Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to setup vsync to work on dual-graphics card laptop?

So basically I've done all the fixes needed to make this stubborn game run, because I miss playing it. So turning on vsync via nvidia control panel does nothing, and I'm assuming that's due to my laptop having integrated AMD graphics also. This therefore causes screen tearing ingame which apparently means so much lag you cannot play. I tried windowed mode and the lag isn't there but everything looks so jagged that I can barely tell what the text is saying sometimes. So what are my options here?

Thanks in advance to anyone that answers!

Additional info:
I have the steam version and my specs are
AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Mobile CPU w Radeon Vega 8 integrated graphics,
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 3GB GPU
16GB 2400MHZ DDR4 ram
250GB SSD+1TB HDD (game is located in HDD for now, since I don't mind load times and my SSD is loaded w uni programs, and it doesn't seem to affect preformance of the game)

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    1 - Check your DeviceConfig.log file (in your TS3 user game folder in Documents, a fresh one is generated every time you startup the game) to make sure the game is using your Nvidia card and not the Radeon integrated. The card may not show as formally recognized, that's a different and much less important issue, but it should still show as a 1050.

2 - On the Nvidia Control Panel, set up a profile for TS3.exe (for Patch 1.69/Origin) or TS3w.exe (with the "w" for Patch 1.67/Steam or all retail disc). The settings should then be Use High Def Card (or something like that), Triple Buffering On, Vertical Sync On (or Adaptive, whichever one works better). Vertical sync only works in full-screen mode.

3 - Have you capped the frame rate of this card and checked the actual frame rates you are getting in-game? The newest versions of the Nvidia Control Panel should also have a Max Frame Rate setting, which should be set to no higher than the refresh rate of your monitor/screen. Most are 60 Hz, so 60 fps but some can run higher. To check the actual frame rates in-game, Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console and type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed frame rate should never exceed 60 or whatever the refresh rate of your monitor is. To make the display go away, cheats console again and type fps off (enter). Max Frame Rate should work in both full screen and windowed modes. If the Control Panel doesn't lock things in, although it should, we usually move on to adding a third party tool that might do a better job such as Nvidia Inspector.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    IceeyIceey Posts: 148 Member
    Hello. Thank you for responding. I checked and the game is indeed using my gtx card. I didn't try turning triple buffering on so will tfy that out too. And yes, I've capped the framerate and it doesn't go any higher than 60 (have checked ingame). As i mentioned, it runs perfect in wondowed, just looks horrible so I hope i can turn vsync on.
  • Options
    hi! I've come back with updates. I tried triple buffering, I also tried using the AMD Software app and turned on freesync there but again didn't wokr. I installed nvidia inspector but can't seem to figure out how to use it? My game still tears. And yes. I've applied the fixes to the correct exe.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2021
    Are the drivers for both GPUs up to date? Did you ever have the game working properly, without the screen tears, on this system?

You might try capping the fps to some value just below 60, such as 59 or 58. Or to try something more drastic, even 30, just to see what happens.

But if you are still getting screen tears in full screen mode, a better bet might be to stay with windowed mode but adjust your system's native resolution to one that isn't blurry in-game if that is possible. This is a pretty common complaint for Win 10 (and probably Win 11) players. Often Windowed Borderless can help, but I believe we have talked about that solution before.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    I think i did manage to make the game work with windowed borderless and nothing else worked. I guess I'll just have to go with that again. And no, this machine has always had screen tearing when it comes to the sims 3. Back then i didn't play the game much since the lag was unbearable but this time round it's good (in windowed). Anyways thanks a lot, I think I'll just use windowed borderless!
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    If you still get screen tearing in windowed borderless, you could try a utility that forces v-sync even when the Nvidia Control Panel doesn't work. It's called D3DOverrider and is based on RivaTuner Statistics Server. It's old, but last I checked, it still works for Sims 3 and other DX9 games.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/84-d3doverrider/?changelog=32