Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Technical help: Sims 4 makes laptop battery die

Hello all,
so this happened more than once, i would start up the game of the sims 4 on about 41% battery. Launch it, can play for a few minutes then suddenly my battery dies. I plug it in and it usually recovers where i left off. I have an HP Pavilon. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if it can be solved?
Favorite EP/SP
Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
Sims 3 Showtime
Sims 3 Generations
My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Does this happen with any other game/program? I know 4, and games in general, eat my battery power like no tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Does this happen with any other game/program? I know 4, and games in general, eat my battery power like no tomorrow.

Doesn't happen with TS2. At all, the battery literallys warns me if it is dying. if i'm playing 4, theres like no warning at all. Also fine when i'm playing facebook games too
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Hello all,
    so this happened more than once, i would start up the game of the sims 4 on about 41% battery. Launch it, can play for a few minutes then suddenly my battery dies. I plug it in and it usually recovers where i left off. I have an HP Pavilon. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if it can be solved?

I also play on an HP Pavilion, and The Sims 4 drains my battery quickly too. My battery lasts much longer with other games.
  • Options
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    Hello all,

I also play on an HP Pavilion, and The Sims 4 drains my battery quickly too. My battery lasts much longer with other games.

That's good to hear!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • Options
    I cannot imagine those being as power hungry as 4. Hm... I think I had a similar issue with my old laptop. (I upgraded in January.) I do not remember every specific, but it was ridiculous how games in particular devoured its battery life. I got to the point that I pretty well never played anything unplugged. I do think it warned me, but being honest I'd never attempt to play anything below 90% charge unplugged.

I unplug my new thing, though. It could be a battery issue. 4 isn't the most optimized from what I understand, but it doesn't sound like it is crashing. You can try varying flavors of power saver mode and see if that helps, but beyond an upgrade (parts or otherwise) I do not really know what to do besides playing plugged.
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I cannot imagine those being as power hungry as 4. Hm... I think I had a similar issue with my old laptop. (I upgraded in January.) I do not remember every specific, but it was ridiculous how games in particular devoured its battery life. I got to the point that I pretty well never played anything unplugged. I do think it warned me, but being honest I'd never attempt to play anything below 90% charge unplugged.

I unplug my new thing, though. It could be a battery issue. 4 isn't the most optimized from what I understand, but it doesn't sound like it is crashing. You can try varying flavors of power saver mode and see if that helps, but beyond an upgrade (parts or otherwise) I do not really know what to do besides playing plugged.

okay well thank you, and at least we know the sims 4 is just power hungry!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    If you read up on it, articles from experts will tell you to never, never, EVER play a game on a laptop strictly using the battery. Keep it plugged in and make sure there is adequate airflow to keep the unit from overheating.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    If you read up on it, articles from experts will tell you to never, never, EVER play a game on a laptop strictly using the battery. Keep it plugged in and make sure there is adequate airflow to keep the unit from overheating.

Good to know thanks!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Hello all,

I've had a something die on me on my last HP Omen. Have a look at the HP support site or try your HP Support Assistant on your computer as there are apps there that can test everything on your machine. I had bought an extra year's insurance for mine and HP collected it and repaired it for me. It wasn't the battery, though I got the same cannot fill up battery problem as you had.

One app. they have on HP support can check the whole works and if failing can arrange the pickup from your address and collect it in their own packaging material if the machine is failing. I just had to put in my laptop and power lead. It took a bit longer than the 3 weeks they said it would as the Lockdown started at the same time but it came back better than ever.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    Hello all,

I've had a something die on me on my last HP Omen. Have a look at the HP support site or try your HP Support Assistant on your computer as there are apps there that can test everything on your machine. I had bought an extra year's insurance for mine and HP collected it and repaired it for me. It wasn't the battery, though I got the same cannot fill up battery problem as you had.

One app. they have on HP support can check the whole works and if failing can arrange the pickup from your address and collect it in their own packaging material if the machine is failing. I just had to put in my laptop and power lead. It took a bit longer than the 3 weeks they said it would as the Lockdown started at the same time but it came back better than ever.

Good to know thanks. used HP Support Assistant sometimes as well.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I always play my gaming laptop plugged in, I did my HP that way too. I lose track of time playing sims 4, once in awhile the plug will fall out and my computer warns me that the battery is low.
  • Options

Just out of curiosity, why? Obviously overheating is bad because it can damage your computer and air flow prevents that, but as far as I know you can play whatever unplugged without damage. You just will not get very far on your battery.
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I slowly killed my old laptop by leaving it plugged in 24/7. Now, it can say that it's at 100% charge, but the moment I unplug it ZAP it's off.
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    I slowly killed my old laptop by leaving it plugged in 24/7. Now, it can say that it's at 100% charge, but the moment I unplug it ZAP it's off.

Yeah, this is what I have heard about all my life about electronic batteries. You theoretically aren't supposed to keep them plugged in all (to most of) the time. When I tried looking into this, I found that all these details depend on the type of battery. Once upon a time, apparently you could ruin a battery pretty quickly because the earlier models were fickle.

Anyway, they eventually wear out with use in my experience. Part of the main reason I upgrade my phone. *shrug*