Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

College is boring.. any ideas?

Cassandra Goth just started college. And it’s so boring. Tons of classes, homework, I’m having her stand in front of a mirror to practice debate. She went to a college organization, and it was 3 people jumping up and down in an empty field.

Any tips on how to make this expansion more fun?

Comments

• Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited April 2021
    All I can say is that I feel your pain. The debate organization was more fun for me. Your Sim gets to do something and has goals to work on like convincing other Sims to do things. You can even get them to do your homework. (Maybe not the best way to do well on the final exam though.)

Be sure to spend some evenings at Pepper's Pub. I downloaded a better one from the gallery.

Maybe introduce some romance? Or make a homework club to make friends.

I haven't joined the secret society, but it might be especially fun to do with Cassandra. You can research it on those machines in the library.

If worse comes to worse install the shorter university mod and finish it early. (The one on patreon is the up to date one.)

Post edited by telemwill on
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    My sim had a job in the trendsetter career while she attended college. She worked from home so she fit it in around classes. A lot of her job involved interviewing other students about fashion, and taking photos. I enjoyed that.

I used the calendar in Seasons to make custom holidays. She still had to go to class, but there were activities that she did to celebrate the holiday - like streaking. And some of the other students joined her.

She would go visit the other campus, or the bar, or library. I even took her snow skiing one weekend.

My sim went to art classes down by the river, attended the pep rallies, and watched the debates. I got her a bicycle and she would ride around pretending to go to class, but then would dart off somewhere else at the last minute. I had to get rid off the bicycle because she skipped too many classes.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I started using University in March, so I'm still learning how to handle it.

I sent my first few students to Uni and dealt with that grind on campus. The only way I could do it was to load up the dorm with all the skill building stuff, because they just waste so much time going from place to place. My dorms had 2 floors, one floor for the dorms and a lunchroom and a second floor that had every fun or skill building thing I could find, including yoga mats and treadmills. they only had to leave the dorm to go to class. Then the little idi-dots would wander off just before class started and be in trouble for being late all the time. Sometimes they missed class altogether - no surprise that this usually happened on exam day!

They also constantly lost their homework.

It's a lot easier dealing with Uni by living in a house and letting them go off to class on their own. But it's still a grind. I generally have them start class either Thursday or Friday night, that way I have the whole weekend to get their Presentations or Term papers written before they even have to start classes.

As for the social clubs, forget it. I found watching them dull and never bothered to sign them up.

OH I almost forgot - Super good beds are a must!

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    Uni in TS4 did not cut it for me. I think it's the worst version. I don't mind the classes too much, but the organizations are....okay at best (I'm sick and tired of the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 goals in this game), and they barely included the party aspects that Uni has. Uni parties were done much better in TS3 imo...there was so much to do there.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    Cassandra Goth just started college. And it’s so boring. Tons of classes, homework, I’m having her stand in front of a mirror to practice debate. She went to a college organization, and it was 3 people jumping up and down in an empty field.

Any tips on how to make this expansion more fun?

Party like there is no tomorrow and drop out like my sim did😂😂😂😂
    Seriously though.. I couldn't tolerate it. My sim is degreeless and unemployed living her best life 😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Have your sim gain research and debate and the degree skills before going to college ( which also makes sense in real life) then you will have more free time to enjoy the different activities.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I tend to only take 2 classes these days, to give more time for my sims to have fun. And I also only play them for a few of their semesters, the rest of the time I leave them to it while I have rotated away to a different household. But they won't get an A or an A+ that way.

Uni is a great time to develop friendships and romance, and try out the keg parties :D
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Yeah it tends to be the most social time any of my sims get, even with my usual 3-class workload. Mostly because it allows for at least activity within the local organizations and such. And you know, so many fellow Sims within close proxminty.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    xXPandoraXxxXPandoraXx Posts: 28 Member
    I tend to only take 2 classes these days, to give more time for my sims to have fun. And I also only play them for a few of their semesters, the rest of the time I leave them to it while I have rotated away to a different household. But they won't get an A or an A+ that way.

Uni is a great time to develop friendships and romance, and try out the keg parties :D

Whenever I rotate away my sims will end up on probation. How do you have them finish without playing them?

Let children ride bikes! Let sims have actual one-sided relationships!
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2021
    College sucks, don't go. Education is very important and will broaden one's horizons.

My advice: don't try to make your sim perfect in all their classes. Stay out too late, do too much, miss assignments, get on probation, considering flunking out. If all you focus on is assignments, it WILL be a grind and may feel far too much like just...going to college and grinding away at coursework. Honestly, if your sim isn't staying up too late not doing homework, isn't exhausted all the time, and isn't late for/missing classes, I feel like you're doing it wrong. Or maybe I did it wrong.

I like to give my sims a massive workload max classes, and then flub it all by trying to do too much/getting distracted by fun things. Can attest, an upgraded Pepper's Pub and campus commons are GREAT for making the campus and city feel more alive. While DU has its societies, add in some clubs! Nerdy clubs or up-to-no-good clubs that meet on or near campus. Agree to what was said above also, add in some holidays with activities specific to a campus or college students. Polar bear club for the winter, streaking. All of the silly things that seem more absurd otherwise but would be good for students trying to experience life in potentially dangerous or ridiculous ways. Even if your sim doesn't join a club, having a club meet somewhere and get up to different activities while your sim is there can add a bit of life to the environment.

Honestly, DU is most fun for me when my sims are NOT doing well, or are having fun focusing on unrelated activities that make the actual schooling part more difficult. One of the biggest struggles of college can be trying to balance all of the coursework with just experiencing life and a new environment and new people, and having a sim struggle with that and possibly mess up a bunch seems great to me. But, I like imperfect playing.

Also...make them a vampire? Feeding on dorm mates at night??? Struggling with an umbrella so they don't die walking to class?
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited May 2021
    Up your game. I am currently taking seven Sims, all living in the same Dorm, through college. Each are taking four classes. One is a Global Superstar (Rock Star), so I have to juggle his career along with this school work. Not always a cake-walk, either. With only one Sim to fuss over, you should have more opportunities to check out activities. Have you taken your Sim to the art-class activity? It's down behind Darby Hall where they can get free food, close to the 'river'. This can be fun. Or, you can take her to dance in Windenburg, too. I don't keep my Sims confined to the campus. I do get them started on their homework, term papers, presentations, etc. But when it's time for fun, it's time for fun. My Sim, Erik, the celebrity+ told his siblings "All study and no play makes for a grumpy Sim." This from the high school student who had a meltdown ON STAGE one night, because he realized he had additional homework he failed to complete before his evening concert. He learned a hard lesson that night.
    Erik having his meltdown:
    BCMU8qV.jpg
    The Uni Students today:
    sG1HvDl.jpg
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    edited May 2021
    Have a couple characters and play them differently.

My generation 2 was Marcellus and Fletcher. Marcellus was a loving unambitious Friend of the World who loved violin and parties. Fletcher was a driven, high-achieving science/villainy nerd who wanted to become an interstellar smuggler. They went to college at the same time so that Fletcher could do 4 classes at once and ace them. Meanwhile Marcellus did 2 classes at a time, only did well in those he already had skill in, and dropped out as soon as Fletcher was done. They took off to Mt. Komorebi for a vacation one weekend; when they relaxed at the bar at the end of the day, Marcellus talked to everyone and played violin for tips, while Fletcher wrote papers on her laptop at a table.
    She became an interstellar smuggler as planned, and moved out into a nice house. He stayed at his parents', moved his girlfriend in and became a wonderful stay-at-home dad.

Generation 3 was Cecilia, Valentín and Eliana. Cecilia did college from home as a single mom with triplet babies. She used potions to get her through the day, which I played as a story about addiction. Valentín did college from home as well (kinda had to, since Cecilia was home) but spent most of his free time dating his boyfriend and painting. Eliana didn't do college at all-- she went straight from high school into her music career.

Generation 4 is Tamir, Vincent and Julius. They are triplets and started at Britechester at the same time. They are each taking 3 classes at a time. No one is failing since that doesn't fit any of the characters. But only Julius is getting A+s in everything, because it fits him. He wants to be a scientist and is a genius, is doing some magic study on the side and seeing his girlfriend in what spare time he has. I gave him the Night Owl reward trait so he loves staying up all night to work on school and get the bigger skill boost. Meanwhile, Vincent is a B+ student who really wants to learn about gourmet vegetarian cooking and throwing great parties, and maybe become a famous chef one day. Tamir is a B-/C+ student who likes school okay, but he spends most of his time writing his own books and playing soccer. They go to magic realm as a family every Friday night (okay, Tamir often ditches that to go play soccer) and they go rock climbing together every Saturday.

It's not boring if everyone is different :)

• Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited May 2021
    I like to send 4 students to live with the Elderberries in Britechester. The Elderberries will cook, clean, and do laundry for the students. Their home is equipped with laptops, computers, chess table and few fun small appliances. I make the students transfer money to the household for their stay. The students send in poor presentations and term papers, go to class, take notes and do homework. They still get all A's. One elective class is debate because as you level up you can finish homework faster or something. It's very beneficial. But i'll have future students have debate skills prior to going to university. At the end of each term I send my sims to Sulani to enjoy the beach and maybe to a bar during term if all uni work is done. I sometimes send a sim to visit family for the day or so.

Last time I played one of the students was a spellcaster who brewed tons of "plentiful need" potion to keep them grinding on their school work. loved it. lol Oh and I like the secret society organization for my occult sims. Ohhh and I think the debate event is fun. Actually I like all the campus events.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    FleurraFleurra Posts: 19 Member
    I had the same feeling. Personally I started enjoying college more when I did less classes per semester and more free time to goof around. But the actual experience of graduating is still meh.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member

Whenever I rotate away my sims will end up on probation. How do you have them finish without playing them?
    Well, it seems like something changed recently, as I now have them on probation whenever I rotate back to them. This never used to happen to me, it would always just give them a random grade and they would be fine.

Darn it! I guess I will always have to play them through to the end now. This being the case, I will keep future uni students at home as it is pretty boring to send them to the uni housing.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Use Get Together to make a pair of Sorority or Fraternity clubs.
    They're rivals, and they have two goals: throw parties and pull pranks on the other club.

The clubs will be constantly sowing chaos around campus, and your Sim will be exhausted from the neverending parties.

I guarantee a big problem here is that TS4 is too easy. So make it harder.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    I didn't really enjoy university either.

I think part of my problem was that I like to switch between households, and you can't do that with the university pack very well. If I log into another household, the character I was using will miss classes and get bad grades.

I found university works better for my sims if they live at home, so I can play with their family members while they're in class.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    I love DU. My sim has 4 degrees and will soon start on her next one. She lives at home and is raising a family so Uni isn't her whole existence.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    University is my least favourite pack, but I try to make the most of it. I'm planning to have a few kids of the neighbourhood go to uni together, so that I'm playing them all in the same dorm. I have also placed uni housing in other worlds, so I could pretend sims become exchange students in Windenburg or Mt. Komorebi.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I really loved college in Sims 2 & 3 so i bought Uni in Sims 4, excited about trying it. My biggest disappointment was the inability to put a group of Sims I can control into a dorm. I did that in the previous games and found it very challenging to keep up and it allowed me to start relationships and find love for my Sims in college. And there was always drama amongst my Sim friends! I haven't tried it again in Sims 4 since. I would love to know if there is a way to play more than 1 in a dorm. In previous sims the dorm was like a household and you could play another sim just by clicking on them as in a family. Don't you have to change household to play another sim in the dorm if trying to play more than 1 in same dorm? I miss playing a group of people like before.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Monet11 wrote: »
    My sim had a job in the trendsetter career while she attended college. She worked from home so she fit it in around classes. A lot of her job involved interviewing other students about fashion, and taking photos. I enjoyed that.

I used the calendar in Seasons to make custom holidays. She still had to go to class, but there were activities that she did to celebrate the holiday - like streaking. And some of the other students joined her.

She would go visit the other campus, or the bar, or library. I even took her snow skiing one weekend.

My sim went to art classes down by the river, attended the pep rallies, and watched the debates. I got her a bicycle and she would ride around pretending to go to class, but then would dart off somewhere else at the last minute. I had to get rid off the bicycle because she skipped too many classes.
    How do go to an art class down by the river, a pep rally or watch debates? Are they things that just spring up in the game? I played the pleasants for a term and didn’t know about those things, are they rabbit holes, or something you can actually do? I still can’t make heads or tales of how they got their grades. I had them do presentations (and work on them to improve them) and homework, It took me a bit to figure out how to get each sim to classes at the same time at different schools. Lilith came out with 2 A+ and a D or F, the other one came out with B and B+’s. I thought I did the same thing with each at home..... so the grades have me baffled lol. I did read after that first semester that they need to take notes, which I’m not sure either one did. I had them do a little extra studying, and I thought they got all their exams in...... but, I swear, them going to University is a lot harder and much more boring than when I went, I actually did have some fun. I don’t much care for University in this iteration of the sims, but then I haven’t had much time to figure out where the fun things that are supposed to be in it are I guess. I did learn how to give them a roommate, who spends all her time making white cake. I play rotationally and their semester at University felt like it took forever! I rotated away after that semester. And how do you get then to pass if you rotate away??
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited May 2021
    I have to say in advance that I have aging turned off while my sims are in Uni.
    My play style takes time.

1) Edit the dorm, or download one you like, so you can play in a setting you enjoy.
    12-01-19_9-10-27nbspPM.png
    12-01-19_9-11-16nbspPM.png

12-01-19_9-11-24nbspPM.png

12-01-19_7-59-48nbspPM.png

12-01-19_10-10-30nbspPM.png

2) Edit the student commons, or download one you like because the default ones are uninspired and boring.
    09_25_20_11_24_41_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    09_26_20_8_23_21_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

09_27_20_10_35_36_AM.png

Unfortunately you have to hire a mixologist.
    09_28_20_9_22_25_AM.png

09_27_20_10_34_45_AM.png

09_27_20_10_33_44_PM.png

09_27_20_10_34_27_AM.png

09_28_20_9_30_34_AM.png

3) Edit the dormies to make them more interesting (distinctive/attractive/personality/sense of style). Have your sims get to know them for relationships during and after uni. The game will eventually move them out of the dorm and you won't see them around much, but you can form a club and have them hang out at the student commons. You can call them at a moments notice by issuing a gathering.
    09_24_20_1_49_59_AM(1).png
    12_23_20_8_57_36_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And add some good ol' drama.
    I left Meadow talking to Magnus and went upstairs to see how cassandra was doing. And then I came back to this serious looking situation.
    12_27_20_9_31_46_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Actually it wasn't serious... until Zane planted one on Meadow.
    12_27_20_9_32_49_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

"Whaaaaaaaat!"
    12_27_20_9_32_59_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

12_27_20_9_34_20_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

4) Prep your teens for Uni by creating a Prep school run by Uni grads with degrees in Economics and Psychology and Careers in Education.
    Give them high parenting skills through Electives in Uni. The prep school can be full of skill building content so they won't have to skill up while in Uni, giving you more time for other things. I also use the school as a rotation point, as I only send sims in groups of 3-4 sims. I also use the rotation time between semesters to send my sims on vacation breaks to Mount Komorebi, Sulani, Silvadorada, or Batuu.
    05_16_20_12_55_33_PM.png
    05_18_20_10_07_52_AM.png

05_18_20_10_29_16_AM.png

09_07_20_10_38_46_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

09_07_20_11_11_56_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I love this because I can have various teens from the different neighborhoods under one roof.
    They get to build relationships here and not have to do it while in Uni, freeing up more time for other things.
    09_12_20_2_33_53_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

09_12_20_1_51_07_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The school counselor and administrator make it all more immersive because they are actually on the job.
    09_12_20_2_04_37_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

5) Create a Uni student store full of inventory-storeable objects. While in Uni, you may find there are things you wish you had that you can't acquire while in Uni, so drop by the student store and buy them. You will have to have a sim set up the store and maintain it. I like to pick Nancy Landgraab to own it.
    12-04-19_6-06-54nbspAM.png
    09_21_20_10_39_29_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

12-05-19_6-08-22nbspAM.png

09_19_20_9_44_45_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    ThaPhoenix1ThaPhoenix1 Posts: 132 Member
    I'd suggest your sim live on campus, I know some people don't like it, but in my experience, it's the best way to experience Uni life. I've done it both ways, but prefer living on campus.

The second your sim signs up for class, complete all homework and as many assignments as possible. I like to orchestrate things so that my sims start their semesters on Monday, which leaves them all of the weekend prior to do this (as well as studying to 'well studied' status on two occasions, letting the moodlet expire before starting again. That is sufficient to achieve A+ at the end of each semester). That way, daily homework assignments aside, your sims have tonnes of free time after class.

Have your sim(s) join organisations and attend their events. It makes things more enjoyable by giving them things to do other than attend class and complete homework.

Throw wild parties while living on campus with keggers etc. If you finish all your sim's homework the second they get home, they'll have the rest of the day free.

Have your sims go to the Quad as often as possible. There are often things to do and people to meet. In the summer, there are water balloon fights, food, cheer sessions etc.

If you can, send at least two sims to Uni at a time. That way, you can have them live together and the experience will be more enjoyable (plus, it'll keep you from having to monitor each sim separately). Have them take 4 classes each semester, which cuts the uni experience down to three weeks, not four.

Like someone above mentioned: have them join debate club. It's a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Also, there are several events that will pop up throughout the week. If your sim's homework/assignments/revision is done, they can attend as many as possible.

I'd also suggest rebuilding the student accom yourself (or downloading some off the gallery). It's infinitely more fun as you can tailor the accom to your own tastes (or those of your sims'), and if you're not a builder, there are plenty of wonderful options on the gallery.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful. I've put several sims through uni (some several times each), so these are just the conclusions I've come to. :)
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    @ck213 how long do you keep your teens at the prep school?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    @ck213 how long do you keep your teens at the prep school?

"IT IS TIME!"

I haven't gotten it down to a science yet.
    I mainly just aim towards getting them Research and Debate skills and a few skill points related to their majors.
    Plus I want to get in fun social play and perhaps a trip. When I am ready to move on to Uni, I just go.

That's why I keep aging off. :)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds