Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the Gardening Path makes too much money to you?

It does to me. Unlike the painting, programming and writing path's that pay based on individual content (paintings, books, and programs completed), the gardening path only requires that you plant a seed and EVERYDAY you can collect money when it spawns after 5:30 am. So a tomato that sell for 3$ will get you 30$ a day from a tomato bush. In your life have you ever heard of a tree that spawns fruit everyday to eat or sell? I haven't. So I created a "challenge" for myself since I garden a lot. I treat the garden like a REAL JOB, and instead of getting paid everyday, I "sell" every Friday. The rest of the week I tend it, and fertilize it to make it evolve to be worth more money. I only grow "produce". No flowers, dragon fruits, bonsai buds, cow plant berry's, or pomergranites (?), since these are not on the menu. But mainly I limit myself to only 1 plant per category. No multiple plants of any type are allowed to keep making money sensible. I've had yards with multiple Dragon fruits and was rich in a week or two. That's boring. Of course being a self employed sim means that I take a day off when I want to or not. At any rate, would you tell me what you think of gardening as a career path, whether it's too easy to make money from it. Thx

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    One of my households in the game I'm playing right now has a freelance writer who also tends some chickens before writing each day and his wife who is in the culinary career track and who tends a garden each morning before work. They make far more money each day from her culinary career than she does from harvested crops. And his writing generates more money every day even though he doesn't even need to sit down and actually write every day. And don't even get me started on the profits that 2 chicken coops generate once you have mostly all golden hens.
    If I was growing only plants that have high sell values, gardening would be just as good as the others, I'm sure...the entire game is stupidly easy for making money though, gardening is not really an outlier.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I like the idea of gardening/farming as a career path. Yes, it's easy to get rich with multiple plants (especially flowers and exotics like dragon fruits, etc), but you can also keep the sim busy with all that gardening. Limiting your sim to one of each plant is a great way to slow down that income gain -that's a great idea that I will definitely remember! Adding animals adds to the time spent. If you keep getting too much money just don't harvest so often, and maybe one way to get rid of money is to donate it.

When I played the Millionaire Scenario I didn't allow my sim to garden or pick flowers to sell because I knew she'd go from struggling to tons of money very quickly. You are a bit more limited if you have Seasons, since you have to wait for the right season for various plants.

When I started playing with CL I only planted crops, and since she was out of money and starving it was lots of fun. I was using the lot challenge where you had to have the right crops in order to make food and for several days all she could eat was carrots and peas LOL.
  • Options
    BTW, there is a mod that makes ALL collectibles sell for less, and that includes all harvestables. You could consider using that if you really do think gardening makes too much money. That mod just occurred to me while in your other thread here.
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    One of my households in the game I'm playing right now has a freelance writer who also tends some chickens before writing each day and his wife who is in the culinary career track and who tends a garden each morning before work. They make far more money each day from her culinary career than she does from harvested crops. And his writing generates more money every day even though he doesn't even need to sit down and actually write every day. And don't even get me started on the profits that 2 chicken coops generate once you have mostly all golden hens.
    If I was growing only plants that have high sell values, gardening would be just as good as the others, I'm sure...the entire game is stupidly easy for making money though, gardening is not really an outlier.

Well you know us city boys don't do farming and all that. So no chicken coops for me StormKeep. And I pointed out that unlike writing, painting, or programming, the gardening path is unrealistic in the sense that you can sell fresh produce everyday after they spawn in the morning. You computer doesn't spawn a book or program everyday. A easel doesn't spawn a painting everyday. You have to sit down or stand up and make those to sell unlike the plant that you just plant once and watch money grow on trees so to speak. I kinda wnat my sim to have only one avenue of income. So I garden a lot to free up time to do other things. But I'm seeing now that there should be a limit to how much can be made from doing so. And I challenge myself since EA didn't.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Easy enough to deal with. Don't let your Sims sell the harvestables directly from inventory. Make selling them require that you visit a retail location and sell to the vendors there. It's what I do in my current game.
    This also can add some additional game play, because you could make it your goal to actually OWN the retail location where you sell produce (assuming you have the EP that lets you do that). Then you only make money from it when other Sims make purchases.

It's your game, you decide if you allow selling unrealistically or not.
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Easy enough to deal with. Don't let your Sims sell the harvestables directly from inventory. Make selling them require that you visit a retail location and sell to the vendors there. It's what I do in my current game.
    This also can add some additional game play, because you could make it your goal to actually OWN the retail location where you sell produce (assuming you have the EP that lets you do that). Then you only make money from it when other Sims make purchases.

It's your game, you decide if you allow selling unrealistically or not.

That still does not leave out gaining from a plants spawning everyday StormKeep. What do you think about this? Monday through Thursday you can weed, water, fertilize, and spray for bugs, but you can't harvest until Friday when you can sell the weeks produce?
  • Options
    Isharell wrote: »
    I like the idea of gardening/farming as a career path. Yes, it's easy to get rich with multiple plants (especially flowers and exotics like dragon fruits, etc), but you can also keep the sim busy with all that gardening. Limiting your sim to one of each plant is a great way to slow down that income gain -that's a great idea that I will definitely remember! Adding animals adds to the time spent. If you keep getting too much money just don't harvest so often, and maybe one way to get rid of money is to donate it.

When I played the Millionaire Scenario I didn't allow my sim to garden or pick flowers to sell because I knew she'd go from struggling to tons of money very quickly. You are a bit more limited if you have Seasons, since you have to wait for the right season for various plants.

When I started playing with CL I only planted crops, and since she was out of money and starving it was lots of fun. I was using the lot challenge where you had to have the right crops in order to make food and for several days all she could eat was carrots and peas LOL.

Seasons would be cool to curtail what can be grown in a season. However I recently started my own Gardening conditions. They are to weed, water, fertilize, and spray for bugs Monday-Thursday. Harvest or sell the weeks produce on Friday. That should cut down on the get rich quick aspect of TS4 Isharell
  • Options
    Just make sure you don't use the Great Soil lot trait with that approach and pray that your plants won't reset to dirt piles when you don't harvest them. (Not using the Great Soil lot trait, for me, is a big part of making sure that doesn't happen).
    I think only harvesting once a week would certainly make gardening less OP. I'd probably tune it so that the plants themselves grow slower if I was going to do that approach.
  • Options
    I rarely see a plant revert to the "dirt pile" stage. If you fertilize a plant on Monday, you can do it again on Friday. There's a 4 day wait btw fertilizing. TS4 made a mistake in my opinion by paying everyday for going to work. I brought getting paid once a week back to my game as is the case in the real world. Some jobs pay bi-weekly. P.s I didn't get the "OP" meaning.
  • Options
    OP means "over powered". Or Original Post...or Original Poster.... in this case I meant "over powered" though. Not confusing at all. . . ;)
  • Options
    Ahh!!! Over-powered as in gardening being a cash cow so to speak. It can be if not checked. Remember that it is us, the real Simmers who see the intricacies of this game and try to tweak what we can to make it more real for us.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    My sims harvest fruits and vegetables for food, provided they are asked to harvest them.
    When not harvesting or selling the fruit and vegetables, you might move them from the ground to the inventory before the gardener plant the seeds. Otherwise, your garden might be filled with plants and trees pretty soon.
  • Options
    My sims harvest fruits and vegetables for food, provided they are asked to harvest them.
    When not harvesting or selling the fruit and vegetables, you might move them from the ground to the inventory before the gardener plant the seeds. Otherwise, your garden might be filled with plants and trees pretty soon.

Where does a gardener plant seeds? I thought I did that.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    edited January 2022
    In my current and only game save my Sims consume their eggs from the chickens and the fresh garden harvestables themselves. Erik is a Rock Star and is making money hand-over-fist. He has no need to sell what he plants. When I get around to restarting my ancestral game save, they will need the revenue from the sales, besides needing to eat the produce. They didn't have grocery stores in the 18th century like we do today, chock full of whatever you may want like it used to be, here.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I'm a city boy. So I don't think I'll get Country Living. Besides, if we keep buying these packs, we'll never see TS5. EA knows that and they will release a new pack soon I hear. Mark my word. Some member will rave about the "new" pack and we'll all flock to the online shopping network to plunk down our credit card number and TS5 will wait for it's day some more.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

For instance, apples sometimes are found under apple trees, and gardeners sometimes attempt to plant those apples.

One of my households have plenty of cherry trees I am sure the members of that household never planted. I also sometimes got a message of no room available for planting something while the played sims were nowhere near the garden.

Edit: Here are two examples from the household I play now.

Two pears are seen between these to pear trees. They might be planted provided a gardener is hired for the household.

18_01_13.png

In this picture is a cherry tree and two more one their way.

18_01_14.png

To my knowledge, the members of the household only planted one pear tree and one cherry tree.
  • Options
    Worth mentioning...a gardener only comes and does that if you actually have hired a gardener. If your Sim is doing all of the work themself there won't be a gardener doing anything.
  • Options

For instance, apples sometimes are found under apple trees, and gardeners sometimes attempt to plant those apples.

One of my households have plenty of cherry trees I am sure the members of that household never planted. I also sometimes got a message of no room available for planting something while the played sims were nowhere near the garden.

Hmmm!!! I have used gardeners in the past and present and I've never had a plant that I did not plant myself. However, when I use a gardener, I go in knowing that he/she will cause my plants to evolve w/o me fertilizing them. Will keep a look out for the Mystery Plant in the Garden.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    Oh, wow! I didn’t know gardening could make quite a bit of money! 😲

I wanted one of my sims families to do some gardening and flower arranging, but they got too busy with toddler stuff (and one with a regular job), lol! Gotta get one of the sim parents to start on this garden money making thing…
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Oh, wow! I didn’t know gardening could make quite a bit of money! 😲

I wanted one of my sims families to do some gardening and flower arranging, but they got too busy with toddler stuff (and one with a regular job), lol! Gotta get one of the sim parents to start on this garden money making thing…

Gardening frees you up to do other things. Try it. You'll like it. Hmmm!!! Somewhere in my brain the name Mikey comes to mind.
  • Options

Edit: Here are two examples from the household I play now.

Two pears are seen between these to pear trees. They might be planted provided a gardener is hired for the household.

18_01_13.png

In this picture is a cherry tree and two more one their way.

18_01_14.png

To my knowledge, the members of the household only planted one pear tree and one cherry tree.

Warning Simmer. Your social bar is yellow. Easy to fix if living with someone, but my rule of thumb is to never go to bed with the fun, social, and hygiene bars yellow. They decrease slowly whereas the food and bladder are best leveled in the morning after the sim wakes up. They decrease the fastest. Just sayin you know
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Warning Simmer. Your social bar is yellow.

The sim is sleeping. As hinted he has nothing to do with the tree or the sprouts.

Sims can hardly deal with social needs while low on energy. Besides, the social bar is hardly an issue in a household with five sims.
  • Options
    Warning Simmer. Your social bar is yellow.

The sim is sleeping. As hinted he has nothing to do with the tree or the sprouts.

Sims can hardly deal with social needs while low on energy. Besides, the social bar is hardly an issue in a household with five sims.

Point well taken. And two of them are aliens. I guess my points were for a single sim rather that a family sim. And yes I see the two mounds of dirt that you say are budding cherry trees that you never planted. I find that interesting and will keep a closer look out in my games where I have a gardener working my lot.
  • Options
    It looks like the issue of the social bar was solved while another member of the household was buzy getting a massage at community lot.

18_01_15.png

• Options
    It looks like the issue of the social bar was solved while another member of the household was buzy getting a massage at community lot.

18_01_15.png

You're being slick. I like that. You're playing this save now. My man!!! Or My Woman!!!