Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is TS4's broken personality system irrepairable at this point?

People have been complaining about this for ages, but I don't want to be vague. The specific problem is that Sims have default personalities that override traits. For example; no matter what traits you give to your Sims, their overriding trait is to be social and happy. If you need proof of this, create a Sim that has only negative traits (dastardly, evil, etc) and then send them to the bar---they will happily choose to chat up everyone in the bar, the same as any Sim with all good traits.

This must stop. All defaults need to be removed, and Sims should act solely upon the traits they were given, and nothing else. Until this happens, the game will always seem boring and predictable, because you already know what any Sim will do in any given situation.

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2021
    No one knows if it can be repaired as EA/Maxis has an poor track record of tweaking their game and they are the ones who knows if it can be fixed. It is probably too much work for them to do and may interfere with their work on packs(their priority these days). If EA/Maxis put in the work it maybe can be done, but right now over 7 years has passed and Sims 4 is still having problems.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Unfortunately I don't think they will ever address it. For some reason, most players simply don't seem to care, they're more concerned with silly little bugs that don't affect gameplay in any meaningful way.
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    If it can't be changed, at least I would like to be able to add more traits per character, three are just too few, I think six or more would be good, it would definitely help in giving more personality to the characters
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    Unfortunately I don't think they will ever address it. For some reason, most players simply don't seem to care, they're more concerned with silly little bugs that don't affect gameplay in any meaningful way.
    About the bolded part, very subjective, as something what may seem minor to you, may be game breaking to someone else :)

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    About the bolded part, very subjective, as something what may seem minor to you, may be game breaking to someone else :)

I'm sorry, but problems with mirror bugs or lactose intolerant traits are not game breakers, they're slight inconveniences at best
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    Nate, I've been saying this for years as part of the #EAListen movement on Twitter.

1) We need the diametric personality sliders (Sims 2 style) e.g. active-lazy, outgoing-shy, neat-messy. This is the CORE Personality. Sims AI (what actions they choose by default), as well as the animation styles that are used (such as how they react or talk with other sims), are DETERMINED first by the core personality. I detest that EA threw this amazing personality system away in favor of Sims 3 traits

2) HOWEVER, traits still have their place. Traits ON TOP of personality adds additional flavor.

A good question: why can't traits alone suffice? Answer: the act of forcing the core personality into a diametric slider of extremes (e.g., strong active, neutral, or strong lazy) as well as over a fixed number of dimensions (5 aspects of personality in the sims 2) that is consistent for ALL SIMS no matter the future expansion packs make the personality ACTUALLY PROGRAMMABLE AND LOGICAL.

It's reasonable to make animations and AI decisions by saying....okay, if your Sim has at least 7 out of 10 in the direction of active, we're going to give them the quick get-out-of-bed animation instead of the slow get-out-of-bed. Basically, every Sim can get be bucketed into one of the extremes or neutral for every personality aspect.

With traits...there is an effectively infinite number of them, and they range in type. A "vegan" trait is different from a "neurotic" trait which is different from an "ambitious" trait. Sure, you can program specific quirks or abilities for each trait, but they range in type and not every Sim has a degree of strength in every single trait. This makes programming animations and AI difficult for every single trait. The problem expands when you add additional traits.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    They wont do it for ts4. Hope for ts5 or not at all.

We need a return of personality points AND traits, along with prefereces/likes/dislikes for interests, activites, foods, and a sophisticated attraction system.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,875 Member
    Time to get your questions and suggestions ready for Thursday's feedback thread.

We’d love to hear more about it! Let us know what a higher level of challenge and depth in the Base Game would look like for you. What would you expect from it? How would this change your current experience of The Sims 4?

On August 19th starting at 6AM Pacific Time, we’ll be welcoming your comments again during 24 hours in The Sims Forums here: Sims 411 - Forum Feedback, August 19th.
  • Options
    lifeofdaydreamslifeofdaydreams Posts: 44 Member
    2) HOWEVER, traits still have their place. Traits ON TOP of personality adds additional flavor.

I would love to see this happen. Having a fix set of characteristics your sims will have, regardless of their traits, and being able to pick where they stand regarding it, and also having traits to fill the gaps that don't fit those categories. It would be awesome.

• Options
    Characteristics would be fine, but the "one size fits all" ones we have now have to be done away with, or it wouldn't work