Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can’t we make cakes off the grid?

I truly don’t understand why we’re only allowed to cook a few meals off the grid. I’m tired of my sims being sad that they didn’t get a cake on their birthday.
Never forgive, always forget.

Comments

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I truly don’t understand why we’re only allowed to cook a few meals off the grid. I’m tired of my sims being sad that they didn’t get a cake on their birthday.

You’re supposed to be able to upgrade your off the grid stove & fridge with a fuel cell and fuel it with either bits and pieces from the recycling machine or with biofuel from the bug farms and cook all of your normal recipes as long as they’re fueled up enough but it’s not working. You can try placing generators you will need to fuel those up too but if you place enough of them you can cook normal stuff otg. You can also try solar panels and turbines but make sure you’re storing your surplus energy not selling it, because you will have to wait until you have enough stored energy to operate your stove.
  • Options
    BookHoardBookHoard Posts: 1 New Member
    It's ridiculous and annoying. You can seriously make just about anything in a wood burning stove. I know people who can bake a cake over a campfire. I really wanted to use off the grid but it just frustrated me too darn much. Do the developers think they never cooked meat or baked goods before the advent of electricity?
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Somebody took it for granted that everyone was going to buy the Eco Lifestyle pack in order to be able to use fuel cells and whatever else comes with that pack. They didn't take into account that there are other ways to bake things or that not everyone was going to buy Eco Lifestyle.

There are light fixtures with candles that still haven't been cataloged properly. I also don't get why my Sim has to travel to another lot to use his cellphone to get a job but he can use his tablet just fine. I haven't played off-the-grid in a while. The last time I did my Sim couldn't use a dartboard or a card table which made no sense. A typewriter could have been added at the time the off-the-grid trait was introduced but instead, someone decided to come out with a computer that looks like a typewriter in Country Living. The alternative is, of course, a custom content typewriter. I wonder if there's a mod that catalogs things properly?
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,911 Member
    My two biggest pet peeves about off the grid are definitely the cooking options and bathtubs. (In what world would you be able to shower off the grid, but not bathe? It makes no sense whatsoever. Do they think no one ever took a bath before 1879?)
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2022
    I vehemently agree with everything said in this thread!

Amapola76 wrote: »
    My two biggest pet peeves about off the grid are definitely the cooking options and bathtubs. (In what world would you be able to shower off the grid, but not bathe? It makes no sense whatsoever. Do they think no one ever took a bath before 1879?)

Not only did people never take a bath prior to 1879, but they also apparently never drank tea before electricity was invented either. Afterall, one cannot boil water without an electric stove or a plug-in electric kettle, dontchaknow. :|

And thus, our poor little ceramic tea pot sets will just sit there.... lonely.... dusty.... and unused.

The new manual tea sets that are coming with the wedding gamepack also DO NOT function off-grid. *heavy sigh*

Edit to add: Oh and by the way (in case anyone was wondering), the new wall candle that's coming in the wedding pack is also NOT functional off-grid. It actually has a power consumption rating of 10. In fact, NONE of the candles coming in the new pack will be functional off-grid.... and they all have a power consumption rating of 10. Candles needing electricity to work..... *lets out yet another heavy sigh*
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited February 2022
    I vehemently agree with everything said in this thread!

Not only did people never take a bath prior to 1879, but they also apparently never drank tea before electricity was invented either. Afterall, one cannot boil water without an electric stove or a plug-in electric kettle, dontchaknow. :|

And thus, our poor little ceramic tea pot sets will just sit there.... lonely.... dusty.... and unused.

The new manual tea sets that are coming with the wedding gamepack also DO NOT function off-grid. *heavy sigh*

Edit to add: Oh and by the way (in case anyone was wondering), the new wall candle that's coming in the wedding pack is also NOT functional off-grid. It actually has a power consumption rating of 10. In fact, NONE of the candles coming in the new pack will be functional off-grid.... and they all have a power consumption rating of 10. Candles needing electricity to work..... *lets out yet another heavy sigh*

Has this been confirmed? I asked the question on this forum but never got an answer. Omg, that is very disappointing. :(:(:(

The devs definitely have a strange view on what people needs electricity.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Oh, and let's not forget that fireplaces work off the grid, but contribute massively to an industrial environmental score, because apparently (a) no one in the pre-industrial era ever built a fire, and (b) our sims are all just burning enormous buckets of coal in their fireplaces.
  • Options
    The new manual tea sets that are coming with the wedding gamepack also DO NOT function off-grid.

Really?! What the heck.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2022
    It's not officially confirmed and I've yet to see any gamechanger confirm it in their bb reviews, but looking at each bb item's description from the pics provided by the Sims Community website, none of the items that should function off-grid say so in their descriptions. If something is functional off-grid (specifically lighting, plumbing, and appliances), it always specifies it at the bottom of the item description.

Unless maybe they've made the appropriate changes at the last minute? But I'm doubtful they've given that oversight any precedence this past week while they've been quickly trying to fix all the other bugs/problems before tomorrow's deadline?
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022
    Oh, and let's not forget that fireplaces work off the grid, but contribute massively to an industrial environmental score, because apparently (a) no one in the pre-industrial era ever built a fire, and (b) our sims are all just burning enormous buckets of coal in their fireplaces.

You realise that wood is basically carbon and that by burning it you are releasing that carbon back into the air, right? Trees absorb carbon from the air and use it to grow.

This is why planting trees/plants increases Green footprint and burning wood adds to the Industrial footprint.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »

You realise that wood is basically carbon and that by burning it you are releasing that carbon back into the air, right? Trees absorb carbon from the air and use it to grow.

This is why planting trees/plants increases Green footprint and burning wood adds to the Industrial footprint.

Sure, if you have a dense population burning lots of fires in one relatively confined area. Bur for those of us with historical saves, having one or two households in a small neighborhood, it's pretty ridiculous to have one fire and then have your environmental score plummet from green to industrial overnight, despite having everything else possible as a mitigating factor.