Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 on Origin and Steam

Hello! :)
I have this questions, on steam there's good sales on sims 4 dlc's and I would like to buy, but I don't even have the base game there, I have all my sims content on origin.
So if I buy dlc's on steam can I transfer them to origin?
Can I also transfer my sims 4 base game to steam?
If I transfer the dlc's from steam, can I play it on origin witouth opening steam?
Someone can please explain me how all of this works? ;)

Comments

• Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited July 2021
    Pretty sure that once you're in Steam, there's no way out of Steam.

I bought the game through Steam in early April because they had a sale just like the one right now. I wish I hadn't - but the sale there was too good to pass up. I don't like having layers of other people's Terms of Service and data analytics between me and what I've paid for...

Even just Origin is more than I want in there, but now I have both Origin and Steam between me and my purchase.

That said, I think there is a way to move your game from Origin to Steam - but it's a one way trip or I would move in the other direction. And being on Steam really just means you load Steam which loads Origin which loads Sims... and these other 2 apps stay on while you have the game going happily monitoring your computer use...

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Checked this the other day. You can't use DLC from Steam if you have the base game on Origin. CDkeys has the cheapest DLC I could find. About a tenner for an expansion pack and gives you an Origin key
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    You can use DLC bought just on Origin with a base game bought on Steam
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    Pretty sure that once you're in Steam, there's no way out of Steam.

I bought the game through Steam in early April because they had a sale just like the one right now. I wish I hadn't - but the sale there was too good to pass up. I don't like having layers of other people's Terms of Service and data analytics between me and what I've paid for...

Even just Origin is more than I want in there, but now I have both Origin and Steam between me and my purchase.

That said, I think there is a way to move your game from Origin to Steam - but it's a one way trip or I would move in the other direction. And being on Steam really just means you load Steam which loads Origin which loads Sims... and these other 2 apps stay on while you have the game going happily monitoring your computer use...

Checked this the other day. You can't use DLC from Steam if you have the base game on Origin. CDkeys has the cheapest DLC I could find. About a tenner for an expansion pack and gives you an Origin key
    You can use DLC bought just on Origin with a base game bought on Steam

Thank you for the answers! :)
    I think I will stay with sims on origin, and I will wait for sales there
    Do you know when and how often origin has sims 4 sales?

• Options
    DenimjoDenimjo Posts: 213 Member

Have you tried adding The Sims 4 Base game to Steam via the 'Add a Non-Steam Game to Library' option from the Games menu?
    Zl8Iuk9.jpg
  • Options
    Denimjo wrote: »

Have you tried adding The Sims 4 Base game to Steam via the 'Add a Non-Steam Game to Library' option from the Games menu?

I haven't actually tried that, but I asked a similar question a few days ago. But while waiting for answer I found this on the EA site:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Is-it-possible-to-transfer-dlc-from-STEAM-to-Origin-SIMS4/td-p/9511292

relevant bit of post from that link:

---
    If I buy a game on Steam, can I buy DLC for that game on Origin?

Yep! You can buy DLC both on Origin and Steam.

If I buy a game on Origin, can I buy DLC for that game on Steam?

For Origin-purchased base games, you’ll need to buy all DLC in Origin
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    DenimjoDenimjo Posts: 213 Member
    edited July 2021
    You know, TS4 is currently MASSIVELY discounted on Steam right now at a whopping 88% discount (in my case it's sitting at $4.79 CAN); you may want to consider just ponying up for the base game on Steam as well, as much as I hate having to suggest buying a game twice.
    Zl8Iuk9.jpg
  • Options
    Denimjo wrote: »
    You know, TS4 is currently MASSIVELY discounted on Steam right now at a whopping 88% discount (in my case it's sitting at $4.79 CAN); you may want to consider just ponying up for the base game on Steam as well, as much as I hate having to suggest buying a game twice.

I did actually consider that, but I found what I wanted on CDKeys even cheaper than Steam. The OP seems happy to wait for an Origin sale. More patience than me :)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....