Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl's review of Dream Home Decorator pack is out

texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
Here's Carl's review on the DHD pack, specifically on the career. It mentions how the renovations impact the clients (or how it doesn't...)...
https://youtu.be/4pNcl2-xHIo

Comments

• Options
    grevilliabluegrevilliablue Posts: 304 Member
    Oh dear. That doesn't sound good. I still plan to get it though.
  • Options

I know, thank you for the information. But i want to make a thread for this one in specific.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Yeah, I figured it would end up this way. No matter what questions I asked or what way I looked, it did not seem like a lot gameplay wise. *sigh* I'll only pick this up if I need it to share builds, and on sale at that. It's a shame, but I love the update at least. (Those kind of preferences have always felt more superficial to me anyway, even in past games.)
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I knew from watching the 1st trailer that this was not going to be a gameplay heavy pack.

So you can make an absolute mess of the house and clients will love it so long as the right color is there? I know simmers love asking for more realism, so you'd think that the client seeing an absolute wrecked room would send their designer packing instead of praising them to high heaven. But then I remembered that is the Sims 4 and challenge is bad and getting rewards for not even doing the barest minimum is good.

I still like the B/B and some of the hairs look pretty sweet, but I definitely am not going to be spending much time in the career unless they fix it up a bit. Still though, Im not using my wallet. Free giftcards are taking care of this.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited June 2021
    Honestly, this should've been a stuff pack, I think the blow back would not have been as much.
    The positives - the new slots under bunkbeds, the new likes dislike system, the modular shelves and sofas. Cook tops that can be placed on any counter.
    The negative - not really enough game play for a game pack and the one career they created really cobbled pieces from existing careers and then built something on top of it that Carl shows is not really working. They should've built a brand new career system from the ground floor that truly worked. Where people would freak out that you removed all their windows and left a pile of 💩 in the middle of the floor. Instead they are cheering, even though the room is worse because he used the color red and added the musical instrument they like.

Builders - those who just build aren't going to care about the career because they never planned to play it. They will care about the additional ease of building sectionals, modular furniture and bunkbeds/lofts.

Not sure why EA/Maxis decided this should be a game back instead of the obvious stuff pack it is. And it can't be because it took so much time to create because we had two community stuff packs that took time to create. Also it can't be because there are so many animations. EA is an animation company that is what they do, create games with animations. They can pull talent from all across that vast company or hire contractors who can quickly animate things. So it must be that there are just some simmers who will shell out money and purchase packs just because the pack exists. Because this feels like a milk them for all their worth pack, and that's a shame.

I thoroughly enjoy building and can spend hours building, though I am not near as good as some of the builders who find novel ways to use things in the game to create just amazing builds. So this pack appeals to me from a building perspective. But not enough to pay for it. Like Eco Lifestyle, another pack I was excited to purchase, but did not. The negatives and bugs far outweigh the positives.

@InuMiroLover yeah, if someone gifted me the pack I would play with the build items. But I won't shell out my money for it. Enjoy the pack.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member
    Wow...I mean the 'gameplay' seemed poor in the other reviews but..eesh, this just shows how poor it is. The sims were happy with poop...says it all.
    Really should've been a stuff pack, the build items and such look great no complaints to be had there but this is not a gamepack.
    Didn't even get a new world, at least with a new world it would offset the lacking gameplay a bit.
    Shame :/
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Wow...I mean the 'gameplay' seemed poor in the other reviews but..eesh, this just shows how poor it is. The sims were happy with poop...says it all.
    Really should've been a stuff pack, the build items and such look great no complaints to be had there but this is not a gamepack.
    Didn't even get a new world, at least with a new world it would offset the lacking gameplay a bit.

To be honest, I wouldn't expect the game to be looking for all the tons of objects in Buydebug and blacklist objects, especially poop.
    Who goes around looking for poop to place? A bathroom without a toilet, a kitchen without a refrigerator, stove, or sink, yeah that makes sense.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

To be honest, I wouldn't expect the game to be looking for all the tons of objects in Buydebug and blacklist objects, especially poop.
    Who goes around looking for poop to place? A bathroom without a toilet, a kitchen without a refrigerator, stove, or sink, yeah that makes sense.

Yeah, the game doesn't even look for that. There are no required objects for the gigs.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »

Yeah, the game doesn't even look for that. There are no required objects for the gigs.

The architect career in sims 3 had that. And you would get bonus if to those required objects you would add something related to the client's traits. The upcoming decorator career has some improvements over 3's, like being asked to add rooms and floors or decorate a whole floor, but is a major downgrade in this particular aspect...
  • Options
    K_PlaysK_Plays Posts: 102 Member
    logion wrote: »

The more I think about this, the weirder it is. The code already has it built in for various lot types, so it seems like it could be adapted to say a kitchen needs these objects, plus add something random (but sensible) like the client wants plants (opposed to randomly wanting a rock wall in the kitchen...).
  • Options
    Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member

Don't sims usually have a disgusted reaction to poop? just seems weird that they don't mind it being there and are actually happy it's there.

They don't seem to have used a 'required items' for the gigs though. So you can have a bathroom without a toilet ect so long as it's the fave colour the sims will love it.
    There just doesn't seem to have been much put into the feature of this gamepack. Just some animations for the sims and a wee slideshow.
    It's just disappointing, it could've been much better, add a new small world where you could do up some lots as well, could've been a fun pack.

• Options

Don't sims usually have a disgusted reaction to poop? just seems weird that they don't mind it being there and are actually happy it's there.

They don't seem to have used a 'required items' for the gigs though. So you can have a bathroom without a toilet ect so long as it's the fave colour the sims will love it.
    There just doesn't seem to have been much put into the feature of this gamepack. Just some animations for the sims and a wee slideshow.
    It's just disappointing, it could've been much better, add a new small world where you could do up some lots as well, could've been a fun pack.

Agree. Ambitions came with several careers plus a lot more content, it was a packed expansion pack. Now we get a 20 euros gamepack with only one career and even that one is incomplete and completelly missing the point... I'm so disapointed!
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    The reviews have pretty much confirmed my opinions of the pack, it’s for builders only and has nothing of value for a player like me.

I will wait for a sale and buy it for the CAS items. Hopefully they will have the bugs/glitches fixed by then too.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    "Sims were happy at seeing crap!" :D

• Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Is it just me or has he become more and more negative? I remember when Carl's Guides were neutral or positive. The last year or so it seemed he's always upset.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,926 Member
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has he become more and more negative? I remember when Carl's Guides were neutral or positive. The last year or so it seemed he's always upset.

It is "popular" now ;)

I miss the neutral reviews too.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Funny to see a review BEFORE the actual product is out...
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    Jyotai wrote: »

Game changers have access to the packs before us. It's a great marketing strategy.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    He received the product on Thursday.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Watched the full thing and yikes. This really does seem like the worst game pack theyve ever added without any doubt. Honestly even Spa Day was better and that's saying something as that pack was bordering on stuff pack.