Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As for playing the sims 3 on laptop

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hi, I'm about to move to the country where I used to live soon, so currently I'm playing the sims 3 on my spouse's laptop. My new PC is packed in the suit case at the moment. My spouse is also a hard gamer, so he upgraded the laptop higher. I belived I wouln't have any problem with the sims 3 all Eps and Sps but I was wrong. Today, I experiencced forced quit 2 times while playing the sims 3. I had never experienced this kind of forced quit with my old imac although the graphic card was not the good one. So I wonder it's not good to play the sims 3 with all packs on any gaming laptop or this laptop's spec is not good enough with the sims 3.

Please let me describe my computer specs first for getting help.

1. Old i mac: i7 7700@ 3,6Ghz, 16GB ram, Radeon pro 560 512 SSD
2. New descktop PC I got recently: i7 8700K@3.7Gghz? (Not sure), 16GB rams, GTX1080Ti 500 SSD
4. Current spouse's laptop:i7 7700HQ 2.8Ghz, 32GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1060 3TBs of SSD(Alien Ware notebook)

1. I got a problem with GPU while playing the sims 3. I know it was almost up to 90 percentage while playing the sims 3. So I understand this I have occasional force quit from GPU.
2. A bit lag with 3.7 GB of store items, otherwise no problem at all.
3. I experience frequent force quit. No alert of 'the sims 3 stopped working'. Just I see the desktop background image all of a sudden.

Is laptop not recommended for the sims 3 or is it from the specification issue of my laptop?

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited June 2021
    I'm not that knowledgeable of computers, but I play on a decently good gaming laptop myself. Both Sims 3 and 4 with all packs and some 3 Store Content. I haven't had any real problems and I even managed to migrate save files from a early 2000s PC. I'd be lying if I said it never crashed, but nothing that kept me from playing.

Although, last I heard 3 was not recommended for laptops in the day and 4 was supposed to be easier on them. However, today's laptops should be more capable and it works on mine for example.

It's a Sager:
    Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz 3.79 GHz
    32.0 GB Installed RAM
    4 TB Sabrent Rocket SSD
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Is your gpu recognized by the game? It shouldn’t be at 90% usage, mine is never over 55.

As far as quitting to desktop, your game may be hitting the ram limit or it maybe be a problem with the game not recognizing your gpu.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I often see very high GPU usage reported in my Task Manager, on a bootcamped iMac with a Radeon Pro 560X. Since essentially nothing else should be using the GPU while I'm playing the game, I never saw this as more than an oddity with the Task Manager and not really a significant problem.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @Calico45
    Looks like your spec is much higher than mine. I wouldn/t have any problem either with your spec. :)

@Astro
    When I have a look the task manager while playing TS3 on old imac, it was always 80 up to 95. That’s why I’ve been considering to go for the PC, because Mac always build their computers with low specs of Radeon graphics card. I always have white object issue and get the object color back after 10 to 15 seconds with my old imac. My spouse said the cpu is still good but the graphics card is not good enough for gaming. I agree with him.

@igazor
    Sadly, I had an issue with the Radeon graphics card since I newly got that imac. I wondered why it took long time to load objects with the new imac… I see the white objects mostly for 10 to 15 seconds when I load the 40 40 size lot. Not sure you still remember that you recommended Riva tuner and that helped my game. ;) I don’t use decoration a lot as I’m very lazy at building. I just place a couple of paintings or sculptures with couple of beds in the house. But still takes long time to load them. I opened the same house on the new pc desktop with gtx1080ti, all the images are loaded almost straightaway, even though the pc desktop was used for a couple of years. I got the pc desktop for free from my spouse and still amazing. Only the problem is that it’s not easy to use the styling tool with 3.7 gbs of store items. I experienced lagging in buy mode while styling objects. When I quit the styling, no lags in build/buy mode. I don’t use cc items for build/buy mode except for imac cc computer.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I think it must just be an issue with your laptop, I've been playing 3 on 3 different laptops over the past 9 years and I can't remember the last time it crashed/force quit. Even when it did it was never that regular. I use the NRAAS mod now which is supposed to reduce lag and make it run better, so maybe try that?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think it must just be an issue with your laptop, I've been playing 3 on 3 different laptops over the past 9 years and I can't remember the last time it crashed/force quit. Even when it did it was never that regular. I use the NRAAS mod now which is supposed to reduce lag and make it run better, so maybe try that?

I have lots of NRaas mods installed. NRaas MC, MC cheat, MC integration, Overwatch, Register, Hybrid, Once Read, Mover, etc...I have all Eps and Sps installed includes Pets. I'm considering to inactivate Pets only this time. Anyway, I'm getting my PC Desktop back soon, then i won't have this issue again. I don't have lagging in my bridgeport game though. I turned off all memory system, in game store system, and leave the game offline always but still experience crashing. This time, I don't have DVD drive built in this laptop, so I installed all packs through Origin. This is only different point with other computers. Also I turned off origin in game as well but still experience crashing.