Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have a question about monitors

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
edited September 2021 in Off Topic Chat
hi, I got a descent PC for free recently, and want to get a new monitor for my pc.
The spec is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz Geforce GTX1080Ti.

I was trying to get the 27 inches with 144Hz IPS UHD screen but my graphics card cannot display with 144 hz monitor. So I changed mind to get the 60 hz instead, but also heard the text can be too small on 27 inch monitor with UHD. So I'm trying to get 32 inches, and found 2. But they are all out of stock near my place. Would you recommend descent monitors?

The 2 monitors I tried to get are:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-aorus-32-fi32u-3840x2160-4k-ss-ips-144hz-1ms-hdr400-freesync-widescreen-led-backlit-gaming-mo-00n-gi.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-32-32un880-3840x2160-uhd-4k-ips-60hz-freesync-ergo-stand-widescreen-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-15u-lg.html

I've been trying to get a monitor for a month but still haven't found a good one. The gigabyte one can be my maximum budget. Thank you.:)

Comments

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    You definitely can use a 144hz monitor. What makes you think you can't? All you have to do is go into the display settings and change the default 60hz to 144hz, because by default all monitors are at 60hz.

Or maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.
  • Options
    Astro wrote: »
    You definitely can use a 144hz monitor. What makes you think you can't? All you have to do is go into the display settings and change the default 60hz to 144hz, because by default all monitors are at 60hz.

Really? GTX1080Ti on UHD 4K monitor at 144 Hz? Then could you suggest a good one for me?

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »

Really? GTX1080Ti on UHD 4K monitor at 144 Hz? Then could you suggest a good one for me?

Do you want a 4k or 1440p monitor at 144hz? A 4k monitor at 144hz is going to be a rare find and I don't think you'll be able to get 144 fps at that resolution in most games at any rate.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    haneul wrote: »

Do you want a 4k or 1440p monitor at 144hz? A 4k monitor at 144hz is going to be a rare find and I don't think you'll be able to get 144 fps at that resolution in most games at any rate.

Thanks a lot. I wish to get 32 inch UHD at 60 or 75Hz on IPS panel if it’s possible, and wish to have tilt and height adjust feature. Will it be too greedy if I also wish to have the built in speaker feature as well? The gigabyte one on the 1st link can be the rare case I think.

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member

Thanks a lot. I wish to get 32 inch UHD at 60 or 75Hz on IPS panel if it’s possible, and wish to have tilt and height adjust feature. Will it be too greedy if I also wish to have the built in speaker feature as well? The gigabyte one on the 1st link can be the rare case I think.
    Do you have a budget? That 4k 144fps monitor you mentioned before exists - it's just expensive and you probably won't get that high of fps. And do you know if the UHD you want is 4k or 1440p? Sometimes people use UHD for both.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Do you have a budget? That 4k 144fps monitor you mentioned before exists - it's just expensive and you probably won't get that high of fps. And do you know if the UHD you want is 4k or 1440p? Sometimes people use UHD for both.

I want only 3840 2160.:) No I'd like to get 60 or 75hz?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Hm, yeah I'm not really finding many 4k monitors at 144hz.

But like @hanuel said you won't get good frames at all, and honestly there's not much point in playing in 4k anyway.
    Now a 1440p monitor at 144hz would be relatively easy to find, and you card would work well with that, as long as you're not playing really graphically intense games.
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited September 2021
    Depends on what kind of video games you plan on playing. If it is just for sims 3, you really should reconsider getting a 4K 144Hz monitor, it is seriously too much of an overkill for sims 3, which by default caps all animations to 30fps and without capping the game, it is prone to ridiculously overwork your GPU and therefore decreasing its lifespan for the long run.

Furthermore, when chosen to display sims 3 in a resolution higher than 1080p, the game‘s UI becomes increasingly small to the point where you cannot see what the texts are without proper magnification.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Astro @Kelvin
    Once, I get a new monitor, I’m planning to use it at least for 5 years further, and also one of my family can use it occasionally for other games. Even though, it can be an overkill, I’d love to get a really good one. The reason I want to get the 3840 2160 is that I have to force to play the sims 3 in fullscreen mode on 2560 1440 resolution and I don’t like it. If I set the resolution to 1440p in game option on windowed mode, then I am not able to click “start’ button as that button goes down under the task bar, and the text in game gets broken as I already experienced this before. For enjoying the game with 2560 1440 resolution on windowed mode, I need the higher resolution than 1440p. That’s why I rather go for 4K on 32 inch instead of 27 inch, so that I can enjoy playing the sims 3 with 2560 1440 resolution on windowed mode. So I don’t want any 5K or above as I know that will be definitely overkill.
    Actually, I got the cheap IPS panel on 28 inched monitor a month before with 399 euros and I regret to buy this monitor. No built in speaker, No height adjustment and tilt features, and also this monitor is slightly looking down at me, so I had to put a towel underneath the stand to balance the screen. Also this monitor is 4K at 144Hz but it doesn’t seem to go well with The Sims 4. I’m having lags in the sims 4 with only 350 Mbs Mods folder size. I’m not using MCCC or other big mods such as a slice of life, reshade? or HQ? something like that. I don’t use them at all. My sims4 game is pretty much plain with some no autonomous simple tweak mods. I don’t think I can expect to run the sims 3 very well on this monitor. So my maximum budget is up to 1,000 euros from minimum 500. I don’t want to get a cheap one again. Thanks for all concerns. :)
    Post edited by Jeansoo on
  • Options
    Hi, I decided to change my mind. Could you have a look this monitor? It looks good. I’d like to experience the faster refresh rate, instead of UHD.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-FreeSync-Premium-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B094W7WFW5/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&qid=1631235121&refinements=p_89:Gigabyte&s=computers&sr=1-12
    Thanks for all opinions. I thought about your all comments one more time and changed my mind. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Astro @Kelvin
    Once, I get a new monitor, I’m planning to use it at least for 5 years further, and also one of my family can use it occasionally for other games. Even though, it can be an overkill, I’d love to get a really good one. The reason I want to get the 3840 2160 is that I have to force to play the sims 3 in fullscreen mode on 2560 1440 resolution and I don’t like it. If I set the resolution to 1440p in game option on windowed mode, then I am not able to click “start’ button as that button goes down under the task bar, and the text in game gets broken as I already experienced this before. For enjoying the game with 2560 1440 resolution on windowed mode, I need the higher resolution than 1440p. That’s why I rather go for 4K on 32 inch instead of 27 inch, so that I can enjoy playing the sims 3 with 2560 1440 resolution on windowed mode. So I don’t want any 5K or above as I know that will be definitely overkill.
    Actually, I got the cheap IPS panel on 28 inched monitor a month before with 399 euros and I regret to buy this monitor. No built in speaker, No height adjustment and tilt features, and also this monitor is slightly looking down at me, so I had to put a towel underneath the stand to balance the screen. Also this monitor is 4K at 144Hz but it doesn’t seem to go well with The Sims 4. I’m having lags in the sims 4 with only 350 Mbs Mods folder size. I’m not using MCCC or other big mods such as a slice of life, reshade? or HQ? something like that. I don’t use them at all. My sims4 game is pretty much plain with some no autonomous simple tweak mods. I don’t think I can expect to run the sims 3 very well on this monitor. So my maximum budget is up to 1,000 euros from minimum 500. I don’t want to get a cheap one again. Thanks for all concerns. :)
    Have you tried borderless window? I've been using it for a while now and love it.
    https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Astro @Kelvin
    Have you tried borderless window? I've been using it for a while now and love it.
    https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases

Of course I tried it before. I had to set up before applying it to my TS3 but for some reason, I tried to make an effort to apply it for a couple of days but the setting didn’t work on my game. Finally I gave up. :( Oh also I’m shortsighted, I want a bit bigger screen to see the bigger text. I played the sims 3 on 40 inched TV screen early this year, and my eyes were quite comfortable but the screen was way too big. The text was quite small for windowed mode play on 27 inched Imac to me. If I get a 32 inches QHD, then I expect I can enjoy the sims 3 on 1920 1200 windowed mode as I used to play with this resolution on IMac. So I want to get a better graphics instead I give up UHD resolution.
    I tried to go back to Intel based IMac 27 inch, but Apple don’t use Geforce card any more. Also I tried Mac Mini M1 version but it doesn’t support Boot Camp any more, it causes force quit on Mac 64 bit version without mods and ccs, and the graphics is much worse than pc version on Boot Camp windows side. That’s why I turned to PC user. M1 system is like a cruel to the sims 3 game. I didn’t have to worry about the monitor while using IMac, but now I’ve been searching everywhere to find a good one for pc.

• Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have a 2560 x 1440 27" monitor and I can read the text just fine. I think I have the zoom in the browsers set to 125%. I play Sims 3 just fine on it. It's a 60 Hz monitor, and that's fine for Sims, but I want a higher refresh rate for my next monitor. I have a GTX 1060 6GB, so I would need a better card for higher refresh rate.

1440p and 27" is the sweet spot, I think. I can't see individual pixels, so that's great.

I think that if you have a monitor with fast refresh rate and your GPU can't handle it, you can lower the refresh rate to 75 or 60 Hz and use that until you get a better GPU.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cororon wrote: »
    I have a 2560 x 1440 27" monitor and I can read the text just fine. I think I have the zoom in the browsers set to 125%. I play Sims 3 just fine on it. It's a 60 Hz monitor, and that's fine for Sims, but I want a higher refresh rate for my next monitor. I have a GTX 1060 6GB, so I would need a better card for higher refresh rate.

1440p and 27" is the sweet spot, I think. I can't see individual pixels, so that's great.

I think that if you have a monitor with fast refresh rate and your GPU can't handle it, you can lower the refresh rate to 75 or 60 Hz and use that until you get a better GPU.
    Zoom in the browsers? Is that a separate software? I won’t have a problem to read the text on fullscreen mode. The problem is the text gets smaller on windowed mode. Yes I used 27 inch 60hz on IMac before for a long time, so I want to experience the faster refresh rate this time if my graphics card can manage with that. :)