolled around. The Cantrells met the Goldens at Services, where Kayleigh snaked her way through the nave to stand next to Erik. They discreetly held hands throughout the long Liturgy. Then the Cantrells, Kayleigh included, dashed back to The Cantrell House. Today was Joey's birthday. A much more subdued celebration was planned. Joey really didn't like crowds, on the whole. Just family suited him fine.

"Make a wish," Erik said. "And make it a good one." After indulging in a piece of cake, Erik and Kayleigh headed upstairs via the back stairs to the gaming room where they tested each other in an all-out winner-take-all campaign of Foosball. Erik was actually winning, but he let a few balls escape his attention, but don't tell Kayleigh that. She left shortly thereafter believing she rightly and fairly held the new title.

Erik ran after here, "Hey, what's the rush? Are you going to leave without letting me give you the gift I bought for you at the Henford Festival?"
    "You bought me a gift?" Feigning surprise.
    "Well, yeah, your birthday is tomorrow. Besides, I was hoping you could stay a little while longer."
    "I would, but the Accolades Show is tonight."
    "Yeah, it's every Sunday. So?"
    "Erik, I think you should go."
    "Why? I'm not even nominated for anything."
    "Oh, don't turn into one of those, please. You should go to support your new friends. They were there for you, after all."
    "Okay, I'll go. But I'll be back as soon as it's over. Wait for me?"
    "I have one last day of high school, just like you did. Good night, Erik. I love you." Giving him a quick kiss, that fast she was gone. Erik sighed.

Reluctantly, Erik went inside. He took his time changing into his new red suit. Brushed his teeth, gussied up, sprayed himself with cologne and used his breath spray. He barely made it down to the PBP Studios. Just in time to hear the announcement, "Roll out the red carpet, it's time for the Starlight Accolades! Rushing inside, he grabbed a seat in the second row, as was customary for him. He applauded for Thorne Bailey, Holly Alto. Even Judith Ward received an award. Smiling, shaking hands, giving the thumbs up. Then to his amazement he heard his name announced. "Say, what?"

Dumbfounded, he just stood at the microphone for a moment, trying to process what just happened. He received no such notice of a nomination. This made number five. Five. He didn't even know which song, then realized it was for Best New Artist. He shrugged. Nah, can't be. After a few more moments of the awkward silence, he found his voice. "I'm nearly speechless, which I know makes many of you happy," he grinned. "This is just so unexpected. Really, I wouldn't even be here, but for my lovely wife. I came to support my friends. Wow. Thank you, I love you all!"

Throwing kisses at the audience, he said, "And I do mean all of you!"
  • Options
    Chapter Eight: Reflections

University was a time of growth. A time to examine who a Sim was and what they wanted to become. Erik wasn't left out of this process. Newly married, his career skyrocketing, exploding really. He had won five Starlight Accolades. So, he had to ask himself why he so bothered that their parents, both sets, had been right? All seven of them arrived at Dark Wing House late Wednesday evening. The place was fully furnished, so they only had their personal items to bring in.

Erik had only seen the place online. The camera angles always distorted what a room really looked like. He and Kayleigh claimed what was deemed the Master Bedroom, with an adjoining bathroom. "This is pretty nice," Erik said. Kayleigh smiled, as she pulled him into the master bath. "Look, it has a shower." She had that look in her eye and Erik grinned.
    "Should we try it out?" He barely got the words out when she was suddenly all over him.

What the couple was unaware of, is that the second upstairs bathroom shared a wall with their bathroom.
    Hm, seems as if they couldn't wait any longer, Astrid thought, wondering just what the Term was going to be like living with lovebirds. Admitting she was a tad jealous.

Working hard to be a responsible tenant, Joey, Jr., took it upon himself to rake the yard before the fallen leaves got any more out-of-control. He was very dedicated to getting ever last one of them, too. Somewhere along the line, he grew fatigued, or ran out of time. He and Aaron were both on the Soccer Team, which required practice every late afternoon. A huge pile of leaves was in the walkway, just outside of the front door. Kayleigh stood looking at it wondering if she should take a match to it, to help Joey out. Before she had decided, Erik finally got back from releasing one of the albums he had all packaged and ready to go, to keep himself relevant. Kayleigh met him out front of the dwelling, nodding toward the huge pile of leaves on the front walkway.

"You're kidding, you mean you want to …there? I know our very first time was in a bush, but now you seem intent on woohooing just about anywhere. The shower and now here? Okay, I'm game." With that he placed his hands on her tiny waist and kissed her. Then he gently took her by the hands and let himself fall backward into the pile of gold, green, and magenta leaves.

Not long after their escapades, Kayleigh gave Erik the news. "Erik, can we talk? I know you're trying to get all of your homework done, but this is important."
    'Sure, Babe, what is it?" He said, barely looking up from his books.
    "I took a test today."
    "And?" He said, giving her his full attention. Something in the tone of her voice.
    "It came out positive."
    "Positive, what kind of a grading system is your professor using? I've heard of pass or fail …"
    "This wasn't a test for school. We're having a baby." She stood in such a way to show off a still flat tummy.

"Come again?" Erik dropped his pencil. "Did you say a baby? Now? Oh, man, they were right."
    The brightness in Kayleigh's blue eyes dimmed for a bit. She appeared to pout. "Does this mean you're not happy about it?"
    Erik retrieved his pencil from the floor. Instead of taking his seat again, he remained standing. "No, it just means we're going to have to do some adjusting," he said, tossing the pencil onto the diningroom table. He opened his arms wide, "Come here, I love you, Kay-Kay and I love our little nooboo. We'll make this work."

"What do you mean by adjustments?" She said snuggled in his arms.
    "We'll have to find a reliable Daycare for an infant. Our schedules are such we won't always be at the house. Same with the others. We'll have to get it all worked out. Can't leave a baby alone."
    "No, of course not. But we have days to go."
    "Kayleigh, there's not always an opening. Sometimes you have to book ahead, if you know what I mean. I don't think any of our professors will allow us to tote him to class with one of us."
    "You are going to make a remarkable daddy. I love you so much."
    "And I love you, too. Despite the curve balls you like to throw at me." Erik chuckled.

Despite the fact that Erik had won four Best Song Accolades and a fifth one for Best New Artist. The next nomination caused him another round of nightmares. He'd get all the way down to Del Sol Valley, which took about half an hour by hovercraft, just to get into the Studio to find Sims leaving. From stars to the mixologist. He waited around for a bit, even sat in what had become his favorite chair. Waited in vain. No Host ever graced the premises. He had this dream at least twice, in a row. Finally, awaking in a cold sweat he sat upright in bed. Kayleigh placed a hand on his arm. "The dream again?"
    "Yeah, it's so weird, too. At one point I dreamt they replaced the entire PBP Studios for the way it used to be before the renovations occurred."
    "Did it help?"
    "I don't know. We'll see what happens this coming Sunday, I guess."
    "Okay, do you mind if I go back to sleep, then? I have an early class."

Erik stood and stared at his own reflection in the master bathroom mirror. All showered, dressed and otherwise gussied up, he held some reservations about going. He supposed rather than taking that long drive into Del Sol Valley, he could simply transport himself there. That way, he wouldn't lose an hour's time, should he find the others filing out of the Studio. For a certainty, he wouldn't hang around for very long. In his dreams there was a telltale sign that the Awards Show wasn't going to happen. Perhaps, that's what the dreams were trying to convey to him.

In the end he took the faster route and beamed into the PBP Studio parking lot. A few fans, as expected, were hanging out front. Through the long windows he could even see Thorne Bailey standing over at the bar. With the way his hands were flailing, Erik figured he was regaling the Mixologist with one of his 'stories'. Erik couldn't blame him he often did the same thing. He signed an autograph or two and then made his way indoors. Hotter than Vulcan was his thought. Erik had almost forgotten that here they had what was termed Indian Summers. The calendar may say it's Fall, but the weather reflected the heat of summer, still. He was glad he'd worn a much lighter suit. Taking what he now deemed to be his seat, he was a bit relieved when it was announced It's the Starlight Accolades. This time a Host did show up and awards were handed out. Before the end of the evening Erik's name was called. "For Song of the Year, Early Morning Mist music and lyrics written by Erik Cantrell!"

Erik made it to the microphone and again gave silent thanks to his Lord. Laughing a bit to hide his emotions, he said, "This has been one heck of a year so far. I don't believe this." He smiled widely. The audience appreciation was long and loud. "I would like to thank my wife, Kayleigh, my family. My producers, Taygeta Music Studios, for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to prove myself as a musician." Holding the shining accolade in both hands, he was again using it to gesture toward the audience. "I couldn't do this without all of the support. Mostly, I would like to thank my Fans. This is for you. Thank you."

Erik paused to smile. "I don't wish to forget —Thank you, also goes to Orion Entertainment, Limited, for taking a chance on a Rising Star who was so very green he didn't know which end of his guitar was up. Yet they pushed me out onto that concert stage. Thank you." Holding the trophy high, he said, "There goes the music. To anyone I inadvertently missed, Thank you!"
  • Options
    DuckyQueenDuckyQueen Posts: 342 Member
    I love the Erik Cantrell life and I’m sad that you aren’t posting them in the story thread anymore but sadly all good things must come to an end
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    YellowLady wrote: »
    I love the Erik Cantrell life and I’m sad that you aren’t posting them in the story thread anymore but sadly all good things must come to an end

Only because I can't just give a mere paragraph of what happened, nor am I comfortable leaving out the pictures. I have to say, that once I've got all the posts into the Creative Corner, I will go back and delete them from the Non-Serial thread, lest I get in trouble for spamming. I am saving each post in my word-processing program, pictures and all, so all won't be lost. Hubby just reiterated I need a new computer with more memory and more power to keep up with me. We'll see how soon he can make that happen. I did look for the original WHIYGT thread, but it's either been removed or is so very deep in the pile I couldn't find it. Leaves me asking myself, why am I here?
  • Options
    Chapter Nine: Complications

News spreads quickly when you live in close quarters. Just as Kayleigh learned at the end of their First Term in Uni, her medical status was keeping her from registering for the second Term, she also learned the others didn’t wish to have her study from home. If she was being forced to leave, then they were all leaving. This was devastating. Each one had goals for their future that required a degree. Kayleigh struggled with her sense of guilt. None would budge from their decision, despite her pleas.

Once this was made known, Joey, majoring in Biology, was quick to ask, “What business is it of theirs if a student has a medical condition. Why should that matter?”
    “Joey,” Erik stood up. “Kayleigh’s pregnant.”
    “What? Wait, when?”
    “Just recently. She’s only about two months along, by her doctor’s calculations, that is. But the Administration says the school has no provisions for proper care required for this condition.”
    “Condition. Did they actually use that antiquated term? Sheesh, this is so —”
    “Discriminatory,” Aaron said. He was studying History so he could pursue a career in law.
    “It may also be premature,” Erik sighed. “She’s been having some problems. She keeps feeling as if huge amounts of Adrenalin is coursing through her body. I had to rush her to the emergency ward late last night.”
    “Oh,” Joey said, “I’m so sorry.”
    “The baby’s okay, so far. But the doctor spoke guardedly.”

Just as the seven were on their way back to their respective parents’ home, Kayleigh had some serious cramping. Again, Erik rushed her to the emergency ward. He paced the floor while the doctor examined his wife. Erik knew the minute the doctor came to fetch him from the Private Waiting Room. The doctor’s expression said it all. “Mr. Cantrell, I am so sorry. There was no saving the baby. Your wife is going to be just fine and as soon as her number count returns to normal, feel free to try again.”

The young married couple wasn’t the only one struggling. Both Joey and Aaron, Trainees for the Britechester-U Soccer Team, had suffered two horrendous losses in two consecutive weeks. Their coach was not a happy Sim. Three consecutive wins in the beginning of the season, just wasn’t enough for him. He was a hard Sim to please. He also hated losing. This left both the young adults wondering if his job was on the line or something?

Unfortunately, Aaron was late, twice for two different practice sessions, in the same week. The fact that he was doing his daily homework just didn’t fly as an adequate excuse. Aaron received a yellow card. Two more and he was off of the Team. Twice already, he had been kicked off the field in the middle of a game. Once for an injury that Aaron was willing to play through despite the pain, and the second time for mouthing off at what he perceived was an injustice. He really didn't like the Coach. The feeling was mutual, and it showed.

While Erik and Kayleigh were busy dealing with their situation, Joey and Astrid were growing close, and so was Aaron and Sandi. Each couple was spending more and more time together, their strong friendships flourishing into something far deeper.

Once home the Cantrell kids talked with Joseph Cantrell, Sr., who was the Head of Registration at Britechester-U. “I’m sorry, I can’t change the rules for my own kids. How would that look?”
    “So, what do we do, now? Throw away a perfect Term? We all got straight A pluses," Aaron said. “And it wasn’t easy.”
    “Why don’t you simply register for that Second Term?” Joseph said. “There’s no longer a situation to hamper you’re going back. Especially with those fantastic grades. Talk it over,” he advised. “Let me know what you plan on doing.”
    “Thanks, Dad.”
    “I’m sorry for your loss, son.” Erik nodded.

The next morning all seven of the Students went out to Millie's Café for brunch. Seated around the long, rectangular table in the corner by the kitchen, they began an earnest discussion as to what comes next. “Well, I think we should all go back,” Kayleigh said, without push-back, to her relief.
    “Yeah, she’s right,” Astrid and Sandi chorused.
    "Are you sure you're up to it, Kayleigh?" Sandi said, a look of concern gracing her pretty face.
    "I'll be fine," Kayleigh promised.

“Well, that will mean Joey and I spend the evenings at practice.”
    “But I thought you disliked the Coach,” Sandi said, glancing over at Aaron, who kept his gaze on his plate as he scooted the eggs around with his fork. When he failed to speak, Joey filled the silence.
    “We do,” he returned. “The problem being with our scholarships, we’re obligated to be on the Soccer Team —”
    “Or risk losing the scholarship,” Erik said. “They’ve got you over a barrel, you know.”
    “Ah, it’s not so bad,” Joey said. “I like playing.”
    “Yeah, me, too,” Aaron said, finally taking a bite of his breakfast. “Coach is just going to have to deal with this powerhouse.” Aaron gestured to Joey and himself.

This time, they managed to move into Wyvern Hall. Provisions had been made for the married couple to have a double bed in the front corner room. One of the single beds was moved to the back corner room on the same side of the building. The other was placed into storage. All in all, this left room for three dorm-mates. Kayleigh was still a little shaky on her feet. She walked rather slowly and just crossing the room made her exhausted. She just made provisions to rise earlier than she would normally, and head to class earlier so as to not be late. After just a few weeks, she was back to her old self.

Erik licensed another new song during this second Term. Again, he received a nomination, almost immediately. He also released the second album package he had ready to go.

Sitting in the end seat of the second row, as was his usual place, he sat contemplating his life. His wife, his lost baby, wondering just what it would have been like to take care of an infant and keep up with his schooling. The thought made him a bit melancholy. He was certain both he and Kayleigh would have been drowning, however. Deep into these thoughts, Thorne Bailey was nudging him in the ribs. “Hey, you just won Best Song, Bud. this is your seventh, isn't it?"
    "Yeah, I believe it is."
    "Congratulations.”
    "Thank you, that means a lot."
    "You okay?"
    "Yeah. I will be."

Erik said a quick, silent prayer for strength and to also clear his head. He just won again. Focusing on more positive thoughts, he stood at the microphone, accepted the award and then paid silent homage to his Lord. Glory to You. then he smiled and gaze at the audience. "I am very honored for this astounding recognition. Thank you." Once the applause died away, he continued his speech, "As you all know I just began my second term at Britechester-U. Stressful, very stressful."

Again the applause was generous. Erik nearly blushed. "You see, you get good grades in the first term, and they expect you to just keep it up. No room for failure, late papers, or bad test scores. But, I get invited to come to the Starlight Accolades and you're all so very kind to bestow upon me this honor. I am without words. Thank you, All."
    With that he held up the trophy, to another round of applause. He was beginning to think he could do no wrong, thoughts he shut off, quickly.
    "Thank you and good night, I have homework to do."
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Chapter Ten: Of Nightmares & Other Bits

Erik tossed himself awake and sat up on his elbow looking around the darkened room. "Are you all right?" Kayleigh said from the other side of the double bed, her comforting hand on his shoulder blade.
    "Yeah, yeah. Just had the weirdest dream, though."
    "Tell me," She urged.
    "Okay. Yeah, maybe that would help," Erik dragged his hand through his long, unruly blond locks. "I will caution you, the whole thing is irrational, at best."
    "Is that a tease, or are you about to launch into another one of your Outrageous stories?" Kayleigh yawned and stretched.
    "We decided to move before the end of the Second Term," he said settling back into his pillow again.
    "Move? Move where? And why?"
    "Hey, I told you it was irrational. We started out in the renovated Dark Wing building. They sent you home because you were pregnant, so all of us went with you. Then we ended up back in our parents' homes. Since we couldn't get back on campus."
    "What, how strange?"
    "I know, right?"

"I even thought we had to start the entire process all over again. Then I realized we still had our scholarships so we just needed to re-enroll, which wouldn't have been all that bad but in the process of moving, all of us lost our presentation boards. If only we had waited until our presentations had been made … irrational. All of that hard work gone." He sighed, worried that he was actually missing his own board.
    "Well, that's not our first bit of irrational behavior and it's not limited to just us," Kayleigh said, with a smile.
    "I love how perky you are in the mornings, but I'm not done with my tale," Erik said.
    "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm beginning to believe you've truly launched into another one of your Outrageous stories, after all."
    "If it is, they've invaded my dreams." He frowned.
    "You're really serious about this, aren't you."
    "As I was saying, none of us had our presentation boards. That's when we decided to move back to Britechester-U. This time we all enrolled in Wyvern Hall. We almost had the entire dorm to ourselves. I had by this time six Accolades under my belt — five for Best Song and one for Best New Artist of the Year. And our presentation boards were all back in our possession, finished and ready to go. We all managed to get our presentations given and on time."

"And … I sense there's more."
    "No, we finished the Second Term with GPAs of A's. Each one of us. Basically, we're back to where we left off when those nightmares about the Starlight Accolades Show ceasing, began to take place. Then my mom showed up at the Awards Show. She won for being a really nice Sim. I had no idea that was even a category. But, the next week, the Show failed to take place, again. And that's when we ended up here again. Boards all turned in, Second Term finally over. And we all began the Third and Final Term."
    "Oh, well, that's good. You do have another show tonight," Kayleigh smiled. "That could be the source of your apparent anxiety. And I have class soon." She leaned over to kiss him and slipped out of their private dorm room. "We'll talk more about this later, okay? I love you. Try not to worry."

Friday went by quickly. Erik managed to get all of his homework done. He even finished editing to perfection his Term paper. With the click of a button, off it went to his Professor. Done and done, he clucked to himself. Then he set up a presentation board and began collecting the data. Ouch, forbidden words! he muttered, pushing the pin into his left hand. Looking around, he was glad his Paparazzi companions were nowhere to be seen, for once. His two brothers managed to win Friday night's soccer game. But come Saturday, no such luck. Despite how the two wracked their hearts, souls and minds for this game, the other team slaughter 'em. Both came back to the dorm looking dirty, and downhearted. They both were decidedly odiferous, too. He was very glad they headed to the showers. Erik felt for them as he slipped out to do a photoshoot, a concert and yet another bit part in a major movie. By the time he got back the lights were all out and he could hear gentle snoring, here and there. Come the morning, the Cantrell's and the Golden's were all up and ready for Church Services. Father James gave a rather stirring Homily and Erik realized he was precisely where he was meant to be. Why should he lay up riches on earth when he couldn't take it with hi?. Just to have the objects decay. His riches were in heaven. Erik was certain to thank Father James for the timely reminder. It's okay if I don't win again tonight. I'm just going to relax and root for my friends.

"Erik, before you go," Kayleigh said, wrapping her arms about him. "Um, you smell so very good. Sure you can't spare a few minutes? Might help you relax," she breathed. Erik smiled broadly at her.
    "If this is your way of wishing me luck, I like it," he said returning the hug.
    "Just remember what Father James said today. You'll be fine."
    "Thank you. Besides I already have seven to dust," he laughed and smiled and vanished down the elevator.

"And the winner for Best Song, is … Erik Cantrell!" Erik stood up and made his way to the microphone. Taking up the heavy trophy he said,
    "I am afraid this is becoming a bit of a habit with me," he smiled. "Sincerely, I am quite honored. And this just doesn't get old. Thank you."
    The audience applauded, believing his speech was over. Yet, Erik remained where he was standing. "Aw, I know you get tired of hearing from me but are you certain I got the entire thirty seconds? I haven't even thanked my mother, yet."

Before any of them knew it, the Third Term was nearly done. Brianna, surprisingly, barely had time to write, edit and turn in that final Term Paper. Erik managed to rush down to the Taygeta Studios to release his thirteenth album, Tangled Roots. His album royalties had almost caught up to the wage of a single concert. The reception of this latest endeavor was well-received. Erik was in danger of thinking he could do no wrong, but quickly caught himself, for a second time. That kind of thinking will be your death knell, he chastised himself. Next thing they all knew, the last day of the term had arrived. Kayleigh was wandering around with a dreamy-eyed look on her face for a few days, now. He wondered just what she was up to. She positively glowed, he realized. Beautiful already, she almost looked ethereal. Oh, well she'll tell me in due time.

Testing over, hours later the report cards were posted. Again, they all got A's. Erik, Aaron, Joey, Brianna and Kayleigh bore A-pluses straight down the line, while Sandi and Astrid each had three A+'s and one A. Still resulted in a GPA of A-plus. They all had a great deal to be proud about. Erik quickly threw a party together. "Hey, Wyvern Hall at seven. Best Kegger you'll ever take part in," he told his guests. Astrid, with some skill in Mixology was quick to tap the keg. She got it primed and poured a few glasses of the juice.
    "Keg Stand," Aaron said to Erik. Erik was quick to oblige. He knew his older brother was hurting. The Coach called that afternoon to scold him for not doing a better job and if Aaron wasn't careful, he'd find himself off of the team. Later on, after the school day was done, and Aaron and Joey were getting ready for soccer practice, Aaron got the notice he was off of the team. Still later, when he didn't show up for practice, the Coach called again and read Aaron the riot act. "Coach, excuse me, sir. Coach. Coach. I was told I was off the team. Yes, sir. I'm graduating tomorrow. I'm sorry I missed practice, but can you blame me?" For what it was worth Joey got the notice he was off the team, too.

"Okay," Erik said, "but don't you go getting mad at me if you get into some kind of trouble, later. Hey, save some for me, okay?" he said as he watched his brother gulp down the juice greedily. While there was the traditional contest for the Graduating Class, all they need do is empty a keg. Erik preferred more Sims had their chance to help the win.

While it was Erik's turn for a keg stand, other things were going on in the dorm he knew nothing about.
    "Hey, Thorne Buddy, thanks for the lift."

Distracted, seeing to his guests, he had no clue that Aaron and Sandi were busy tying the proverbial knot. Erik missed the Event, entirely to his chagrin. He really loved his family. Missing out on things important to them made him sad.
    As Aaron and Sandi were getting hitched on one side of the dorm, Joey and Astrid also tied the knot.
    Seems love was in the air.

Later, inspired by the other, perhaps, Spock and Brianna also took the matrimonial plunge. Thorne Bailey was there to act as Witness. Again, Erik missed out. Busy being the Host with the Most, as he was.

Once Erik saw to it that the keg was empty, Kayleigh had a surprise for him, too. "I was going to wait to tell you after graduation tomorrow, because I didn't want to steal anybody's thunder. But since the others have already taken this night to be their own …"
    "Wait, what have the others done?"
    "Aaron and Sandi, Joey and Astrid, and Spock and Brianna have all tied the knot."
    "I knew Brianna was engaged. Her marriage was arranged by High Counselor T'Pau and since Bree's a Vulcan Citizen her only option at refusal was to drop the tea in Spock's lap. I had no clue the others were even engaged. Why doesn't anybody tell me what's going on around here?"
    Probably because you tend to carry everybody's burdens on your own shoulders. "Hush a minute. I just told you about them. Let me tell you about us. I have some news," she said. "We're having a baby!" Again, Kayleigh pushed her still flat tummy out for him to gaze upon.

"Wait, what? Did I hear you right? It's so noisy in here." Erik's expression was one of shock, tinged with fear. Kayleigh smiled and put his emotions down as simply his fear of what happened, previously. She smiled to defray his troubled emotions.
    "It's true, I took one of those tests and it's positive."
    "I'm going to be a father." Erik nodded slowly, letting the news sink in. Please, God, let this one be born. "Kayleigh, you've just made me the happiest Sim on the planet! Come here," he said, as he hugged his wife, tightly.

The next day they all got up early. Erik spent time the night before straightening up the dorm. You couldn't even tell a party had taken place. Guess no more Nasty Notes will show up. Excited, but tired, they were all ready for this day to be done. Anxious to get on with their lives.
    To put emphasis on that notion, one of Erik's more Obsessed Fans had let himself into the Dorm. He was very persistent, too, trying his best to throw himself at Erik. "I keep trying to tell you I'm not wired that way, Bud. I like females, exclusively. Not only that but I'm married. Did you miss that tidbit in the news twenty plus days back? The Fan leaned in once more, undeterred. Erik reared back, one arm over the opposite shoulder, hoping it wouldn't come to blows.

The hour drew near and the group left Wyvern Hall to attend the Graduation Ceremony. Together was some Dormmates, they gathered near the side of the auditorium. There were at least sixteen Sims in green graduation robes, complete with those flat top scholarly caps, with tassel. Sandi gazed upward at the cloudy sky above. "Do you think it's going to rain?" She asked.

Finally, they were all beckoned into the auditorium for the ceremony. Once the ceremony was complete, this same group congregated outside where they started. In only a moment, they all threw their hats up into the air, simultaneously. "Congratulations, Class of 2279," Erik shouted.

• Options
    Chapter Eleven: How Quickly Time Passes …

Feeding Jamison used to be easy. He always gobbled down his bottle of milk and when they put him on 'solid' food, as in the pureed baby food, or if Kayleigh was up to it, she would strain it and mash it herself, from vegetables grown in their own garden. The baby yowled in between bites. They couldn't shovel it in fast enough for the infant. Erik was simply astonished at how quickly the child grew. So tiny at birth and now he was all but running.

Erik placed his Toddler son into the high chair. He then put a plate on the tray. A whole peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Jamison refused to touch it. "Since when did you become a picky eater?" Erik said, hands on his hips. He lifted the sandwich to the boy's mouth. Jamison clenched it closed.
    "Okay, so what's wrong with it? Mama says you like P, B & J. Go on, it's peanut butter and jelly. You like that."
    "Mama cut it."
    "I'm not Mama, but I'll cut it if you at least take a bite." Before Erik could remove the plate, Jamison had yet another request.
    "Potty."
    "What? Oh, okay, come on, let's go." Erik picked up the child and sat him on the potty-chair in the bathroom off of the kitchen.
    "There we go, there we go. Okay, that's a good, good boy."

By the time Erik got him back into the highchair to finish his lunch, Jamison was crying and carrying on as if his best friend had just gone missing. Erik let him out. An exhausted Jamison passed out on the floor. "Oh, great. We missed napped time. I'll be back, don't move." Erik ran up the stairs to check on the newborns. Taking care of their simultaneous needs, he was ready for a nap himself.

Erik trudged back down the stairs. At that time Jamison was waking up. "Feel better, after some sleep, do you?" Jamison nodded. "Okay, let's to outside, shall we?"
    While it was chilly outside, the sun was up and it was rather beautiful. "Isn't it a nice brisk day, Jamie?"
    "Bear," the boy said.
    They played Bear. Erik swooped the tiny tot up into the air, held him upside down for a bit, up and down and up and down, and then twirled him onto his broad shoulders, acting as if he couldn't see the boy. "Where did you go? Jamie, where are you?" The child giggled. And then Erik decided it was story time. Not as young as I once was, he silently groused, trying to catch his breath. "Once upon a time, …" Erik began, holding the Toddler book in his lap, so that Jamison could see the pictures and turn the pages. Erik continued reading.
    "Why?" Jamison asked, when the story was over.
    "Well, because that's how the story is written. You should listen to your Daddy. I have a University degree."
    "Why?"
    "Because a Degree makes a Sim smart — and your Grandpa made me get it."
    "Why?"
    "Is that the only question you know how to ask?"
    "Huh-huh, Daddy funny."

Later, Erik was upstairs seeing to his beautiful identical twin daughters. Both were in an uproar and he hoped Kayleigh returned from her outing, soon. His cell went off. Adrian wanted to chat. "Hey, Adri, how's it going?"
    "What's all that noise in the background?"
    "Noise? Oh, that's just Melody and Harmony —"
    "That's not melody or harmony. That's cacophony, brother."
    "I know, but once I get them settled …"
    "Good luck with that one. Are you over there by yourself? I can come over and help, if you need me to."
    "Sure, come on over. I'll never refuse help."
  • Options
    Chapter Twelve: Deja Vu

Once again, Erik licensed a piece of music. Always trying to better himself, he was surprised with just how fast the nomination came back to him. Sadly, along with the impending Awards Show, his sleep was equally disrupted. The nightmare scenarios always ended the same way. The show would be announced and then the exodus began with Thorne Bailey leading the way. Erik wondered why this happened so much. Why couldn't he sleep well the night before, get up and go to Church, then fill the rest of his afternoon with leisurely things, like taking care of his chickens, his garden, or just spending time with his infant daughters and Toddler son, and his gorgeous, sweet wife. Why did he have to go through this?

There was a time when he never earned a nomination for his music. Finally, he was getting noticed but it came with a price, apparently. He seriously thought about skipping the show and designating one of his friends to accept it on Erik's behalf, should he win, that is. Again, he and Kayleigh returned from St. James Church. He quickly changed his clothes and took care of the weeds threatening to take over his modest garden. He harvested the mushrooms and the herbs. He also cleaned the chicken coop and collected the eggs. Then as the afternoon grew long, he went inside to shower and select just which suit to wear for the Show tonight. He refused to wear the same thing twice to this Event. Being a bit of a clothes horse, this wasn't a worry for him. Often the suit was of the same cut and style but the swatch of material was enough to make it look different. Finally, he was ready to go.

Erik sat in the second row on the end, as usual. He had been here so much it was becoming habitual. And he began to see that particular chair as his. The announcer spoke over the intercom system "Roll out the Red Carpet, it's time for the Starlight Accolades!" He was glad he had that one glass of Meloire to help settle his nerves. At least Thorne had taken a seat and the mixologist was still here. In came the Host. Erik began to relax. "Tonight just to mix things up a bit we are going to start off with the Music Category of the Show. For bringing such aural beauty to ears around the world, Erik Cantrell has won his Ninth Starlight Accolade. Congratulations, Erik!" the Host stepped back from the mic and began to applaud, as did those in the studio. The one mixologist who was also a part-time Paparazzi began to snap photos of Erik, the flashes bouncing off of his wire-rim glasses and nearly blinding him for a time. Erik walked slowly up to the microphone. He reached down and picked up the trophy, amazed. When was he ever going to get used to the weight of these things?

Taking a silent moment, he thanked his God, before he spoke into the mic, "I want you to know that I never take these things for granted. I am deeply touched that you show so much faith in my music. I really can't even believe I'm standing up here again." He gripped the trophy with two hands one on the bottom and the other around the beveled glass neck that rose gracefully to the golden star. "It seems impossible, in fact. I would like to thank my Fans, first and foremost, for taking me on this adventure. I want to thank Taygeta Studios, Orion Entertainment, Limited, my parents, my music teachers, my many siblings, my inlaws. All who ever showed any faith in my abilities, and the Starlight Accolade Academy for their generosity in even considering me for an award. Thank you."

Holding the award out toward the audience, Erik gazed directly into the TV camera. "To my beautiful wife and life-partner, Kayleigh, and my three small children, for still loving that Sim in the Corner I have become to them. Thank you for allowing me to pursue my Life's Dream."
    Looking a tad worried, he went on, "I pray I haven't left anyone out."
    "You left me out," Thorne Bailey said from the audience.
    "What are you talking about, Thorne?" Erik frowned slightly.
    "I bought a copy of your very first CD. Two, in fact, since I dropped the first one and it shattered."
    "Well, thank you so much, Buddy. I do appreciate that. That CD went Platinum. So, this is for you, too, then. Oh, there's the music cue. Thank you again, so very much. And good night everybody."

With that Erik left the stage so that the rest of the show could go on.
  • Options
    Chapter Thirteen: Security Has Been Breached

A chill went down Erik's spine. He was out most of this evening well into the wee hours, which wasn't unusual for him. Tonight something felt off. First there was a tiered cake left on the foyer floor. He took a moment to check the main level. Formal livingroom, diningroom, kitchen, office, bathroom. He was alone. But still he suffered another round of chills. Then he climbed the stairs to the second floor. In looking around for his family, he found Kayleigh was just putting Jamison to bed for the night. In the dimness, Erik saw a glowing plate of Ambrosia, a telltale sign one or both of his Obsessed Fans had been inside of his house. Erik began to shake. It was one thing to have them continually hanging around his residence along with his very own STAN, but to think they had somehow hacked their way into his Inner Sanctum was greatly disturbing. Not for him, but for his wife and four small children. Kayleigh had recently given birth to their second son, and fourth child, Andrew.

He kept the two outside gates locked. The mechanism was such the sensor could detect he and Kayleigh and let them in, much like the door sensors on a starship. Immediately Erik checked the gates to find one of them unlocked. Who or why was it unlocked and for how long?
    Maybe, he thought, the gate was left unlocked when they invited family over to meet little Andrew.

Erik sat down next to Kayleigh. "Honey, I don't want to alarm you, considering I do most of my business in the early hours, leaving you and the kids alone for several hours, but I'm going to have the technician set the front and back doors to allow the kids to come in and go out as they do now. Beyond the gates, I want both doors to remain locked at all times."
    "Is this about the Ambrosia and the tiered cakes you found?" she gazed up at him concerned. Erik kept her hand tightly in his.
    "Yes, I only know of two Sims who do that. If it isn't of their doing, then I may have to hire security guards."
    "Erik, I really don't think either of them would try to hurt us. Are you sure you're not overreacting, just a bit? They've always been so nice. Even at Wyvern Hall they made messes and one tried his best to hit on you, but neither of them ever hurt anyone."

Erik sat back on the settee a little and sighed. "The truth of the matter is, I lost my temper at them the other day. I know, I know. But they were making a mess on the backside of our fence. Bad enough they leave trash piles, plates of Ambrosia and sometimes half-eaten cakes on the ground everywhere out front, I just don't need it out back as well."

His children were often out in the backyard. Innocently playing on their Toddler Gym, or Jamison talked to the plant in Erik's garden. Erik found the tyke's rather animated conversations with the sage bush quite amusing, in fact. Lately, Melody had noticed the chickens. She had taken a shine to them and could be found inside the chicken yard, hugging them upon occasion. So far, Erik thought, the chickens didn't appear to mind. Would that was my only concern.

Erik just needed to be able to go about his life without fear. Up until now he hadn't felt intimidated by his Fans, now he was unsure whom he could trust. He could 'what if' himself to death, but he preferred not to do so. He would have security cameras set up both outside and inside the house for added security and pray that he would gain some solace with that. And in time, he could come and go at will. For now, he just wanted to hold his family tight, lest he lose them.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Chapter Fourteen: When Panic Breeds Panic

For a time, his Obsessed Fans made themselves scarce. Erik allowed himself to relax, realizing Kayleigh was right. He was overreacting. He held concerts, without the bodyguards he sincerely thought about hiring, went about his business as if nothing inside of him had changed. In reality, he no longer felt secure. Safe. Then after he recorded, mixed and released his fifteenth album, Heart of the Country, he came home from the studios to see he had been visited. Three plates of Ambrosia, a half-eaten tiered cake and an empty plate lay on the ground just outside of his security gates.

Instead of feeling loved, as their presence used to invoke, Erik again found himself quaking. He had to think about the well-being of his family. Their safety was his priority. Erik promptly got on the phone to call his contractor. "I am in need of a Panic Room," he told the Sim. "How soon can you get it complete?" Erik listened as the Contractor hemmed and hawed about time, where he could place such a room and a whole line of what Erik considered a bunch of bull. When the Sim stopped talking for a moment, Erik said, "Can't you just transform the basement? Okay, good. I'll expect your crew on Monday. Thank you."

Within a very short time, as Erik paid the Sim handsomely for his efforts, and Aaron was instrumental in cutting through some of the red tape for the Inspectors to get their job done in a timely manner, the Panic Room was finished. What had once been a comfortable Music Room, although underground, had been augmented into a rather fine, large, nicely appointed, Panic Room. There was a fireplace in one corner of the square room, with a grouping of furniture. To the left of that was a small kitchen area with nice counters, a sink, dishwasher, stove and a refrigerator. Along the perpendicular wall from the fireplace, a Toddlers gym sat, along with a tent. His kids really loved the tent. Erik gave his wife a tour. To the right of that was a bathroom. Erik's piano and other instruments were in the opposite corner from the fireplace.

"I am surprised you don't have beds down here for us to sleep," Kayleigh said. She wasn't in favor of this move at all. Her sense of security didn't rely on Sim innovation. She put her trust in a Higher source and was troubled that her husband seemed to have lost his way. Kitchen, bathroom, play equipment for the children. She noticed it was chilly down in this basement area. Erik adjusted the thermostat and then lit the fire. That's when the stuffing hit the fan. Inexplicably, the new fireplace sparked in a way Kayleigh had never seen before. "Erik," came her whispered plea.
    "Oh, my god," he hollered. "Kayleigh get the kids upstairs, now!" He said, grabbing the fire extinguisher and went about attacking the fire.

The couple grabbed their little ones and ran out the front door.
    "Erik, we have four children, we only have one with us, where are the others?"

Finding Melody and Jamison out in the backyard playing on their Toddler Gym, the baby safely upstairs in his basinet, Erik gave thanks to his God, realizing He was the one important element left out of Erik's plans. In Him, he could regain the sense of security lost by the Home Invasion. Erik decided to pay a visit to his priest and get himself back on track.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Chapter Fifteen: Rising from the Flame

Shortly after the fire in the basement/Panic room, Erik was nominated again for Best Song. Happily, nothing on the main or second floors had been destroyed. They went to Church Services Sunday morning, hung around for Coffee Hour to chat with their 'Church Family', which included several members of their biological families. He enjoyed an invigorating conversation with Colonel Drake Golden, his father-in-law, who was quick to help shore Erik up. "Trust in Him," he pointed upward. "Your family is safe and now you know what you need to do."
    "Yes, I need to have the current house torn down, panic room and all and a new one built. And that's just what I'm going to do. It's far too creepy to stay in there, now. I wake at even the slightest sound. It's crazy. Even Kayleigh and the kids don't make it through the night."
    "Your fans took that from you. You need to take it back. Own it, it belongs to you, Erik." Erik nodded and took a sip of his coffee.

Before the new place was completely finished, the Accolades rolled around. Erik went through what now had become a ritual for him. He came home from services and tinkered with his garden. They also decided having fresh honey would be nice, so the couple purchased a Bee Box. Erik decided to bond with the bees, since he had heard this would produce a higher quality honey in the long run. At first things went well, but before long, the bees decided to attack. So much for bonding. he sighed.

Happily, he wasn't allergic or he would have been a mess and unable to attend the Show. Although he was sore, he showered and otherwise made himself ready to go out. Thorne Bailey took a place on the floor near Erik's seat. Seemed he wanted to chat and check up on his friend. "So, I hear fame decided to bite back a bit," He began.
    "Yeah, I was never worried about those guys, you know? Ayden and David. They showed up at the Dorm at Britechester-U almost on a daily basis. I even thought we were friends. I never once expected them to enter my home, leaving their calling cards all over the place. But most disturbing, is they left both a half-eaten cake and a plate of Ambrosia in my firstborn's bedroom. The child is only three."
    "Oh, I don't blame you at all for the steps you took. We have an obligation as fathers to protect our kids. Tell me, is your son unharmed?"
    "Thankfully, yes. He's still too young to understand the danger we all were in."
    "Man, I'm sorry that happened to you."
    "Thanks, Thorne. You're a good friend." As the Show got underway, they both refrained from further conversation.

"Tonight I have the honor to hand the Accolade for Best Song to Erik Cantrell. This makes his tenth Accolade! Come on over here, Erik, you deserve this."
    A stunned Erik took up the trophy, clearly in awe he had won. "I am humbled and honored for this recognition. I've had such a week, you just don't know." When he could find his tongue again, he went on, "Thankfully, the fire was contained and we all got out without harm. I do believe I lost my wits, however. As in scared out of … I don't believe the insurance covers that, though." He tilted his head to the side, as if in deep thought. "All I can tell you is take stock of what you have. Be grateful for what you have. And don't take anything for granted. Ever. It could all be over in a minute. Take care everybody, I love you All." The audience clapped their hands creating a thunderous noise. After a moment, Erik bowed his head and left the 'staging area'. The host took the spot at the microphone.

"And tonight it is our privilege to honor yet another Cantrell. Louise Cantrell! For Artiste of the Year. What this Sim does with paint on a canvas is amazing. Striking." Louise Cantrell graciously accepted the award. Once the Show was over, Erik found his mother amid others congratulating her. He threw his arms around her and gave her a good squidge.
    "Congratulations, Mom."
    "Congratulations to you, too. Ten, I can't believe you. You are going to have to add on another room just to house all of your trophies!"

After a few months of living with relatives Erik, Kayleigh and their four Toddlers were ready to go home. Finally, Erik got word the new house was done. The couple took a walk through and made sure everything was to their satisfaction. Both wanted very much to no longer be a burden on their families. They rotated every month so as not to wear out their welcome. From Aaron's home to Joey's home, to Bree's castle, to the Golden's, to the senior Cantrell's. Erik was certain his poor children were totally confused. Everyday, he took them to check on their chickens and to weed and water the garden. And the bees. Erik now suited up to treat them for the mites they had developed. He knew he had to get over the irrational fear of the bonding experience. It was what it was. He liked being able to see how the new house was coming along. "Where's our house, Daddy?" Jamison asked, looking around.
    "Don't worry, when the construction crew is done, we'll have a brand-new house to live in. All of our familiar things will be here, too."
    "Where day, now?" Melody asked.
    "In storage, except for your stuffed animals. Won't be too much longer, I promise."

One of the first nights they were there, Joey came to call.
    "Come on in, Joe, let me give you what they used to call the nickel tour."
    "I suppose now, it's called the credit tour."
    Erik showed his brother the main floor. The kitchen, the dining room, the living room, and finally the kitchenette. then he took him upstairs to show him the layout. Several bedrooms, with at least three bathrooms. "Care for some tea?" Erik invited. The two headed back downstairs and settled in the kitchenette.
    "Hey, thanks for the tour. The place is nice," Joey said. The doctor stayed for one cup of tea, before he gave his brother a hug and bid him good night.

After Joey left Erik decided to sit out in the Loggia for a bit. The covered patio allowed him to just sit and enjoy the night air, without getting rained upon. This was a very nice addition, the Contractor suggested. Erik was pleased.

Shortly after they moved in, they knew they were home when Erik's friends showed up in all of their naked splendor, along with his own personal Stan. At least she had the good taste to remain clothed.
    The shock of it brought Kayleigh into labor and they also welcomed their fifth child, another son they named Peter.
    "Welcome to the world, Peter!"

• Options
    Chapter Sixteen: Renewal

Erik realized that giving them all a new start was just what was needed. The new place was larger, and they had a bit more space to expand. While the construction workers built the new place, he and the children were able to keep up their garden. Erik even grew bold enough to once again attempt to bond with his bees.
    Again, it went wrong. The bees really seemed very angry with him, this time. "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!" He muttered as he swatted at them. "Stop it, that really hurts. Ow, forbidden words!" he shouted. He had gotten so used to substituting this phrase for the real forbidden words, it came naturally to him now. Bree could be heard saying "Spaghetti and meatballs," whenever she was annoyed. Kayleigh was fond of saying, "Oh, cheese and crackers!" Sometimes he heard one of his four Toddlers mimicking their mother, which made him smile. If only he could keep them from ever hearing the real Forbidden words. Wouldn't that be nice? But Erik didn't live in fantasy land. He knew he could only shelter them for so long.

Erik went off for his very full evening. Finally, well after ten o'clock, he stepped through the front door. He was bushed. Kayleigh was in the foyer awaiting him. Going to bed right off was no longer an option. He smiled, weakly at her. "Hi," he said. "You're up. Didn't expect that."
    "Erik, I'm glad to see you're back. How did the concert go? The photoshoot and the filming? What's the name of the movie again?"
    "Whoa, slow down. I'm on tactile overload," Erik laughed. "What's on your mind? I can always tell when you have something to tell me, you know." He winked.
    "I am so glad you asked. I took a test."
    "And … come on, don't keep me in suspense. Remember that tactile overload I mentioned?"
    "Brace yourself. We're having a baby!"

"Again?" he barely kept from gulping. "But you just had one. How? Never mind, I know how wouldn't be the first time, either. Oi! I'm beginning to think I just have to look at you. And baby makes … two parents, five kiddoes. Eight, we're about to become a family of eight, what's the word I'm seeking. Staggering. Really, Kayleigh? You're on the nest again? You wouldn't be joshing me, would you?"
    "Surprise!"
    "Yeah, you got me on that one. Come here, I love you so much."

"So, are you as happy about it as I am?"
    "Of course." He held her tight. "Maybe we should just go for an even dozen. They're said to be cheaper by the dozen, at least."

Shortly after giving him her Big News, Kayleigh left to check on the kids. Erik walked into the kitchen. Calming Chamomile tea. I need a cup. "Hurry up dratted machine. Why must you always take so long? Finally." He poured a cup and barely waited for it to cool down.Good thing record sales are up.

Not only was his family expanding, but so were his chickens. Erik went out to the chicken coop just in time to watch the hatchling break out of its shell. He carefully picked up the fluffy, soft puff of yellow and put it against his cheek. "Hi there, little fella."

So many things were happening, it was hard for Erik to keep up. He did manage to release another album, Hallelujah the title of his recent hit song. His children were growing and learning at a rate he could barely keep up with them. One really nice, sunny afternoon, he and Kayleigh packed them all up and went over to the Bramblewood. Of course, the Paparazzi and a few fans followed them. Erik was fine with that. He had slowly learned to trust them again. Many of them had posted on his Simstagram Account of how they felt about the break-in and for him to please not think all of his fans disrespected him like that. One, the president of the Erik Cantrell Fan Club even went so far as to write, "You give us your talent, your love and as much of yourself as any fan could desire. I happen to believe, and I know others who feel the same way, that you like any other Sim, deserve your private life, too. We are all so very glad you and your precious family are all okay. Take heart we will always love you. Thank you."
    "Thank you," he wrote back.

HIs sister-in-law, Sandi showed up much to their surprise. She was quick to help Kayleigh coral the five Toddlers.
    Although the group got to be a sizeable crowd, it felt normal to Erik. He had turned a corner, finally.

His kids loved the outdoors, and the way the eldest three walked together made him think they could possibly become a dance team. All in
    perfect time with each other, all in step, too. Amazing.
    Little Andrew was still a way off, unable to quite keep with the three-year-old and two-year-old twins.
    Erik loved watching them. Jamison, Melody and Harmony stood together and chatted in their mumbo-jumbo baby gibberish. Odd, they seem to understand each other. Secret language?
    Whatever it was, it was cute, he decided. Too bad you don't like each other much.
    He felt blessed.

Another nomination came his way. Erik Cantrell found himself excited and just as equally gobsmacked. He kept to his ritual as it was a way of calming his pre-show jitters. How long can this go on? When will they decide I'm nothing more than a hack? A lucky hack, to be sure, but a hack all the same. He always fretted. I just write what comes into my head. For some time, now, at least the latest three Accolades, he was nightmare free. Sunday rolled around and it was a ridiculously hot day. Erik quickly changed out of his Sunday Best and headed for the pool.

He climbed to the top of the stone diving platform. Checking to get oriented once he stood several feet above the water, Erik then centered himself and concentrated on doing a backflip, which he hoped didn't backfire on him. A trip to the hospital would mean he would miss the Award Show. That wouldn't do at all, he was insatiably curious as to how long this winning streak might last. This would be his eleventh. Ready, he finally lifted himself off of the platform.

Smacking the water with a certain amount of precision made him happy. Then he decided to float on his back for a time. Shortly after he found his "calm space" his phone went off. It was Astrid calling to see if he wanted to come over and hang out with her, Joey and and the babies.
    "Sorry, I can't. But thank you for jolting me. It's four-thirty already. I have to get out of this pool and get ready for tonight. Oh, be sure to tune in. You can then jeer at me later when I don't win."
    "Ha-ha."

Erik must have changed his clothes three times and still he wasn't satisfied. He changed them again and went to Del Sol Valley.
    "Okay, I'm outta here. See you when I get back. Kids, mind your mother and go to bed when she tells you to, do you hear me?"

"And now for bringing such aural beauty to ears around the world, Erik Cantrell has won the Starlight Accolade for Best Song!"
    Erik stepped over to the microphone to accept the award. "To think I was nervous about tonight," he half-laughed, half sobbed. "Sometimes, it all seems like a dream. I really can't believe this. I am truly honored." Glancing at the award from time to time, he wiped an escaped tear by slipping a finger under the wire rims of his glasses. "I want to thank my wonderful wife, who by the way is on the nest again, just wanted to get that out there ahead of the tabloids." The audience chuckled a bit. "Yes, this makes baby number six. I swear every time I look at her … But I digress. Thank you to the Academy for nominating me again, to those who voted and to my incredibly understanding fans who have stood beside me through thick and thin. Thank you." Erik smiled and nodded awaiting the audience to quiet again before he went on. "Seriously, I hope to continue to write, record and play my music for those willing to listen for as long as I live. This kind of appreciation keeps me going." The music began to play in the background. Erik lifted the trophy above his head, saying "Thank you, and goodnight! I love you all. Kids go to bed!"

• Options
    Chapter Seventeen: Even Steven

Erik was now a father of six. He barely made it into the house when his phone went off. Kayleigh was calling from upstairs. "I'm in labor, Erik, how soon can you be home?" she gasped.
    "Give me a few seconds," he said as he ran up the stairs. One look at Kayleigh, all bent over and in obvious pain, and he punched in Joey's number. "Joe, it's go time," he said.
    "I'll be right there. Just a quick sprint through the bramble and daisies. Unlock the gate okay?"
    "You got it, Brother, and thanks." Erik tapped in the gate code and then went back to his pacing, waiting on the Doctor. True to his word, Joey slipped through the gate, then Erik could hear his footfall on the staircase. Joey disappeared into the spare bedroom and closed the door. Shortly, Erik heard the tiny sweet-sounding wails of a newborn.
    Joey came out of the room, drying his hands off on a towel. "It's a girl," he said, grinning. "She's really a beauty, too. I pity, you. You have three to worry about. You'll be beating the guys off with a stick."
    "Three boys, three girls, that's pretty even-steven to me."

Tucking in their five Toddlers, Erik gently took little Cadence to her bassinet. He set the wall speaker to the Lullaby station and the sound to low, switching on the monitor. "Goodnight, Baby Girl, Daddy loves you." Erik then picked up Kayleigh and carried her back downstairs. The two crawled into bed, hoping for a few good hours' worth of sleep. Erik reached over and turned on the baby monitor. They both knew the baby would be up several times during the night. What they didn't expect was the intrusion into their bedroom.
    "Waaaa, waaaa, waaaa."
    Kayleigh jolted awake to see Peter at the foot of the bed, his little face tear-streaked. "Peter, Sweetie, what is it?" she said. She bent down to soothe him, but strangely he pushed her away. Oddly enough, once she told him, "It's going to be okay." He acquiesced.

While Peter seemed unhappy about having another sibling, Erik wasn't surprised at his response. He remembered feeling that way about Joey, when he came along. Peter was every bit the little love, however. He and Erik got on quite well.

What did surprise him, however, is that it was Andrew who was going out of his way to be the troublemaker. This left both of his parents in a bit of a quandary. "They're much too quiet up there," Kayleigh said. She set her knitting aside and climbed to the second floor. The three boys shared a spacious room and that's where she found their budding artist. Catching him in the act of drizzling paint all over the brand new wood flooring, she placed her hands on her hips. "Just what do you think you're doing, little man?"
    "I make art."
    "That's not art, that's a mess on Mommy's floor. "Come over here, it's time you learned how to say you're sorry." With that Kayleigh dropped to her knees so she was face-to-face with her Toddler son. In many ways she thought he should know better, despite his young age.

Erik decided the best thing to do was to spend one-on-one time with each of the first five kids. He read them stories, played dolls at the large doll house, which was more like a castle, complete with royalty and even a dragon. I don't dare admit I'm having fun. Erik enjoyed watching them as they sat in the livingroom eating their dinner together, plates resting on their little laps. He was also there to feed little Cadence his third daughter, whenever Kayleigh was willing to share her, that is.

He made certain to get Kayleigh out of the house and away from their brood. Night On the Town, hit on Friday. They had a lovely dinner for two at the Old Home Place bar & grille. The evening air was nice and cool, he noted, as they sat in the corner of the outside patio. Good food, good Meloire and even a friendly Paparazzi. Erik signed one autograph for a fan and answered questions for Annabelle Bigelow. "So," Annabelle began her interview. "Are you worried about Sunday?"
    "Thanks for asking. I always get the jitters, but honestly, I'm too tired right now. Sunday is still several hours away that will fly by in an instant. Hopefully, I won't fall asleep in my chair."
    "Not sleeping?"
    "I am the father of six, count 'em, six children. The newest is just days old."
    "Oh, congratulations! I hadn't heard, actually. Is this breaking news?"
    "You could call it an exclusive, if you wish."
    "Oh, thank you, Mr. Cantrell, thank you. You just secured the raise I was asking for! You're the best." Then she turned toward Kayleigh, "and you're one lucky Sim."
    Kayleigh just smiled.

Once again, Erik tried to bond with the Bees. The hive seemed calm, at first. And he began to wonder, just when he was going to learn? Calm one moment, irate the next! The calm certainly didn't last too long, at all, this time. Erik started to ponder if his cologne was the problem? The hive certainly got riled up very quickly. "Ow, ow, oh Forbidden Words. Forbidden words!"

"Erik, Erik, wake up," Thorne said, nudging the snoring Global Superstar.
    "Huh, wah?"
    "The called your name, get up there."
    "Huh, what?"
    "They called your name, you won, dopey."
    ""I love you, too." Erik nodded, getting to his feet.
    Taking up the trophy, he smiled wanly at the audience. "Sorry, I'm afraid I nodded off for a bit. Not because I was bored. On the contrary, I'm simply lacking in sleep. Yes, the new baby is here. It's a girl. We named her Cadence. Can't have a good song without Melody, Harmony and Cadence, to keep the beat. I want to thank my God for all the Blessings He has bestowed upon me. My wife, my children and now this recognition of my work. I can't believe it. This makes an even dozen, I do believe. My head's in a whirl."

Erik put a fisted hand to his heart and closed his eyes. "This means so much more to me than I can say," he said. "It's vindication. I'm not a flash in the pan, as was predicted when I was a Teen. I do hope this means I have staying power. And I hope that all of you who enjoy my music will continue to do so. I love writing and performing for all of you. Thank you."

Holding the heavy glass and gold trophy in his right hand, he gestured toward the TV camera. "Mom, Dad, this is for you. I also wish to give my thanks to Taygeda Studios and to Orion Entertainment, Limited, for keeping me very busy either down at the recording studios or on tour promoting my latest album." Smiling, he went on, "And, there's the music cue. Thank you. Goodnight, everybody. Kids go to bed. I will be home soon to tuck you in."
  • Options
    Chapter Eighteen: Newsflash

“This just in: Global Superstar, Erik Cantrell, was found unconscious outside in his backyard. His wife of nine years found him in their Chicken Yard. She called his brother who lives next door and is a prominent physician, according to our reporter on scene. The police were called just moments after the doctor made the request for an ambulance. At this moment, it is undetermined just what happened, but he has several cracked ribs and some bruising, and a nasty gash over his left eye. By the time he was rushed to the hospital, the Rock Star had slipped into a coma. For now, they tell us his condition is Critical. Let’s hope it doesn’t turn to Grave. At this point the police are baffled and the physicians can only watch and wait. We’ll keep you posted. Let’s hope he comes out of it.”

“Will somebody please turn that thing off or change the channel,” Kayleigh all but sobbed, pinching the bride of her nose. All of her weeping had brought about a headache. She just wanted to curl up somewhere and sleep. She couldn't believe this was happening. Kayleigh had been ushered into the Waiting Room, when the doctors and nurses swarmed around her unconscious husband. Fussing all over him as if he was the Crown Prince. Which, she decided was far better than ignoring that 'Sim in the Corner', as he so often dubbed himself. The thought brought a tiny smile to her face.
    “No, I want to hear this,“ a young female Sim in the room said, turning up the volume. “He’s my favorite musician. I even got his autograph once. He is the nicest Sim I ever met. Bad enough I'm here waiting on news about my dad. I need to know one of them is going to pull through.”
    Kayleigh gave a glassy-eyed glance at the brown-haired Sim. Clearly she was a teen. Kayleigh cleared her throat and then spoke, “I’m so glad you love him and his work. I do, too.”
    “Then why would you want it turned off? They said they would keep us posted. I want to know if he’s going to be okay. And just who are you, anyway, to make such a request?” Then she turned abruptly toward the TV on the wall. "Shh-shh-shh."

“On a follow-up, it should be noted that a year or so ago Erik Cantrell’s house in Henford-on-Bagley, was broken into by two very eager, if not Obsessed Fans. Nothing was taken, but they left two things in the bedroom of Erik’s oldest child, still a Toddler, at that time. The Rock Star took it as a warning, of sorts, and had a Panic Room built into his basement. Looks as if he truly had a reason to worry. Police have put out an APB on Ayden Hovel and David Crawley for questioning in the matter. It should be noted these two are Persons of Interest.”

At that moment the nurse came into the room. “Mrs. Cantrell,” she said gazing directly at Kayleigh. Kayleigh returned her gaze.
    “Yes?” she said, standing up. “Any news?”
    “Only that you can return to his ICU cubicle. The doctors are finished poking and prodding for now.”
    “You’re his wife?” the teen said, her mouth agape.
    Kayleigh flashed her the smallest of grins. “Yes, that’s me. I do hope your father will be all right.”

Sitting in the hard chair beside his bed, she gazed at the love of her life. He lay motionless, with tubes in his nostrils, in his arms, stitches on his left brow, and eyelid, and his left cheekbone. A bandage wrapped was around his head. His scratched up hands rested by his sides. Kayleigh reached over and held his right hand between her hands, ever so gently. What happened to you?

The doctors suggested the scratches were defensive, indicating he gave his attacker a fight.
    “Erik, if you can hear me. It’s me, Kayleigh. I’m right here and I won’t leave you unless the doctors shoo me out again. Please come back to me. Come back to our children. Our life. I need you. I simply can’t raise six rambunctious kids on my own. They need you. Their father. Their rock. Please, squeeze my hand if you hear me. Please, my darling. Please.”
    “I’ll do even better,” his raspy voice came as a whisper. A moment later, his eyelids fluttered and he opened his right eye. At least partially. His left eye was all but stitched closed, mostly swollen shut.

“Erik! Oh, Erik, you’re back. Doctor, Nurse, Somebody!” She shouted. Taking the control on the bed, she pressed the call button several times. Three nurses rushed in with a crash cart. Kayleigh came to her feet, still holding Erik’s hand in hers.
    “What is it?” the first one said. She was plump, her red hair swept up into a bouffant do. Kayleigh smiled grandly.
    “Look, he’s awake.”

“Well, so he is. Welcome back, Mr. Cantrell. You had us all scared. I do hope this wasn’t some kind of publicity stunt.”
    “Erik would never do that,” Kayleigh said. “That would be most unkind.”
    “My ribs hurt too much to be a stunt,” he said, “and I can't open my left eye. Where am I and how did I get here? My God, I hurt all over.”
    “I just wish we knew what happened to you, is all. Sorry if I offended you. I really do enjoy your music. And you are quite the entertainer. I’ve been to several of your concerts. They never get old. Oh, congratulations on your latest Accolade. Doesn't that make an even dozen? I think it does. Yeah, it does. Why I was sitting in my living room watching the Show and I swear I clapped my hands so hard and so loud, I’m surprised you didn’t hear me. In fact, there was one moment I though you did hear me. You had this curious look on your face, as if you were listening hard to something.”

“Thank you,” he said, although the weakness in his voice made the nurse frown. She stepped up to the side of the bed, displacing Kayleigh, who stood back a little.
    “Don’t try to talk, honey,” the nurse said, patting his shoulder. “Save your voice.”

The attending physician was called in. Joey also entered the room. After another round of fussing over their patient; heart, pulse, breathing rate, they left the room. Joey cast Kayleigh a wide grin. “I think he’s going to be just fine,” he said, before he slipped out of the room.
    “Just who was that joker?”
    “My younger brother, Joey. Doctor Cantrell, or Doctor Joe, as he prefers.”
    “You are kidding me. I thought your brother had red hair. That guy’s as blond as can be. Same shade as you.”
    “Aaron and Adrian have the red hair. The three of us in the middle got Mom’s blonde hair. She’s of Swedish heritage.”
    “I thought I told you to save your voice,” the nurse scolded.
    Erik just held up his hands, baffled.
    “Perhaps if you direct your questions to me,” Kayleigh offered.
    “Whatever.” Nurse Pratchett said. Kayleigh read her tag, and then watched as the nurse fiddled around, checked the time on her wristwatch, she took his temperature one more time making notes on Erik’s clipboard, setting it aside. “So far, no fever. That's good. Okay, I’ll be back later.”

After a time when the two just gazed at each other, Kayleigh said, “Wow, I guess you could call that one the Warden."
    "Warden? Am I in prison or something?" Erik whispered.
    "No, Sweetheart, you're in the hospital. She is likely the Head Nurse. You know the kind that always goes by the rules and makes sure everybody else does, too. that's what I meant by Warden. Every floor has one, or so I've heard. She must be yours."
    "I see, almost. My eye doesn't want to focus." He reached a cautious hand to his face and felt around a bit. "My glasses, where are my glasses?" Kayleigh took them off of the bedside stand and held them up. Then she placed them into a clamshell case and put them into her purse for safe-keeping.
    "Erik, what’s the last thing you remember?”
    “Last thing?” he squinted his eye the way he did when trying to remember something. “Playing. I was playing ‘bear’ with Cadence. I had just gotten home,” he said.

Erik came quietly up the staircase so as not to waken the children, whom he supposed were now fast asleep.
    "Hey, Cadence, what are you doing up so late, huh?"
    "I wanna pway."
    "What do you want to pLay?" he said taking care to enunciate the word correctly.
    "Bear."

"Okay, here we go!" he said, swooping her up into the air. Cadence squealed with delight. Holding her upside down, he jostled her up and down, and up and down and then twirled her gently onto his back. "Uh-oh, where did you go? Cadence, where are you? Where did you go, did the bear get you?"

“No, I mean the last thing."
    This jolted Erik out of his thoughts. “I don’t know. Everything is in a fog. Sorry.”
    “We found you out in the chicken yard, does that help?”
    “Chicken yard? Why was I there? Honey, where’s my new suit?”
  • Options
    Chapter Nineteen: Learning to Breath Again

After six weeks, Erik was released from the hospital with orders to get plenty of rest. While he was also to continue his physical therapy, he wasn’t to overdo it, or wear himself out. “Small spurts at a time, maybe twice a day,” Doctor Winslow said. “Same with any acting parts that come you way. So long as you don’t do his own stunts, that is.” Erik busily signed the release forms the nurse handed him. “I understand,” he said, looking up to see the doctor’s pointed gaze. “Rest is key. I don’t think that will be a problem, I’m still pretty tender,” Erik said.
    “That’s your body speaking to you. See that you listen and you’ll be just fine.”
    “Thank you, Doctor.”
    “It’s been a pleasure,” Doctor Winslow said, stretching out a hand to give Erik’s a gentle shake. “and my daughters thank you for the autographs.”

Erik quickly read over the release orders from the doctor. Sitting in a wheel chair waiting for the nurse to take him out to the curb where Kayleigh had the car. Zzzz, see the doctor regularly for follow up visits. Call if you have unusual pain … Erik was glad to be back home. Five of the kids were at school until three in the afternoon. Kayleigh had to hold Cadence back to keep the excited Toddler from jumping all over her daddy. “Okay, Sweetie," Erik said, "Daddy’s happy to see you, too. Let me sit down.” Gingerly, Erik held his ribs as he took a seat out in the Loggia of his home. Surely it will be awhile before I resume my concert Schedule. I’m already worn out, from just taking a seat! “Okay, Cadence, crawl up here and sit next to Daddy.”
    “Bear,” she said. Erik gazed at her realizing it wasn’t a question but more of a demand.
    “Sorry, Baby, Daddy isn’t up to playing ‘bear’ at the moment. I can read you a story, if you like.”
    The Toddler sighed, rolling her bottom lip out. “O-tay.” She disappeared into the house and returned with a rather ragged looking Toddler book. Obviously, it was a favorite of all six kids. Still intact, if not slightly worse for the wear. Carefully, Erik lifted the small child onto his lap, taking the book from her, he opened it and began to read.

Erik catered to his musical creative self by writing a few more songs to license. The time off was great, he felt marvelous in many ways and certainly spending more time with his family was enjoyable. The kids were all very happy for their Game Room/Rumpus Room. Climbing the stairs to join them was slow and fatiguing for their father. He viewed it as a bit of physical therapy. He watched while Harmony and Peter took on Melody and Jamison, in a furious game of Foosball. Erik realized at that moment just how much they were like their parents. That competitive spirit was in all of them. While he heard the clacking sounds of their rigorous play, Erik and Andrew enjoyed a game of chess.

One evening as he sat with his wife watching the news, Erik leaned forward in his seat. “Tonight the many millions of Erik Cantrell fans and the Rock Star, too, can breathe easier. The suspect, David Crawley, has been caught and is on his way to arraignment …”
    “Suspect? Another Sim did this to me?” Did I hear that right? Not David. Please, not David, he’s my friend.
    “Erik, did you say something? Are you in need of something. Your pain meds?” Kayleigh gazed at her husband anxiously, placing her arm around him, her hand on his back. She heard what sounded like a low moan escape his lips.
    “No, I took those earlier, it’s not time for another dose. Will you turn that up, please. I want to hear this,” he said, cradling his rib cage. Incoherent flashes of images swirled inside of his head. It was so dark that night he could hardly see. All he could make out were shadows. Frowning, he turned his gaze to the TV.

A video was played, recorded earlier by the TV news station, WSIM. The camera was trained on the squad car as it pulled up to the curb. Two police got out, opened the back door and carefully guided the Sim out of the vehicle. The three, were met by a smartly suited Sim carrying a brief case. Together, along with a bevy of Paparazzi and Journalists, they began to climb the courthouse steps. Swarm, it was like a swarm of angry bees, Erik thought. This was all surreal. Suddenly, a reporter managed to get in close enough to thrust a microphone into the Sims’ tear-streaked face. “Erik, I love you,” the rather rotund Sim sobbed. Kayleigh watched as Erik flinched. David Crawley, sloppily dressed, as always, his garments two sizes too large and rumpled, hands cuffed behind his back, was brusquely escorted up the remaining steps of the courthouse for his arraignment. The reporter tenaciously followed, mic at the ready. David stopped, refusing to go inside.

Turning around abruptly, he looked directly into the TV camera. The reporter pointed the microphone at the suspect as he said, “Erik, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you, not so badly. You pushed me away after I bared my heart and soul to you. I thought if you realized just how much I loved you, you would love me, too. But you pushed me away and gave that tired old line of how you’re not wired that way. What does that even mean?” He sobbed heavily then tried to scrub the wetness from his face on his shoulder. With his hands bound behind him, it was fruitless. Shaking his head, he went on, “I-I-I just lost it, is all. My temper got the best of me, I’m so sorry. Please forgive me. Pleeeaaas-he-he-he-he-seee,” David Crawley wailed. The police escort pulled him into the courthouse, closing the door on the press. The video stopped.

“And in other news tonight …”

“I have to go see him.”
    Kayleigh glanced over at Erik. A single tear rolled down his cheek. “Erik? Honey, are you all right?”
    “He asked me to forgive him. I have to go see him,” he said. Kayleigh shot him a glance.
    “Erik, there’s something you should know, first,” she said. She took a seat next to him, placed a hand on his knee and then held his hand. “I’ve talked with the DA, who is intent on charging David. With Felony Assault and Battery, and attempted forced woohoo.” Kayleigh carefully watched his face. “You don’t have a say in whether or not charges are brought against him —it’s gone beyond violation of the Restraining Order you had against him. These are Class A Felony criminal charges and they have evidence.”
    “What? Why don’t I remember even a little of this?” Again the images swirled. Erik frowned. “All there is an unclear, blurry swirl.”

“The doctor said it’s not unusual,” Kayleigh said, placing a cup of tea before him. “We often block memories of very painful events. You fought him off and he was unsuccessful, that’s what’s important.” Sitting next to her husband, she took his hand in hers.
    “Hence, attempted.” Erik gazed down at their intertwined hands in his lap, nodding his head. Kayleigh tucked a stray strand of her golden blonde hair behind her right ear. She knew what she had to tell him was difficult. She also knew it may be better for him to remember on his own.

Kayleigh drew in a silent breath, “Yes, they found his DNA on your clothing, which they took with them that first night you were in the hospital. I do hope they bring them back and that all the testing they were doing didn’t spoil them. The new sweater I just got you, and I know those were your favorite jeans.”
    Erik shook his head, “Never mind the jeans, I can get another pair. I’m just trying to understand why? Why would he do this to me?”
    “I think he gave you the reason. He loves you and not just as a fan. But as a Sim. I remember just how many times he came onto you at Wyvern Hall and any other time he could get close enough to you.”

Erik grew quiet. “And I put my hand on his shoulder and shoved him away.”
    “You can’t blame yourself. He never really listened to you when you said you weren’t interested. You gave him plenty of time to figure it out. You even told him you were married. That didn’t matter to him at all. For him to say now he didn’t understand what you meant is a ploy. He wanted what he wanted, and that’s the truth of it. Had you decided to get into a relationship you would have been a battered partner. He has a temper, to which he admitted. With the way other Sims all but throw themselves at you, do you think he would never have reacted to that? He’s bad news, Erik. I think you know that in your heart. You did your best to let him down, gently.”
  • Options
    Chapter Twenty: Recovering Slowly

Erik James Cantrell had always been a Sim who pushed himself to the limits. After his attack, however, he found himself horribly exhausted all of the time, shying away from most other Sims and his chickens. Deep in his heart he knew he couldn't allow fear to consume him. He had a wife and six children to be an example for. He also had therapy to help him rebuild the muscles which atrophied during the time he was flat on his back in the hospital for six weeks.

Slowly, he took over the duty of caring for the chickens. He even attempted to make friends with the remaining flock. Admiral Halsey was less than friendly, however. He had already traded the other hostile rooster. He had no desire to be rid of any more of them. The roosters played a vital role, they were great at heading off any foxes that dared trespass. Erik had seen several since they moved there, in fact. When he found himself challenged by the black rooster who came out from behind the coop, he drew in a breath. "Okay, okay, ease off there a bit." Taking a chance he leaned down to gently pet the bird. "There, see? That's not so bad, is it? Nice clucky cluxim." After a moment of petting, he said, "Do you mind if I give you a hug?" Carefully he picked up the feathered beastie and gently hugged him to his chest. "There, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

Erik was under orders to keep out of the sun as much as possible to keep his scar from growing dark, the skin tough. With spring and summer around the corner, this was going to be challenging. He had come to learn he was a very active Sim. Plus, he enjoyed playing tag and other silly games with his children. They wouldn't be young for long. In fact, Peter's birthday was almost here. Then they would only have one Toddler left.

Erik got up from his nap so he wouldn't miss this moment. Because he was still on the weak side, Kayleigh assisted their youngest son, so he could blow out the candles. This was emotionally hard on Erik, who preferred to be the one. Kayleigh carried them for nine months, this was the least he could do. Candles out, the Toddler spun in the air a sparkly mist swirling about him, just like the other three before him. All were smart Toddlers, always asking "why?". Erik smiled to himself. And there he was, all forty pounds of himself. And a bit tall for his age. All the Cantrell men were tall. This wasn't a surprise, really.

Throughout this time of healing, Erik was very happy to have visitors. As tightly knit as both families were, he never knew just who was going to pop over, unannounced. He didn't mind. They were just saving him from some rather morose thoughts that tried to get a stranglehold on him.
    Aaron stopped over about the time Erik was to begin his physical therapy. He stood and watched, cheering Erik on, helping to push himself just that little bit farther.
    Out in the backyard, Erik took on the Military Grade Battle Bot, designed to aid in the Martial Arts training. "Come on, give it the what-for, you can do it. Come on, Erik. Tear it apart."
    Erik was grateful. Aaron really was a great older brother.

Joey also came by after he finished his evening rounds at the hospital. "Hey, big brother, how are you doing? You look good."
    "Thank you, I'm doing, I'm coming along. I hired a Body Guard today."
    "Really? I hear you're doing really well, working out. I know, too, that you have your own personal physician, but do you mind if I give you a quick once over?:
    "Sure, I supposed Mom and Dad will feel better once you report back to them."
    "So glad you understand."

Spock stopped by as well. "Live Long and Prosper," he greeted his brother-in-law.
    "Peace and Long Life to you. So glad you stopped by."
    "Keep up with the workout, it's bringing the color back to your face."

"Sandi," Erik laughed, "so good to see you. How is that brood of yours?"
    "Getting big. Same as yours. I'm so glad you're doing better. You had us all worried, you know. Oh, good luck on Sunday evening."
    "Thanks."

The next day his Body Guard showed up. Erik went outside to greet him. Since, he discovered two more Obsessed Fans were starting to come around, having Forrest Vanhorn on duty allowed Erik to sleep more at ease. Erik went outside to meet him. "Hello, I'm Erik Cantrell. I'm so glad you agreed to take me on as a client." The dark-haired Body Guard was a Sim of girth. Sturdy, strong-looking, and affable.
    "I'm very happy to be of assistance, sir."
    "No need for that, I'm just Erik."
    "Aw, the reason behind the name of your first and tenth albums."
    "Yeah, I'm that transparent," Erik quipped. "Won't you come inside and I'll introduce you to my wife." Kayleigh joined them in the Music Room. On the wall behind the piano, on both sides of the fireplace were short shelves strategically and aesthetically placed. Three to a shelf, he counted nine Starlight Accolades on the left, with one full shelf on the right, plus a lone trophy on a second shelf. The four Meet & Greet trophies dotted the mantel.

Kayleigh was all smiles as she breezed into the room. "Mrs. Cantrell, I'm pleased to meet you."
    "And I'm pleased to meet you, too, Mr. Vanhorn." She offered her hand to shake.
    "It's just Forrest, Ma'am." He gave Erik a quick glance with that. Erik smiled in return.
    "Please, call me Kayleigh."
    "Kayleigh."
    "May I get you some refreshments? Some juice, perhaps?"
    "Thank you, that would be very nice. It's certainly hot today, no?"

With Forrest on duty, Erik didn't mind interacting with the few fans who hung around after dark.

"Erik, oh, Erik, I'm your biggest fan! Take a Selfie with me, please?"
    "Sure, I'll be happy to." Erik said.
    "Cheese," Erik said as he snapped the photo.

Sunday was a busy day. Forrest was only too happy to accompanied Erik and his family to Church. They even stayed a short time afterwards to enjoy Coffee Hour with their family and friends. Erik's exhaustion crept into his voice. "So good to see all of you," Kayleigh said, setting their coffee cups in the kitchen of their Fellowship Hall. "Thank you for the many flowers, cards and well wishes, but as you can see, he's running out of steam. I have to get him home so he can rest."

Erik relaxed on the bed. Once he felt sufficiently recharged, he got up, gussied up and made himself ready for the Starlight Accolades. Maybe he would be lucky and bring home yet another trophy. Maybe he would just applaud those who did win. At any rate if you don't get moving you won't make it there in time.

Ready at last, Erik emerged from the Master Bedroom. He sat down at his grand piano and began to play. He felt so calm earlier but as the time grew near, the pre-jitters attacked him. Pretty soon, the sound of his playing brought little Cadence into the Music Room. She just stood there, watching. Erik smiled. Don't grow up too soon, my little peanut.
    "Erik, did you need me to accompany you to the Starlight Accolades tonight?" Forrest Vanhorn said.
    "No, but thank you. Go home to your wife and kids and watch it on TV."
    "Thank you, sir."
    "Uh-ah. Erik. Have a good evening, Forrest."
    "Best of luck, Erik."

"Okay, it's time to go. Kids, after the show I want you to brush your teeth and crawl into your beds. You have school tomorrow."
    He received a collective "Awww."

Erik beamed into the parking lot of the PBP Studios. He smoothed the front of his jacket, sprayed himself with cologne and used his breath spray. You can never be too careful. At last, he entered the building. He took his usual seat. Thorne Bailey sat next to him, scooping up the air. "What is that aftershave you're wearing?" the Proper Celebrity teased. "I think I'm in love."
    ":I think I should warn you, Kayleigh isn't willing to share." Erik winked.

"And now, for bringing such aural beauty to ears around the world, the Accolade for Best Song goes to …Erik Cantrell!"
    "It's always you, isn't it," Thorne muttered. "How am I supposed to get ahead? No wonder I'm stuck at Proper Celebrity. You owe me a star, you know."
    "Sorry, Thorne," Erik said as he got up and approached the microphone. Holding up the heavy trophy, To You, O Lord. Gazing at the audience, he said, "I would like to thank Taygeta Studios, Orion Entertainment, Limited, my parents, my siblings, my beautiful wife, Kayleigh, all six of our children and my steadfast fans. You inspire me, each of you, you spur me on to greater heights. I could not do this without all of you. Thank you." Once again, his left eye began to tear. Erik carefully wiped it away with his left forefinger. Catching the look on some in the audience, he quickly said, "No, it's all right, I can still see out of this eye. I'm just a tad overwhelmed. I am still in disbelief I'm standing here. Thank you for this honor."
    The audience began to applaud. "I'm the happiest Sim in the universe. And, no, these things haven't gotten any lighter. Let me see, I think this makes number thirteen. Baker's dozen. How cool is that?" he said, smiling brightly. "And there's the music. Thank you. Goodnight, Everybody. Kids go to bed."

When Erik got home again, he quickly changed out of his suit and went upstairs to tuck in his children. He could hear the patter of their bare feet across the wooden flooring, as they scrambled to get to their own rooms and into their beds. Erik smiled. He stood at the top of the stairs for a moment. No, fourteen, one more than a baker’s dozen. After making the rounds, he went to his own room. Worn out it wasn't long before he was fast asleep.

• Options
    Chapter Twenty-One: Taking Life Back

“I can’t believe you went to the jail to visit him?” Joey ranted. “What are you crazy? That’s it. You must be crazy.”
    “We are to visit those in prison.”
    “Yes, but not necessarily the Sim who attacked you.” Joey’s voice cracked. “What were you thinking? Are you trying to scuttle the criminal case against him? Is that it? You want him to walk free? Erik, he nearly killed you.”

“I know. But he didn’t, and Father James and my Therapist both thought it would further my recovery. You should have seen him, Joe. He wept like a baby almost the whole time. He kept saying how sorry he was, how much he loved me and how much it hurt him when I shunned his advances. That he never meant to allow his temper to get the better of him. That he was very sorry and could I ever forgive him?”
    “And you said what, to all of this? Did you remind him he almost left your wife a Widow and your SIX children without a father? You know Kayleigh will likely never marry again.”
    “No, I simply told him ‘I forgive you’.”
    “You’re crazy, that’s what you are. I think he rattled something loose in your brain while he was busy pounding it against the chicken coop. You know they found your blood and bits of hair on the coop, right? They’ve got this Sim dead to rights. Erik, don’t interfere. Let Law Enforcement do their job.” Joey began to pace back and forth. The two stood just below the steps to Erik's house.
    “I’m not interfering in the least. He’s already been arraigned and they determined to hold him until the trial begins in the Spring. Besides, I told him I wasn’t in control of what the D A decided to do. That I had no influence over that. It was out of my hands. They didn’t need me to press charges. I’m not a dummy, I thought that might be his angle in asking me to come see him. Instead, he just wanted me to forgive him.”
    “So, have you been keeping up?”
    “Keeping up?”

“Come on, I need to see you in action. Show me what you’ve learned from your Sensei. Come on, I know you have your Training Bot out back. Erik let’s go, don’t be shy. Kayleigh says you’re getting really good. So, show me.”
    "Hi-Yaaaa! Erik hollered as he lunged at the training bot. Joey watched in amazement as Erik jumped up and struck the machine with his feet. Erik just appeared to fly in the air.
    "Yaaaah! he cried out again, as he batted at the rods, left, right, left, right. He jumped up, twirled in the air and jabbed his right foot at a bar.
    "Oh, man, I don't ever want to cross you again," Joey said, astounded.

“Okay, okay,” Erik panted. “I’d better quit for now. I have to get ready to go. I’m still not supposed to get myself worn out. Hope I saved some energy for tonight.”
    “Tonight? What’s tonight?”
    “Now, whose acting like a dummy? What day is this?”
    “Sunday.”
    “What happens on Sunday nights?”
    “Can’t be Vespers, that’s on Saturday nights …”
    “Come on, Joey. Really? I bet you haven’t even been watching, have you.”
    “Oh, haha” Joey laughed.
    “The Starlight Accolades,” they chorused together.
    “Gee, do you really think you have a chance?” Joey teased.
    “As good as any other time. If I don’t win, I'll buy each of you a steak dinner. But you had better watch and take notes so you can tell me what I said. That way I'll know you watched.”
    “You’re on, Bud. Okay, I’ll get out of your way.” Joey left the backyard, via the Loggia. A short time later, Erik heard a noise behind him, he thought Joey forgot something, then he turned to find a stranger in his backyard. For a moment he nearly panicked.

“Who are you and what are you doing in my backyard?"
    When the Sim leaned in to kiss him, Erik’s training kicked in and he reacted by rote. He caught the guy's arm, batting it away in a clean swift movement.
    "Now, if you don't mind this isn't a public park, it's a private home. Mine. Show yourself out, please."

Erik checked himself out in the mirror. He had a refreshing shower and donning his new suit, he gussied himself up. Glancing at the clock it was just after six o’clock. “Honey, I’m outta here. Kids go to bed when your mother tells you. Love you, bye. See you tonight.”

Erik arrived a few minutes after six o'clock. He quickly and quietly slipped into the PBP Studios and took a seat doing his best not to make a commotion, or otherwise disrupt the Show in progress. Sims were, nonetheless, surprised to see him. The Mixologist quickly put herself in position to snap a number of shots. Thorne Bailey got up and took the empty seat next to Erik.
    "Hey, Buddy," Thorne said, "you're looking much better. Glad to see you here tonight."
    "Thanks," Erik murmured.

Shortly after Erik arrived the winner for Best Song was announced. "And the winner is … Erik Cantrell!"
    Erik pop up from the seat, noticing how fatigued he still was from his workout. Joey was quite a task-master, whereas Aaron, knew better how to help Erik pace things. "Thank you. Thank you, Thank you," he said to the ovation he received. "I just want to say, I'm very touched by your warm welcome, and for this wonderful showing of appreciation." When the applause died down again, Erik continued, "I do know some of you may think I'm nuts, but I did forgive my attacker. I could do nothing less. Yes, I'm taking martial arts classes and I'm coming right along. I pity the next Sim who's affections are unwanted." This elicited a few chuckles. "Speak softly, but carry a big stick. Well, I'm six foot two. That's pretty big. I'm learning, rapidly, to be that lean, mean fighting machine. Colonel Golden, my father-in -law is actually impressed." Erik bowed his head for a moment of quiet reflection. "I've never been a fighter, but I have learned how to make a fist. Never again. Oh, and it seems he stole my wedding ring, too. Thank you, goodnight everybody."

• Options
    Chapter Twenty-Two: Troubled Waters, and a Bridge

Despite the holiday in progress, Erik slipped out of bed long before dawn. He was up late at Services for this high holiday, but he had become a bit of a workaholic. He only knew that he had to see to the care of his family. Nor was he in control of just when the concerts, et al were scheduled. He did a concert on the other side of the planet, beamed back to the Sim-Beat Magazine headquarters in Del Sol Valley for the photoshoot, then beamed to the 'set' for the bit part he was to play in yet another major film. Just now, taking out his phone, he promoted another product on his Simstagram Account. Then he beamed back home.

The sunrise was magnificent, the black easing into dark tones of gray, to lighter shades of gray until gradually a blue sky peeped through above the mountain range behind his house. Finally, a bright, clear day shone forth. He stood watching it, interrupting his feeding of the chickens. He finished the job and cleaned the coop, too. Erik went into the house to check on his family. All six of his children were singing — not together in a nice choir, but separately and all different songs, or that's what it sounded like. He found it sweet. He quickly realized he was kidding himself thinking since they had basically been up all night, too, that somehow they would sleep in. Instead, five year old Cadence was running around, while singing, or humming at least, checking everywhere for a decorated egg. Someday, when she was older and perhaps better able to understand, he would tell her just what the significance an egg had with this Holiday. But for now, his was a greater concern. "Kayleigh? Kayleigh, I'm home," he hollered as he made his way into the kitchen. Sure enough, that's where he found her. She was busy cooking up a Grand Breakfast to feed their hangry brood. She stopped whipping the eggs in the bowl and looked up at him as he entered the room.

"You know," he said, leaning his forearms against the island counter, "the kitchen is the heart of any home. Figures I would find you here. Because you're my heart and this is our home."
    "You're in a joyful mood, this morning. For a Sim who has not had a full night's sleep. Just what time did you head out this morning? How about a Toast?" She said, pouring him a quick glass of juice.
    "SprazNEEkam!" Erik said, with glee.
    "SprazNEEkam," came her reply a little less jovial.
    "Kayleigh? Honey, what is it, are you just as upset by things as I am?" In his mind he could see the white tombstone of where Ayden Vinden left this realm. He nearly shuddered.
    "Maybe more so," she said.

"Okay, then maybe you'll approve of my way to handle the situation. I think we should change residences again. I know, I know you're tired of all of the changes. But, really, it's for the best."
    "The best? You want to move?"
    "Not in the traditional sense, no. I like Henford-on-Bagley. I just want to tear this place down and have another house built in its place."
    "Erik, why?"
    "Because of what happened. That should be obvious." His mind immediately flitted to the event:

Erik was walking around his property not too long ago, to get to the back end. The Obsessed Fans were no longer content to just litter up the front of his home, but again, despite his requests, were leaving items to rot behind his back fence. The thought of yelling at them again, left a bad taste in his mouth, considering how David made him pay for it. He was contemplating how best to handle it, when he stumbled upon the naked, dead body of his other Obsessed Fan, Ayden Vinton. Immediately Erik called it in. Within minutes, twenty or so, the Coroner and the police arrived along with an ambulance. For a brief moment, Erik pondered just what the Paparazzi would make of the fuss? I'll know soon enough. For now, after all was said and done, he made a conscious effort to walk along the opposite side of his yard just to get to the back fence. The whole thing left him creeped out. Ayden had frozen to death, according to the autopsy report. Sad, it was just too sad. Had he been home at the time, Erik would have been able to ask Ayden to show him his cold weather clothes. Ayden, quick to comply, would have dressed himself in warm clothing, instead of parading about naked in the heart of winter. That thought haunted him. Erik dealt with his feelings by writing a new song, "Ode to Ayden Vinton". Erik paid for the funeral, gave a eulogy, and then had him properly interred. From time to time, he even placed flowers on his grave. But, walking on the side of the fence where he found him was something Erik just couldn't bring himself to do. He was so totally creeped out.

"And …" she said, her eyes imploring. Clearly they weren't talking about the same thing. She knew she had to speak up about it, lest it tear her insides out. She was far more upset with herself than her brother-in-law. "Erik, I don't see how that will fix anything. He lives just across the field on the other side of Joey and Astrid!"
    Erik just gazed at her. "Something tells me we aren't talking about the same situation here. Care to fill me in?"
    "Sure, you deserve to know the whole sordid aff-thing." She set her glass of juice aside.
    "Aaron came by this morning. He smiled and gave the traditional holiday greeting. So, I waved him in, after I unlocked the gate. I offered him some juice for a toast —"
    In her mind she could see Aaron climbing up the stairs to the front porch. Kayleigh went back inside and a moment later returned with two wide-mouthed glasses full of a pink juice. She held up her glass and the two toasted. Then Aaron, who seemed to have done a fair amount of toasting this morning, leaned in, took her hands … . Kayleigh shuddered and closed off her thoughts again.
    "And," Erik said, with a small frown. He knew there was more to this tale.
    "And," she gave a heavy sigh. "And then he made a pass at me."
    "Aaron?"
    "I'm so shaken by it, I don't know what to do."
    "Is that all it is? Honey, Aaron is just being Aaron and I suspect he was likely a little on the juiced side, too. Probably mistook you for Sandi. Trust me, it's nothing. Aaron is a warm-blooded Sim, after all. And very affectionate. Particularly when soused."
    "But, that's not the worst of it." She could still feel Aaron's lips on her hands.
    "Are you about to tell me he went further than that?"
    "No, I just need you to know his pass made me feel a bit flirty, is all. I'm so ashamed, I took a shower and changed my clothes after he left."
    "I see," Erik said quietly.

"Are you mad at me?"
    Erik began to chuckle, shook his head. "I thought you were going to ask me for a divorce, tell me that you preferred him over me and always did. Come here," he said. "You're a human Sim. Sims get a tad flirty when flirted with. It's only natural. Now, what would be unforgiveable is if you followed through on those feelings. You didn't, did you?"
    "No, I would never. It's you I love. Does this mean you forgive me?"
    "Kay-Kay, there's nothing to forgive. You're my wife, my best friend, the mother of my six children. I will always love you. I just hope you'll always feel the same about me."
    "I do, I do, I do. And, yes, let's build a new house."

After the family finished eating their Grand Meal, which for dinner was ham with all of the fixings, Erik excused himself from the table. "Hope none of you mind, but I have to get ready for tonight. The meal was sumptuous and quite fitting for this Feast Day," he said and headed for the Master bedroom to shower, and otherwise make himself ready. He had a brand new tuxedo made just for him. The kids were all anxious to see him in it, or so his little daughters said. Finally, the event he made this purchase for was imminent. "I'm on my way," he said, as he stepped out of his cottage and beamed himself to Del Sol Valley.
    "Oo-oo-ooh," the six children chorused, then burst into giggles.

"Whoa-ho, look at you, Cantrell. Lookin' rather spiffy, there," Thorne Bailey smirked, admiring Erik's cream colored formal Tuxedo with the gold lapel and cuffs.
    "Thank you much, Sir. I've got my fingers crossed for you tonight," Erik smiled at his friend. Sure enough, Bryanti, once again seemingly in the know, had glasses of juice at the ready. She gave a Toast, presumably for the holiday, but her timing was such that just as Thorne got up to accept his award, she raised her glass.

A short time later, the Host announced the winner for Best Song. Erik's smile was broad. He got up and made his way to the microphone, tugging every so gently at the hem of his jacket to straighten it out. Accepting the trophy, he raised it up above his head, Thank you Lord. Gazing at the audience, he said, "I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all of you. My fans, my family. Taygeta Studios, my label, to Orion Entertainment, Limited, for all of the concerts they setup. I would also like to dedicate this Accolade to the late Ayden Vinton. May your memory be Eternal. I shall miss you, my Friend." Wiping away a tear, yet again, Erik drew in a quiet breath to center himself once again. "I'm beginning to feel a bit spoiled by all of this attention, forgive me I'm also sleep-deprived."
    Smiling broadly, he held the trophy aloft. "You should have heard my children earlier today. If only I could coral them long enough to teach them to sing together! Individually, they sounded pretty darn good, even if I do say so myself. At odds with each other, each one singing something different, it was sublime chaos." Here Erik laughed a little. "Thank you for this amazing honor. Good night, Everybody. Kids go to to bed!" I'm going to need another shelf.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Chapter Twenty-Three: Blind Spot

After taking his family on vacation for a few weeks and then spending time in a luxury hotel, the new house Erik planned was ready for occupation. He hoped the beauty of it would be enough to quell Kayleigh's apprehensions over it. Once again, he thought wrong. While she was thrilled with it, very much liking the floorplan and the look of the house overall, what she feared the most slowly began to break out among their children. Like a contagion, the boys again had monsters under their beds, and the girls started acting up. Unrelenting, there was almost no relief.

Out came the long unused "Monster Spray", which was in all actuality plain water with a dribble or two of Holy Water. As Andrew and Peter screamed, hollered "Mommy, Mommy!" Kayleigh grabbed the bottle from the cabinet and headed upstairs. She sprayed both beds and then her eldest was in the midst of a meltdown. So, she went to the room he occupied by himself and again, she sprayed the bed and demanded, hand raised, for the monster 'to be gone.'

This wasn't enough, however, even with Erik's help, the monsters were winning.

Erik, in the meantime was very busy with his career. He held interviews with the Paparazzi, acted in bit parts for major movies, and played concerts. He even took a Selfie with a fan, trying to work passed his own misgivings.

In front of his new residence, the director and cast, along with the two camera Sims came to do the Shoot. The Paparazzi was also there. A chill ran through Erik when he sought a word with the Director on just how he wanted Erik to play the upcoming scene. "You want me to do what?
    "Slap him, good. Listen, he's done you wrong and he deserves the punishment. I know you can do this, Erik."
    Despite his reservations, Erik managed to pull it off, in one take, thankfully. the other actor's face was on the reddened side, however.

Back at one of his favorite venues, Erik promoted his twenty-fifth album, "Lyrics from the Edge". As he sang, a few off-key sounds met his ears. They were coming from the piano. Looking to the side, he was very greatly surprised to see his friend, Thorne Bailey, sitting there, appearing to play. What the heck?
    "Ha-ha, I would like to thank my accompanist, Thorne Bailey. That's right, give it up for the Sim." At the end of the last set, Erik busted a move, as was his custom. "Thank you, you've been a terrific audience!"

Cadence, the youngest of the brood was also showing just how spoiled she had become, to the parents' chagrin. She was unrelenting. Caught in the act, splattering paint on the new wood flooring of the Foyer, she was duly chastised by Erik, who was all but fed-up. He found himself struggling to keep his sudden anger in check. "What do you think you're doing?" Erik had to keep from exploding at her.
    Thankfully, after Cadence just stood staring up at her Daddy, clearly tolerating his rant, Kayleigh stepped in.
    "You," she growled, pointing a finger in the direction of the dining room, "pick a chair in the dining room and sit down. You are in Time-Out, young lady."

And so Cadence sat.

"I'll be out back, if you need me," Erik stated just moments later. He was angry, angrier at his own child than he had ever been. He needed an outlet. So, he took it out on the Training Bot. It had been a little while since he had given it a good workout. Erik punched and kicked until he was nearly worn out.

"Erik, do you mind if I have a turn?" Kayleigh said, a short time later. "The kids are all in bed, for the moment. I need to unwind. Hee-YA!"
    "Wow," Erik said as he watched his wife go through the differing steps. She could even launch herself into the air and kick the bot with her feet. When did you take instruction?

The very next day, Cadence was at it again. This time she chose to redecorate the flooring upstairs. she chose a spot in front of the Girls' bathroom. You little Imp, setting a trap for them to track footprints around the house?
    The parents held a conference, Harmony, as if on cue, went downstairs. Harmony, the second daughter in the family.

She knew the rules and that's what caused her parents so much grief. Not only that, she was an A student. And, yet, she climbed upon the coffee table as if she never understood it wasn't a chair. She knelt there for quite some time. When nobody showed up, she sought a different tactic. To make matters worse, she stood up, and began to tell a story aloud. Was she looking for attention?

As the youngest two boys, Andrew and Peter, continued to freak out over the monster(s) under their beds, despite how many times the beds were doused with "Monster Spray" until the bedding was damp, Erik finally gazed over at Kayleigh. "I guess you and I will have to pull out the sleeping bags and sleep on the floor." Kayleigh sighed but knew he was right. They all needed sleep.

Erik then proceeded to put the boys to bed. His and Kayleigh's bed, that is. The two quickly fell asleep.
    "Enjoy your night of luxury, boys, this won't happen every night," Erik whispered as he tucked them in.

• Options
    Chapter Twenty-Four: Blessed

Somehow, amidst the chaos his life had become, Erik managed to find his 'corner' and continued to write music. This was about the only time he found a sense of peace. This was his 'escape'. He bought himself a Digi-keyboard and decided to test it out. He was instantly inspired and wrote a song he called, "Daybreak".

He spent time one on one with his kids. Getting to know them better. He had a wonderful conversation with Melody, his eldest daughter. Eldest simply for the fact she was born minutes before Harmony. He took the family out to breakfast on Saturday morning. The conversation around the table was lively. Erik genuinely liked his children. They were bright, vivacious and thoughtful. He found them interesting little Sims. He loved each of them profoundly. More than he expected to, in fact.

After breakfast, they all took a swim together in the family pool. Erik smeared the cream over his scar as directed by his doctor. Sun was the enemy. The cream made his scar, itch, so he didn't like using it. It was much easier if he just stayed out of the sun. This was a family moment, so he joined them in the pool, despite his discomfort.

He also worked with the ones interested in learning music. He found himself explaining music theory to Andrew, fearing it was way over the child's head. But Andrew asked some very good questions, so maybe he was 'getting' it.

In the afternoon, Cadence got out of yet another round of Time-Out to take her piano lesson. "Cadence, Cadence, Cadence, what am I going to do with you?" Erik asked.
    "Teach me the piano, please," she said.
    "Okay, since you've asked so very nicely. Take a seat and we'll get started."

Moments into her tickling the ivories Erik fought to keep from cringing. This one needed a bit more direction. "Remember your timing. Count with me, one, two, three, four. I wish I knew what happened to my Metronome."

After the lesson, Erik took to the piano bench and reaffirmed how the piece was supposed to sound. Having put the polishing touches on his latest written song, Erik wasted no time to have it licensed.

Just as quickly, he got word back that once again his song was nominated for an award. The following Sunday had arrived. He took his wife and children to church, then enjoyed Coffee Hour with family and friends, although his six children instigated a huge game of tag with the other children in the parish. At one point, Cadence leading the way, they ran in from outside, a whole string of Child Sims to weave and bob in between the adults, cups of hot coffee in hand. Erik's stomach lurched. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa," he cried, loudly, the hot coffee sploshing from his cup onto his fingers. The children stopped to gaze at him. "You have a very nice play yard, go find it," he said, pointing to the door.

Once home, the jitters were doubled as a result. Since he wasn't to expose his scar to direct sunlight, Erik chose another way to help calm the pre-show jitters he was prone to suffering. He didn't need to sit there scratching his face all the evening long. He filled the jet-tub in the Master Bath, applied a mask that was supposed to have healing properties for the scar tissue and came highly recommended by his Dermatologist. At least it didn't make him itch. Next Erik added the muscle-soothing soak, set the timer on his phone, because when he managed to relax, he almost always fell asleep. Then stepping into the luxurious water, he popped the freshly cut cucumber circles over his eyes. The jets churning the water into bubbles was a very nice addition. In no time, he could feel himself relax. Before he knew it, the alarm went off. Erik scrambled out of the tub.

Erik was a clothes horse. He loved getting all spiffed up and looking fine. So, it was of no surprise when he donned a brand new red tuxedo for the event. He beamed into the PBP's hovercraft-lot. He received a chorus of cheers and shouts from fans and one Paparazzi who shouted, "Erik, over here!" He accommodated all of them. A wave, here, a smile there. It felt good to be loved and he felt blessed beyond words.

At last he went inside. Just in time, as it turned out. He no sooner took his seat, when "For his latest venture into the aural realm, the winner of tonight's Best Song, goes to …Erik Cantrell!"
    Erik wide awake this time, got up from his seat, nodded at those cheering in the audience. He arrived at the microphone and reached for the trophy. Picking up the Accolade, he stood silently for a moment, eyes closed. "This is amazing. I'm amazed and grateful and humbled. Thank you." Drawing in a calming breath, he continued giving his speech, "Thank you first of all to my fans, to Taygeta Studios. To Orion Entertainment, Limited, for all of the support along the way of my career. From the moment you noticed me, you've had my back, shown me the way to go and held me up when I began to falter." He held the trophy and gestured to the audience. "I would like to dedicate this to Ayden Vinton, who froze to death just outside of my house, trying to catch a glimpse of me. I miss you, Buddy." Before the room grew too quiet, he went on. "To all of my fans, I would like to say, if you're going to come to my house, and you're most welcome to do so, please, please, please, wear weather appropriate clothing. I'm not always home and it could be awhile before you see me. I love you All, and don't wish for anyone else to suffer a fate similar to poor Ayden. He was a good guy. I really liked him."
    The audience roared their appreciation. "Thank you. All of you for this great, great honor. Good night. Kids go to bed!"

When Erik arrived home again, he placed his trophy among the rest of them and stood back to just gaze at his achievement. He felt truly blessed.