Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sorry about English question here

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
edited November 2021 in Off Topic Chat
Hi, I'm playing the Sims series in English version as I've been living in English spoken country, but I'm not an English native, so sometimes, English expression in the Sims are confusing to me and I got one today. I googled but I didn't find any good explanation about this verb,'drink'.

1.jpg

I saw 'has been drank recently' ...

As far as I know, 'drank' is used only for past tense, but the formation has to be 'has been past participle' in the sentence. Is it possible 'drank' can be used as 'past participle'? I googled but I didn't find anything like this formation. I appreciate all helps. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    edited November 2021
    It should be ‘drunk from’, but it means the same thing in context. I have heard people use drank as a past particle before even though it’s improper, mostly when they are talking really fast and don’t remember.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Options
    BookBear wrote: »
    It should be ‘drunk from’, but it means the same thing in context. I have heard people use drank as a past particle before even though it’s improper, mostly when they are talking really fast and don’t remember.
    Ahh..so it could be right gramatically?

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    BookBear wrote: »
    Ahh..so it could be right gramatically?

Technically, it's not correct.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    As far as I know, it's not actually grammatically correct, like the Simmers above posted. However, in this sense it means the Sim in question has had the "Drink From" interaction used on them too recently for it to happen again. English is funny sometimes :lol:
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Definitely wrong, and not the first glaring error I've found in Sims4. Has been drunk from, is correct, even though "has been drunk" is also correct and means something entirely different (it means has been inebriated). Correct use of the verb forms are I drink, I drank, I have been/had gotten drunk, or in the case of vampirism, I was drunk from/have been drunk from. Never "been drank from" ever.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    @DeKay Thanks :)
    @Mizzila1297 Yes it could be...if the vampire was more main in the sentence. :D
    @ignominiusrex Thank you. I thought all English alerts are correct grammatically in the Sims game. But I found the 1st incorrect one this time. :D
  • Options
    I wonder if they purposely changed it to "drank" cuz they don't want to use the word "drunk" in the game. Like what Iggy said, it could mean intoxicated and in the game, they used "juiced" or something like that. 😂
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited November 2021
    DeKay wrote: »
    I wonder if they purposely changed it to "drank" cuz they don't want to use the word "drunk" in the game. Like what Iggy said, it could mean intoxicated and in the game, they used "juiced" or something like that. 😂
    Hopefully it's just a simple grammar error instead of going with the idea that players somehow associate "drunk" exclusively with alcohol consumption.
  • Options

Actually I wish that way. It's funny. :D

• Options
    @ignominiusrex Thank you. I thought all English alerts are correct grammatically in the Sims game. But I found the 1st incorrect one this time. :D

good on you for spotting it! Nah, the game alerts have had a few errors in Sims4, and by errors, I don't mean irony such as 'troll teh forums' or the positive evolution of English to include using 'they/them' for individuals when 'he' or 'she' cannot or should not be assumed.

That would be ridiculous of them to do: saying "have/had drank" or "been drank from" is as illiterate as saying "have/had went". Considering that drinking and getting drunk is called juicing and getting juiced in the game, there is no conflict there with game vernacular anyway.
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options

good on you for spotting it! Nah, the game alerts have had a few errors in Sims4, and by errors, I don't mean irony such as 'troll teh forums' or the positive evolution of English to include using 'they/them' for individuals when 'he' or 'she' cannot or should not be assumed.

That would be ridiculous of them to do: saying "have/had drank" or "been drank from" is as illiterate as saying "have/had went". Considering that drinking and getting drunk is called juicing and getting juiced in the game, there is no conflict there with game vernacular anyway.

Well, that's my point. They kinda "soften" the word "drunk" by changing it to "juiced". If they didn't have a problem with the word drunk, then why say juice when they can just say drunk for when your sims drank too much? 😂
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

Well, that's my point. They kinda "soften" the word "drunk" by changing it to "juiced". If they didn't have a problem with the word drunk, then why say juice when they can just say drunk for when your sims drank too much? 😂

And that is also precisely my point: they would not need to break the grammar to say "drank" when it's "drunk" to avoid any confusion, since they don't mention drunkenness as such, in the game at all. I have a very hard time believing a game with so many cool adult innuendoes carefully crafted to fly under the radar, would have the need to use broken English to hide the word drunk, in its actual, literal, literate context.

There are many words with slang meanings that are suggestive or adult when taken in the wrong context, that are nonetheless present in the game so I flat-out don't buy that this error was anything but an error, of which there have been a few instances of over the course of gameplay, that have no such hypothetical explanation. I suppose whoever wrote it, could tell us the truth if they wanted to settle this, but the speculation's good for the forum traffic.
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options

And that is also precisely my point: they would not need to break the grammar to say "drank" when it's "drunk" to avoid any confusion, since they don't mention drunkenness as such, in the game at all. I have a very hard time believing a game with so many cool adult innuendoes carefully crafted to fly under the radar, would have the need to use broken English to hide the word drunk, in its actual, literal, literate context.

There are many words with slang meanings that are suggestive or adult when taken in the wrong context, that are nonetheless present in the game so I flat-out don't buy that this error was anything but an error, of which there have been a few instances of over the course of gameplay, that have no such hypothetical explanation. I suppose whoever wrote it, could tell us the truth if they wanted to settle this, but the speculation's good for the forum traffic.

It might be possible that Maxis would correct the text if we request some errors in AHQ site. I can try this one there. :)
  • Options

It might be possible that Maxis would correct the text if we request some errors in AHQ site. I can try this one there. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's pretty harmless. I was just enjoying the discussion.
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's pretty harmless. I was just enjoying the discussion.

Oh ok..I haven't started yet. :) Yea sometimes, I enjoy Maxis' own created English expressions for sims. :D