Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are Patreon/paid Exclusives Content Allowed In The Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    MElleSimsMElleSims Posts: 77 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    MElleSims wrote: »
    The sense of entitlement in this community over these people's work is jaw-dropping.

so is the sense of entitlement for other people's money? I could understand If people were requesting their works, then I say yes- definitely charge for it sense someone is asking for you time and skills, but a lot of them go out their way to make content. No one asks them to do this during their free time- they choose to do it. If they are going to charge, then fine--but it definitely should be free after some time sense they are not affliciated with the company nor own the rights to this game.

They are not entitled to your money because the game still works whether or not you have that piece of content.

True. But it works bad. So bad i can't play without bug fixes. For me some modders are saving the game. Thankfullly the one's i need share their work for free. I'm thankfull because the company that sold me the game seems to not care or is just fixing the game so slowly that is almost embarassing...

It does work bad. But isn't it a bit ironic that the company who is releasing a bad game is getting paid, while the content creators and modders who fix it are expected to do it for free?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,762 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything legally which allows people to make mods... Mods exist because Maxis allows it, which makes it difficult for them to enforce rules for people that lock their mods on Patreon. I'm pretty sure the rule they have which says that you have to make mods free after a time are so they can more easily allow modding and don't have to enforce the End User License Agreement.

You don't want EA's take on the matter, all that they can do is ban modding for the sims4. Maxis might be able to help you out, but I doubt it.

In my opinion, modding works best as a grey area (within limits), when you start to enforce rules and try to involve EULA then that's when things just go bad and no one wins. If people want to hide their content behind paywalls, then I think the only choice we really have is to go somewhere else, if no one pays for their content on patreon then they make no money.

Trouble is that there is no one else that do certain types of mods and in the same way, some of these modders know that and make sure their content can't be easily accessed because it's a one of a kind.

So in those instances, there is no "somewhere else" to go for modding needs.

Yeah in those cases it's bad, but I don't think you should try to force a rule on someone who clearly doesn't care, like the creator of NPCC as you mentioned, I would recommend zero's or bienchens npc control mods instead.

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I don't think there is anything legally which allows people to make mods... Mods exist because Maxis allows it, which makes it difficult for them to enforce rules for people that lock their mods on Patreon. I'm pretty sure the rule they have which says that you have to make mods free after a time are so they can more easily allow modding and don't have to enforce the End User License Agreement.

You don't want EA's take on the matter, all that they can do is ban modding for the sims4. Maxis might be able to help you out, but I doubt it.

In my opinion, modding works best as a grey area (within limits), when you start to enforce rules and try to involve EULA then that's when things just go bad and no one wins. If people want to hide their content behind paywalls, then I think the only choice we really have is to go somewhere else, if no one pays for their content on patreon then they make no money.

Trouble is that there is no one else that do certain types of mods and in the same way, some of these modders know that and make sure their content can't be easily accessed because it's a one of a kind.

So in those instances, there is no "somewhere else" to go for modding needs.
    Jyotai wrote: »
    The creator of [...some mod] is one that needs a wake up call. Their latest public release was [a long time ago]
    ... [so homey needs] to get his/her act together and put those updates out.

I suppose this is the flip side of the stance I note above. Because they're not supposed to be charging for their CC, it's not like we can have an expectation of them working on it unpaid.

There is no expectation they should be forcing us to pay them either or that they should be paid for giving of their own free time. Just so you know, there are modder teams out there for TS4 and other games that do these things gratis and under correct licences, do they have an expectation they should be paid for their work as well?

Nobody's forcing you to pay - there's thousands of other content for you out there. You don't need the content in your game for it to function.

Everybody should be compensated for their work one way or another. I agree that not releasing the content after a while is wrong but wanting to report a content creator for doing it when there are literally thousands more cc out there that a person could turn to is just ridiculous. for a lot of these people, utilizing their talent to make money is a serious help. i cannot personally afford any of the patreon exclusive stuff but i recognize that people are putting a serious amount of effort and just go on with my day.

I'm a cc addict and I agree with this. It's annoying how many cc makers these day are locking content. And obviously it's against the rules.
    But it seems also equally petty to report a maker because you just HAD TO HAVE that blue dress so you're bitter about it, because you can find an very similar blue dress for free. And you don't NEED it either.
    I've noticed that with all types of content there are so many free alternatives out there.

Not saying anyone shouldn't report if that's what they choose to do but EA can't do much about it except police content. And I personally don't want my world of content policed. That would just discourage creators and limit my cc even more. Then no one gets the blue dress.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    You guys are missing the point. It's illegal to use all these free programs and EAs/Maxis assets and then charge for them. If you read the terms of services for most of these programs, you aren't supposed to sell anything you made using anything but a paid licensed copy. If you are using student edition or a free trial or the free program, it's illegal. EA has made rules to follow. These creators should follow them. Simple as that. They should be reported when they don't follow the rules or we end up with a bunch of creators just trying to make an easy buck. And don't tell me it's not easy, a lot of them just do conversions of other assets and that's like a 3 minute job. Even some of the high charging creators, I've seen them using models that are free on blender or other 3d program websites. It's ridiculous that any of you think they deserve money for doing conversions. Watch a YouTube video and you can literally learn in 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    You guys are missing the point. It's illegal to use all these free programs and EAs/Maxis assets and then charge for them. If you read the terms of services for most of these programs, you aren't supposed to sell anything you made using anything but a paid licensed copy. If you are using student edition or a free trial or the free program, it's illegal. EA has made rules to follow. These creators should follow them. Simple as that. They should be reported when they don't follow the rules or we end up with a bunch of creators just trying to make an easy buck. And don't tell me it's not easy, a lot of them just do conversions of other assets and that's like a 3 minute job. Even some of the high charging creators, I've seen them using models that are free on blender or other 3d program websites. It's ridiculous that any of you think they deserve money for doing conversions. Watch a YouTube video and you can literally learn in 5 minutes.

Then do it yourself perhaps? If it's easy I see even less of a problem.
  • Options
    It might be illegal, but so should be launching lackluster content, charging a ridiculous amount for it and then asking for modders to do all your work free of charge.
  • Options

Good thing I do.
    It might be illegal, but so should be launching lackluster content, charging a ridiculous amount for it and then asking for modders to do all your work free of charge.

As far as I'm aware, the modders who fix bugs don't charge. It's the creators that make clothes and furniture that do.
  • Options

Good thing I do.

As far as I'm aware, the modders who fix bugs don't charge. It's the creators that make clothes and furniture that do.

Well then what's the problem? I don't disagree that it's illegal - it is. But I do think that it's illegal in the same way that downloading copyrighted music is illegal - ultimately harmless.if you make your own stuff and are satisfied with the quality, why go out of your way to report a modder/creator who charges?
  • Options

Good thing I do.

Well then what's the problem? I don't disagree that it's illegal - it is. But I do think that it's illegal in the same way that downloading copyrighted music is illegal - ultimately harmless.if you make your own stuff and are satisfied with the quality, why go out of your way to report a modder/creator who charges?

I never said I did. But I definitely think they should be reported. And I don't download things illegally. Maybe I have a set of ethics that don't align with yours, but I actually pay for my content. And I do sub to some modders, even when I know their stuff is ultimately free. People have done it for me over the years and I repay it when I think it's deserved, too.
  • Options

Good thing I do.

I never said I did. But I definitely think they should be reported. And I don't download things illegally. Maybe I have a set of ethics that don't align with yours, but I actually pay for my content. And I do sub to some modders, even when I know their stuff is ultimately free. People have done it for me over the years and I repay it when I think it's deserved, too.

Well fair enough then. I don't have the money to sub, but if i ever do I would do so gladly. I can see why they forbid it and allow only early access stuff. However, I don't think it's that easy to create content like that and have tried to do it myself with little success. Maybe because you can, it looks different to you than what it looks like to someone who is inexperienced with that. But to me it looks incredibly complicated and deserving of a reward, especially since EA relies on content creators to keep the game fun and playable. For many, playing the game without any content would be unthinkable.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2021
    texxx78 wrote: »
    The sense of entitlement in this community over these people's work is jaw-dropping.

so is the sense of entitlement for other people's money? I could understand If people were requesting their works, then I say yes- definitely charge for it sense someone is asking for you time and skills, but a lot of them go out their way to make content. No one asks them to do this during their free time- they choose to do it. If they are going to charge, then fine--but it definitely should be free after some time sense they are not affliciated with the company nor own the rights to this game.

They are not entitled to your money because the game still works whether or not you have that piece of content.

True. But it works bad. So bad i can't play without bug fixes. For me some modders are saving the game. Thankfullly the one's i need share their work for free. I'm thankfull because the company that sold me the game seems to not care or is just fixing the game so slowly that is almost embarassing...

It does work bad. But isn't it a bit ironic that the company who is releasing a bad game is getting paid, while the content creators and modders who fix it are expected to do it for free?

That's exactly what i'm saying.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Let me just say this guys, I don't buy any of this content, never have and never will and I'm a creator myself and have always kept my content free. The reason im speaking up about this again is cause of craziness that's happening. People are now charging 100 bucks for a mod folder and cc their patreons. If EA says this is illegal then when are they going to draw a limit here?
    fyxqsmO.png
    giphy.gif

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    SailorCeti wrote: »
    If it isn’t allowed, that sucks. People spend their time, energy and talent on that CC. I see no reason they shouldn’t be compensated monetarily. I’ve always wondered why people didn’t charge for quality CC. It’s not like it’s usable outside of the sims and isn’t taking anything from EA. People need to buy the sims either way.

@SailorCeti You cannot sell something made for some else's product. EA has all the rights to the Sims 4 and it's not legal to "sell" CC. The only gray area is making the CC exclusive to subscribers for about 2-3 weeks but after that you are required to make it public and free. If you see any Creator abusing the system please report them to EA. At the end of the day they don't have the rights to the Sims 4.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,361 Member
    edited May 2021
    You cannot sell something made for some else's product. EA has all the rights to the Sims 4 and it's not legal to "sell" CC. The only gray area is making the CC exclusive to subscribers for about 2-3 weeks but after that you are required to make it public and free. If you see any Creator abusing the system please report them to EA. At the end of the day they don't have the rights to the Sims 4.

Apparently not as the OP started a similar thread 4 years ago and it seems nothing has changed. The only option is to continue to report if you feel strongly about it. Maybe reach out to SimGuruFrost or SimGuruLyndsay.
  • Options
    Let me just say this guys, I don't buy any of this content, never have and never will and I'm a creator myself and have always kept my content free. The reason im speaking up about this again is cause of craziness that's happening. People are now charging 100 bucks for a mod folder and cc their patreons. If EA says this is illegal then when are they going to draw a limit here?
    fyxqsmO.png

This is what I'm talking about. This person is literally selling other people's content and other game assets he or she converted. That's way over the line. Shoot, I'd also report that to the other games as well. After spending how much on this game, this person is trying to scam $100 out of simmers. That's so ridiculous and dishonest.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    fyxqsmO.png
    Yeah that is just wrong especially since it isn't their mods and CC to charge for. That is a huge no no in the mod community to charge for someone else's work.

But yes you can use this feature especially since that is breaking terms of service completely: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/report-players-for-cheating-abuse-and-harassment/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yeah in those cases it's bad, but I don't think you should try to force a rule on someone who clearly doesn't care, like the creator of NPCC as you mentioned, I would recommend zero's or bienchens npc control mods instead.

The rule they disgard because they don't care is one who needs reminding of the rule, forcefully if needed.
    Everyone follows rules and yet why do one or two decide to think they are more special and don't have to follow them simply because they created something?
    If i send that report out to EA today and they jump all over it, perhaps the mod creator will start to actually care what he/she is doing more.
    fyxqsmO.png

And this is why some creators and some others should be reminded of the rules forcefully simply because they don't care to follow them in the first place. This is right out of order in this instance and look at how many downloads the user got from the picture, 6 downloads on mods part b. at least $600 has been scammed and look at what is written "Exclusive cc included of course:" but how much is exclusive? 1% of the stuff there? it's not stated how much is actually exclusive and how much is stuff you can get anywhere, let alone out of date.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,115 Member
    fyxqsmO.png

That's hilarious. You mean some people would actually pay for that? More fool them.

I wonder how much of that 30GB is other people's CC?

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    We have been dancing with issue since Custom Content creators have appeared. Even back in the early days the "Entitled" crowd had issues with Custom Content getting reimbursed for the hard work. These folks are making your better so be thankful or wait years for EA to do half the job.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    We have been dancing with issue since Custom Content creators have appeared. Even back in the early days the "Entitled" crowd had issues with Custom Content getting reimbursed for the hard work. These folks are making your better so be thankful or wait years for EA to do half the job.

I don't think the issue is players feeling 'entitled' to free cc. Some above have mentioned that they do give donations to CC creators.
    A quick look at the Patreon pages of some of the more well known creators and how much they get donated shows them getting quite a bit of revenue as none compulsory donations for their content. And that's creators that abide by the rule of releasing to the public after a couple of weeks. Players are happy to donate, however start trying to donate to all the creators of every mod you use and you may quickly go broke :)
  • Options

Entitled?? You know who is acting entitled...content creators who think they deserve to be paid for doing a job they learned from a free tutorial and use free programs to alter a game's assets that they don't own. That's entitlement.
  • Options
    marissimmarissim Posts: 55 Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > That's hilarious. You mean some people would actually pay for that? More fool them.
    >
    > I wonder how much of that 30GB is other people's CC?

I have seen reports of this user on Tumblr today. Apparently, they just take other people's cc and sell it off. Even the stuff that has been converted, has been created by someone elses, and as we can see, none of the creators are credited.
    Now this is something that should & deserves being reported. Legit creators that dedicate their time making the game better 99% of the time respect the 2-3 weeks rule and in return only ask for optional pledges. And we are talking about 1 to 5 euros tops.
    Most even have optional Patreons and all of the cc is free no matter what without early access. I can understand pledging to someone who doesn't update their content must be annoying, but we can't blame everyone for what some are doing. Just because some people decide to ignore the rules, doesn't mean that everyone is at fault.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,115 Member
    marissim wrote: »
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > That's hilarious. You mean some people would actually pay for that? More fool them.
    >
    > I wonder how much of that 30GB is other people's CC?

I have seen reports of this user on Tumblr today. Apparently, they just take other people's cc and sell it off. Even the stuff that has been converted, has been created by someone elses, and as we can see, none of the creators are credited.
    Now this is something that should & deserves being reported. Legit creators that dedicate their time making the game better 99% of the time respect the 2-3 weeks rule and in return only ask for optional pledges. And we are talking about 1 to 5 euros tops.
    Most even have optional Patreons and all of the cc is free no matter what without early access. I can understand pledging to someone who doesn't update their content must be annoying, but we can't blame everyone for what some are doing. Just because some people decide to ignore the rules, doesn't mean that everyone is at fault.

Yeah, it's just downright greed but so long as there are people willing to support and pay these people, dare I say dumb enough to, they will keep doing it.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited May 2021

Entitled?? You know who is acting entitled...content creators who think they deserve to be paid for doing a job they learned from a free tutorial and use free programs to alter a game's assets that they don't own. That's entitlement.

It wouldn't be problem if they released their works on a timely manner, but a lot of them simply aren't. The greed has gotten out of hand, I've seen people charging the same amount for sims 2 content. Some of the teirs are highly insane, the over saturation of patreon in sims community has gotten worse..everyone who immediately learns blender jumps to patreon for hand outs. Some of them are even doxxing people and making threats to others if they share/reupload their works else were or with other simmers, because it's on sites like adfly that is highly unsafe cause of viruses. I'm almost certain in EA's Eula it's stated that no one needs permission or compensation to use someone else's UGC. Most people do leave credit though. Another thing most of these cc creators absolutely are using free programs or programs that they have cracked in order to create this...it's widely known that they do cause some of programs they use to make items like hair, is not free. Cinema4d and maya aren't cheap but they find ways to get these programs for free.

58d46fa862f07489c9d536609c050e4b1c7ebf3b.png[img][/img]
    giphy.gif

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

It wouldn't be problem if they released their works on a timely manner, but a lot of them simply aren't. The greed has gotten out of hand, I've seen people charging the same amount for sims 2 content. Some of the teirs are highly insane, the over saturation of patreon in sims community has gotten worse..everyone who immediately learns blender jumps to patreon for hand outs. Some of them are even doxxing people and making threats to others if they share/reupload their works else were or with other simmers, because it's on sites like adfly that is highly unsafe cause of viruses. I'm almost certain in EA's Eula it's stated that no one needs permission or compensation to use someone else's UGC. Most people do leave credit though. Another thing most of these cc creators absolutely are using free programs or programs that they have cracked in order to create this...it's widely known that they do cause some of programs they use to make items like hair, is not free. Cinema4d and maya aren't cheap but they find ways to get these programs for free.

58d46fa862f07489c9d536609c050e4b1c7ebf3b.png[img][/img]

Lol i honestly side eye the buyers of this stuff more than the creators. Who out here paying 100 dollars for sims clothes and items when the internet is full of free stuff???!!!!!!! I literally have thousands of cc for free. And if there wasn't free stuff I still would not be tossing out hundreds for this stuff🤣🤣🤣
    Unless you are well off with money to burn and not a care in the world it's definitely very strange on the buyers part. It doesn't really seem like a rip off if people are willing to pay that. ... hopefully it's not the same people crying that a kit is too expensive for 5 dollars 😂😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(