Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not Sure What To Do

So I've taken kind of a long break from playing but I feel conflicted about the state of my save file and my Sims within it.

It's about four generations in from when I started it but I feel like it's in a really good spot, so good in fact that I don't really want to play with them and change anything about it. My original Sim is now an elder with grandchildren and some of his siblings-in-law, whom I also play, already have great grand children and the whole extended family is close and friendly with each other, so I guess I've kinda gotten attached to them all, watching them grow. It makes me a bit sad because I want to continue playing with them, even though I think where they are at is perfect, and because I don't really want to start a new game because I feel like I might just end up having any new Sims I make go through the same thing with the same premade family.

I don't want to "abandon" them, but I so unsure about what to do. It also seems so silly considering they're just pixels and code and all that. Maybe this is what it's like to be a god and to care for all your little people.

Comments

• Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    You could always do a "Save as..." to make an alternate universe for them. Or even more than one; perhaps a save for each of certain groups of sims or families to focus on. You could experiment with other ways to play them. That way your original save is intact if you decide you don't like that way of playing.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    You could just turn aging off and continue to play with your favorite family without changing anything, and enjoy :) ?

(until you get bored... if that happens)
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited October 2021
    I generally agree with @VeeDub. My entire library is full of my favorite Sims and alternative versions of them. I reroll saves/starts/Sims all the time, a habit I have had for years due to long term save jank (every iteration of the Sims has had some problem with it). Sometimes the story comes to a really nice conclusion and anymore would just tarnish it like a TV show that runs too long. If the old save and a brand new save both will not cut it, the best choice is to try to do something in the middle.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't hurt to take a break either. You're bound to have an idea for a tweak or even something completely new eventually. Plus DLC is always coming out if you just want to wait for that to add something.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Aww I know this feeling. I have had it too. I usually have two solutions. Either I go and play a different family (usually some background family) in the same save until I feel ready to continue with my most beloved families and have got new ideas what to do with them. Or then I just reassure myself that I should just go and play the family I like, enjoy it and see what happens to them next. I will have the memories of the current time and even if these sims eventually die I will have new sims that I get attached to. I play with long lifespan and sometimes I stop aging if I don't want my sims to age up yet :smile:
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Definitely make an alternate save file as VeeDub suggested. I do this as well. Then go crazy in a new world! Save as "Archived World V" for example... I create many start saves for this very purpose.

It may be going overboard, but I even have some Save and Tray files uploaded to OneDrive in case I need to do a complete reinstall of my game.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    You could always do a "Save as..." to make an alternate universe for them. Or even more than one; perhaps a save for each of certain groups of sims or families to focus on. You could experiment with other ways to play them. That way your original save is intact if you decide you don't like that way of playing.

I agree.
    I will be in a similar position soon. I had been playing a wonderful group of YAs for years when we received Parenthood and toddlers. I aged all my YAs down to toddlers, gave them parents, and I am playing out their back-stories as I prepare them for and play them through University.

Along the way, I have accumulated made-over dormies that I want to live in the various worlds too.
    When everyone has graduated and I have placed the dormies, I will create a save as and keep my original save as a master save.
    It will stay as is and I can make new copies of it to start new games.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    HazellyHazelly Posts: 38 Member
    > @Froil said:
    > So I've taken kind of a long break from playing but I feel conflicted about the state of my save file and my Sims within it.
    >
    > It's about four generations in from when I started it but I feel like it's in a really good spot, so good in fact that I don't really want to play with them and change anything about it. My original Sim is now an elder with grandchildren and some of his siblings-in-law, whom I also play, already have great grand children and the whole extended family is close and friendly with each other, so I guess I've kinda gotten attached to them all, watching them grow. It makes me a bit sad because I want to continue playing with them, even though I think where they are at is perfect, and because I don't really want to start a new game because I feel like I might just end up having any new Sims I make go through the same thing with the same premade family.
    >
    > I don't want to "abandon" them, but I so unsure about what to do. It also seems so silly considering they're just pixels and code and all that. Maybe this is what it's like to be a god and to care for all your little people.

I like to play matchmaker with my sims when I get bored I make a 'Love interest' for them I take a break from the main family and play them for a bit creating new storylines and by the time I'm finished I'm excited to play the main family again and basically keep repeating the cycle until I get bored of the family all together and restart the game. :)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Froil wrote: »
    So I've taken kind of a long break from playing but I feel conflicted about the state of my save file and my Sims within it.

It's about four generations in from when I started it but I feel like it's in a really good spot, so good in fact that I don't really want to play with them and change anything about it. My original Sim is now an elder with grandchildren and some of his siblings-in-law, whom I also play, already have great grand children and the whole extended family is close and friendly with each other, so I guess I've kinda gotten attached to them all, watching them grow. It makes me a bit sad because I want to continue playing with them, even though I think where they are at is perfect, and because I don't really want to start a new game because I feel like I might just end up having any new Sims I make go through the same thing with the same premade family.

I don't want to "abandon" them, but I so unsure about what to do. It also seems so silly considering they're just pixels and code and all that. Maybe this is what it's like to be a god and to care for all your little people.

Make a copy of your save and set it aside. Also, you could try playing with aging off, so that your Elders don't suddenly leave the Sim world. If you play this way, you could turn aging back on when the younger ones are ready for that next age and then turn aging back off. I played this way in Sims2, to have more time with the babies and the Toddlers.

Or, you could do what VeeDub suggested do the Save As to preserve your sims as they are now. Either way, you've preserved the save where you wish to keep it and explored what could be in their futures. Best of luck to you!

The important thing is to HAVE FUN.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,965 Member
    edited October 2021
    Well in this situation maybe keep separate copy of this save with save as so you can return to it if things go very wrong

I play multiple households in same save so in my case i would just turn aging off

and start playing another household and leave them appearing on the background of my save just as someone to interact with :blush: kind of like my own set of "townies"

that way you don't have to be playing them but you can see them around from time to time
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free